The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 14, messages 91 to 120 of 393
carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 05/13/05 4:42 PM (permalink)
Big weekend in Chattanooga. Their Riverfront Park is opening to lots of hoopla this weekend. I understand there is a people mover that goes from the Art District to downtown and several new restaurants opening downtown. One, across from Big River is called Easy Seafood, apparently a small 2 - 3 location place opening up there.

sandymacey

• Total Posts: 4
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Mon, 05/16/05 1:05 PM (permalink)
    Lavanda - try Mount Vernon at the base of Lookout Mountain for the BEST pies and meat and threes. The best chain BBQ is Smokey Bones at Hamilton Place Mall, and there are good Q's everywhere, but one must be brave and leave the highway and downtown. The best ribs are Master Blasters on Central Ave, and Old Plantation is on Dodson Avenue. Couch's BBQ is on Lee Highway close to Ooltewah, and I can attest to the excellence of their chicken, beans, and slaw. Their pies are awesomely high. Good southern breakfasts can be found, beleive it or not, at Cracker Barrel, or Country Place, at Hamilton Place Mall. Other breakfast joints I'm not sure of, but there's a great one at the head of Highway 153 - Hungry House.

carlton pierre

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 05/27/05 6:25 PM (permalink)
      Stopped at Durty Nellie's yesterday afternoon for some dessert with my daughter. We bothhad bread pudding which was quite excellent. Excellent menu they have and one item I did not get to try was the fried pickles. Anyway, it's a great Irish tavern/pub.

carlton pierre

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 05/27/05 7:47 PM (permalink)
        BTW, The Nightfall Concert series starts tonight and runs every friday night thru the summer. Some really good acts are going to be performing, for free.

Crowder

• Total Posts: 13
          RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 06/11/05 12:08 PM (permalink)
          Great forum here. As a native Chattanoogan I thought I'd list a few locally-owned joints that I love. Some of these you've already sniffed out.

BBQ Pork: Porker's downtown

BBQ Ribs: Steve's Landing (Soddy Daisy, TN, way out but worth it...makes Sticky Fingers taste like Puppy Chow)

Breakfast: the Innside (downtown--looks ratty, be brave)

Burritos: Mojo Burrito in St. Elmo

Catfish: The River Inn on Suck Creek Road, not far from Merv's

Cheeseburgers: Merv's (on Morrison Springs Road, across the river but not far from Downtown--it's much safer than it looks...you will thank me!). If you want less of an adventure, try Armando's on Main Street

Chicken Wings: THIS is what you order at Sticky Fingers. Trust me--their Q is second rate, but they rule on this treat

Chinese: Formosa (Hixson area....in a strip mall, but don't let that throw you off)

Coffee: Greyfriar's (next to Lupi's), Chattz (closer to Porker's) or The Stone Cup (Coolidge Park area)

Deli: River Street Deli near Coolidge Park

Fine Dining: (just in case) St. John's in the Southside, across from Porker's

Fried Shrimp: Nikki's Restaurant

Hot Dogs: Griffin's is a unique experience...the original on Main Street is safe to visit, but there are now 5-6 locations around town

Irish Pub: Durty Nelly's near Coolidge Park

Italian: Tony's Pasta (Bluff view Art District)

Meat-n-3: Zarzour's Cafe, Rossville Ave. and make sure to order dessert. Also highly recommend the Southern Star located in the Freight Depot shopping area downtown (I'd avoid Bea's these days)

Mexican: Amigo's for the everyday, cheap Mexi-food experience, Tortilla Factory (downtown) for something a little more interesting (and also a great rooftop bar overlooking the Aquarium)

Pizza: Lupi's if downtown, Pisa Pizza if near Coolidge Park

Pastries: Rembrandt's Coffee House or River Street Deli

Sushi: Hiroshi's on the Southside or Sushi Nabe in Coolidge Park

Thai: Thai Smile near the Aquarium or Sweet Basil in the Eastgate area

NOW WHAT NOT TO DO:

DON'T be tempted by the Dinner Cruise on the riverboat....yecch
          DON'T get your cheeseburgers at Cheeburger Cheeburger
          DON'T go to Sekisui for sushi (near the Aquarium)
          DON'T eat at any of the chains downtown...there are too many other choices!

Have fun while you visit our little town!

Crowder

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 06/11/05 12:12 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by DAP

A recent $40 a day episode was on Chattanooga. Rachel ate at Aretha Frankenstiens, Back Inn Cafe and Dinner at the Diner. We are going to Chattanooga next week and would like to know if others recommend these as well.

This is the River Street Deli. Some of the best pastries and desserts in town too.

