The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 14, messages 211 to 240 of 393
Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Thu, 02/14/08 3:54 PM (permalink)
Tony's in the Bluff View Art District is very, very good. this is a really neat town! Check out the homes on Signal Mt...$$$$$ NICE.

Just south of town is the Lodge cast iron skillet factory.

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 02/16/08 6:24 AM (permalink)
    My daughter who lives in Chattanooga is telling me about a pizza place she likes called Vinny and Joe's. It's a NY and Chicago style pizzaria. If you want NY style you order a Vinny, and Chicago style is a Joe.

TCo4482

• Total Posts: 3
      RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Tue, 02/19/08 10:55 AM (permalink)
      BBires definitely hit the nail on the head. Taco Roc on Lee Highway is the most authentic Mexican food I have ever had in the States, and tastes better than the Mexican food I've had in Mexico. I drive from downtown Chattanooga to eat there for lunch 2-3 times a week and have never been disappointed. The carnitas taco and carne asada tostada along with a basket of made fresh when you order chips is my regular order. The burritos are also great as well as the blackened tilapia fish tacos. Prices are low, and the owner and staff are great! The also have 4 aqua frescas (fruity type drink) that are made fresh daily. The salsa in the salsa bar located in the center of the restaurant is made fresh daily as well, with no canned tomatoes. Definitely a must for anyone living in, or visiting Chattanooga.

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
        RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 02/20/08 5:02 PM (permalink)
        Blackened tilapia fish tacos? I think I hear them calling my name..... and, I can be there in a mere 35 minutes.

speechpeach

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 02/24/08 9:51 AM (permalink)
          I ate lunch at Taco Roc yesterday, the tilapia taco was good, as were the 2 flavors of aqua fresca that I drank. I will return and try some of the other menu items. I did not think that it was cheap, the fish tacos had no beans or rice, etc. on the side and combined with 2 small drinks my bill was over 8 dollars. I really like Garcias here in Dalton, and can eat chips/salsa that are included with the meal, my entree which includes beans and rice and a drink for about 8 dollars at lunch. Taco Roc is kind of at a bad location as construction is going on around them, but some nice people let me through the traffic when I was turning left to get into the restaurant parking lot...( I have noticed that other drivers tend to take me a bit more seriously since I am driving a mid-size SUV rather than the very small car that I used to drive)

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 02/24/08 2:51 PM (permalink)
            Hey peach,

if you frequent Dalton you might want to name a few good Mexican joints. There are some great Mexican places there with such a large population, but I don't get there much anymore so I've lost touch.

speechpeach

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 02/24/08 5:03 PM (permalink)
              I will put my thinking cap on and ask a few Hispanic friends where the best Mexican restaurants are. I live in downtown Dalton, so I will post an answer to your question soon.

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 02/24/08 10:32 PM (permalink)
                I seem to recall a whole Mexican area down on Walnut St. There were some excellent places and a great grocery tienda as well.

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Wed, 02/27/08 8:01 PM (permalink)
                  There used to be, and maybe there still is, a great Mexican joint on Main and the street where Zarzour's is, near the firehouse. it was in a truck with a grill and a wondereful Mexican tienda with great Mexican cd's and dvd's as well as cowboy boots.

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 03/15/08 11:51 PM (permalink)
                    Couple of places to report on that I don't think have been discussed here, yet.
                    1) Taco Rico on Main, just down from the Choo Choo, near the firehouse. Excellent place. The people who runit are from Salvador and offer great tacos, burritos, tamales, enchiladas. I had the most wonderful papusa for $1.50 yeaterday along with fried plantains. Place was very clean and well run. The people don't speak english so I pointed on the menu as to what I wanted.

2) Had lunch as well at Zarzour's. It's within walking distance from Taco Rico. Place hasn't changed. Same great wall hangings, and sayings, and pictures on the walls. Same menu as well. One of the better roadfood joints around.

3) Had breakfast this a.m. at Bluegrass Grill, also on Main St. in the same neighborhood. This is my 2nd stop for breakfast and this place is simply awesome. Family owned and operated and the food is excellent. Omelets, homemade bread, pancakes, grits, etc.

4) Dinner last night at Provino's. Neat old Italian place that is always busy. I had quite an excellent Chicken Marsala.

