Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 14 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/03/15 08:54:49 (permalink)
My wifes brothers and sisters have Cracker Barrel directories, when they travel all stops are planned around their locations. To each their own.

John
Crowder
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/03/16 19:28:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BillVol

Do some McCallie boys run Lupi's? Isn't Keo-Kio an honorary club at McCallie? For those who don't know, McCallie is one of our city's fine private schools. Ted Turner is one of many famous McCallie grads.

http://www.mccallie.org

It was started by a guy named Greg Baeirstow and his wife. Someone might correct me, but I heard they split up and the Mrs. owns and operates both restaurants now.

You might be thinking of Sticky Fingers. I believe some of those fellas went to McCallie.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/03/16 19:40:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Crowder

quote:

Do some McCallie boys run Lupi's? Isn't Keo-Kio an honorary club at McCallie? For those who don't know, McCallie is one of our city's fine private schools. Ted Turner is one of many famous McCallie grads.

It was started by a guy named Greg Baeirstow and his wife. Someone might correct me, but I heard they split up and the Mrs. owns and operates both restaurants now.

You might be thinking of Sticky Fingers. I believe some of those fellas went to McCallie.

I think you are correct on Sticky Fingers. Quite a story. I sort of admire these guys. I have never tried their restaurant as there is not one in Knoxville but there is one in Chattanooga. I have no idea about the quality of their food. They now have several restaurants.

http://www.stickyfingersonline.com/howstarted.asp

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/03/17 15:36:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by Crowder

quote:

I think you are correct on Sticky Fingers. Quite a story. I sort of admire these guys. I have never tried their restaurant as there is not one in Knoxville but there is one in Chattanooga. I have no idea about the quality of their food. They now have several restaurants.

http://www.stickyfingersonline.com/howstarted.asp

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

We ate at the downtown Chattanooga Sticky Fingers in February. The food was good, the service was decent, the wait was understandable, the feel was corporate. I like hole-in-the-wall type places much more, but I couldn't fault the meal. It was good, not great - but I would be comfortable returning for another meal.

I was much more impressed by our meal the day before at Big River Grille. We are all anxious to return to Big River Grille and try more of their menu. All three of us thoroughly enjoyed our choices.

We were VERY disappointed in our Saturday evening meal at Bea's - the food on our table was already cold when we were seated. Only after we finished off the cold chicken and sides did they bring out fresh hot refills. Of course, we were getting rather full by then. The second serving (hot refill) of chicken was the only redeeming part of the meal. It was quite good.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/03/25 00:07:01 (permalink)
Sticky Fingers sucks. I don't want to beat around the bush here. There is nothing remarkable about this place. Avoid it.

I also agree that Big River is - now - very good. They have overhauled their menu and the food is very good now. The beer has always been excellent. However, Big River is not Roadfood. Is it?
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/03/25 23:08:38 (permalink)
quote:

Sticky Fingers sucks. I don't want to beat around the bush here. There is nothing remarkable about this place. Avoid it.

I also agree that Big River is - now - very good. They have overhauled their menu and the food is very good now. The beer has always been excellent. However, Big River is not Roadfood. Is it?

There is no roadfood in downtown Chattanooga that I could see. If it is there, we missed it. Just the same - we enjoyed our meal at Big River Grille and would happily return for another.
cjackg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/04/03 15:30:22 (permalink)
Breakfast at Aretha Frankenstein's this morning was exquisite. I myself had shrimp & grits and it was the best I have ever had. The food at this place is always well done, though the service has been second rate on my visits.

Bad News !

Aretha Frankenstein's had a major fire last weekend, and was pretty much destroyed. They are not sure if it will be re-built.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/04/03 16:06:08 (permalink)
I really hate to see that place have a problem. I enjoyed it before Rachael Ray had it on her program a couple of months ago. Tremont Street will not be the same.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
cjackg
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/05/07 17:15:56 (permalink)
I have yet to find an outstanding place for steaks in Chattanooga.

Last week I tried Porter's Steakhouse in the Sheraton Read House Hotel thinking that a place that pricey would for sure have a great steak..... what a mistake!
The steak was mediocre at best, service was sloppy, and the drinks were priced out of sight.... anyone paid $11. for one bourbon on the rocks lately?

I sure would like to hear any recommendations for steaks in Chattanooga.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/05/08 08:53:31 (permalink)
I've traveled to Chattanooga for some thirty years and have never found anything close to what is in Knoxville. Zarzour's is great but doesn't hold a candle to King Tut. Nothing even close in Chattanooga to the great sandwiches at Ali Baba (wearing his t shirt as I type...office day so who cares).

