Favorite subs?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
2004/04/12 01:21:08 (permalink)

Favorite subs?

I have always loved italian subs. I normally get the meats [love the salami] and the cheeses [any kind! the more cheese, the merrier!] with lots of oil and vinegar added on. Sometimes a little lettuce or some pickles if I feel like it. It can't be beat!

What are your favorite subs?

~Jessica

87 Replies Related Threads

Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/04/12 01:52:20 (permalink)

Right up my alley, I CRAVE subs constantly. One of my favs is a nice ham and genoa style salami with provalone or swiss cheese or both. I'm quite particular about the way it's built. I love ultra thin sliced meats and plenty of them, at least a 3:1 ratio of meat to cheese. The bread must be crusty and firm outside, but have a nice yield when biten into. I love everything on a sub, particularly sweet peppers or maybe some pepperoncini, and the lettuce must be shredded. Tomato, onion, pickle chips, mustard, and all drowning in a sea of oil and vinegar. Must be topped with finely fresh ground black pepper, and maybe a smidge of fresh ground seasalt. The cool thing about this "Grinder" is it can be served cold or wrapped in foil and warmed up. Tastes fantastic both ways.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/04/13 10:48:05 (permalink)
    Mmmmm...I regularly get cravings for Italian cold cut subs. I like the oil and vinegar to drip out and run down my hand when I bite into it. I must have olives on mine. A good meatball and provolone sub with a spicy marinara sauce is always good, too.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/04/13 11:24:23 (permalink)
    my faves (we call them grinders here in New England):

Meatball or chicken cutlet parmesan - toasted, of course

Chicken cutlet toasted with mozzarella cheese, red onion and green pepper then topped with shredded lettuce just before devouring

San Remo (Giovanni's deli in Danbury, CT)= thin chicken cutlet topped with mozzarella, roasted red peppers and pesto sauce

buffalo style chicken - chicken (can be a breaded cutlet, deli sliced breast, or leftovers from dinner) smothered with hot sauce and toasted then topped with ranch dressing (sorry, I don't care for blue cheese) and shredded lettuce

Philly cheesesteak

French Dip - Marbledale pub in CT makes a real good one!

Ham and cheese (swiss or provolone)

All prepared on GOOD crusty bread or rolls

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6648
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/04/13 12:26:24 (permalink)
    Sopressada, mortadella, salami, prosciutto, provolone, olives and roasted red peppers, on crusty bread liberally spread with olive oil and vinegar.

In a grocery store in Le Mars, Iowa, asking the nice boy behind the meat counter, "do you have any prosciutto?" Reply was, "Ma'am I don't even know what that is!" Alrighty!!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/04/13 13:51:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Sopressada, mortadella, salami, prosciutto, provolone, olives and roasted red peppers, on crusty bread liberally spread with olive oil and vinegar.

Im droolin!---fortunatly my costruction helper lives three blocks from Lovera's Italian Market---think i will have him pick up Muffalatta's for lunch on his way up tomorro!
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/04/13 13:54:42 (permalink)
    A now defunct place in Fresno called "Greg's" used to make a sub with bbq beef, smoked gouda, and wax peppers that I still dream about. Back when I was young enough to handle drinking, I used to add crunched up Ranch Flavored Fritos (also defunct) to cure a hangover.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18268
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/04/13 14:31:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

In a grocery store in Le Mars, Iowa, asking the nice boy behind the meat counter, "do you have any prosciutto?" Reply was, "Ma'am I don't even know what that is!" Alrighty!!!

We're close. I like mine with Genoa salami, hot capocolla, mortadella, provolone, roasted red peppers, olives, a little shredded lettuce, olive oil and pepper. I like to warm the bread, cut-side up in the oven and rubbed with garlic.
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/04/17 16:51:38 (permalink)
    Italian hoagie for me, please. When we were on vacation a couple months ago we drove from Sanibel to Naples. One the way down we were surprised -- and delighted -- to find a real New York style deli on the side of the road. I can't remember the name of it but I'll check my trip notes. It's run by a family from New York, a son and his parents.

Had great grub there... overstuffed Italian hoagie and the better half had a cheesy, delicious Reuben.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/04/18 09:00:08 (permalink)
    hmmm good topic..
    my all time favorite sub place is jersey mikes.. and my favorite sub would have to be roast beef/swiss/mayo/lettuce/tomato/salt and pepper on white.. that's it.. plain and simple..

