Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
georgiadawgs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2006/10/13 17:58:03 (permalink)

Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog???

Opinions...What's your favorite place in the Chicagoland area for dog's???

47 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4274
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/13 18:11:37 (permalink)
    North side-Wolfy's
    Northwest side-Hot Doug's
    Downtown-Fast Tracks
    Northwest Suburbs (Des Plaines)-Paradise Pup-Fantastic Burgers too!
    Near West Suburbs (River Forest)-Gene and Jude's

Really, it's hard to go wrong unless you find the one odd place that just doesn't get it.
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/13 18:36:50 (permalink)
    HERMS PALACE SKOKIE
    POOCHIES SKOKIE
    GENE AND JUDES
    MUNCHIES OFF ELSTON
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/13 18:38:11 (permalink)
    cmon csd either your thinking or havent seen this yet
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/13 19:17:12 (permalink)
    Poochie's in Skokie is my favorite. They serve a great char cheddar Polish with grilled onions and cheese fries.

Gene & Jude's for your basic 10/1 natural casing Vienna Beef on a steamed plain bun with a hand full of fresh cut fries for $1.60.

Stash's in Highland Park for a char cheddar jumbo or Polish and cheese fries.

Hot Doug's for a unique sausage experience. They serve duck fat fries on Friday & Saturday.

The Weiner's Circle for a char dog, cheese fries, and lot's of attitude.

The Wiener & Still Champion in Evanston for their famous "dipping dog."

The Vienna Beef Factory Store for lunch right at the factory. You can also purchase most Vienna Beef food service products, so take a cooler.

CSD

georgiadawgs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/13 21:24:11 (permalink)
    My last trip I tried a Chicago style dog at Al's Italian Beef, and one from another place for the life of me I can't remember the name of...? Al's wasn't too bad, I definately have to think there is probably a lot better out there, as far as hot dogs.

There were 2 places next door to each other, they are right off the highway, you can see them from 55, when you're heading south on 55 fro Lake Shore Dr., they are on the right side. Big yellow awning that has the Vienna beef logo. They are literally right next to each other, almost look like they are just walk up places...If anybody knows what I'm talking about, please fill me in, what are the names of these places? Are they any good???
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/13 21:43:58 (permalink)
    Jims and Maxwell Steet Express....
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/13 23:23:51 (permalink)
    They were institutions on historic Maxwell Street before the University of Illinois bought up the land and gentrified part of it and turned the rest into student housing. If you ever see any old photos of the Maxwell Street market, you may very likely see one or both of these places in their original incarnation.

They are not so much known for their Hot Dogs as their Polish Sausage Sandwiches and, perhaps even more so, their Pork Chop Sandwiches. In fact, many people referred to the corner of Halsted and Maxwell as Pork Chop Hill! The Pork Chop is served bone in, piled high with grilled onions and slathered with mustard. You have to carefully eat around the bone so as not to crack a tooth.

Just a word of warning; anytime I have visited Jim's and Maxwell Express, I have been swarmed by junkies and drunks looking for a handout as soon as I exit my car. This is a fairly harmless bunch, and anyone with any urban street savvy at all will feel unthreatened. While I refuse to give them money to feed their habit, the Hot Dogs are cheap enough that I will buy lunch for anyone who is interested, usually no more than one or two. You can handle the situation as you see fit. I am unaware of any customers being physically accosted at either Jim's or Maxwell's.

Buddy

Quick addendum: By pure coincidence, while out on a field trip this past Sunday, Mrs. Roadhouse and I found ourselves feeling a bit peckish just as we were approaching the Jim's and Maxwell Street Express neighborhood. Traffic was unbelievably congested along the road running parallel to I-94, although most of the cars were not stopping for Hot Dogs, Polish, or Pork Chop sandwiches. To my delight, the area was surprisingly junkie free! Could be because it was broad daylight, but that hasn't been an issue in the past.

On the other hand, watch out for the pigeons hanging around on the sidewalk near the eating counter mounted to the wall. On a lark, I tossed a hunk of perfectly cooked French Fry over my shoulder. Where there had been three birds a moment ago, there were now in excess of a dozen; swooping in from nowhere, all sizes and species, fighting and scratching for a bit of food.