There is nothing to compare to Regas in Chattanooga. I usually eat at a BBQ place downtown (I stay at the Hampton Inn just off the interstate and they recommended it) for breakfast...bbq omlet anyone?...and dinner. Lunch is where ever the customer wants to eat...generally buffet something. I've had some wonderful times in Chattanooga, being single for the first ten years of my travels there, but food was NOT involved.

My only two recommendations for foodies in Chattanooga are Zarzour's and the Lodge factory outlet in South Pittsburg, TN.
Crowder
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/05/08 20:23:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cjackg

Last week I tried Porter's Steakhouse in the Sheraton Read House Hotel thinking that a place that pricey would for sure have a great steak..... what a mistake!
The steak was mediocre at best, service was sloppy, and the drinks were priced out of sight.... anyone paid $11. for one bourbon on the rocks lately?

Porter's is definitely a 'MISS.' Try Southside Grill, St. John's or the Back Inn Cafe for a good piece of meat.

There's a new place right by the aquarium called the Blue Plate that is getting excellent reviews. The menu consists of updated classics like a meat loaf made with Angus beef and sausage.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/05/08 20:54:15 (permalink)
I worked a show in Winchester Tenn. a while back. From there we took the backroads to Chattanooga for the Chatanooga ChooChoo fair. Not to far from the city we came upon an all you can eat catfish house. Real nice place overlooking a river and it was packed. Anyone have a clue as to the name? I was very satisfied with the food, and the mostly young help(had the impression it was a lot of family). Very fresh catfish, perfectly fried and hushpuppies I'd be proud to call my own. If I can find my route on a map I'll edit this with the road. (* Found it! It's the Riverside Catfish House @18039 Hwy.41 ph# (423)821-9214))
Oh and by the by, just a tip. If your inclined to shoot 9-ball for money, to do so in Chatanooga requires a much better stick than yours truly! It's a 9-ball town evidently. I was beaten and brutalized. Them lessons can get expensive!
Squidly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/05/09 10:32:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cjackg

Try Hennen's
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/05/12 23:26:51 (permalink)
Few comments on the recent posts:

First of all Regas in Knoxville now -- pardon the language -- SUCKS. It is nothing like it was when the Regas family owned it. Please don't compare that dump to some of Chattanooga's better places such as Southside, St. John's, 212 Market, Hennen's... However, Knoxville probably leads Chattanooga in overall restaurants -- although Noogie is gaining. Losing Aretha's was a huge loss for the city. I'm glad they are rebuilding. This place had (and will have) great food.

We've been to Blue Plate five times, and we are less impressed with each visit. We will not go again. The food just is not that good. They try to hot-dog comfort food, and you shouldn't do that. Blue Plate is an impressive looking place, designed by some hotshot restaurant designer from San Francisco. But the food is not that good. Their website is http://www.theblueplate.info

OK, here's some bad and shocking news. Regarding Eidson's, which is one of the places on Michael's list for Tennessee. Hold on to your hat...they use INSTANT MASHED POTATOES!!! I asked our server if they serve fresh veggies. She said they used instant mashed potatoes! Huge letdown for us, because this place is very good.

cjackg
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/06/25 19:40:49 (permalink)
I moved to Chattanooga from Knoxville 6 months ago, and they both have some good, and some outstanding places to eat.

Knoxville has Ali Babba's Timeout Cafe which is truly unique, and one of the best burgers anywhere at Linton's in Fountain City. My all time favorite steak place in Knoxville is Baker Peters Jazz Club on Kingston Pike.

Chattanooga has a great downtown area, with lots of interesting places to eat that Knoxville cant touch. Zarzours is a real original, 212 Market is great for upscale dining, Hennens is another great place to eat within sight of the river. There are numerous bbq and mex places all over the Chattanooga area. The best burger I have had here so far is at Lee's Armando on E. Brainerd Rd.

Two real classics have disappeared from Chattanooga since we moved here, Aretha Frankensteins burned down and Northside Lunch closed recently.

BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/07/27 15:59:49 (permalink)
bbires, thanks. I sure miss Chattanooga.

Another report. Southern Star restaurant. Had heard so many glowing reviews of this "meat and three." But we thought it was terrible. First of all, $8 seemed too high for their meat and three.

I got the bbq brisket, collards, okra and tomatoes, and mac and cheese. Brisket was no more than average. Collards were undercooked and flavorless. Mac and cheese was cold, hard and with little flavor. Okra and stewed tomatoes were decent. I exchanged my collards for black eyed peas, which were good. All of this was served with something called "fried cornbread." I'd never heard of this before. It is a potato chip-thin wafer of cornbread that is deep fried. It tastes like used grease and nothing else. Terrible.

