Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 14
Author
BillVol
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/20 23:48:55 (permalink)
Ate at Steve's Landing in Soddy-Daisy tonight. We had to get the hey out of Atlanta and back to God's country -- just for a day at least. And there is no more holy place than Soddy-Daisy, Tenn.!

I don't know if Steve's is Roadfood, but it is darn good. To get there, take Hwy 27 north out of Chattanooga. Get off on the Hixson Pike/Soddy-Daisy exit and turn right. You'll see the sign 3 or 4 miles down the road. Steve's is maybe 20 minutes from downtown Chattanooga. Soddy-Daisy is an emerging suburb of Chattanooga. Hard to imagine because back when I lived there, it was looked down on. I never said I was from Soddy-Daisy. I always said I was from Chattanooga. Even in Tennessee, if you said you were from Soddy-Daisy, people would point their finger at you and chuckle. But things are changing for Tennessee's "twin cities," which I'm proud to call home!

My wife got Cajun pasta and blackened chicken. I got their great ribs. All were very good. They have an average cheese (Velveeta) and spinach dip with good nacho chips that we munched on as an appetizer. Surprising that it was average, because everything else looked fantastic. Everything that went by us as we waited looked very good. Much care is taken in preparing the dishes here, it appears.

They are always on a wait and when you check in, you can ask for beer and they'll just note it on the wait list. No messing around with waiting at a bar for a drink and then waiting to pay.

Steve's is nicely situated in a marina area, on the lake. It has a beachy, Key West, resort feel. It was stifling hot tonight, but there was still a nice crowd eating on the deck. It draws a good quality clientele. Nice cars in the parking lot and people from all over. Highly recommend Steve's. As good as advertised IMO.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/21 00:07:18 (permalink)
Bill, haven't been to Steve's but it must be good if you're willing to drive that far to go there.
As for God's country, you might want to take the road out of Lookout Mtn, I can't remember the number, south and right at the state line is a really neat hang gliding place.
I also like Dade County Ga a lot and Cloudland Canyon state park is a fascinating place to visit.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/21 11:26:58 (permalink)
carlton, I have made that beautiful drive before. If you pass the hang gliding place, you'll run into Canyon Grill, very popular restaurant.

We just kind of ran into Steve's. Just went up to Chattanooga for the day and headed out there on a whim. Turned out to be a good decision.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/21 11:29:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BillVol

Is Shapiro's in Chattanooga still in business and as good as usual?

I think Shapiro's is still there. I recall the Deli from the mid 60's. Best deli in Chattanooga by far. Great pickles.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/22 17:55:53 (permalink)
I think Shapiro's is closed. Seems as if the hot dog place in St. Elmo is owned by the same people. I was there about a year ago, so do not know if the St. Elmo place is still open, but it was good...

Laurie, who is glad she lives near Chattanooga's restaurants.
Crowder
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/22 20:10:56 (permalink)
If Shapiro's is closed, it happened in the last couple of weeks. I'm fairly sure they are still there.

BillVol, glad you enjoyed Steve's Landing. I gave them a plug way back on page three!

cjackg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/23 08:49:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DAP

Has anyone tried porvino's? We are planning a trip in April and a friend told us that it was the best italian he has ever had.

We recently moved to Chattanooga, and one of the 1st places we tried was Provino's italian restaurant, and it is outstanding ! Some of the best italian food anywhere. It is located near the new RAVE theaters just off I24 in Chattanooga.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/23 10:23:54 (permalink)
Provino's is an Atlanta chain of Italian restaurants. I think there are 6 or 7 of them in the Atlanta area. The Chattanooga location is the only one outside of metro Atlanta.

Never really liked it that much, but most people do. Montecalvo's in Kennesaw, Ga., and Osteria 832 in Virginia-Highlands part of Atlanta are my favorites!
cjackg
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/24 18:12:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Chattanooga has some excellent eateries and have already been mentioned. If you care to drive to Exit 11 on I-75 in Ooltewah there are 2 fantastic roadfood discoveries to make. One is The Kreme House. I think my favorite roadfood establishment. The other requires a right turn at the Burger King about 2 miles to Young's BBQ. Worth the drive!!

