The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 14, messages 271 to 300 of 393
bbires

• Total Posts: 348
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 06/4/08 10:03 PM (permalink)
Mellow Roaster, I've never found a great hot dog in Chatt either, but what about these Chazzy Dogs I see downtown near the aquarium? Any good? And, I noticed last night that Clumpies Ice Cream is now selling hot dogs, too. Don't know anything about them.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1930
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 06/5/08 6:56 AM (permalink)
    I've seen Chazzy Dogs, but haven't tried them since I'm never on foot in that area. And you know how parking is near the aquarium. I'm a tough hot dog critic, but I probably should check them out. There are times I want a great hot dog, but I now balk at $70 fill-ups to go to The Varsity!

I didn't know about Clumpies serving dogs, but I appreciate the tip. Like the now-defunct Udder Creamery, the word "Clumpies" doesn't conjure up the most appetizing mental images. I've been there twice, but had to force myself in the door both times! Once you get past the name, it's a good product.

And I'd really love to try one of those sausages on a bun, particularly if I can find one without dealing with the strut crowd. Does any restaurant serve them?

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
      RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 06/6/08 7:23 PM (permalink)
      Uddery Creamery is now in Dalton, I just ate a waffle cone from there, and since it it now $78.00 per tank of gas for my SUV, I am glad that my family all live in Atlanta and I stop at Town Center Varsity on the way there or on the way home for my chili cheese slaw dog fix. I do have to ask for pimento cheese instead of american cheese (seems as if pimento cheese used to be standard, and say very light on the onions or they are overwhelming)

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 06/6/08 7:59 PM (permalink)
        Speechpeach, I didn't realize Udder Creamery had moved, but I knew they were flat gone from Chattanooga.

You're lucky The Varsity is so close to you, because it would cost me a comparable $69 to fill up and drive there for a great hot dog. And I used to do that when I could fill up for $25-30!

You're talking to a pimento cheese-obsessed Southerner, but I've never had it on a hot dog. May have to try that.

sandyfair

• Total Posts: 5
          RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Mon, 06/9/08 2:36 PM (permalink)
          Earl of Sandwich: Tubby's had the best hamburger in town the last time I went there.

sandyfair

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Mon, 06/9/08 2:47 PM (permalink)
            MellowRoast - I'm always looking for a good dog too, and I've heard Old Plantation on Dodson Avenue might have a good one. I plan on trying there soon.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Mon, 06/9/08 3:39 PM (permalink)
              Hi, Sandyfair!

Yes, I've had the Old Plantation hot dog, and it's one of those bright red wieners that cause me great worry and despair! I can't eat anything that I suspect glows in the dark!

ULVER

• Total Posts: 226
                RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Mon, 06/9/08 9:27 PM (permalink)
                Ah, my Chattanooga thread continues!
                My latest fond memory involves a place my dear friend and I, used to enjoy breakfast at. It sat on the side of town, closer to Lookout Mountain. For many years we both concluded it had started life as something else, but we just couldn't put our finger on it.

I came across a photo while researching "HoJo's", that I think solves the puzzle. I believe the building below was torn down, but the restaurant became the breakfast place we ate at in the mid-90's.

I can not recall the name of the place, and I think it may well be gone now too. But I am sure, it morphed from a "HoJo's" into it's second life.

Does anyone recall this Howard Johnson building, and where it was located> Thanks as always!

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 06/10/08 12:56 AM (permalink)
                  Yes, I do, Ulver, and the it's right off I-24, just a couple of blocks from Broad Street. I'll get the address for you. It may take a trip downtown, but I'll have it in short order.

Actually, I don't know if the building was torn down or burned, but there's a motel at the same location today.

I was a huge fan of Howard Johnson's and miss their restaurants to this day. That was indeed a classic location.

ULVER

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 06/10/08 4:37 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by MellowRoast

Yes, I do, Ulver, and the it's right off I-24, just a couple of blocks from Broad Street. I'll get the address for you. It may take a trip downtown, but I'll have it in short order.

Actually, I don't know if the building was torn down or burned, but there's a motel at the same location today.

I was a huge fan of Howard Johnson's and miss their restaurants to this day. That was indeed a classic location.

Thanks as always! If you come up with the address, that would be cool. I am just curious if the HoJo restaurant that survived under a different name, is still there. The main hotel was gone by the mid-90's I know, but it may have been around in the 80's. I was thinking the postcard picture is maybe 70's.

Curious why you think it may have burned

One other thing... Do you recall "Red Foods"? I believe they were a local chain, that took over some VERY old Kroger stores, once that chain pulled out of Chattanooga in the mid-80's (IIRC). They were dumps, but I know I bought picnic fare at one at the base of Lookout Mountain in a strip shopping center that is still there.

Thanks again!

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 06/10/08 6:34 PM (permalink)
                      Indeed I remember and miss Red Food Stores, the dominant supermarket in the area for several decades. For some reason, Kroger couldn't compete with them and left town. But we miss Kroger and wish they hadn't exited! Kroger is an excellent supermarket.

