Favorite subs?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/20 18:04:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Deep dark secret:

I like Subway's tuna (nothin' but mayo and canned tuna) with pickles and tomatoes on unborn white bread.

Oh, the humidity.

I'll admit to the same thing, only Blimpie's tuna - with onions, hot peppers, LOTS of vinegar and oregano. It's not my favorite but its cheap and close to work. I'm really not a "sub" person, but more a sandwich type of gal. Turkey & Muenster on good rye with mayo, or Rare roast beef with butter and mustard (wierd but really good!) and every thing has to be ultra ultra thin.
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1036
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/20 19:14:28 (permalink)
This is probably heresy on this site, but how about the subs at Safeway. At least here in Cal. they have a wide selection of pretty good made-to-order subs on a variety of artisan rolls.

To me a sub will always be the ones at Pizza King/Sir Pizza. They were toasted on the outside with lots of stringy melted cheese on the inside. Different than a classic sub / grinder / hoagie / torpedo, but oh so good.

Phil B.
HiredGoon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/20 23:26:44 (permalink)
Of course I love a good italian sub just as much as the next person, but I have a couple other favorite subs.

Lots of avocado and provolone cheese, with some lettuce, onions (red of course) and tomato on whole wheat bread, with some mayo and cracked black pepper.

Or, lots of hummus, cucumber slices, and roasted red peppers with lettuce onion and tomato on whole wheat bread.
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/21 07:09:32 (permalink)
I -love- a good Italian sub, and let me tell you, finding the "real deal" is next to impossible in the DC metro area. There are a few Italian delis that come close, but none surpass the Italian cold cut I get from Casapulla's sub shop in Elsmere, Delaware. Whenever I go to DE, I try to incorporate a visit to the store; I'm not sure what their particular "secret" is--it's simply a variety of Italian cold cuts, oil-n-vinegar dressing and pickle chips--but it's the most delicious sub I've ever had.

Safeway's Italian cold cut is fairly decent, but they put olives on it, so it's kinda like a muffalatto (sp?)! Jerry's also makes a decent Italian cold cut--but you have to ask for the pickles! The closest versions normally come from the neighborhood Italian delis, which you really have to go into the city of Washington DC to seek out...somewhere I don't venture as much as I used to!

-tarragon
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/21 09:52:17 (permalink)
I am a Sub fanatic. The best Sub (Hoagie) I ever had was at the Reading Terminal in Philadelphia

Imported Sopperesata, Hot Capacola, Procuitto, Sharp Provolone
Roasted hot peppers w lettuce tomato onion V&O and marvelous Bread.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/23 17:06:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 911mom

I think that the sauce makes the hoagie. There is a hoagie shop in Sayre, PA called Nocchi's that has the greatest oil I have ever tasted. The owner makes it according to a secret recipe that hasn't changed in over 30 years. Legend has it that he makes up a giant batch about every 6 months. The sub itself isn't really special-basic cold meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and fresh green peppers- but once the sauce is applied, the hoagie is elevated to the heights of oral exctasy!

/
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/23 17:16:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 911mom

I think that the sauce makes the hoagie. There is a hoagie shop in Sayre, PA called Nocchi's that has the greatest oil I have ever tasted. The owner makes it according to a secret recipe that hasn't changed in over 30 years. Legend has it that he makes up a giant batch about every 6 months. The sub itself isn't really special-basic cold meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and fresh green peppers- but once the sauce is applied, the hoagie is elevated to the heights of oral exctasy!

We have a place called "The Original Alan's Cubana"(since 1962) they make a great sub called a "T.J.'s Belly Buster", roast beef, imported ham, provolone, swiss, lettuce, tomato, mayo, onion, pickle and "super sauce". Not a exotic combination but that "super sauce" really makes this delicious! They also have 200 imported and domestic beers, 17 draft beers, wine and liquors, and a whole host of hot sauces. Oh and the BEST chicken salad I've ever had....
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/23 19:26:12 (permalink)
aleswench
Hamburger

66 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2004 : 18:04:01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Deep dark secret:

I like Subway's tuna (nothin' but mayo and canned tuna) with pickles and tomatoes on unborn white bread.

Oh, the humidity.

I'll admit to the same thing, only Blimpie's tuna - with onions, hot peppers, LOTS of vinegar and oregano. It's not my favorite but its cheap and close to work. I'm really not a "sub" person, but more a sandwich type of gal. Turkey & Muenster on good rye with mayo, or Rare roast beef with butter and mustard (wierd but really good!) and every thing has to be ultra ultra thin.

How in the world does Subway and Blimpie get their bread so soft? Reading this thread I keep coming across "good crusty bread" as a pre-requisite of a good sub. I totally agree and this is why a local chain is often superior to national and yet those are the ones that keep spreading. While traveling I search for Q and then subs. It's truly difficult if your in an unknown area and then I usually settle for a Subway seafood sub with their feeble attempt at an artisan sub roll.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/23 20:26:51 (permalink)
I just got back from a weekend in Philadelphia. And had a chance to stop in at Sarcone's, at 9th and Fitzwater. About as good as it gets. Never mind the fact that they use the genuine stuff in terms of fillings -- real meats and cheeses, no matter what flavor you order -- the bread is absolutely the best I've ever found. Amoroso is the standard of good; Sarcone is excellent. CheeseWit and others in the know already have commented on Sarcone's.