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/04/18 11:12:46 (permalink)
    I have 2 favorites... Always a toss up on which to get. #1 is a Pizza Sub (Baked), with ham, green peppers, mushrooms, onion and peperoni baked on top of the mozz. cheese. The second would be a roast beef with mayo, green peppers onion and mozz. cheese baked then toss in some shredded lettuce and tomato.
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/06/08 15:42:15 (permalink)
    Boar's Head bologna on fresh-baked Italian bread with shredded lettuce and gobs of Hebrew National deli mustard, accompanied by a bag of Wise potato chips, a crisp half-sour dill pickle, and an icy bottle of late, lamented Frosty Root Beer will always be my choice for favorite hero. - Rusty
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/06/08 15:54:49 (permalink)
    Steak and cheese on a fresh roll, with oil/vinegar, a little mayo, a little lettuce and maybe a few onions.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/06/08 16:24:00 (permalink)
    There are lots of good subs. My favorite is italian style; a good fresh roll, slightly crusty on the outside, still warm from the oven, with lettuce, lots of tomatoes, onion, sweet and hot peppers and oil and vinegar dressing. Finish off with genoa salami, smoked turkey, and provalone cheese. Some crumbled black and green greek olives if available.

I also love a good french dip roast beef, but I don't classify that as a sub or grinder as I prefer the roast beef with no veggies or cheese. Got to have the veggies, oil and vinegar dressing, and cheese to be a sub...
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/06/08 16:35:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by efuery

my faves (we call them grinders here in New England)

We do? I just see 'em called subs, here in Boston, anyway.

Genoa, pepperoni and some kind of ham -- speck is nice if you can find it, but prosciutto or even a simple Virginia country-style are fine -- with shredded lettuce, black olives, red onions, lotsa hots and some pickle chips, sprinkled with pepper and drizzled in a ton of oil and vinegar.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/06/08 17:47:53 (permalink)
    I like the Nautilus. It was the first one to travel under the North Pole.
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/06/08 23:02:21 (permalink)
    I remember watching Archie Bunker state that the submarine sandwich was the perfect food- it had all the vegetables , breads and meats that a person could desire. I agree - there is nothing better than a authentic New Jersey sub consisting of great Italian bread, cappicola , provolone , ham, and salami.Top that off with onions, tomatoes, lettuce, oregeno, oil and vinegar and you have the perfect sub. Since my youth in Jersey I have moved to West Tn.and have dreamed of subs even though I am in the midst of barbecue heaven. Thank goodness a Jersey Mike's recently opened not too far from here. I can sit in Jersey Mike's and enjoy my sub while thinking about the good old days. By the way the sub I described was .60 in 1967 and is now 6.50 and I am not even complaining. By the way I enjoyed my subs growing up at Roma Deli in Matawan, N.J.
    911mom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/06/08 23:33:36 (permalink)
    I think that the sauce makes the hoagie. There is a hoagie shop in Sayre, PA called Nocchi's that has the greatest oil I have ever tasted. The owner makes it according to a secret recipe that hasn't changed in over 30 years. Legend has it that he makes up a giant batch about every 6 months. The sub itself isn't really special-basic cold meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and fresh green peppers- but once the sauce is applied, the hoagie is elevated to the heights of oral exctasy!
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/06/09 08:28:08 (permalink)
    My favorite cold sub is : roast beef, turkey, swiss cheese on a sub roll with mayo and mustard, lettuce, onion, peppers, oil , vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano.

My favorite hot sub is steamed corned beef and pastrami with provolone melted on a baked sub roll with onions, mustard and mayo and italian dressing.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/06/09 09:26:57 (permalink)
    My favorite sub is an eggplant parmigiana. I think of it as the black sheep of the family becasue to do it right is a bit harder. Frozen eggplant cutlets are an abomination. fresh sliced, properly fried eggplant with excellent sauce and cheese is a true delight.

Places that spend the time to do this right usually prepare all their subs with care.
    archinIL
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/06/09 10:10:23 (permalink)
    Here (Rockford, IL), it is getting harder and harder to find a good italian style sub. Ever since Subway exploded onto the scene around 1988, all the smaller (and better) places closed down and moved out. While Quizno's and Blimpie's are better alternatives than Subway, neither is all that good.