My wife got an $8 salad called the "Milano." Anything at Chili's is better. It was smaller than I thought it would be and quite bland -- even with an extra dressing.

This place is very successful and is moving to a new location with more parking. But there are many Southern eateries in Chattanooga better than this place. They must make it off the captive business lunch crowd.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/07/27 16:04:28 (permalink)
Speaking of Knoxville, I wonder why the famous Knoxville steamed sandwich concept has never made it out of town (at least in a big way). They are so good. I think Glen-Gene Deli in Chattanooga serves steamed sandwiches. Ankar's (also in Chattanooga) sandwiches are hot but I'm not sure they are steamed.

Sam & Andy's, Gus's, Vic & Bill's (now closed I hear), Nixon's and Ali Baba all serve steamed sandwiches. But try to get one out of Knoxville. I could go for one now, but all I have to choose from is Subway, Quizno's, Firehouse, Blimpie, Jersey Mike's... Ick!

Why haven't steamed delis made it out of K-town? My guess is that it is because they ususally don't put vegetables on the sandwiches (lettuce, tomato...). But these sandwiches are different. You don't put lettuce on a pizza -- same for a Knoxville-style sandwich.

BTW, a great place in Auburn, Ala., called Mama Goldberg's serves steamed sandwiches and they are very good.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15302
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/07/27 16:17:05 (permalink)
A couple of friends and I will be just north of Chattanooga (Sweetwater area) next weekend.(Aug 4&5) Friday dinner is open at this point.Can someone give us directions and any further info about the Riverside Catfish and to Steve's Landing??? Did I read the thread correctly in saying the Steve's does a good job on ribs??
Any other possiblities between Sweetwater/Athens and Chatanooga. We don't mind some riding to get away from the I-75 places. A fish fry or BBQ place would be a good choice for that night. We will be at the Sweetwater Flea market Saturday Morning.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/07/27 16:55:13 (permalink)
http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=14965666

If you're coming from Sweetwater, you may cross over to Hwy 27 via Watts Bar Dam. If so, go south when you hit Hwy 27. You'll go through Dayton (home of the Scopes Trial), Sale Creek and then you'll hit Soddy-Daisy. This is 40 miles or so from where you enter Hwy 27. Exit at Hixson Pike and turn left. There are signs as you go along the road. Steve's is about 3 or 4 miles on the left.

If you're coming from Chattanooga, take Hwy 27 north from downtown. 20 miles or so to the Hixson Pike exit in Soddy-Daisy. Turn right this time and follow the signs.

I don't know where Riverside Catfish is, but it sounds good!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/07/27 17:00:04 (permalink)
Al, I have never been there and I am not sure where it is but it appears that it is on the Grand Canyon of the south road. Here is what I found:

http://www.wcities.com/en/record/,183940/433/record.html?event_name=&display=2
gbacounselor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/07/27 19:53:43 (permalink)
BillVol,

Sorry about the "blank reply." I had a log-in/password problem.

My husband and I ate for the first time at the Southern Star yesterday. It had been highly recommended, but I agree with you. I also had the beef brisket at the waiter's suggestion and found it to be nothing great. The fried eggplant was good, but the black-eyed peas were too salty. My husband had a grilled chicken salad which was also just average. The person who recommended the place said that the desserts were "to die for." Although our service was prompt and was very good during the meal, the waiter didn't even ask if I wanted dessert, so I'll never know!

quote:

bbires, thanks. I sure miss Chattanooga.

Another report. Southern Star restaurant. Had heard so many glowing reviews of this "meat and three." But we thought it was terrible. First of all, $8 seemed too high for their meat and three.

I got the bbq brisket, collards, okra and tomatoes, and mac and cheese. Brisket was no more than average. Collards were undercooked and flavorless. Mac and cheese was cold, hard and with little flavor. Okra and stewed tomatoes were decent. I exchanged my collards for black eyed peas, which were good. All of this was served with something called "fried cornbread." I'd never heard of this before. It is a potato chip-thin wafer of cornbread that is deep fried. It tastes like used grease and nothing else. Terrible.

My wife got an $8 salad called the "Milano." Anything at Chili's is better. It was smaller than I thought it would be and quite bland -- even with an extra dressing.