One particularly large pigeon was bold enough to hop up on the counter less than five feet from where we were eating. He made repeated motions in our direction as if he were going to attack. I shooed him away temporarily three or four times but he just kept coming back. Finally I tossed a large Fry about five yards away. He went after it and became distracted enough not to return.

The moral here is, When at Jim's Original, don't start feeding the pigeons unless you're ready to feed the whole flock.

Buddy
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/16 02:15:47 (permalink)
    O'hare airport! The only place I ever get to in Chicago.

MikeS.
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/16 13:54:25 (permalink)

The best for me.................
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/16 14:56:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

The best for me.................

Where's the beef?
    sizz
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/16 17:28:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    chicagostyledog Posted - 10/16/2006 : 14:56:45 Where's the beef?

......................................... lol. ............ under the pickle
    phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/16 21:43:54 (permalink)
    SUPERDAWG IN THE DAY WAS AN EXPIERIENCE, NOT A HOT DOG, JUST A PLACE TO BE SEEN WITH THE HOT ROD, NOW IF THE MENU WAS THE SAME AND THEY CHANGED TO VIENNA, ADDED ITAL BEEFS.............WISHFUL THINKING
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/16 21:53:34 (permalink)

...WHERE'S THE KETCHUP???...
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8481
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/16 23:33:38 (permalink)
    You guys always make me smile-clever people.....
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/17 00:03:55 (permalink)
    Milwfoodlover and his wife

at Kewpee's during our last tour.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/17 00:08:32 (permalink)
    CSD after the Great Chicago Italian Beef Tour
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/17 12:48:33 (permalink)
    Ooooooh Dog! Nice legs! And that hat is just your color.

Buddy
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/17 17:17:59 (permalink)
    Chicago Hot Dog Movie @ The Wiener's Circle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnf3NnR79gw
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/18 00:02:38 (permalink)
    Orson Welles couldn't have done better.
    The Bear
    PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/21 18:18:32 (permalink)
    Only great place I used to enjoy a chi town hotdog was at Fat Johnnie's on South western ave, It's been years since Iv'e been in Chicago, don't know if it's still there.
    guspas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/26 15:58:20 (permalink)
    that must be an old pic of the superdawg and fries. Last time I was there, the box that the fries and dog came was half that size.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/26 16:48:33 (permalink)
    gus, you're right that is a significantly larger box than what they are currently serving. The Hot Dog is the same size but now they get fewer fries in there.

And while we're on the subject of great places to pick up a Chicago Style Dog (the actual thing, not the frequent RF poster and cart maven), guspas is perhaps too modest or even too observant of the rules to toot his own horn, but I'm not.

guspas owns a nifty little joint in Evanston called The Weiner and Still Champion (hope I go that right). Definitely a place to check out when you're in the north suburbs of our fair city.

Buddy
    guspas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/26 19:57:35 (permalink)
    quote:

guspas owns a nifty little joint in Evanston called The Weiner and Still Champion (hope I go that right). Definitely a place to check out when you're in the north suburbs of our fair city.

Buddy

Jeff

Close but it's Wiener.

As for the Restaurant, I don't like to talk about how good the food is. I would rather have people stop in, taste the food and make up their own minds. It's the food not the hype.

Speaking of which, on Nov 15 at 11 a.m, were being featured on the Hungry Hound segment of the Channel 7 ABC News here in Chicago if anyone wants to check it out.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/26 23:22:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by guspas

Close but it's Wiener.
    After two years of high school German, I should have caught that. Anyone who's studied any Latin root European language knows that with the "i-e" or "e-i" combination you always pronounce the second letter in the pair. Much simpler and consistent than all that "i before e, except after c" baloney. Obviously then, the word "Wiener" is spelled "ie". Not paying attention I guess.

quote:
    ...Speaking of which, on Nov 15 at 11 a.m, were being featured on the Hungry Hound segment of the Channel 7 ABC News here in Chicago if anyone wants to check it out.
    Congratulations! Now get ready for the onslaught!