Crowder

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 06/11/05 12:17 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Crowder

quote:
              Originally posted by DAP

A recent $40 a day episode was on Chattanooga. Rachel ate at Aretha Frankenstiens, Back Inn Cafe and Dinner at the Diner. We are going to Chattanooga next week and would like to know if others recommend these as well.

This is the River Street Deli. Some of the best pastries and desserts in town too.

Whoops....replied to the wrong post!

While we're at it, Aretha Frankenstein's is a good, funky little place to get breakfast or a burrito.

ULVER

• Total Posts: 226
                RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 06/11/05 1:04 PM (permalink)
                CROWDER:

Why so down on "Cheeseburger Cheeseburger?" The toppings looked pretty interesting.

Also, have you any idea when The King's Lodge was built? I had been staying there since the late 80's. It was a great spot. Now, it's one scarey place! Although, there's a cool tavern across the street, that seems to be caught in a 70's time-warp. And lastly, there's a restaurant across the bridge, near Durty Nellie's---I want to say it was named "Town & Country". It looks old, and is always crowded. Any help on that one? Thanks!!!

Crowder

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 06/11/05 3:18 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by ULVER

CROWDER:

Why so down on "Cheeseburger Cheeseburger?" The toppings looked pretty interesting.

Also, have you any idea when The King's Lodge was built? I had been staying there since the late 80's. It was a great spot. Now, it's one scarey place! Although, there's a cool tavern across the street, that seems to be caught in a 70's time-warp. And lastly, there's a restaurant across the bridge, near Durty Nellie's---I want to say it was named "Town & Country". It looks old, and is always crowded. Any help on that one? Thanks!!!

I can't believe you actually stay at the King's Lodge!!!! Tell me your budget and let me suggest an alternative, for your safety.

Town and Country is very bland homestyle cooking that is popular with the over-60 set. There are lots of better choices around. Anyway, a plan was just approved to raze the restaurant and put up a Walgreen's on that corner.

carlton pierre

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 06/11/05 4:57 PM (permalink)
                    Yeah, Town & Country may already be closed, if not it is closing very soon.
                    Crowder, an excellent listing of places you like and to visit. I've visited some of them and hope to visit the ones you suggest that I have not been to.

ULVER

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 06/11/05 5:02 PM (permalink)
                      CROWDER:

LOL! I like the view from the King's Lodge! Any other place I can enjoy the lights of the city at night? 15 years ago, it was a nice place. I don't know why it got so rough, when most of East Ridge seems quiet.

Ya never did say why you weren't fond of "Cheeseburger Cheeseburger."

Crowder

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 06/11/05 5:26 PM (permalink)
                        quote:

CROWDER:

Ya never did say why you weren't fond of "Cheeseburger Cheeseburger."

To me, the consistency of the meat is weird there, almost tough or chewy. I like mine greasy!

pelham1861

• Total Posts: 1
                          RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Mon, 06/20/05 10:24 AM (permalink)
                          Personally, I find the quality at CHEESEBURGER, CHEESEBURGER terrific. The service is excellent...and as you 'build your own' burger with toppings...you know it's going to be great. The FRIES are fantastic. Drawbacks: It can get crowded and a little noisy...lots of student tour groups visiting downtown Chattanooga...but the food makes it worth it!

TOWN & COUNTRY on the North Shore side of downtown is a Chattanooga institution. It's been around more than half a century and is quite beloved. Owners are heading into retirement and have leased property for a Walgreens Drug Store. However, the place is still open and worth a visit. The service is superb, the endless salads just fine and you can hardly find a more comprehensive menu. It will be missed by young and old alike.

carlton pierre

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 06/22/05 5:02 PM (permalink)
                            I stopped in at The Pickle Barrel yesterday for some fried pickles. they were excellent!! I think I'll have some every time I'm in town.

On a side note, went downtown and visited the new Trail of Tears area along the river and thought it was incredibly well done and quite moving to visit. I had visited Red Clay earlier in the day and have been to New Echota many times as well and thought this was so well done.

Took my kids out for dinner to Cheeburger, Cheeburger, which is where they asked to go. I don't know if they all have the 50's/ 60's motif but if you like that kind of thing, it was well done.

carlton pierre

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 07/20/05 1:47 PM (permalink)
                              I had lunch yesterday at the Rib & Loin on Hixson Pike. I've been there 3 or 4 times but I thought it was especially good. The Q was wonderful and the blackberry cobbler was exceptional.
                              Dinner at Aretha Frankenstein's. A neat little place with a great menu. Very creative. It's small. only 3 or 4 tables inside and a number for outdoor seating. It seems they specialize in breakfast and you can have breakfast from 8 am to midnight, but I had a huge burrito with refried beans and bacon.
                              I've just heard about a great place alsoon Hixson Pike called Las Brases which apparently makes outstanding tamales and I hope to try them next visit.