Chattanooga has so many excellent roadfood type places. I'd actually like to hear about some upscale establishments.

johnreed

• Total Posts: 58
                      RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 03/16/08 1:21 AM (permalink)
                      The first 3 on your list are some of my favorites, also. Bluegrass Grill really rocks for breakfast. I'm usually there every Saturday, but didn't go today. Sorry I missed you!

If you want upscale, it would be tough to beat St. John's Restaurant/Meeting place. Formerly a fleabag hotel (flophouse), St. John's epitomizes fine dining. Trust me on this. Very close to Bluegrass Grill and Zarzour's, a brief walk north from the Choo-Choo.

St. John's Restaurant | Meeting Place
                      1278 Market Street
                      Chattanooga, TN 37402
                      423-266-4400
                      Monday-Thursday 5:00-9:30 PM
                      Friday-Saturday 5:00-10:00 PM
                      http://www.stjohnsrestaurant.com/

Another great choice is 212 Market, just South of the Market St. Bridge and within walking distance of the aquarium. Easy to find, because the address is the restaurant's name!

212 Market
                      212 Market Street
                      Chattanooga, TN 37402
                      423-265-1212
                      Lunch:
                      Monday-Friday 11:00am-3:00pm
                      Saturday-Sunday 11:30am-3:00pm
                      Dinner:
                      Monday-Thursday 5:00pm-9:30pm
                      Friday-Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm
                      Sunday 5:00pm-9:00pm
                      http://www.212market.com/

Any restaurant in Bluff View Art District: Tony's, Back Inn Cafe, Rembrandt's. http://www.bluffviewartdistrict.com/

I hope this is helpful. At least it's a start, right? If you've already tried them, I'll come up with something else. By the way, did you try Neidlov's Breadworks? It's located just between Taco Rico and Bluegrass Grill on the same side of the street. http://www.niedlovs.com/

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1933
                        RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 03/16/08 8:34 AM (permalink)
                        Earl of Sandwich, you visited some good ones.

Regarding upscale, here's my contribution. Not far from Zarzour's neighborhood, and they're open for lunch and dinner.

Niko’s Southside Grill
                        1400 Cowart Street. Chattanooga, TN 37408
                        (423) 266-9211
                        http://www.nikossouthside.com/

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 03/16/08 8:53 AM (permalink)
                          Hey guys,

thanks for the suggestions; I will definitely be checking them out.

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 03/16/08 8:58 AM (permalink)
                            Any recommendations for any joints just across the state line in north GA?

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 03/16/08 9:11 AM (permalink)
                              Oh, how forgetful! I'm losin' it! Just 25 miles northeast of Chattanooga in Cleveland, this is a must stop for upscale dining:

Bald Headed Bistro
                              201 Keith Street SW
                              Cleveland, TN 37311
                              (423)472-6000
                              http://www.baldheadedbistro.com/

Earl, what type of restaurants are you interested in across the state line?

sammur

• Total Posts: 138
                                RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 03/16/08 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                Thanks, all, for great suggestions. I've put them in my black book and will definitely use them.

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 03/16/08 4:28 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by MellowRoast

Oh, how forgetful! I'm losin' it! Just 25 miles northeast of Chattanooga in Cleveland, this is a must stop for upscale dining:

Bald Headed Bistro
                                  201 Keith Street SW
                                  Cleveland, TN 37311
                                  (423)472-6000

Roadfood places of course. I don't recall any mention of any places in Ringgold, or Flintstone, or Ft Oglethorpe, etc.

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sun, 03/16/08 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

Bald Headed Bistro
                                    201 Keith Street SW
                                    Cleveland, TN 37311
                                    (423)472-6000

I'm going to Cleveland this, but Cleveland, OH, not TN.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 03/21/08 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                      Earl, I don't know a lot about Roadfood-style places in NW Georgia, but I can recommend Canyon Grill in Rising Fawn, which is decidedly upscale. Have you been there?

http://www.canyongrill.com/

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                        RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 03/21/08 10:46 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Earl of Sandwich

Any recommendations for any joints just across the state line in north GA?