Carl Reitz
Knoxville, TN

I am new in Chattanooga and tried to locate "Young's BBQ" as mentioned above but never found it, or anyone that heard of it.
By chance were you referring to Couch's BBQ which is about 2mi from the Burger King at Exit 11? The que there is not pulled pork but is a tasty version of smoked thin-sliced pork if you call that bbq!
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/24 22:39:29 (permalink)
Ya know, jack, you're right. it is Couch's BBQ. Now that I think of it I don't know how I got the name Young's but I'm sure I got it from somewhere. I've been to Couch's a number of times and have always enjoyed it. It is a little different from your std. Q, but, vive la difference.
jack, as you get around chatttanooga I hope you'll share with us your discoveries and opinions.
cjackg
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/26 10:04:20 (permalink)
Another small bbq place I just tried is Spencer B's BBQ on E. Brainerd across the street from Hardees(near Graysville Rd). Spencer's is located in a box the size of a container, near a busy corner and is mostly takeout but they do have picnic tables where you can eat.
Their pork bbq is sold in sandwichs, plates, and by the pound. The meat is real pulled pork and is very good quality with a light smoked flavor. Their sauce is very good with lots of pepper, and not as heavy as some. I used some eastern-NC bbq sauce on a plate of Spencer's and the combo was great!
They also offer an interesting special called "A Meal By Itself - Killer Potato". Great prices on all their food too !

Spencers has a 2nd location in Ringgold,GA near I75 exit 350, on Hwy 2 & 41.

ceasar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/26 21:40:29 (permalink)
I was frankly disappointed with Rib & Loin on Brainerd Road Friday. My plate of ribs were either dissolving from being overcooked or so dried up they were like leather. The ones falling off the bone (which is NOT the correct doneness for ribs) tasted like they were boiled, no smoky flavor at all. There was a time I would drive 15 miles out of my way for Rib & Loin, but then I always got the pulled pork. I doubt I will go there again with so many other choices to try. I loved Sticky Fingers, especially their sauces, although they too gave into the public popularity of "falling off the bone". I look forward to trying Master Blasters. I have seen them at BBQ contests, but since it is blind judging, I don't know if I have ever tasted theirs.
ceasar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/08/26 21:51:09 (permalink)
try Mount Vernon at the base of Lookout Mountain for the BEST pies and meat and threes. The best chain BBQ is Smokey Bones at Hamilton Place Mall

Oh, yeah, Mount Vernon was wonderful!! I go to Chattanooga about 6 days per month and stay on Lookout Mountain at Garden Walk, which is a very cute B&B with individual cabin bedrooms. Their home cooked breakfasts are really good, such as sausage, rice and water chestnut casserole-sounds unusual but great!Anyway, I was tired and hungry and thought I would have to go find Canyon Grill and then stumbled on Mount Vernon. I was wanting their turkey & dressing, but the special was pork loin & dressing, which was exquisite.
Canyon Grill, I understand is owned by the same people as the Boathouse on Riverview Dr. The Boathouse has outstanding food, especially the wood grilled mushrooms-I could make a meal out of those.
Another favorite is the Greenlife Grocery for lunch. They have unusual food-stuffed mushrooms, ginger chicken, salads and you can get a dab of this and a dab of that-they charge by the ounce. They have a covered patio bistro atmosphere with overhead fans, or you can carry out. The food was so nourishing and satisfying that I wasn't even hungry for supper.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/09/09 10:14:12 (permalink)
Finally made it to Zarzour's in Chattanooga. Just as good as advertised. They had MS's Gourmet magazine article framed and on the wall. A Xerox copy of the article was signed by our own Chattanooga native son Samuel L. Jackson, who I'm sure has been there a time or two.

We had to try the cheeseburgers. They were fantastic. Everybody was very nice and made us feel welcome. The first thing Stepahnie said when we came to the counter was, "Did you hear about us from Roadfood?" I told her that despite living in Chattanooga many years, I would never have known about this place if not for Roadfood. I told her that I have lived in Atlanta for 8 years now and we made a special trip to eat lunch there yesterday. They have a brand new guestbook for people to sign and several of the entries mentioned roadfood.com.

One thing MS was right about was that it is tricky to find. I thought it was on Rossville Blvd (home of many fine Roadfood-type establishments, BTW). But it is on Rossville AVENUE -- near Main Street and the Choo Choo. Took us a while to find the place, but it was worth it. Meat loaf with creole sauce and country style steak were the two meat specials yesterday.