This place is very successful and is moving to a new location with more parking. But there are many Southern eateries in Chattanooga better than this place. They must make it off the captive business lunch crowd.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/07/29 13:05:58 (permalink)
I wonder if you were there when I was there. Reason I ask is because I made quite a scene there. I'm not sure what is wrong with me, but I occasionally have a hard time swallowing my food and sometimes have to upchuck it. That's just what happened at Southern Star. I had to run outside. I joked with my wife that the scene wouldn't have made a very good commercial for the place. Can you imagine pulling up for dinner and some guy comes shooting out the door and throwing up? LOL
BillVol
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/07/29 13:07:10 (permalink)
BTW someone recommended a soul food place inside Warehouse Row (across the street from Southern Star) down in the food court. They said it was great. Don't tell me that! ;-)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/07/29 13:18:25 (permalink)

We have created a list of many of the places on the North side of town that we may check out next Friday evening (8/4). We are staying in Sweetwater, so want to keep up that direction a bit. Will post the results of the search after our weekend. The Dillard Blues and BBQ Festival is our target for Saturday afternoon and Sunday. We are staying at the Dillard House (for obvious reasons !!)
Desolation Row
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/07/29 17:16:25 (permalink)
Al, if you are going to be staying in Sweetwater and are looking for BBQ I would recommend driving just 20 minutes north to Leo's Pulled Pig in Lenoir City. After filling up on Q you should make the 10 minute drive south to Loudon for icecream at the local institution, Tic-Toc Ice Cream Parlor. Both Lenoir City and Loudon are much closer to Sweetwater than Chattanooga and Soddy-Daisy.

From Sweetwater you would take I-75 N to exit #76 (Sugar Limb Rd), and take a right at the end of the exit ramp. Proceed for 2 miles then road will dead end at Hwy 11. Make a left on Hwy 11 and Leo's will be about 3 miles on the right. Tic Toc is about 8 miles south of Leo's on Hwy 11 in Loudon. It is just across the Tennessee River on the Loudon town square. Loudon is only a 10 minute drive from Sweetwater.

Leo's Pulled Pig, 312 W. Broadway, Lenoir City, 37771:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=312%20W%20Broadway%20St&city=Lenoir%20City&state=TN&zipcode=37771%2d2801&country=US&geodiff=1

Tic-Toc Ice Cream Parlor, 504 Grove St, Loudon, 37774:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=504+Grove+St&city=Loudon&state=TN&zipcode=37774
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/08/02 16:09:34 (permalink)
Desolation... Thanks for the tips, We added your suggestion to our list

bbires- Thats the weekend of the Baltimore Roadfood Crabfest session, We won't be in the area of your festival, Sorry...It Sounds like a winner, though.

AL
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/08/05 01:15:09 (permalink)
Yet another great day in Chattanooga. This town is really rockin' along! A simply wonderful Atlanta day-trip.

Did the Big River Grille again... They have their craft down to an art. I wish to become aware of the more off-beat eats. The "catfish" place sounds neat! How far out of the city>???
gbacounselor
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/08/05 17:33:27 (permalink)
quote:

I wonder if you were there when I was there. Reason I ask is because I made quite a scene there. I'm not sure what is wrong with me, but I occasionally have a hard time swallowing my food and sometimes have to upchuck it. That's just what happened at Southern Star. I had to run outside. I joked with my wife that the scene wouldn't have made a very good commercial for the place. Can you imagine pulling up for dinner and some guy comes shooting out the door and throwing up? LOL

BillVol,

Normally I would say, "Sorry I missed you," but under these circumstances, I'm not so sure! LOL On the other hand, considering the less-than-stellar experience we both had there, maybe you could have spared some other unsuspecting diners! I passed by that area again yesterday arund 12:15 PM and saw hordes of people walking to and from the direction of the Southern Star. I'll bet anything that the majority of their clientele comes from the TVA complex.
Yesterday my hubby and I had lunch at another old Chattanooga standby, the Mount Vernon at the foot of Lookout Mountain. We arrived around 12:30 and learned that they were already out of one of their daily specials, the "housemade meat loaf," as they described it, which is what we had both planned to order. My husband ordered the pork loin, which had a good deal of fat. I ordered the fried chicken breast, which was bland and slightly undercooked. However, the marshmallow yams and the coconut pie were delicious.
Owner of the Badboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/08/16 20:45:50 (permalink)
Check out the Broad Street Grille in the Chattanoogan Hotel. Easy Seafood downtown. Also Hennan's.
gbacounselor
Junior Burger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/09/01 20:31:52 (permalink)
My hubby and I had occasion to be on Dayton Boulevard in Red Bank and noticed that the Dari Gold has finally given up the ghost. It was quite a hangout in its day but has been steadily declining in recent years. My husband grew up in Chattanooga and has many happy memories of the place from his high school days.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 14 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1