Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Page: << < ..11121314 > Showing page 11 of 14
Author
BarenakedChef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/07/05 03:03:11 (permalink)
We used to go to Chattanooga once a year, and my hostess always took me to the Boathouse Rotisserie and Raw Bar. We sit outside on the deck overlooking the river and the view alone is worth the trip. I've had the chicken salad (great, but with fruit/nuts), shrimp po'boys (crispy,delicious with awesome fries) and the Chimichanga(good and spicy). They have a website, too: http://www.boathousechattanooga.com/
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/07/05 18:30:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BarenakedChef

We used to go to Chattanooga once a year, and my hostess always took me to the Boathouse Rotisserie and Raw Bar. We sit outside on the deck overlooking the river and the view alone is worth the trip. I've had the chicken salad (great, but with fruit/nuts), shrimp po'boys (crispy,delicious with awesome fries) and the Chimichanga(good and spicy). They have a website, too: http://www.boathousechattanooga.com/

BareNaked, welcome to Roadfood ! Hope you'll continue to contribute your comments.
I was at the Boathouse recently for the first time even though I'd driven by it many times and I really enjoyed it. Ate on the deck. They had the best okra (grilled whole) that I have ever tasted. I really enjoyed the whole experience a lot.
bmrisko
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/07/11 21:04:18 (permalink)
bbires, now you have me craving the steak in a sack...
BillVol
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/07/19 02:49:33 (permalink)
Now that Publix has expanded to Chattanooga, our supermarket scene has gone from "worst to first." Greenlife is also top-notch.
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/07/19 06:36:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BillVol

Now that Publix has expanded to Chattanooga, our supermarket scene has gone from "worst to first." Greenlife is also top-notch.

You're not just whistlin' Dixie. Both Publix and Greenlife have the fastest checkout lanes I've ever seen. I enjoy shopping at both stores immensely.

And the sooner Publix opens more locations, the better. It's 16 miles round trip for me.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/07/22 11:12:53 (permalink)
I think there might be another worthy addition to the Roadfood list from Chattanooga. Hillbilly Willy's BBQ is very good. Everything is fresh and made that day. All veggies are fresh, which is rare these days. Everything we had was delicious.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/07/22 11:20:50 (permalink)
I live in Knoxville but Chattanooga seems to be a hot box of great places to dine. Knoxville has sputtered but Chattanooga keeps going and going.

I wish Knoxville was as good. We do have the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville/Gatlinburg area which is full of ordinary restaurants though.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/07/23 00:00:35 (permalink)
Ah, but you have steamed sandwiches!
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/07/23 01:49:37 (permalink)
Sundancer7: That hasn't always been the case in Chattanooga, but we're coming along. Imagine this, however: we don't have even one German restaurant! To my knowlege, the nearest is about 75 miles away in Huntsville.

BillVol: Knoxville is the world capital for steamed sandwiches, and I love them! Just a few places in Chattanooga that serve them, and I particularly like the first 3:

Flatiron Deli
706 Walnut St
Chattanooga, TN 37402
423-266-2620

The Yellow Deli
737 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37403
423-468-1777

Glen-Gene Deli
7025 Shallowford Rd.
Chattanooga, TN 37421
423-899-7733
Also:
5748 Highway 153
Hixson, TN 37343
423-877-9997

Shapiro’s Gift Baskets & Deli
3914 Saint Elmo Ave
Chattanooga, TN 37409
423-821-0101

Pickle Barrel
1012 Market St
Chattanooga, TN 37402
423-266-1103
johnreed
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/07/24 16:45:07 (permalink)
I agree The Yellow Deli is super; best sandwiches in the region, and a fabulous place to relax and dine. The reference to cult problems is, to put it politely, B-U-N-K. You won't get better food or service, and there's no better deli atmosphere in that city. Period.
Nightshift
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 224
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/08/05 21:58:32 (permalink)
Since I lived in Chattanooga for 12 years I would have to say Provinos is my favorite Italian. Other then that everything else is just alright.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/08/06 22:23:41 (permalink)
I'm hoping to try the Yellow Deli in a couple weeks. My daughter lives pretty close and I've been wanting to check it out. I didn't get a chance to read the web article but I knew they had a "shady" history.
I've been to the BBQ joint in Columbia SC that is still fighting the Civil war, I hate staying at a Hilton related hotels or a Marriott for that matter. Wal-Mart is anti union. Geez, I wouldn't shop or buy anywhere if I knew everyone's politics I suppose.

