Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 14
Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/26 19:52:28 (permalink)
One of the better websites I've seen for finding a restaurant in any city is www.chattanoogadineout.com

The owners say it's going to be improved even further over the summer.
Lavanda
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/26 22:20:17 (permalink)
In July we will be going to South Pittsburg outside of Chatt. We have never been to the area before and I have been researching as much as I can, but this thread has been the most helpful.

Last night I tried going to the Chattanooga newspaper restaurant reviews and was shocked to see that to read online, you must subscribe! How do they expect to help tourism if one must pay for an online subscripton!?!?

Can ya'll suggest any good ham place or ham and biscuits? Or good pie places? And which is/are the very best Q places? And what about cafeterias? Thanks ya'll

And would anyone want to meet up for coffee or lunch?
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/27 07:32:31 (permalink)
Lavanda, maybe someone who lives in Chattanoga can answer your questions. I like a wonderful little place on Market St downtown called Porker's BBQ. Really neat and a fun little place that serves all of what you were asking and at the other end of downtown from the Aquarium.
I've been to S Pittsburg a number of times but never to eat. I know Lodge who makes the cast iron skillets is there.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/27 08:01:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Lavanda, maybe someone who lives in Chattanoga can answer your questions. I like a wonderful little place on Market St downtown called Porker's BBQ. Really neat and a fun little place that serves all of what you were asking and at the other end of downtown from the Aquarium.
I've been to S Pittsburg a number of times but never to eat. I know Lodge who makes the cast iron skillets is there.

Carlton: it is ironic that you mentioned Lodge's cast iron skillets. Lodge and Martha White sponsored a cornbread contest in South Pittsburg this past weekend. I have provided a link to some of the recipes. The recipes look really good but they have some many ingredients, it seems like they are mostly anything but cornbread. I have driven through South Pittsburg many times. Last time I drove through, they had a new by pass and I saw nothing of the town. I think they are also famous for manufacturing fireworks.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/dining/article/0,1406,KNS_309_3731339,00.html

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/28 11:06:49 (permalink)
Just got back from Chattanooga (also Nashville and Memphis)-

Can report that I went to both Big River Grille and Lupi's Pizza downtown and concur with many on here that those are two great places! Lupi's was one of the better pies I've had in a while. Was impressed with downtown Chattanooga in general - surprisingly alive on a weekday night downtown for a small city and very clean!

Found a neat roadfood place slightly outside of town - Patrick's on Hwy. 11 just west of town (Exit 173 from I-24). Good meat & 3 type place, live music evenings. Had good smoked pork and possibly the best squash casserole I've ever had, all at ridiculously low prices!
Lavanda
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/28 11:18:45 (permalink)
Has anyone eaten at Eidsons ?
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/28 11:50:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaBill

Just got back from Chattanooga (also Nashville and Memphis)-

Can report that I went to both Big River Grille and Lupi's Pizza downtown and concur with many on here that those are two great places! Lupi's was one of the better pies I've had in a while. Was impressed with downtown Chattanooga in general - surprisingly alive on a weekday night downtown for a small city and very clean!

Found a neat roadfood place slightly outside of town - Patrick's on Hwy. 11 just west of town (Exit 173 from I-24). Good meat & 3 type place, live music evenings. Had good smoked pork and possibly the best squash casserole I've ever had, all at ridiculously low prices!

Bill, you just missed the new Aquarium which opens tomorrow. Chattanooga is one of the best kept secrets around.
TVA has an incredible pumping station just outside of town (can't think of the name of it) right near Lookout Mtn that has anincredible visitor center where you over look this deep gorge and you can see Chattanooga, as well as the mansion owned by Olan Mills, his wife still lives there.
Also, just across the line in NE GA is a great state park called Cloudland Canyon which is spectacular.
wilewil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/28 16:08:20 (permalink)
TVA's Racoon Mountain Pumped Storage Plant off 11 (or I guess off 24 too) west of town beyond Lookout Mtn. They use power not needed for customers overnite (usually) to pump water up the mountain, later when extra power is needed it is released down through a generating plant.
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/28 19:32:13 (permalink)
I should be heading up this way next week. Just a little bit of time, to try a couple places. Likely will repeat myself, and do Big River Grille. Lupi's pizza sounds interesting.

Hopefully, one can still buy Double Cola in a bottle. IIRC, you might have to purchase it at the plant. Anyone know?
DAP
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/30 07:34:17 (permalink)
I just returned from Chattanooga. I had dinner at Sticky Fingers the ribs were the best I've ever had. I had lunch twice at Rembrandt's. You've got to have the Tomato-Artichoke soup. I'd love to have the recipe for this.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/04/30 15:10:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ULVER

I should be heading up this way next week. Just a little bit of time, to try a couple places. Likely will repeat myself, and do Big River Grille. Lupi's pizza sounds interesting.