Stay away from those neon cheesesteak places down the street -- get to Sarcone's for a hoagie.
Kent Daniels
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/24 00:52:44 (permalink)
Wichita has a locally-owned place called "The Grinder Man" that used to produce what they called a "Hero" that had Capicolla, Genoa Salami, Provolone cheese, onions, sliced banana peppers and Italian dressing on a freshly-baked wheat roll, that was REALLY good until they got cheap and started using this ersatz capicolla that was really just ham with the edges dyed red. They're still okay, but the quality of ingredients is no better than the chain sub stores. I have discovered that our local Dillons stores are selling 3-oz portions of capicolla and mortadella and prosciutto and all those other interesting Italian meats. They're kind of pricey on a per-pound basis, but I'm tempted to pick some up and make myself a REAL sub.
I've never made it to Philadelphia for a cheese steak, or Florida for a Cuban sandwich, so maybe I'm lacking in sandwich expertise, but my favorite is a roast beef club with thinly slikced roast, crisp bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo, on a nice, crusty wheat roll.
spaniel
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/09/11 11:52:12 (permalink)
My favorite is a hot mushroom & egg sub/grinder with lots of melted cheese. Being a most-of-the-time vegetarian, it took me a while to find a sub I could love, since the majority of them are, well, meaty, and the other standard meatless options didn't have much appeal. The mushroom & egg seems to be not quite a standard on sub menus, but I get it whenever it's offered. For a while I was under the misimpression that the eggs in this sandwich were either hard-cooked or in the form of egg salad, but actually they are scrambled. Glad this has been cleared up!
elswinger
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/09/14 00:24:29 (permalink)
I love French Dip, but I don't consider it a Sub either.

I like Cotto Salami and Balogna with American cheese, yellow mustard, and ed black peppercorns on a sesame Hoagie roll, heated until the cheese melts and the meat is warm, served with bbq potato chips.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Favorite subs? 2004/09/14 08:54:15 (permalink)
If anyone is fortunate enough to have a Vietnamese restaurant in town (we have perhaps 6), the ones we have all serve what we call Vietnamese subs. Somewhat unfamilar, but tasty ingredients, on a crusty french bread.
marvantis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/11/16 21:14:01 (permalink)
Wow I cant believe no one mentioned Whitehouse Sub Shop in A.C NJ. Hands down they have the best subs in the nation.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/11/17 00:31:12 (permalink)
The best sub sandwich I've ever had is served at Hero King, 406 Market Street, Newark, NJ, a block below Penn Station. Open weekdays only. The ingredients are good, they really pile it on, and they use Cucuzella's Italian bread. Fuhhgeddaboutit!
mabk34
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/09 15:51:11 (permalink)
I'm radically partial to the Italian or turkey subs from Milano's in Dayton, near the UD campus. Every penny I didn't spend on beer or books went to supporting Milano's owners and employees!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/12 21:09:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

aleswench
Hamburger

66 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2004 : 18:04:01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Deep dark secret:

Oh, the humidity.

How in the world does Subway and Blimpie get their bread so soft? Reading this thread I keep coming across "good crusty bread" as a pre-requisite of a good sub. I totally agree and this is why a local chain is often superior to national and yet those are the ones that keep spreading. While traveling I search for Q and then subs. It's truly difficult if your in an unknown area and then I usually settle for a Subway seafood sub with their feeble attempt at an artisan sub roll.

I love a fresh veggie sub from Subway on their Italian Herb bread..
Add a little pepper jack cheese-if it's available, and It is so good.. I tell everyone, and when they try one, they tell me how good it was...
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/12 21:12:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
Originally posted by efuery

my faves (we call them grinders here in New England)

We do? I just see 'em called subs, here in Boston, anyway.

Genoa, pepperoni and some kind of ham -- speck is nice if you can find it, but prosciutto or even a simple Virginia country-style are fine -- with shredded lettuce, black olives, red onions, lotsa hots and some pickle chips, sprinkled with pepper and drizzled in a ton of oil and vinegar.

Seen 'em as SUBS here in Maine also....
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/19 13:42:58 (permalink)
In much of coastal New England, I believe "sub" won out after a protracted battle in the 50s and 60s with "grinder," "hero," "hoagie," and even "wedge."

Best? Definitely a meatball, with provolone, baked until the cheese is just bubbling and the crust crackling.

Then again, that good "real" eggplant parm someone mentioned can be a piece of art worth the Maalox chaser.

Of course, Summer's better for a good Italian with real cold cuts and a chopped salad on top. Light on the hots.

And you can't beat a Steak Bomb with cheese, onions, 'shrooms, peppers and a slice of cappicola. Then there's veal parm made with a real cutlet, and don't forget sausage & peppers with red sauce, oh! and egg & pepper.