I never considered Red Food a dump, but it's possible the store you visited wasn't one of the more modern locations. They were, however, were an excellent hometown choice, and great on customer service. As a kid, I used to ride my bike to the neighborhood Red Food.

RF was eventually purchased by Ahold/Bi-Lo, but I don't want to give you my opinion of Bi-lo. Fortunately, Publix has entered the market, and we have a great place to shop again. We'd love to see Kroger purchase Bi-Lo and come back, too.

I don't think there's a restaurant at the old HoJo location. I believe its just a generic motel with no brand affiliation. I pass them often and always think of the great Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge. I'll drive by this week and check out the place. Not sure why I thought it may have burned. From '77 to '98 I was out of the market, so my knowledge of that period is fuzzy.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 06/17/08 8:01 PM (permalink)
                        Ulver: Stopped by the ol' Howard Johnson tonight and was given the official tour by a very cordial and accomodating G.M.

It's indeed the actual HJ structure, beautifully remodeled this year inside and out. The original pool has been fully restored, and finishing touches are being applied to the hotel exterior right now. The rooms look great.

They have a pool, fitness center, and conference hall, but I'm not sure if they'll feature a restaurant.

The old HJ restaurant building has been remodeled, distintive orange roof intact, and it houses offices of the Associated General Contractors of East Tennessee.

However, the hotel is officially open for business as:

La Quinta Inn Downtown Chattanooga
                        100 West 21st Street
                        Chattanooga, TN 37408
                        423-265-3151

ULVER

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 06/18/08 2:07 AM (permalink)
                          MellowRoast:

A job above the call of duty! Thanks!

It's nice to know, the old HoJo still haunts the halls!

I will never know how my bud and I, could have sat there eating breakfast thinking we were in an old HoJo restaurant, and could have missed the original hotel next to it!

Anyway, it sounds like La Quinta has done it right. As much as I love watching the next COPS episode at the King's Lodge, I might have to bunk here.

Thanks!

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 06/18/08 4:08 PM (permalink)
                            I'll have to agree with Hamburger America that Zarzour's gets the best burger nod for the area. I've watched Shannon at the grill many times, and I don't know what her secret is, but it's one of the best burgers I've had anywhere. It also fits my basic ground rule for a good hamburger: hand-formed patty cooked to order.

Bud's is quite good, however. No complaints there. George's burgers and fries were legendary, but I never visited Leonard's or Bill's.

I used to enjoy Tubby's until they moved to new digs and started cooking their patties in advance. Haven't had a good, juicy burger there since they started the practice of cooking ahead and keepin' them warm.

The Armando's burgers I've had were frozen patties cooked ahead, but were OK. As for Magoo's, it was so similar to the Armando burger (appearance and flavor), that I just didn't return for a second try.

But that's the thing about hamburgers. Like barbecue, politics, and religion, everyone has their own take.

ULVER

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 06/18/08 6:45 PM (permalink)
                              I guess it's pretty-much agreed, that Zarzour's makes the meanest burger in the Choo-Choo. Sadly, in all my visits, I have never made it there for one. I need to work on that.

Just what part of town is Zarzour's in> Obviously from this thread, I know the East Ridge area/King's Lodge, and also the Aquarium/downtown.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 06/18/08 7:47 PM (permalink)
                                Ulver, believe it or not, it's in the same general area as La Quinta Downtown (a.k.a. HOJO!), which is the southside. I'd say it's within a 3 to 4 minute drive of the hotel.

If you can get to No. 1 Fire Hall on E. Main St., you're there!

ULVER

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 06/19/08 7:03 PM (permalink)

Ulver, believe it or not, it's in the same general area as La Quinta Downtown (a.k.a. HOJO!), which is the southside. I'd say it's within a 3 to 4 minute drive of the hotel.

Thanks again... Perfect "check-out" timing. Leave hotel/have lunch!

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
                                    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 06/20/08 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by ULVER

Thanks again... Perfect "check-out" timing. Leave hotel/have lunch!

Just a reminder, Zarzour's open from 11a.m. to 2 p.m. M-F

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 06/20/08 3:20 PM (permalink)
                                      Not only that, they're closed on most federal holidays, plus whenever Mary the cook is sick!

ULVER

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 06/22/08 12:49 AM (permalink)
                                        Zarzour's hours duly noted "Earl"---and thanks!

MellowRoast: I received an e-mail, asking me if I was aware there was another Howard Johnson's that was in the East Ridge at about the same time as the downtown location.

Any idea if it remains in any form> Ring any bell>

Thanks...

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 06/22/08 5:32 AM (permalink)
                                          Ulver: I’m not specifically aware of a Howard Johnson in East Ridge back in the day, but I’m sure it existed. There’s one now at what I’m told is a former Holiday Inn property at 6700 Ringgold Road at I-75 Exit #1. That may or may not be the location referred to in your email. These days, hotel brands seem to rotate like musical chairs.