I'm still hoping one of the locals will venture to Ooltewah and visit Young's BBQ and give a report.

carlton pierre

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 07/20/05 9:42 PM (permalink)
                                Some places I'm curious about. Anyone ever been to:
                                Soup's On Broad St
                                Southern Restaurant Dayton Blvd
                                Tubby's Burgers Cherokee Blvd
                                The Big Table Cross St

Chattanooga is one of my favorite cities. There are tons of good eateries here.

Crowder

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 07/20/05 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by carlton pierre

Some places I'm curious about. Anyone ever been to:

Soup's On Broad St Basic, but good

Southern Restaurant Dayton Blvd Decent meat-n-three place, nothing special, but good if you're nearby there. Pario's just up the road is a little more interesting

Tubby's Burgers Cherokee Blvd Great burgers of a certain type...not my favorite type, but good. If I were near there and wanted a burger, I'd go to Merv's in Red Bank

The Big Table Cross St Never heard of it

Fat Pig

• Total Posts: 72
                                    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 07/21/05 12:35 AM (permalink)
                                    Did nobody mention 212 Market? http://www.212market.com/

ULVER

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 07/21/05 1:46 AM (permalink)
                                      Gonna be making another trip to Chattanooga soon.

Mixed comments here on "Cheeseburger Cheeseburger", but I want to try it for myself. I think it will for sure, be lunch.

My date thought downtown might be fun for pizza. So ya have Lupi's & Mellow Mushroom. We have Mellow Mushrooms in every part of Atlanta. I have found a lot depends, on who fixes and bakes your pie. Overall however, I think the quality of the product from Mellow Mushroom is superior for a chain. Lupi's reminded me of the neo-stoner atmosphere, of a small local chain in Atlanta called Felini's. Strangely enough, the pizza was a taste-clone as well! Spooky!

Durty Nellie's somewhat confuses me. Years ago, I discovered it, and had a blast. However, return trips, have found a "lively Irish pub", closed by 9pm! On a Saturday night, that really bums me.

***I have noted that The King's Lodge is now, a fairly dangerous spot to rest your head. That being said, I still fondly recall, when it ran it's own restaurant, which was good. Across the street, remains a restaurant/tavern...that warps you back to the 70's. I wish a local could chime in...

Fat Pig

• Total Posts: 72
                                        RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 07/21/05 8:17 AM (permalink)
                                        If you are talking about the national chain it's "Cheeburger, Cheeburger". It's okey, but I can't imagine it's the best any city has to offer. I would not avoid the place, but no way I'd ever seek it out.

Crowder

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 07/21/05 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

Gonna be making another trip to Chattanooga soon.

Lupi's reminded me of the neo-stoner atmosphere, of a small local chain in Atlanta called Felini's. Strangely enough, the pizza was a taste-clone as well! Spooky!

The guy who started Lupi's made a deal with Fellini's....something like he worked there for free while they showed him the ropes, or something. His ex-wife owns it now, from what I hear.

The place across from the King's Lodge used to be owned by the same guy who owns Porker's BBQ downtown. Not sure if that's still the case. Definitely a throwback place, all regulars most nights.

Someone mentioned 212 Market. It's a good locally-owned place with interesting original preparations, always changing. Desserts are a specialty. The food is always good, but rarely great in my opinion. I prefer St. John's in the same category.

ceasar

• Total Posts: 3
                                            RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 08/2/05 11:13 PM (permalink)
                                            My favorite place for breakfast, lunch and snacks in Chattanooga is the Bad A__ __ Coffee Cafe at 4th and Market. The salads are wonderful, such a selection of drinks, hot and cold and the Big A--Cinnamon Roll is a wonderful treat. Their low carb raspberry eclair cheesecake is to die for.

My favorite dinner place is the Acropolis at Hamilton Place. There is a shrimp invented by Grandfather there, who greets each guest personally. I can't remember the name but it is a long name that starts with T. Just ask the server for the shrimp dish with the funny name.

Both places you can dine outside in the shade. These are both regular stops when I am in Chattanooga on business.

The Rib & Loin is my husband's regular BBQ stop. We are official certified BBQ judges and Rib & Loin makes the grade. Lots of food too.

The Pickle Barrel is a great stop for beer & fried pickles.

I am looking forward to finding more unique places.

BillVol

• Total Posts: 106
                                              RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 08/2/05 11:45 PM (permalink)
                                              I'm a Chattanoogan now living in Atlanta. One of my favorite places to eat is Teriyaki House in East Ridge. Just simple stir-fry chicken, beef, and/or shrimp with rice and veggies. I love the honey-mustard sauce. He should market that stuff to supermarket. I miss eating in Chattanooga. I think it is easier to eat out good and cheap in Chattanooga than in Atlanta. Seems like all we can find here, without sitting in traffic for an hour or spending a fortune, is Chili's, Applebees, Longhorn, etc.........

