The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Change Page: << < ..11121314 > | Showing page 12 of 14, messages 331 to 360 of 393
Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 12/4/08 9:02 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Earl of Sandwich

Somebody here may have more and better info on this... My daughter tells me there's a parade next month (December) on Main St., celebrating Main St. Couple of new restaurants opening.
Anyone able to elaborate on this?

The Main Street parade is this Saturday, and the celebration lasts for 24 hours.

jayme2276

• Total Posts: 3
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 01/24/09 12:33 PM (permalink)
    Hi everyone. I found this thread researching for an anniversary trip to the Chattanooga area in March. We are actually staying closer towards Cleveland, and I was wondering if there were any more reviews on the Bald Headed Bistro? It looks interesting, and seems to be well reviewed overall.

Any lunch recommendations near the aquarium would be welcomed, as well.

I am glad to hear Chattanooga seems to have some excellent restaurants. Having moved to Nashville from South Florida 2 years ago, I have been disappointed by the restaurants in this area. This is chain restaurant heaven.

Thanks for all the tips already in this thread, and any added help.

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
      RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Mon, 01/26/09 5:46 AM (permalink)
      Would like to recommend an outstanding Indian restaurant, the Curry Pot, at 6940 Lee Hwy, near I-75 & Hamilton Place area.
      I was there this past Friday night.  Some of the best naans ever.  We had lamb tikka masala and roghan josh and both were outstanding.  Family owned place, people are very friendly.  Food outstanding.  Try the Lhassis, the juice drinks, and the iced coffees.  Excellent.

mjsneddon

• Total Posts: 230
        RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 01/28/09 8:17 PM (permalink)
        My wife and I have stayed in Chattanooga a number of times.  Here are my suggestions:  Lupi's Pizza is very good - fun atmosphere (but can be very noisy).  Last November we had a very nice dinner at a Thai place called Sweet Basil.  And stop at Klumpies for ice cream!

Have a good day,

Mike Sneddon

jayme2276

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 02/18/09 5:54 PM (permalink)
          Thanks for the input. We will be doing Lupi's. It comes up too often not to try.

ULVER

• Total Posts: 226
            RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 02/18/09 7:46 PM (permalink)
            jayme2276

Hi everyone. I found this thread researching for an anniversary trip to the Chattanooga area in March. We are actually staying closer towards Cleveland, and I was wondering if there were any more reviews on the Bald Headed Bistro? It looks interesting, and seems to be well reviewed overall.

Any lunch recommendations near the aquarium would be welcomed, as well.

I am glad to hear Chattanooga seems to have some excellent restaurants. Having moved to Nashville from South Florida 2 years ago, I have been disappointed by the restaurants in this area. This is chain restaurant heaven.

Thanks for all the tips already in this thread, and any added help.

Have you checked threads concerning Nashville here? TONS of non-chain, Roadfood type places to eat in Music City.

I can't say enough good things about "Arnold's!" It's reviewed on this site.

jayme2276

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 02/19/09 4:47 PM (permalink)
              ULVER

Have you checked threads concerning Nashville here? TONS of non-chain, Roadfood type places to eat in Music City.

I can't say enough good things about "Arnold's!" It's reviewed on this site.

I have not yet, but I will. I am actually about 20 miles north of Nashville, though I work in the city. I have been let down by most of the places I have tried on family advice. I will browse the forum a little more.

Thanks.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 03/13/09 7:43 AM (permalink)
                BillVol

I think there might be another worthy addition to the Roadfood list from Chattanooga. Hillbilly Willy's BBQ is very good. Everything is fresh and made that day. All veggies are fresh, which is rare these days. Everything we had was delicious.

After reading a favorable newspaper review, I had lunch at Hillbilly Willy's yesterday and was terribly disappointed.

I ordered a rib-beef combo: half-rack of baby backs, beef brisket, and two sides (baked beans, potato salad). 

The ribs were not freshly prepared, apparently reheated from an earlier smoking, quite possibly from the day before, and then refrigerated or frozen overnight.  They seriously lacked moisture, texture, flavor, and were overcooked. When rib meat falls from the bone before reaching my teeth, it’s been in the pit too long.  

The brisket was shredded, not sliced (heresy in itself), and inexplicably chewy.  I would have rather had jerky.  (Heck, maybe they read the order wrong and gave me jerky.)

The baked beans were cloyingly sweet, overly smoky, and floating in an inordinate amount of liquid.  The potato salad, clinically and perfectly ice cream-scooped into a plastic dish, resembled the texture of cold mashed potatoes with an occasional tater chunk. It was exceedingly dry, though I’m certain there must have been a smidgen of mayo in there somewhere.

The cornbread muffin was excellent, however, as was the bottled water.  Total damage to my wallet was $21.45. 