Lupi's was pretty impressive. Try the bruschetta. (No matter how they spell it.)
Lavanda
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/02 12:17:33 (permalink)
Has anyone eaten at Eidson's?
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/02 15:31:04 (permalink)
Sticky Fingers may be a chain, but they have darned good ribs!
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/02 16:32:20 (permalink)
My daughter graduated from UTC over the weekend and about 12 of us had dinner yesterday @ Big River Grille. Excellent service, food was superb, and a great place to eat. Highly recommended.
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/02 16:35:21 (permalink)
I like the Big River Grille in Chattanooga. I think it is the original. The one in Nashville isn't great, though.
gbacounselor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/04 13:07:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lavanda

Has anyone eaten at Eidson's?

Lavanda,

I have lived in Chattanooga for almost thirty years and had never eaten at Eidson's until about two months ago. It was OK, but nothing outstanding in my opinion.
lknight
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/04 13:42:34 (permalink)
I live in downtown Chattanooga - don't need to cook anymore-

BBQ & ribs - Sticky Fingers
Italian - Tony's in the Art District - sit upstairs on the patio for a beautiful view of the river and sunset
Japanese - Hiroshi's Southside - tell him what you like or dislike and let him be creative - small, relaxed, local atmosphere
Nice - 212 Market good food, nice wine
Different - Terra Nostra on Frazier Ave. a Tapas and Wine bar great Tapas (appetizer portions) that allow you to try more than one thing - try the blue puffs
Mexican - Amigo's - several in town, looks like a dive, but good Mexican food
lknight
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/04 13:53:18 (permalink)
Rembrant's in the Art district - neat area - coffee ok, the desserts look great, but 9 times out of 10 they are freezer burned.
Walk the new bridge from downtown by the aquarium, up 1ST Street, to the Art District - just opened this weekend -

The Local Bad Ass Coffee makes good speciality coffees 4th & Market
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/04 13:58:17 (permalink)
Last time I visited "Chu Chu" I was amazed at the number of catfish houses. Try one of those. The one I went to (don't remember the name) was a all you could eat, both whole fish and fillets.
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/04 21:45:28 (permalink)
lknight, I like Porker's for BBQ downtown. Have you tried it?
I hope you'll post some more favorites.
ULVER
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/05 00:39:09 (permalink)
Just got back from Chattanooga and an over-nighter! First off, my near 20 year run, of staying at "The King's Lodge" must end. It began as a pretty decent motel, that wasn't exactly cheap ($75 a night in the late 80's), and sported a pretty good restaurant, and a great view of the city below at night. It has been sold a time or two, and as the area has gotten worse, so has it. The restaurant is gone. The place is falling apart. You don't even have working ice machines! You do have "working" GIRLS out front, and we even watched a drug deal from the balcony. As I was attempting to call the police, there was a knock at the door. The dealer had noticed me on the balcony. He came to see if I "needed anything!!!" This why my Glock 9mm is like an American Express card: I never leave home without it!

Now...food: We ate at the Big River Grille as usual. The place was quite busy for a Tuesday night. Our server was excellent. On top of everything, and very nice. I ordered my usual there...grilled meat loaf, with garlic smashed potatoes, and snow peas. Three BIG slabs of meatloaf, big mound of 'tators, though not as "garlically" as I would have wanted. Still all-around, this place is a winner. Note: We visited Ruby Falls for about the 10th time. It would still be a great time with no changes, but...they have recently given the place a HUGE facelift, and it rocks! Very nice job! And...on the back of my ticket stub, was a coupon for the Big River Grille. It was for a free appetizer from Big River Grille! A $7.50 value! That was put to use as well.

Next day, I had lunch at Lupi's Pizza. My first time, I had to order my "standard." A couple slices of peppperoni, mushrooms & onions. Pretty good! The slices were small in my opinion. But good. Reminded me muchly of Mellow Mushroom, to be honest. It could pass for their pie. The sauce was quite nice, and the crust just about right. Mellow Mushroom done right, is hard to beat. Lupi's is at least barking on their tail, with a very like pizza.

Quite curious about "Cheeseburger Cheeseburger"??? It's been downtown forever now, and I always wonder if it's anything special...

Lastly, the new addition to the aquarium is open, and it's pretty sweet. You can pet baby sharks and sting-rays, visit a room full of nothing but butterflies, and a bunch of other neat things. They haven't soaked anyone for more more $$$, as far as I can tell.