I wish the city of Chattanooga would buy the King's Lodge and tear it down. It used to be a classic '60s motel but it is dangerous now and is a blight on the city. A very visible blight. It would be a nice location for some upscale condos or maybe a new hotel.

carlton pierre

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 08/4/05 1:35 AM (permalink)
                                                A reminder that Guy Davis, any blues lover should know the name, is performing on Fri Aug 12 downtown Chattanooga for free as part of Nightfall.
                                                Aug 19 is Lucy Kaplansky.

This is a wonderful series of concerts.

mtstroud

• Total Posts: 11
                                                  RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 08/5/05 12:21 PM (permalink)
                                                  Yes, can't say that I was highly impressed. Two years ago, I paid a visit for a regional church meeting, and my mother, aunt, and I ate there for Friday evening supper. As I recall, I had the pork chops and turnip greens, and another vegetable as well. I would guess that it is mainly a local regular's favorite, skewing toward the 55-and-older set.

It is pronounced, as I recall, "Edison's", as in the inventor's name.
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Lavanda

Has anyone eaten at Eidsons ?

mtstroud

• Total Posts: 11
                                                    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 08/5/05 12:25 PM (permalink)
                                                    What do people think of Wally's, the old meat-and-three joint with two locations, one on McCallie Avenue, and the other in East Ridge off I-75? I don't think anybody has mentioned them yet. I went once to the midtown location and thought its meat was solid, but not average, with the Southern-style sides somewhat better.

Crowder

• Location: Signal Mountain, TN
                                                      RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 08/6/05 12:05 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by mtstroud

What do people think of Wally's, the old meat-and-three joint with two locations, one on McCallie Avenue, and the other in East Ridge off I-75? I don't think anybody has mentioned them yet. I went once to the midtown location and thought its meat was solid, but not average, with the Southern-style sides somewhat better.

Wally's is solid roadfood. The downtown location specializes in breakfast and lunch plates, while the East Ridge location features a big buffet of homecooked food. They're a popular choice for catering, too.

carlton pierre

• Location: Knoxville, TN
                                                        RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 08/13/05 10:45 PM (permalink)
                                                        Thought I'd relay my trip to Chattanooga yesterday. My wife & I went there to celebrate our anniversary and our daughter's birthday. Initially we went to Red Clay State Park, right outside the city, and this was the last HQ of the Cherokee Indians before removal. It's now a very beautiful park.
                                                        Drove past the Little Debbie bakery on our way to Chattanooga, wife sai she wanted some Mexican food, so I took her to a little street vendor on Main St called Guadalajara Tacos. That's all they make there and you have a choice of Cow Head, Cow tongue, goat, steak, and chorizo. Basically meat and cilantro and sauce on some corn tortillas, they were delicious. Washed down with some tamarind soda. The tienda on the corner is filled with Mexican cd's and cowboy boots.

We passed the English Rose Tea Room on Market St and she said she wanted to take me there. I had never been to a tea room and this place is really special and unique, though not masculine. lined with tea cozies and tea pots, and all kinds of English products for sale, they also serve lunch, or just tea. we had a little serving of teas, cheeses, scone, tea, and finger sandwiches. It's not a place where guys are going to hang out, but it was fun, the menu was unique, and I learned that a true scone is not a whole lot different from a biscuit.

Later that evening we had dinner at Tony's in the Art Bluff District. The food at this place is excellent, we had 6 different entrees ( including us and the kids) and all excellent. This is one of our favorite places in the city if we want to have a really nice meal.

Spent the night at the Read House which is a 100 + year old hotel. Our room was fantastic and the service here is top notch.

Breakfast at Aretha Frankenstein's this morning was exquisite. I myself had shrimp & grits and it was the best I have ever had. The food at this place is always well done, though the service has been second rate on my visits.

I noticed there was a BBQ & Beer festival today along the riverfront but did not know of it ahead of time so had to miss it. I saw Guy Davis last night downtown at the Nightfall series and it was jam packed and his performance was really good.

BillVol

• Location: Chattanooga, TN
                                                          RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 08/14/05 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          We were in the "Scenic City" over the weekend, too. Just a heads up for the breakfast buffet at The Chattanoogan hotel. Very good and only $10!!! Best sausage gravy I've ever tasted.

BillVol

• Location: Chattanooga, TN
                                                            RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 08/16/05 6:04 PM (permalink)
                                                            Is Shapiro's in Chattanooga still in business and as good as usual?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 14, messages 91 to 120 of 393

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com