If you go to Hillbilly Willy’s, you may or may not have a great experience, so it’s best to enter the establishment with an open mind.  And wallet.

monktrout

• Total Posts: 21
                  RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 03/13/09 10:59 PM (permalink)

MellowRoast, Sorry about your meal at Hiibilly Willy's. Does not sound good. I have always had the pulled pork sandwich and it is always good to excellent. Their pinto beans and ice tea were very good. I tried dessert and was pleased.  Pulled pork may be their deal. I have yet to find decent brisket in Chattanooga and what you do find is chopped and sauced. I'm like you about BBQ ribs that fall off the bone. They need some chew. Who has the great ribs in the Chattanooga area?

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 03/14/09 5:43 AM (permalink)
                    I went there yesterday and recommend it! 

People can argue all day long about barbecue (and they do), but these were the meatiest pork ribs I’ve ever eaten.  I can’t imagine where they get them.  For a minute, I suspected water buffalo!  They’re served dry with plenty of mild and hot sauces on the table.  I enjoyed them dry with just a little mild sauce for dipping.   

This barbecue clearly has a Texas influence, as the owner is from Houston.  Which is fine with me.  It was
                    reminiscent of my days in the Hill Country around Austin.
                    They also do custom smoking for the public, so bring your venison, turkey, etc.  

I intentionally ordered three side dishes – mayo slaw, hot mustard slaw, potato and salad.  The were positively homemade, and I give all three my enthusiastic approval.

http://www.integritywebdevelopment.com/clients/ssbbq/

(Even Jeff Styles will find the meat well-peppered.)

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 03/14/09 5:49 AM (permalink)
                      D'OHHH!!  The ABOVE post was a repsonse to TCo4482 about SOUTHERN SMOKEHOUSE in Cleveland, Tennessee!  Apparently, his quote/post didn't show up.  I sure wish one could delete a post and start over. 

Anyway, check 'em out when you're in Cleveland, Tennessee.

http://www.integritywebdevelopment.com/clients/ssbbq/

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 03/14/09 6:05 AM (permalink)
                        monktrout

MellowRoast, Sorry about your meal at Hiibilly Willy's. Does not sound good. I have always had the pulled pork sandwich and it is always good to excellent. Their pinto beans and ice tea were very good. I tried dessert and was pleased.  Pulled pork may be their deal. I have yet to find decent brisket in Chattanooga and what you do find is chopped and sauced. I'm like you about BBQ ribs that fall off the bone. They need some chew. Who has the great ribs in the Chattanooga area?

The #1 key to finding good ribs is locating a restaurant that doesn't cook them a day ahead.  Key #2 is not ordering during an "off" period.  For example, I prefer ordering at 11:30 a.m. when everything is fresh, as opposed to 3:00 p.m.  You never know what you're gonna be served after the rush period.

With respect to ribs, I've had excellent luck with Sugar's Ribs and Sticky Fingers.  And both establishments are cheerful and gracious about replacing, on-the spot, any ribs that aren't just right.  If anything's wrong, they want to know.

There are other rib joints in the city, but I generally run into product that is oversmoked, undersmoked, or not smoked at all!

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 03/14/09 7:14 AM (permalink)
                          bbires

Hello,gang! I have been much maligned on these pages for daring to point out the dangerous, cultish nature of the Yellow Deli, but now it seems that that very topic is on the FRONT PAGE OF TODAY'S CHATTANOOGA TIMES FREE PRESS in a huge story. The University of Chattanooga is very concerned. Hmmmm............Anyway, just wanted to let you know. Happy eating!

A newspaper story doesn't necessarily validate the timeworn allegation that the Yellow Deli is cult.  Front page or otherwise.

As a veteran of the media for over 40 years, I've done exhaustive investigative reporting on many stories, including this one.  I've been in the trenches concerning this multiple times, and no matter how strange their faith-based, communal structure may seem, they are still not a cult. 

And I still can't find better a better deli in the entire region.  I would say "Happy Witch Hunting!", but it's best just to talk about the food, the real reason we're here.

monktrout

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 03/14/09 8:52 PM (permalink)
                            MellowRoast, Thanks for the info on the Southern Smokehouse in Cleveland. I look forward to giving it a try. I've had the pork at Sugars and I will order the ribs the next time I'm there.  A little bit out of the area but, have you or anyone tried Strouds in Cookeville? I think it is very good, with nice sides. I am also partial to Bobby Q's hot pool room slaw.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 03/26/09 12:15 PM (permalink)
                              Monktrout, I'm not familiar with Stroud's, but maybe I should plan a trip.  Thank you for the tip.