I sure miss HJ restaurants, ice cream, clams, and hot dogs. Without the restaurants, HJ doesn’t have the same image or feel.

Bbires: Whatever the secret (Shirley seems to think it’s the old gas grill), they have a simple, but succulent burger. I think it could be a combination of top quality beef, technique, and the well-seasoned grill. I certainly can't duplicate it at home.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 06/22/08 9:04 AM (permalink)
                                            If Shirley or Mary says it, I'll believe it. It Shannon says it...I'll believe it when I see the invoice!

sandyfair

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Mon, 06/23/08 2:47 PM (permalink)
                                              bbires: Oh do I ever remember Lenonard's on Brainerd Road. To this day I can still recall that taste that set their hamburgers apart from all others I had had save Mom's.

I think I even asked the grill person once where they got their hamburger meat but I can't remember what they said exactly - think they got it from some guy up towards Sweetwater but not sure.

Has anyone had a burger from Mayo's? That's where Lenonard's moved to but I never went there - protested it you might say.

Didn't know Tubby's cooked their burgers in advance. That won't work for me in the future.

My favorite BBQ joint is Bailey's, on 41 Highway south right before you get to Ringgold. Believe it or not, they also have a great breakfast, and I always get the sausage (locally made) smashed flat. I've even driven down to Mitchell's in Lafayette, Georgia, to buy that sausage to keep in my freezer for camping trips, sausage balls, etc. The BBQ is chopped, and the helpings are plentiful. They've got a decent hamburger too - it definitly has a hand-formed appearance when it comes out, but I don't know if they do it Zarzour's way or not.

Anybody know of any good seafood restaurants in Mobile, Ala or surrounding area?

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 06/25/08 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by ULVER

Zarzour's hours duly noted "Earl"---and thanks!

MellowRoast: I received an e-mail, asking me if I was aware there was another Howard Johnson's that was in the East Ridge at about the same time as the downtown location.

Any idea if it remains in any form> Ring any bell>

Thanks...

Ulver, if you're driving from Atlanta, the easiest route to Zarzour's is as follows:

1. From I-75 N, take I-24 W toward Nashville
                                                2. Take US-27 N toward Downtown Chattanooga
                                                3. Take exit #1 Main St.
                                                4. Turn LEFT on W. Main St.
                                                5. Proceed about 0.6 miles
                                                6. Turn RIGHT on Rossville Ave.
                                                7. Arrive at Zarzour’s on the right

It's only 0.66 miles from the old Howard Johnson, but you'll only get lost if you try that route. I live here and can't figure it out!

ULVER

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 06/25/08 9:43 PM (permalink)
                                                  Thanks for the directions to Zarzour's! I recall getting lost out that way once before. I ended up in some dark, dank neighborhood of dilapidated buildings. I had to turn around, in some kinda "adult" establishment parking lot, where this woman (I think) , was leading this guy in a rubber gimp suit, to a vehicle by a chain attached to his handcuffs.

Ah... anyway... Way back in this thread, I had a link to "The Chef" restaurant, up in Cleveland, TN. It might be the last place left, using acutal "Burger Chef" equipment, to make a burger just like the chain used to.
                                                  http://www.freewebs.com/burgerchef/18thechefclevelandtn.htm

I didn't know if you had caught it Have you ever made it up that way>? That's a taste from my childhood, I would like to experience again. The other is "Sir Pizza", which are still around, and which I will enjoy on my trip to Nashville.

It's Zarzour's, but she sure looks better than anything from Mickey D's. Burger Chef was always cooler than the rest of the chains, except White Castle of course.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 06/25/08 10:08 PM (permalink)
                                                    Yes, I recognize it. I've passed that building many times, but have never stopped. I'll make it a point to stop next time.

TCo4482

• Total Posts: 3
                                                      • Location: Chattanooga, TN
                                                      RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 06/27/08 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                                      Best BBQ & Ribs in the area has to be at the Southern Smokehouse in Cleveland. Relatively new place (20 months old), but the most tender ribs/pork I have ever had. Everything is dry rubbed but sauce is available (and really good). They are located at the corner of 17th & Keith Street. Tues-Saturday.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 06/27/08 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                                        TCo4482: Thank you for the BBQ recommendation! I'll try it soon!

TCo4482

• Total Posts: 3
                                                          • Location: Chattanooga, TN
                                                          RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 06/27/08 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                                          I work for WGOW-Talk Radio and had to go up to the Southern Smokehouse in Cleveland on Wednesday. The owner gave me a tour of the kitchen, and also the smoking "porch". Everything in the kitchen was spotless, he smokes with 5 different kinds of woods, and the food is great. Be sure to try the hot slaw (if you like a vinegar base). He has brisket and smoked chicken also, but I didn't try these. Let me know what you think Mellow.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 06/27/08 6:01 PM (permalink)
                                                            Thanks, I plan to go next week. I'll try to get a faxed menu in advance.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 14, messages 271 to 300 of 393

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com