Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 14
Author
gbacounselor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/10/29 19:59:48 (permalink)
I guess I am posting this in the wrong place because the topic is supposed to be Where Should I Eat? However, based on our experience today, I am call this Where SHOULDN'T I EAT? For my family, the answer would be J Alexander's! This establishment has been located in the Hamilton Place Mall area for close to ten years now. I had noticed that business had seemed to slack off; now maybe I know why! My husband, my son and I went there for lunch today to celebrate a special occasion. My son and I both ordered steak, which was VERY expensive. His was undercooked and at least 2-3 ounces of mine was fat. My steak was described as being marinated in pineapple juice. I had a similar steak last week at Logan's Roadhouse with better flavor! Even my Caesar salad was mediocre at best. I think that the kicker came when we noticed that the folks at the table next to us had a basket of croissants. When I asked our server if we were supposed to get bread, he replied that bread was served "on request." Since when does the patron have to ask for bread in a nice restaurant? Shouldn't the server ask...or, better yet, just bring it??!! We are $70 poorer but much wiser tonight!
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/11/15 13:27:09 (permalink)
This is a mustfor me, being as a kid my uncle brought me Burger Chef for lunch all the time. Both my beloved uncle, and Burger Chef are gone, but there's still one last place standing, that serves burgers from an original Burger Chef building.

It stands in Cleveland, Tn., just north of Chattanooga. Check out this excellent photo spread:

http://www.freewebs.com/burgerchef/thechefcleavelandtn06.htm

Has anyone else been to "The Chef?" I think for Roadfood types, anyone close to this bit of burger history, would get a kick out of a visit. I know I will... Thoughts>
Desolation Row
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/11/15 17:19:31 (permalink)
I remember going to the Cookeville Burger Chef many times as a kid with my Grandparents. When I attended college there in Cookeville in the early-mid 90's the Burger Chef was still open I have no idea what's in that building now, as I only visit Cookeville occasionally.
johnjchap
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2006/12/09 16:13:22 (permalink)
I lived in Chattanooga for two years and tried most of the BBQ joints. There are several good ones, but one stands out -- Sportsman's Bar-B-Q on Signal Mountain Road is absolutely, without a doubt the best BBQ place in Chattanooga. All of the food is great, but the pulled pork BBQ and their baked beans are OUTSTANDING! Every time I visit Chattanooga now, I do not miss the chance to stop by.

Here is a link to a local Chattanooga newsweekly with some additional information on Sportsman's Bar-B-Q:
http://www.chattanoogapulse.com/dguide/index.v?ac=display_est&Est_ID=85
Chattagnome
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/04/26 00:14:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cjackg

quote:
Originally posted by DAP

Has anyone tried porvino's? We are planning a trip in April and a friend told us that it was the best italian he has ever had.

We recently moved to Chattanooga, and one of the 1st places we tried was Provino's italian restaurant, and it is outstanding ! Some of the best italian food anywhere. It is located near the new RAVE theaters just off I24 in Chattanooga.

Sorry, but Provino's is pretty darn bland and Americanized. The best thing and the worst thing about the place is that you get a free dinner if it is your birthday. The best thing if it happens to be your birthday, the worst if you are obligated to go there to celebrate someone else's birthday. Now, if you are willing to drive about 10 miuntes or so from downtown (which is what you have to do to get to Provino's anyway), I highly reccomend Pastaria on Signal Mountain. This is authentic Italian and it puts Provino's to shame. The food and the atmosphere are wonderful. The best is sitting in the outside dining area, sipping on a bottle of wine, enjoying all of the courses of your meal from anti pasto all the way to the tirramisu. Also, many times the Chef, Nino Piccalo or his son-in-law, Kevin, will come have a chat with you and you really feel like you are back in the old country. Where as Provino's is a dinner out, Pastaria is a dining experience and price wise, there is not much, if any difference. (Of course, Provino's is a lot cheaper if it is your Birthday)
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/04/27 00:45:06 (permalink)
This is such a great little town! One of the best lunches we have had in a long, long time...Tony's up on the hill..You walk over a glass bridge to get there...This restaurant was terrific. They bake their own breads right behind the restaurant.
BillVol
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/06/07 17:06:12 (permalink)
http://www.stoutarc.com/Projects/BuiltWorks/HolmbergBridge.htm
http://www.bluffviewartdistrict.com/

The glass bridge is named after one of our city's finest citizens, Mrs. Ruth Holmberg, whose grandfather (or maybe it was great-grandfather) was Chattanooga's own Adolph S. Ochs, who left us to buy and make great a little paper called The New York Times. He always maintained his Chattanooga ties, however, including another paper of his, The Chattanooga Times. Ruth published The Chattanooga Times for many years.

Tony's is not bad. It is in the Bluff View Art District area, the neatest part of our town IMO. Their breads are outstanding.

bbires: Did not care for Sugar's Ribs/Big Time BBQ. I'm also surprised by their "Aunt Jemima" sign. Holy smokes. Right there on the interstate for all to see, too. I'll bet its days are numbered.