As you probably know I worked at a certain north suburban Chicago Pizza joint in the 70s and 80s that was regularly featured in the newspapers and on TV. Everytime there was an article or video piece done on us we were swamped for about a month. Our regular customers knew to stay away for a few weeks until things went back to normal (which was pretty busy anyway).

In fact the latest incarnation of that Pizza haven, now known as Burt's Place, was recently featured in Time Out Chicago magazine as well as recieving the Great Neighborhood Restuarant Award from the LTHforum.com bunch. We've seen a distinct uptick in business over the last couple of months.

In other words, Be Prepared!

Good luck,

Buddy
    gpbaker55
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/27 14:00:32 (permalink)
    Do I remember Maxwell St, My father bought every suit he owned there. Just a note I went to U of I at navy pier 1964 before Circle Campus was opened
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

They were institutions on historic Maxwell Street before the University of Illinois bought up the land and gentrified part of it and turned the rest into student housing. If you ever see any old photos of the Maxwell Street market, you may very likely see one or both of these places in their original incarnation.

They are not so much known for their Hot Dogs as their Polish Sausage Sandwiches and, perhaps even more so, their Pork Chop Sandwiches. In fact, many people referred to the corner of Halsted and Maxwell as Pork Chop Hill! The Pork Chop is served bone in, piled high with grilled onions and slathered with mustard. You have to carefully eat around the bone so as not to crack a tooth.

Just a word of warning; anytime I have visited Jim's and Maxwell Express, I have been swarmed by junkies and drunks looking for a handout as soon as I exit my car. This is a fairly harmless bunch, and anyone with any urban street savvy at all will feel unthreatened. While I refuse to give them money to feed their habit, the Hot Dogs are cheap enough that I will buy lunch for anyone who is interested, usually no more than one or two. You can handle the situation as you see fit. I am unaware of any customers being physically accosted at either Jim's or Maxwell's.

Buddy

Quick addendum: By pure coincidence, while out on a field trip this past Sunday, Mrs. Roadhouse and I found ourselves feeling a bit peckish just as we were approaching the Jim's and Maxwell Street Express neighborhood. Traffic was unbelievably congested along the road running parallel to I-94, although most of the cars were not stopping for Hot Dogs, Polish, or Pork Chop sandwiches. To my delight, the area was surprisingly junkie free! Could be because it was broad daylight, but that hasn't been an issue in the past.

On the other hand, watch out for the pigeons hanging around on the sidewalk near the eating counter mounted to the wall. On a lark, I tossed a hunk of perfectly cooked French Fry over my shoulder. Where there had been three birds a moment ago, there were now in excess of a dozen; swooping in from nowhere, all sizes and species, fighting and scratching for a bit of food.

One particularly large pigeon was bold enough to hop up on the counter less than five feet from where we were eating. He made repeated motions in our direction as if he were going to attack. I shooed him away temporarily three or four times but he just kept coming back. Finally I tossed a large Fry about five yards away. He went after it and became distracted enough not to return.

The moral here is, When at Jim's Original, don't start feeding the pigeons unless you're ready to feed the whole flock.

Buddy
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/27 15:26:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by guspas

that must be an old pic of the superdawg and fries. Last time I was there, the box that the fries and dog came was half that size.

I was at Superdawg last night. It looks like a hamburger box to me. The hot dog box is much smaller.
    sizz
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/27 16:29:53 (permalink)

check this out...................... some pretty good info
    http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/ratings.php#chicago
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/10/27 16:56:11 (permalink)
    Fun site! Who knew Madison, Wisconsin was such a hot bed of Hot Dog activity? And all this time I thought Chicagostyledog served the only true Chicago Style Dog in the Dairy State. Live and learn.

Buddy
    guspas
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorite place in Chi-Town for a Chicago dog??? 2006/11/15 18:51:13 (permalink)
    The segment on my lil hotdog stand aired today. They also featured Poochies in Skokie.

Here is the link if u want to check it out.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=restaurants&id=4764015
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1