Downtown Chattanooga, with the aquarium/Coolridge Park area, plus several superb movie theatres, and places to eat...remains a story of tremendous big/little city re-birth.

One could and SHOULD spend a day at every point of interest upon Lookout Mountain...

carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/05 19:44:22 (permalink)
Excellent report, ULVER. I don't think I knew the King's Lodge in it's better days, or maybe I'm thinking of someplace else. Is this near the interstate on Market?

I've not been to Cheeburger. The Nightfall concert series should be strting soon, though I don't think they've updated the website from last year. When they do I'll post here.

ULVER
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/05 20:19:18 (permalink)
quote:

Excellent report, ULVER. I don't think I knew the King's Lodge in it's better days, or maybe I'm thinking of someplace else. Is this near the interstate on Market?

I've not been to Cheeburger. The Nightfall concert series should be strting soon, though I don't think they've updated the website from last year. When they do I'll post here.

The King's Lodge sits at 2400 West Side Dr. on the side of the East Ridge. You can see it from the I-24. It's sad to see the demise, of a place of good times.

Also, a Chattanooga legend I mentioned: Double Cola---was not to be found. I used to buy it by the wooden case right off the dock for dirt cheap. They were still bottling 20oz. glass from the 70's, just a few years back. It was a throw-back to a better day IMHO. It's plant, an ancient red brick building, still stands, with another company today.

Like most things, Double Cola still can be had. Via the internet in cans. But it's just not the same...

Another interesting tidbit: It seems both Taco Mac & Mellow Mushroom pizza are largely popular. Atlanta mainstays have taken root in cool downtown Chattanooga. From what I'm told, a Taco Mac that opened in trendy, alternative 5 Points in Birmigham, didn't last two years. I was amazed! Just goes to show you, how Chattanooga's Aquarium area is really a shinning star of commerce. The "fish tank", Eye-Max, a beautiful neon movie theatre showing first-runs, and several fine places to eat, all in walking distance.
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/05 20:27:43 (permalink)
THat's a different place than I was thinking. I think maybe it was Knight's Lodge on Market.
The old Double Cola plant is now run by a company that does private label drinks for kroger, etc.
Also, I didn't know Taco Mac was a chain. Learn something every day.
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/05 22:48:45 (permalink)
The link for Nightfall is: http://66.201.108.86/html/2_A_nightfall.asp

The entire series has not been booked but you can see the impressive lineup already booked. this is free, and held every Friday.
There is a link to something called Rhythem & Noon, also held on Friday's at noon.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/05 23:57:25 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
I'll respond to this topic tomorrow. The library is clo
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/06 02:01:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ULVER

quote:

The King's Lodge sits at 2400 West Side Dr. on the side of the East Ridge. You can see it from the I-24. It's sad to see the demise, of a place of good times.

I always noticed the King's Lodge whenever we came through Chattanooga and thought it would be a cool place to stay. Unique location, nice view; then I saw it on an episode of "COPS" one night. Bummer.
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/06 08:15:27 (permalink)
In general I really like the East Ridge area. It's very diverse for sure. I've only stayed atthe Holiday Inn a couple times but didn't notice the King's Inn, must be on other side of I-75.
lknight
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/06 11:02:10 (permalink)
Porker's BBQ has a good pulled pork, a great lunch place, just don't go the same time as all the TVA employees- for Rib's it is hard to beat Sticky Fingers.
Cheeburger Cheeburger - cute 50's diner, good milk shakes, floats, baskets of fries or rings, hamburgers are good - eat the one pounder and get your picture on the wall. Fun spot, I just don't go too often, I feel like I had Thanksgiving dinner by the time I left. There is another one on the other side of town on Gunbarrel by Hamilton Place Mall.
lknight
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/05/06 11:47:49 (permalink)

Along with Nightfall there is a Rhythm & Noon Concert Series that begins today at Miller Plaza:

Citico kicks off the Rhythm & Noon Concert Series.

Enjoy lunch outside today while listening to some great music as the Rhythm & Noon Concert Series begins its 2005 season of free lunchtime programs on the Miller Plaza Stage. The string band Citico will perform from Noon to 1:00 PM.

The Rhythm & Noon Series showcases a variety of local and regional artists presenting classical, folk, jazz, choral, pop, gospel and blues music through August.

The Rhythm & Noon concert series is presented by the Chattanooga Downtown Partnership, and is sponsored by Chattanooga Coca Cola Bottling Company, Sunny 92.3 and WTCI TV 45. Call 265-0771 for more information.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1