Cuban Cafe would be so much better if they used real Cuban bread (easy to get in Atlanta) instead of the French bread they use (which they also get in Atlanta). The other stuff is very good, though. The aroma of the place hits you like a ton of bricks when you open the door.
The Mikado
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/06/08 17:10:01 (permalink)
Bea's. For two things. The fried chicken (all breasts) and the chicken and dumplings (all the dark meat). Both home made...the rest of the stuff is okay, but not enough to bring me back. It's the CHICKEN.

If I don't get to Bea's, I get antsy and irritable. And I beat poor chicks when I discover them, out of spite.
The Mikado
Hamburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/06/12 12:06:27 (permalink)
Is that Sitar part of the family group that includes Huntsville and Nashville?

Hey, I am actually reviewing that one for Hsv's "Valley Planet." It IS the same family.

Based on Hsv and Nash, I say GO there. The food has been uniformly good. Here's the data:

Chattanooga Sitar
6231, Perimeter Place
Chattanooga,TN 37421
(423) 894-9696

Then go to Bea's for chicken for dessert.
The Mikado
Hamburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/06/13 19:00:35 (permalink)
Well, hopefully my review of sorts will be in the June 28 Valley Planet at valleyplanet.com...

We went last night and had Lamb Pasanda, Lamb Rogan Josh (had it in NYC, but it was goat), Goa Macchi (very good, with salmon), and Chicken Methi Mushroom (the fenugreek added a great taste, contrary to what some say of the herb). The menus seem to be the same across the board for the family chain, so you could try these in Chattanooga. We liked them all...even with medium heat, BTW, the pasanda and rogan are both relatively mild.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/06/13 23:26:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bbires

The Sitar Indian buffet out at the corner of 153 and Lee Highway is also quite good, far above the other Indian places in town. Does anyone know what happened to Old Saigon, the Vietnamese place that used to be out on either 153 or Hixson Pike? It didn't look like it was there the last time I drove by.

I sort of wonder if Sitar's is a chain as there is a Sitar's Indian Buffet in Knoxville at the corner of Kingston Pike and Northshore.

I have had lunch there several times. Some of their dishes are hotter than blue blazes but very tasty.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
The Mikado
Hamburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/06/15 12:08:34 (permalink)
No, but I will look into that. There used to be a Jamaican place up there, too. Don't know if there still is, but the radar will be searching for it.
gbacounselor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/06/18 18:23:55 (permalink)
I had the opportunity to visit the Mount Vernon for the first time since I posted a report last year. (We live on the other side of town and don't get over that way often.) Hubby and I arrived shortly after the place opened, and by the time we left, it was full. The entire meal was delicious! We both had country fried steak, which was lightly battered and accompanied by just the right amount of white gravy. I also had perfectly-seasoned turnip greens and yummy marshmallow yams. Although I was already stuffed, I couldn't leave without a slice of their famous Amaretto Pie, which was out of this world. So much for my diet, but it was worth every regained pound!
ULVER
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/06/18 19:16:31 (permalink)
Any good fishcamps in the Chattanooga area

I try to watch the fried foods, but it's one of my vices---CATFISH!

If anyplace does a nice broil, (talapia/trout), thats good too...

Thanks for any advice! I am back up that way soon!
bocaboard
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/12/18 19:07:24 (permalink)
I ate lunch at the Kreme House in November on my way to Chattanooga. I had a very good fried catfish sandwich and onion rings. Delicious! Staff was very friendly too.
bocaboard
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/12/18 19:11:34 (permalink)
The Big River Grille was a perfect place for me to stop for dinner last November. It was easy to get to with a parking lot right next door. I had a seafood Cobb salad that was BIG and had plenty of shrimp and crabmeat.
pjoe
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/12/22 18:09:24 (permalink)
Has anyone eaten at Choo Choo barbecue in Chattanooga? I've driven past it a few times and it always smells really good.
ULVER
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/12/22 19:10:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pjoe

Has anyone eaten at Choo Choo barbecue in Chattanooga? I've driven past it a few times and it always smells really good.

What part of the city is it in? Im heading up that way soon...
pjoe
Hamburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/12/27 02:57:23 (permalink)
I'm not very familiar with Nooga, but my gf grew up nearby in Dayton, TN. We've passed by this joint a few times and we've always wanted to stop in. Here's the addy and phone #

3951 Ringgold Rd
Chattanooga, TN 37412
Phone: (423) 629-1313

If you check it out, please let us know how the food is. If you happen to venture into Dayton, check out MoMo's bbq. Not bad at all.

Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/12/27 08:04:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bocaboard

The Big River Grille was a perfect place for me to stop for dinner last November. It was easy to get to with a parking lot right next door. I had a seafood Cobb salad that was BIG and had plenty of shrimp and crabmeat.