My favorite place was a deli, in all places, in Ramona, CA. Sub Marina. They are now a small time chain with locations throughout SoCal, but I don't know if they are as good as they once were.
    BostonChowHound
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/07/06 17:42:43 (permalink)
    As a Bostonian, I too call them "subs", not "grinders". But you will see "Grinders" on menu boards all over the Greater Boston area, so both terms are correct.

In my hometown (Watertown, MA), we had "Joe's Variety" on Orchard Street, who had the most perfect roast beef "Sub". Freshly sliced & juicy. Not the "hot" roast beef as discussed in another thread, just pure & simple deli roast beef. On a perfect bulkie roll (or soft sub roll) w/ some good mustard.

But an Italian sub w/ the cold cuts, lettuce/tomato/pickle/hots, and a little oil & vinegar cannot be beat. We just picked one up at the "Italian Food Center" in Little Italy yesterday for our ride home to Boston after spending the holiday weekend in NYC.

John
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/07/06 19:23:38 (permalink)
    Although I much rather have a cheesesteak than a hoagie/sub, I do have some favorite places for hoagies/subs. In Philly, I like Chick's on Federal St.. I also like Sarcone's, who make one of the best rolls in the world. They're on 9th Street in South Philly. For "subs", I love The White House in Atlantic City and their Special Sub with all Italian meats and cheeses.
    angel92
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/07/08 21:31:08 (permalink)
    I'm partial to a french dip sandwich myself, but I also don't consider that a hoagie.

There's a local place here that makes a slammin' fried chicken hoagie. Deep fried chicken strips, lettuce, tomato, mayo, & red onion. I like a bit of Tobasco on mine. If I'm getting an Italian hoagie, I like the genoa salami, capicolla, provolone, tomato & onion, some banana peppers, no lettuce, heavy on the red vinegar & oil.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/07/09 01:57:24 (permalink)
    Deep dark secret:

I like Subway's tuna (nothin' but mayo and canned tuna) with pickles and tomatoes on unborn white bread.

Oh, the humidity.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/07/09 02:39:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BostonChowHound
    In my hometown (Watertown, MA), we had "Joe's Variety" on Orchard Street, who had the most perfect roast beef "Sub". Freshly sliced & juicy. Not the "hot" roast beef as discussed in another thread, just pure & simple deli roast beef. On a perfect bulkie roll (or soft sub roll) w/ some good mustard.

I'm disturbed by the past tense. Is Joe's gone? I haven't been there for a while, but that's a fine sandwich. It's just that when I'm in Watertown (I'm one town over, in Allston), the car automatically makes its way over to Demos.
    BostonChowHound
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/07/09 12:30:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
    Originally posted by BostonChowHound

I'm disturbed by the past tense. Is Joe's gone? I haven't been there for a while, but that's a fine sandwich. It's just that when I'm in Watertown (I'm one town over, in Allston), the car automatically makes its way over to Demos.

No, sorry 'bout that. I guess I was reminiscing about my childhood when I wrote "had". Joe's is still there. Haven't had a RB sandwich from there in quite some time, but it is still there.

Demo's is outstanding!

John in Norwood
    (needs to get to the Sunset Grill in Allston for some atomic wings)
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/13 04:51:47 (permalink)
    Tait's Bakery in Brockville, Ontario has one of the best 'assorted' style subs I've ever eaten. The buns are fresh and moist, the sandwiches are loaded with seven kinds of meat...then dressed with shredded lettuce, mayo, mustard, tomatoes, onions, italian dressing...and then dusted with parmesan cheese.

As far as an authentic Italian style sub, I got a great one as a take-out item from a gourmet food market in NYC....can't recall the name, but it's right across the street from the Hilton in mid-town Manhattan...on the ground floor of a high-rise.
    anselmo1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/20 02:34:37 (permalink)
    At Wegman's sub shop, they have a new honey wheat 14 inch submarine sandwich roll. On it, I like hot ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, Nance's sharp mustard, mayo, and sweet peppers. My nephew that plays college football told me about this submarine so I tried it and really liked it. He must like them also since he is 6'5" 265 lbs.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Favorite subs? 2004/08/20 17:43:50 (permalink)
    I'm lucky enough to live 1 1/2 blocks from a very good place called D'Bronx. Good pizza, too. As far as my favorite sub, I'm one of those weirdos who likes 1/2 the amount of meat and cheese and twice the amount of lettuce, tomatoes, pickled peppers and onions and vinaigrette. That request is always met with a puzzled look. Usually I just take off all the extra protein and save it for another meal.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1