By the way, congrats to Aretha Frankenstein's for making Esquire Magazine's 59 Best Breakfasts list for their Fat Stack pancakes.  Check to see if a restaurant near you made the list:  
                              http://www.esquire.com/features/food-drink/best-breakfasts-0309

monktrout

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 03/26/09 5:48 PM (permalink)
                                I had lunch at Sugar's Ribs today. The pulled pork was very good. Tried the chicken and it is very tender, more roasted than smoked. Sampled the sausage and it wasn't for me. Sides were good.  Lunch for both of us totaled $20. Had a very good pulled pork sandwich at a BBQ stand on Depot St. in Soddy Daisy. Worth the stop if you'rre up this way.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                  RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 03/28/09 5:21 AM (permalink)
                                  MellowRoast

Monktrout, I'm not familiar with Stroud's, but maybe I should plan a trip.  Thank you for the tip.

By the way, congrats to Aretha Frankenstein's for making Esquire Magazine's 59 Best Breakfasts list for their Fat Stack pancakes.  Check to see if a restaurant near you made the list:  
                                  http://www.esquire.com/features/food-drink/best-breakfasts-0309

I've had the pancakes, er, should say, I've had the pancake at Aretha F's.  One of them suckers is a meal by itself, but like everything else there, really well done.  Such a neat place.  To think it burned down just a couple years ago is amazing.
                                  Great, informative post!!

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 03/28/09 9:28 AM (permalink)
                                    monktrout

I had lunch at Sugar's Ribs today. The pulled pork was very good. Tried the chicken and it is very tender, more roasted than smoked. Sampled the sausage and it wasn't for me. Sides were good.  Lunch for both of us totaled $20. Had a very good pulled pork sandwich at a BBQ stand on Depot St. in Soddy Daisy. Worth the stop if you'rre up this way.

Monktrout, I agree on the chicken.  I've not tried the pulled pork, but plan to.  I was there on Thursday, also, so I may have been at the next table! 

I had the brisket sandwich for the first time and sampled both the white and red chilis. 

The brisket, although not Texas-style, was quite good, and succulently tender.  Like the chicken, I would describe it as more roasted than smoked.   It was pulled and chunky, rather than sliced.  But tender and tasty it was.

Both white and red chilis were homemade, fresh and flavorful, but the meat-to-bean ratio was lopsided in favor of the beans.  I'd rather do without beans in chili, but the flavor and freshness was spot-on.

Carlton Pierre, I haven't tried Aretha's pancakes yet, but plan to go back for stack.  Or even one.  I did send their pancake mix to a friend in Fresno who loved it.

kgee

• Total Posts: 14
                                      RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 04/2/09 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                      Lupi's Pizza was great and you could watch the pizza guy toss the pie in the air - kids loved it - we were happy - A++ for atmosphere and crust.   Very crowded, loud, authentic, local.   Have heard nothing but great things about Zarzours - it was the only establishment published in the Road Foods Book that I purchased.  Have not been....but folks started drooling when I mentioned it.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 04/2/09 2:55 PM (permalink)
                                        Hello to everyone in East Nashville!

kgee

• Total Posts: 14
                                          RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 04/3/09 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                          I'll tell everyone you said hi!

sandyfair

• Total Posts: 5
                                            RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Mon, 05/4/09 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                            Hello and greetings - haven't posted in over a year - I've been to Southern BBQ in Cleveland - the brisket was very good; love the Old Fort Restaurant in Cleveland (massive homemade coconut pie) - I visit there regularly now; went to Yellow Deli to see if they were still as good as I remembered and was disappointed - won't be back (cult or not, I just want excellent food, good value and service and had none); had the hamburger at Zarzours and I have to tell you foodies - PLEASE go to the lunch counter in the Doctor's Building on McCallie and have a hamburger....PLEASE!  There's just no comparison.  It made me forget all about Zarzours.

The chocolate pie must be homemade - it's the best yet.  They have an open grill when you walk in - so we were enveloped with that good old-fashinioned hamburger-heaven aroma as we searched for a rare seat in the always-crowded lunch room.  My husband and I split a massive hamburger that just barely held itself together with the freshest of tomatoes and lettuce - chips, pickel, great iced tea, and split a piece of that pie - all for less than $10.  It was more than enough and I sang it's praises all the way out the door.  It's also a meat three guys - and I'm always looking for one of those. 

Directions - from Brainerd go down McCallie towards town, and it's on the left on the first floor in the Doctor's Building (now don't laugh) across from Bryan Funeral Home, UTC, and next door to the Salvation Army.  Open until 2:30 M-F.

As always I'm on the lookout for a good meat and three non-chain - anyone run across any lately?  Old Fort Restaurant, by the way, is a great little meat and three. 

I

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 07/25/09 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                              New Find:  I highly recommend New York Diner in Chattanooga at 5665 Brainerd Road, located across from Eastgate Town Center in the former Gulas Restaurant building. 