Thanks for roadfood.com for the heads up on this great place.
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/09/09 10:42:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I decided to have lunch yesterday at Zarzour's, in Chattanooga. How many restaurants can you think where there is a metal image of Santa Claus and Geronimo on the same wall, less that 6 feet apart?
I've been working in Chattanooga for the past 8 years and had been driving less than a block from this place all this time and never knew about it. There were 7 tables in the front of the place, along with a set of about 4 bar stools, the kind that swivel. I ordered a burger and fries. The cook dipper her big paw into a large tupperware container filled with ground beef and proceeded to slap this ball of meat into a patty using her hands then dropped it onto the grill. It was just awesome.
Everyone who came in, it's only open from 11am-2pm and it was slammed, seemed to be a friend of the staff. I love seeing that interaction.
I had a peanut butter pie for dessert and it was wonderful!!
Let's see, some little things I noticed: An autographed, hand written picture of the article from Gourmet magazine, signed by Samuel L. Jackson, who is from Chattanooga. This wason the same wall with Santa and just below Geronimo. The wall where I sat had tons of old b & w photos of Abe Z from the 30's and 40's.
Also, the neatest little slogan I saw," Tipping is not a city in China".
Can't wait to go back. I see why the Stern';s think so highly of it.

BillVol, thought I'd post a copy of my own visit there from a few months ago. I think Zarzour's is one of the more memorable roadfood places I've been to. And, like you, I would never have gone there if not for roadfood. Just down the street from it, the one that leads to Main St ( I can't recall the name of it) within eyesight of Zarzour's is my favorite Mexican taco stand, Guadalajara Tacos.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/09/18 22:36:58 (permalink)
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050918/COLUMNIST0405/509180378/1116/ENTERTAINMENT

Good review, cp. Zarzour's is fantastic.

Little tidbit, BTW, about Samuel L. Jackson. He was a fan of Chattanooga-based Krystal hamburgers. Without question, Krystals are Roadfood all the way!
laytonj1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/09/18 23:13:13 (permalink)
I'm going to "Wine Over Water" in Chatanooga next weekend. Anyone ever been? Just wanted to get some insight...
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/09/22 22:27:52 (permalink)
I'm not familiar with this event but I sure hope you'll give us a review when it's over, layton.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/10/25 00:15:11 (permalink)
Just thought of this one. HUGE Roadfood recommendation for Noogie: Favorite Market convenience store for fried chicken and fried chicken livers. The best in town and the best anywhere. Common knowledge in Chattanooga. One is off of I-75 at the Lee Hwy/Bonny Oaks exit. The other is by Warner Park, Engel Stadium, Erlanger Hospital at Holtzclaw and 4th (or 3rd).
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/11/30 23:19:29 (permalink)
Anybody tried Roy's, just steps outside of Chattanooga in Rossville, Ga.? It is a very good, old fashioned restaurant -- best shakes and malts in Chattanooga (although technically in Georgia).
carlton pierre
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/12/03 12:33:29 (permalink)
www.chattanoogadineout.com
click on the "reviews" button. excellent site for locating restaurants in the city. Click on the colored stars next to the restaurant's name and you can read the reviews.

Crowder
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/12/03 21:28:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BillVol

Anybody tried Roy's, just steps outside of Chattanooga in Rossville, Ga.? It is a very good, old fashioned restaurant -- best shakes and malts in Chattanooga (although technically in Georgia).

Always wondered about that place. It has ended up looking kind of run down these days, but I need to try it.

To get there, you'll also pass the Terdon Restaurant on Rossville Blvd. It's about halfway between the interstate and the GA line on the right side of the road. I'm not that impressed with the food, but it's a similar feel to Zarzour's and there is the chance that I just ordered the wrong thing. :D

I want to also promote the Innside in downtown Chattanooga. It's at the corner of Chestnut and 8th, sort of behind the Sheraton Read House. Great and cheap for breakfast and lunch M-F, not open for dinner or on weekends. They have a classic horseshoe lunch counter, and it's usually crowded but it turns over fast. If you don't smoke you'll want one of the 3 tables over by the windows--that's where you'll find me about twice a week, since it's a short walk from my office. Anyway, it's very convenient to most of the hotels where you might stay downtown such as the Marriott, Read House or any of the ones down on the river.

tgfny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/12/07 16:13:51 (permalink)
Is the restaurant just down from the entrance to Baylore still there? Drive in with good burgers and amazing chocolate and banana milkshakes.
Crowder
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/12/07 20:26:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tgfny

Is the restaurant just down from the entrance to Baylore still there? Drive in with good burgers and amazing chocolate and banana milkshakes.