Comes right down to it, they're all good, and I just feel lost anywhere in the country that doesn't have locals that are better than Subway (thanks for the description "unborn bread") or Quiznos.

Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/19 14:10:59 (permalink)
Hot meatloaf and gravy sub. Kind of a blue collar french dip.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/19 14:41:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by plb

This is probably heresy on this site, but how about the subs at Safeway. At least here in Cal. they have a wide selection of pretty good made-to-order subs on a variety of artisan rolls.

To me a sub will always be the ones at Pizza King/Sir Pizza. They were toasted on the outside with lots of stringy melted cheese on the inside. Different than a classic sub / grinder / hoagie / torpedo, but oh so good.

Phil B.

I would offer that one would be more likely condemned and called a heretic from mentioning those subs at Sir Pizza rather than Safeway.
I'm quite upset that subway has felt the need to "toast" their subs becsause of competition from Quizno's. Just wrong. Subway was once a good chain. Now, it needs to be put in the "chains that have gone downhill" thread.

Quite often, the best subs are found at pizza joints, especially up North, but I don't call Sir Pizza's pies, "pizza." So, one can imagine the thought of a sub from there. And a toasted one at that.
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/19 15:31:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marvantis

Wow I cant believe no one mentioned Whitehouse Sub Shop in A.C NJ. Hands down they have the best subs in the nation.

Whitehouse Subs has received many mentions in other sub threads on Roadfood.com. I have read many comments about how good they are and I look forward to trying one someday, but I'm not sure if I'll think it is that much better than some of the other really good subs I have had.

When you think about it, a sub doesn't really require anything in the way of cooking. Just a really high quality roll and cold cuts, and fresh veggies along with a good dressing. It's all in the quality of the ingredients and I'm sure there are many places that make great subs. The best I've had have usually been in small family run Italian deli's. One of the best non-deli sub shops in our area is is DiBella's.
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/20 19:03:31 (permalink)
Well, it certainly isn't Quizno's! Yesterday, due to a lack of any other options, I reluctantly ordered one of their subs.

All I can say is that the whole is less than the sum of the parts. How one can combine all of those ingredients, and yet produce a sandwich with virtually no taste, is beyond me. Yes, I know that the quality of the cold cuts is probably not the best, but even something like Subway sandwiches are better than the crap that I had at Quizno's.

Never again!
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/21 11:34:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

Well, it certainly isn't Quizno's! Yesterday, due to a lack of any other options, I reluctantly ordered one of their subs.

All I can say is that the whole is less than the sum of the parts. How one can combine all of those ingredients, and yet produce a sandwich with virtually no taste, is beyond me. Yes, I know that the quality of the cold cuts is probably not the best, but even something like Subway sandwiches are better than the crap that I had at Quizno's.

Never again!

tell us how you really feel.

I can't understand it either, how you can have that much stuff in a sub and it still is...a let down of flavor.

WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/21 13:53:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tarragon

I -love- a good Italian sub, and let me tell you, finding the "real deal" is next to impossible in the DC metro area. There are a few Italian delis that come close, but none surpass the Italian cold cut I get from Casapulla's sub shop in Elsmere, Delaware. Whenever I go to DE, I try to incorporate a visit to the store; I'm not sure what their particular "secret" is--it's simply a variety of Italian cold cuts, oil-n-vinegar dressing and pickle chips--but it's the most delicious sub I've ever had.

At first, I thought you meant Capriotti's (http://www.capriottis.com/), but Casapulla's and Capriotti's are two different places!

I live in Delaware and my family gets subs from Capriotti's quite often.

~Jessica
Ferd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/21 15:54:29 (permalink)
I moved from Pittsburgh to Worcester, Mass in 1950. Quite a culture shock. Had not been exposed to Italian food. I remember getting a "guinie grinder" on Shrewsbury Street for less than a dolar; my standard Satuarday lunch.
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: Favorite subs? 2005/12/31 12:21:33 (permalink)
The best ones are often found at home --- slice a soft baguette and load it up with Boar's Head meat and your favorite condiments (onions and garlic and pepperoncini and tomatoes and lettuce are a necessity here) and your favorite cheese and spices and dressing and toast them up in the oven to where the outside's toasty but the inside's soft and yum.
But tuna subs, no! at least here.

Andrea
BearHit
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Favorite subs? 2006/01/06 08:18:31 (permalink)
The first time I tasted the French Dip was in Biloxi at Mary Mahoney's after a late night show.

I haven't had one as good since - but there are so many good ones to choose from.

The Wicked Chicken Cheesesteak at P.J. Whelihan's in South Jersey is tasty. Spicy Buffalo Chicken with chunky Bleu Cheese dressing on the side...
Brookerme
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Favorite subs? 2006/01/06 09:40:37 (permalink)
In Hartford its Franklin Giant Grinder- go with the combo or the chicken cutlet
marxbro
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Favorite subs? 2006/01/06 10:38:19 (permalink)
New England has some great subs. I like Pinocchio's in Harvard Square. In LA Bay Cities (in Santa Monica) does it right. They make their bread right onsite. The meatball is great.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1