At the end of the same block as Big River is a seafood restaurant that they own as well. Nice place and judging by the crowds there I'd say it's very popular.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2007/12/27 08:05:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bbires

Did anyone go to the Bessie Smith Blues Strut during Riverbend? There was some awfully good street food along boths sides of MLK that night. I had a bucket of big shrimp in a butter garlic dressing with corn and new potatoes and a very large grilled sausage with peppers, onions, and mustard. I have not checked my cholesterol since that incredible experience, though. Whew! MLK during the Strut has to be one of the best-smelling streets in America.

If you like history then visit the Bessie Smith museum sometime. It's a great place anytime.
johnreed
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/01/09 03:26:52 (permalink)
I've been to the Choo Choo Barbecue at 3951 Ringgold Rd. several times. It's good, but it may not blow you away. I'm always disappointed when the potato salad (my favorite bbq side dish) is scooped from a foodservice tub.

TIP: The best barbecue sandwich I've had in years is at Petunia's Silver Jalapeno, housed in an old Airstream trailer across the street from Baylor School's entrance. Talk about road food!

Everything I've ordered from Petunia's has been delicious beyond belief. Ask for Petunia's Smoked Butt sandwich, assembled with large, tender chunks of pork, perfectly seasoned and smoked for 24 hours, then topped with homemade slaw and a dark, rich barbecue sauce. It's a generous sandwich.

Also, I enthusiastically recommend the smoked brisket chili. However, I think anything on the menu, from the fish tacos to the smoked chicken quesadilla, will please you.

Petunia's Silver Jalapeno
309 Signal Mountain Rd
Chattanooga, TN 37405
Phone: 423-785-7578

Here's a picture I found on a blog:

http://sugarandlard.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/petunias.jpg
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/01/09 14:30:43 (permalink)
Chattanooga's got some outstanding roadfood places and I will have to try this one. I think I am going there next week and will look for it. Thanks for putting the address. Looks great.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/01/10 21:19:46 (permalink)
It's been several years since we're been to this great little town. We loved Tony's up on the hill across the interstate. We walked over a glass bottom bridge. Then headed south out of town and stopped to get cast iron cookware at the factory.
johnreed
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/01/11 06:40:33 (permalink)
I forgot to mention that Petunia's Silver Jalapeno reopens on January 15 at 11:00 a.m.

They've been on Christmas vacation.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/01/12 05:47:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

It's been several years since we're been to this great little town. We loved Tony's up on the hill across the interstate. We walked over a glass bottom bridge. Then headed south out of town and stopped to get cast iron cookware at the factory.

The bridge you're referring to is in the "art district" and leads from the Hunter Art Museum. They have a sculpture garden along the walkway that is quite beautiful.
I do believe the cast iron factory would be Lodge in South Pittsburg and I think that would be west of town.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 410
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/01/25 13:24:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ULVER

Any favorite places to eat in Chattanooga? I love the Big River Grille brewpub! The meatloaf and grilled veggies, along with garlic mashed potatoes, makes me smile!

Thanks for thoughts and suggestions...

Eidson Restaurant, Ringold Rd.
pjoe
Hamburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/01/28 05:10:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by johnreed

I've been to the Choo Choo Barbecue at 3951 Ringgold Rd. several times. It's good, but it may not blow you away. I'm always disappointed when the potato salad (my favorite bbq side dish) is scooped from a foodservice tub.

TIP: The best barbecue sandwich I've had in years is at Petunia's Silver Jalapeno, housed in an old Airstream trailer across the street from Baylor School's entrance. Talk about road food!

Everything I've ordered from Petunia's has been delicious beyond belief. Ask for Petunia's Smoked Butt sandwich, assembled with large, tender chunks of pork, perfectly seasoned and smoked for 24 hours, then topped with homemade slaw and a dark, rich barbecue sauce. It's a generous sandwich.

Also, I enthusiastically recommend the smoked brisket chili. However, I think anything on the menu, from the fish tacos to the smoked chicken quesadilla, will please you.

Petunia's Silver Jalapeno
309 Signal Mountain Rd
Chattanooga, TN 37405
Phone: 423-785-7578

Here's a picture I found on a blog:

http://sugarandlard.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/petunias.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. When you're eating some barbecue that came from an airstream trailor, you know it's going to be good. I agree with the tater salad though. It's not hard to make good potato salad... actually it's not hard to make a pretty fantastic potato salad but it is always the last thing you want to order off of any menu. Sad.
Murph1969
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/02/14 13:57:01 (permalink)
One of my favorite places downtown is the Easy Seafood Bistro and Bar. My fiance and I take frequent trips to Chattanooga to see my family and we eat lunch there almost every time. You can check out their website here easyseafood.com. Fresh, delicious food and great service. Hope you all enjoy!
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/02/14 14:49:30 (permalink)
My RF friends in Chattanooga chided me recently for living so close to a Five Guys (here in CT) and never going until recently. They go for burgers and fries, and this time I sent them back for the hot dogs, which they absolutely loved. Five Guys is a small chain out of the D.C. area, I believe, but not like a typical burger chain: everything is cooked to order, thus it takes a while...but oh so worth the wait! Chris
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1