Are you talking about the Dairy Gold? It's still going strong. A little piece of history there.
tgfny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/12/08 12:15:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Crowder

quote:
Originally posted by tgfny

Are you talking about the Dairy Gold? It's still going strong. A little piece of history there.

That's it, Dairy Gold. Loved the chocolate banana milkshake. Used to detour when going to Vandy.
Squidly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/02/26 07:54:00 (permalink)
Just returned from an impromptu business trip to Chattanooga and checked out the forums before I left. Lots of good info in this thread. We arrived late afternoon Wednesday and left early morning Friday which left little time to sample the local restaurants but we did get two excellent meals while we were there. We stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown which puts you within walking distance of a lot of good restaurants.

First night we were going to check out the Big River Grill until the bartender at the hotel suggested Hennen's Restaurant instead. Hennen's is a block from the hotel and has been in business only since last November. Kind of a high end steak, seafood, pasta place. Huge wine selection showcased in the middle of the restaurant floor. Private dining rooms available. One of the things that prompted our decision to try Hennen's was that the bartender told us "huge portions". She wasn't kidding. I started with the house salad and a ginger-wasabi dressing that could have fed two. Entree was a 16 oz ribeye rare and a loaded baked potato. The other two guys had steaks as well. One a filet with potato pancakes and the other a New York strip with sour cream and chive mashed potatos. The steaks were on the generous side and grilled perfectly. The sides were huge and tasty. I was glad to see my dining partners needed only salt and pepper for their steaks. The drinks were stiff and the beer cold. They served Anchor Steam beer that I thought had closed doors years ago. For dessert I had a caramel mousse and lace cookie napoleon. I managed half before I pushed away. Again it was enough for two people. I thought they were going to have to roll me out of there.
Breakfast the next day was a hurried affair at the hotel then off to business. Had lunch on the job then back for dinner in Chattanooga. After reading this thread and owning a 15 year craving for a good pizza we walked over to Lupi's. Did not disappoint. Outstanding pizza!. Two of us had pizza and the third a calzone. Mine was a 16" with pepperoni and mushrooms. The crust is Neapolitan. Crunchy on the bottom and outside and resistant to the bite, yeasty and full of holes. Sauce was neutral but quite good and the mozzarella a thick, molten mass. It appeared to have been fresh sliced rather than shredded from the way it laid on the crust. The mushrooms were fresh and sliced with the stems (a plus for me) and the pepperoni was, well, pepperoni. I have never been able to distinguish much difference between pepperonis after they land on a pizza (which is the only time I eat it). The calzone my buddy had was literally the size of a football. I don't know what he had it filled with but it came with a good sized bowl of pizza sauce for dipping. Both of the guys that went with me were kind of ho-hum about pizza until they ate a Lupi's pizza. All they had ever had was Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc. Lupi's changed that. Great beer selection too.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/02/26 08:01:48 (permalink)
Squidly: Next time I am in Chattanoooga which is pretty often, I will try Lupi's

thanks for the write up.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/03/14 00:22:10 (permalink)
Do some McCallie boys run Lupi's? Isn't Keo-Kio an honorary club at McCallie? For those who don't know, McCallie is one of our city's fine private schools. Ted Turner is one of many famous McCallie grads.

http://www.mccallie.org
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/03/14 11:56:58 (permalink)
I can tell you where not to park if going to the Cracker Barrel in Chattanooga. My wife and I met some of her family at the CB so she could go back to Sevierville with them while I continued North on a business trip. The parking lot was jammed but lo and behold there was a vacant spot right in front under the CB sign, my lucky day. When I left about 45 minutes later I could hardly recognize my car as that sign is the roosting spot for about a million pigeons that had cra--ed all over it. I had to delay my departure long enough to locate a car wash.

John
wilewil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/03/14 16:11:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

I can tell you where not to park if going to the Cracker Barrel in Chattanooga. My wife and I met some of her family at the CB so she could go back to Sevierville with them while I continued North on a business trip. The parking lot was jammed but lo and behold there was a vacant spot right in front under the CB sign, my lucky day. When I left about 45 minutes later I could hardly recognize my car as that sign is the roosting spot for about a million pigeons that had cra--ed all over it. I had to delay my departure long enough to locate a car wash.

John

Many would say that usually happens inside!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1