Chattanooga just might become part of Georgia.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/feb/08/east-ridge-chattanooga-become-part-georgia/

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 03/21/08 11:11 PM (permalink)
                                          Georgia's efforts will be as successful as Vermont's secession movement.

Several years ago, Georgia tried the same thing with South Carolina and lost in the Supreme Court.

Such a waste of time and money. They've got The Varsity. What more could you want?

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 03/22/08 12:26 AM (permalink)

Earl, I don't know a lot about Roadfood-style places in NW Georgia, but I can recommend Canyon Grill in Rising Fawn, which is decidedly upscale. Have you been there?

http://www.canyongrill.com/

No, I've not been there but I'd like to look into it. Sounds like a neat place.

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 03/22/08 12:28 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:

Georgia's efforts will be as successful as Vermont's secession movement.

Several years ago, Georgia tried the same thing with South Carolina and lost in the Supreme Court.

Such a waste of time and money. They've got The Varsity. What more could you want?

Dade county GA did secede before the rest of GA did. It did not re-join the Union until July 4, 1945

TINA D

• Total Posts: 1
                                                RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 04/5/08 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                                My favorite is a cute little trendy restaurant called "THE BIG TABLE" , just off Signal Mtn. Blvd (turn beside the dry cleaner). It is owned and operated by an executive chef and his wife. Go after 5 for dinner, you will not be disappointed! You can order anything on the menu and it will be delicious!!! He makes everything fresh daily, nothing canned. Also, don't miss desert. The wife makes them herself and they are all fabulous. If you are very lucky, you will be there on a day she made her fresh strawberry pie, coconut pie or warm chocolate chess pie, UUMM.

I also like Hiroshi's on Main Street. This is a neat sushi spot, but they also have delicious "cooked" selections.

Both of these are wonderful and great alternatives to the cookie cutter chain restaurants with boring menus that all taste the same. Enjoy!

southpaw

• Total Posts: 105
                                                  RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Sat, 04/5/08 12:17 PM (permalink)
                                                  The last time I was in the 'nooga we ate at TUBBY'S.

I had the REAL BURGER with fries and a fried pickle. I can't wait to go back! A Roadfood joint for sure!

Earl of Sandwich

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 04/11/08 1:13 AM (permalink)
                                                    Last weekend in April be sure to visit the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg, TN. www.nationalcornbread.com
                                                    Good music & foodand a 5K race. Hope the weather cooperates, should be some fun.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                                      RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 04/11/08 1:44 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Bald Headed Bistro
                                                      201 Keith Street SW
                                                      Cleveland, TN 37311
                                                      (423)472-6000

MellowRoast,
                                                      Oh, my stars!! When, oh, when did Cleveland, Tennessee finally vote wet? -- The last time I was there, you could only buy beer in the city; you had to drive to the Hamilton County line for a bottle of wine or liquor.
                                                      I am amazed. The town must be growing, or else The Cleveland Banner sure did a good job of selling people on the idea!
                                                      Flabbergastedly, Ort. Carlton in Nearby Athens, Georgia.

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 04/11/08 4:44 AM (permalink)
                                                        That's a good question! I left the area for nearly 20 years, so I'm sure Cleveland voted wet during that period.

(Yes, lots going on in Cleveland. There's a lot of big money residing in that little town. Big.)

acmalcolm

• Total Posts: 36
                                                          • Location: Nantucket, MA
                                                          RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 04/11/08 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                                          I'm looking for a quick evening meal in Chattanooga after a days journey from NOLA and a few BBQ stops.Is Nikki's Drive-in a good choice?Are there items on the menu that they are particularly known for.Perhaps some other suggestions.I'll be staying downtown and would prefer not to be too far away for food.Thanks

MellowRoast

RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? Fri, 04/11/08 10:13 AM (permalink)
                                                            Nikki's Drive-Inn reminds me of the type eatery you would have found most anywhere along Route 66 during the day.

Nikki's has particularly good fried shrimp (their specialty), fried chicken, and fried, bacon-wrapped chicken livers. The onion rings are world-class, in my opinion.

The menu is pretty extensive, but those are stand-out items. Forget their hamburger, though.

For breakfast, it's the Bluegrass Grill at 55 E. Main.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 8 of 14, messages 211 to 240 of 393

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com