Excellent breakfasts!  The home fries are stellar: beautiful chunks of red-skin potatoes cooked to order with olive oil and seasoned with onion and peppers.  The biscuits and gravy are the best I've had in years.  (The only biscuits and gravy I've found in 30 years as good as the now-closed Fultondale Breakfast House near Birmingham.)

My favorite daily breakfast special: 2 eggs (any style), home fries, and biscuits & gravy (2 cathead-size buttermilk biscuits smothered in sausage gravy).  Incredibly filling and almost more than I can eat, it's only $4.99.

They also serve lunch and dinner featuring American, Greek, and Mexican specialties.  Additionally, the house-made Challah bread is delightful, as is the homemade matzo ball soup. 

New York Diner 
                                              5665 Brainerd Rd
                                              Chattanooga, TN 37411-5311
                                              423-553-6611

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                                RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 07/25/09 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                                MellowRoast, many thanks for reviving this great Chattanooga thread.  In September, I'm going to be in 'Nooga for the better part of a day, and I'm really happy to learn about that diner ( I loooove sausage gravy n' biscuits. ) A burger at Zarzour's sounds like a terrific idea too. 

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 07/26/09 3:48 PM (permalink)
                                                  Nocarolina:  Hi there, and I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip!

I forgot to mention another "Must" for Roadfoodies in Chattanooga: Chef's International, a diminutive roadside take-out that virtually defies description.  Step up to the window, tell them what you want, and your food is prepared fresh to order.   Your choices are to take it home, eat in your vehicle, or dine at the only outdoor table on the lot.

The menu consists of kabobs, wraps, fajitas, tacos, salads, and internationally influenced entrees, all made from scratch.  And incredibly affordable, too.

Try the Hawaiian Teriyaki: tender grilled chicken, sauced and seasoned with fresh coconut, pineapple and mango, and then served with grilled vegetables and seasoned rice.  I sampled and was absolutely thrilled with the Indian Tikka Chicken, marinated with masala and served with rice, grilled vegetables and pita points.  (I was in heaven with a side of fresh, tender asparagus, my all-time favorite green vegetable.) 

I strongly recommend the pineapple and mango teas to ward off the effects of the humid Chattanooga summer.  Chefs Jeff and Robert said, “Tell us what you want and we’ll prepare it.”  Armed with over 50 spices and 30 sauces, they’ll custom cook to order, and quote you a market price.  

Be on the lookout for their bright yellow, wood hut.  Blink and you may miss it.  But I assure you, this place is not to be missed.

Chef’s International
                                                  7968 E Brainerd Rd
                                                  Chattanooga, TN 37421-3243
                                                  423-892-7750

monktrout

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 07/28/09 6:28 AM (permalink)
                                                    MellowRoast, Thanks for the updates on new places for roadfood. Last night a friend from Brainerd was raving about the breakfast at the New York Diner. I look forward to trying it. I'm in that area on occasion and like No GoYa, especially their noodle soup.   I was at Zaraour's two weeks ago. We had an excellent lunch and homemade peach ice cream. Nobody does ice cream from scratch anymore. I assume this was a special for the day and not a regular item.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 07/28/09 12:04 PM (permalink)
                                                      Monktrout:  I really hope you have a good experience at New York Diner.  Brainerd really needs this restaurant to succeed.  You can only eat so much fast food, and they offer such a great menu.  This guy is very talented and can make virtually anything.  

If I could figure out how to post pictures, I'd show you the biscuits & gravy, home fries, and Greek spinach pie.

You're right, Shirley's peach ice cream is a special for the day, and it's wonderful.  (Nudge her to make potato salad sometime.  I think it's the best in town, and she only makes it once in a blue moon.)

By the way, I'm a peach lover and Chick-fil-A's limited-time peach milkshake is a KILLER.

monktrout

• Location: chattanooga, TN
                                                        RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 07/28/09 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                                        MellowRoast, Thanks for your reviews. Have you tried Flavors of Italy in Soddy-Daisy. Real deal Italian cooking and the owners make you feel at home. Great bruchetta, meatballs, fish and pasta. Tuesday is two for one on several items. Can be crowded, but worth it. Owner/Chef is from Bologna Italy.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 07/29/09 5:34 AM (permalink)
                                                          No, I haven't been there, but the name sounds familiar.  Strangely, Italian food often doesn't agree with me (oregano & garlic), but if the tomato sauce isn't too heavy or acidic, I'd love some good meatballs over spaghetti noodles.  Perhaps I should give it a shot.

monktrout

• Location: chattanooga, TN
                                                            RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 07/29/09 7:24 AM (permalink)
                                                            MellowRoast, They will fix whatever you want. I have a similar problem with red sauce. I get my meatballs with no sauce. I don't feel they are heavy on garlic. It is as good as a lot of meals I had in Italy.  Monktrout

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314 > | Showing page 12 of 14, messages 331 to 360 of 393

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com