I don't generally like supporting places whose politics I disagree with but I do enough of it anyway I don't think it will hurt to buy a few sandwiches from one more.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/08/17 19:50:56 (permalink)
Couple of neat places to report on.
1) Yellow Deli was really fun and really good. Interesting decor and food was outstanding. We had a fruit plate, a reuben, and I had a chili & cornbread with jalapeno. All three were outstanding.
2) Sushi Nabe in Coolidge Park (Frazier) was also a lot of fun and really good. Atmosphere was creative and unusual. May not appeal to everyone but I really liked it. Good selection of sushi made fresh, I also had fruit & veggie tempura which was outstanding, as well as the sashimi tuna. Highly recommend for a fun meal.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/08/17 19:54:52 (permalink)
Forgot to mention breakfast at Aretha Frankenstein's. Things are the same at this place. Same menu, same excellent food. Fun place to go for breakfast or anytime.
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/08/26 18:03:53 (permalink)
Hey folks! The thread lives on... Gonna be visiting my favorite day-trip again soon.

I found a place I have never experienced before. IIRC, it hasn't been mentioned on this thread. Pardon me if I missed it, but can anyone tell me if you have tried:
http://www.wallysrest.com/

Is one location preferable to the other It seems Wally's has a rich history in Chattanooga. Quite curious...

Thanks!
gbacounselor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/09/06 15:52:17 (permalink)
Ulver, I have lived in Chattanooga for a long time and had often heard of Wally's. I had actually been once to the East Ridge location (I-75N, Exit 1B) for a meeting. The all-you-can-eat buffet was good, but not outstanding.

However, in the last few months, we have become fans of a Chattanooga tradition...breakfast at Wally's on McCallie Avenue. They have all the Southern breakfast delights at a very reasonable price, and the food is very good. One thing that is always interesting is the clientele. Depending on the day and time, you can see anyone from the mayor and other city officials to UTC students to Chattanooga's finest and folks from the neighborhood. The service is fast and the people are friendly. Sometimes we have been there when they post the lunch menu for the day. We haven't tried lunch yet, but it always sounds good!
bbires
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/09/07 09:16:11 (permalink)
Hello,gang! I have been much maligned on these pages for daring to point out the dangerous, cultish nature of the Yellow Deli, but now it seems that that very topic is on the FRONT PAGE OF TODAY'S CHATTANOOGA TIMES FREE PRESS in a huge story. The University of Chattanooga is very concerned. Hmmmm............Anyway, just wanted to let you know. Happy eating!
ULVER
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/10/09 19:24:36 (permalink)
[:o)CONGRATS TO BIG RIVER GRILLE~!!!

15 years old today!

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/oct/09/chattanooga-big-river-hits-15-early-arrival-riverf/

It truly was one of the first places, that marked the rebirth of downtown Chattanooga. I guess I have been there a dozen times, and have never had a bad experience. I usually get the beer sampler, and the meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes. The service has always been good, even when packed, which seems to be most all the time.

The downtown area of Chattanooga, is one of the nicest in Dixie, and the entire city has much to offer. Anyone who hasn't spent a weekend at the aquariums and Lookout Mountain, has missed a really great time.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/10/09 19:54:49 (permalink)
Ulver...Chattanooga is a very nice town...If you get a chance, try Greenville, SC Truly amazing...
ULVER
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/10/09 20:20:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Ulver...Chattanooga is a very nice town...If you get a chance, try Greenville, SC Truly amazing...

Ya know, it has been on my "to do" list. Haven't been in many a moon. I hear the downtown area is nice stroll these days. True>? I have seen the Reedy River bridge. It looks very pretty. Is it far from the downtown area?

Can you make any suggestions, as to roadfood in the city, and what to be sure to see>

Thanks...
bbires
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/10/10 10:42:30 (permalink)
You know, Ulver, if possible, I think the Big River out at Hamilton Place is even better. The old, rehabbed Grady's has a beautiful open setting, and I think the food is better. Tried their Oktoberfest offerings a week or so ago and they were outstanding--chicken schnitzel, sauerkraut mashed potatoes, and sweet/sour red cabbage.
Rockbeast
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/10/10 13:41:16 (permalink)
OK, so I found a really good mexican restaurant or Taqueria in Chattanooga. I think it's been mentioned a couple times on this board, it's called Taco Roc. Here's some info from their website:

We use fresh, natural ingredients in each of our authentic dishes and salsas to offer Chattanooga exceptionally delicious mexican cuisine:

* Carne Asada
* Carnitas
* Barbacoa
* Pollo Tinga
* Chorizo
* Fish
* Vegetarian and more!

Taco Roc also offers signature fresh fruit drinks.

I'm always looking for fish tacos, which are hard to come by in Knoxville TN, so on a anniversary trip my wife and I (it's a good idea to take an anniversary trip with one's spouse, don't you think?) were heading through Chattanooga and I suggested this place. I had found it while searching for fish taco restaurants. She said 'OK' so by some chance I had the address already entered into my GPS (which we call 'Lola'...but that's another story) and we found our way there. It's located at 6960 Lee Hwy, about .2 mile west of I-75 at the Hamilton Place Mall exit.

They let us sample several of their fruit drinks. The strawberry was quite good, as was the tamarind. However, I wanted Horchata and that's what I got! We shared fish tacos and a chicken tortas. All was very good, although the tortas was a little oilier than I wanted (is 'oilier' a word?). It still tasted great! The fish was grilled with some tasty spices that gave it a little heat and kick. They were my favorite! The folks there were very nice. Our server had a t-shirt that said "I was fed by Jesus` ...at Taco Roc!" I think the owner's name is Jesus` Muro! I thought that was cute. here is a little info 'about the family' from the website:

Taco Roc is a family business. The Muro family moved to Chattanooga from southern California to pursue the dream of opening up their own restaurant. They opened their first location in February, 2007 and business boomed from the beginning. They were soon able to move into their current location on 6960 Lee Highway, intersection with Shallowford Rd.

Jesus Muro and his two sons, Salvador and Andres, will be happy to serve you!

So I definitely recommend this place, and I'm looking for my next opportunity to head south and give it another go!

Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/10/10 23:39:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Ben,

I think you nailed it. Both cities are tops in the South and both underrated and you don't hear much about either one.
BTW, my daughter was a waitress @ Big River for 3 years and it is a really good restaurant. The one downtown is the flagship location but they own numerous places under various names, most common being Gordon Biersch.
MiD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/10/30 13:21:09 (permalink)
HI all, is there GOOD PIZZA in Chatanooga? We'll be visiting this weekend. My family LOVES Pepe's in New Haven, CT, in case anyone's familiar with Wooster St. Pizza (we also liked Sally's, Modern, and Dayton St. Apizza (( was pleased to see a review on Roadfood for Dayton St. )), but Pepe's we LOVED). Is there a pizza joint doing thin (not too thin) crust, brick oven pizza in town? We'd go for NY style pizza also.
Thanks for any info. Looking forward to Chattanooga, it sounds like a neat place.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/10/31 11:03:44 (permalink)
Two of my favorite pizza joints in Chattanooga are : Lupi's which is downtown. Excellent pizza there.
The other is Vinny & Joe's which claim,s to offer both NY style( Vinny's) and Chicago (Joe's) style.
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/10/31 20:11:13 (permalink)
I also love Lupi's Pizza, Taco Roc and usually go to Big River Grille near Hamilton Place, since that is closer to me than driving downtown.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/11/02 07:45:16 (permalink)
I'd forgotten that Big River Grille also has excellent pizza.
MiD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/11/03 12:35:52 (permalink)
Thanks for the responses. We did get to Lupi's and it was EXCELLENT - and a cool atmosphere, good music playing. Some of the best pizza I've ever had, I believe. Great thin crust, some chewiness yet crisp - & the sauce was very tasty - I could taste the fresh garlic, basil, and a little red pepper. We were very happy with Lupi's. & Chattanooga seems like a very interesting town. Loved the riverside, the sculpture park, etc. A great but very short trip. We'll be back. Thanks again.
ULVER
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/11/03 15:50:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MiD

Thanks for the responses. We did get to Lupi's and it was EXCELLENT - and a cool atmosphere, good music playing. Some of the best pizza I've ever had, I believe. Great thin crust, some chewiness yet crisp - & the sauce was very tasty - I could taste the fresh garlic, basil, and a little red pepper. We were very happy with Lupi's. & Chattanooga seems like a very interesting town. Loved the riverside, the sculpture park, etc. A great but very short trip. We'll be back. Thanks again.

IIRC, Lupi's was opened by a individual, who used to work for Felini's Pizza here in Atlanta. When I ate at Lupi's, it was almost exactly alike, except maybe a bit better. Felini's here are right next to LaFonda Cuban Cantinas, as they are owned by the same person. They both seem to employ all hispanics, and as excellent as LaFonda is (and it IS!), Felini's pizza just basically sucks. They have not a c-l-u-e how to prepare a proper pie. Virtually sauceless. It was much better, when tattoo & piercing crowd made them.

As for visiting again, if you didn't spend a day exploring Lookout Mountain, you really need to. Sooooooooooo much to see and do. Chattanooga is indeed, a great southern experience.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/11/27 12:44:04 (permalink)
Somebody here may have more and better info on this... My daughter tells me there's a parade next month (December) on Main St., celebrating Main St. Couple of new restaurants opening.
Anyone able to elaborate on this?
Page: << < ..11121314 > Showing page 11 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1