Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 14
Author
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/11 22:55:40 (permalink)
Bluegrass Grill excellent for lunch as well. But, if you're in Chattanooga, you should try Zarzour's, or Taco Rico, all within walking distance of Bluegrass Grill.
If you don't mind cigarette smoke, go to the Pickle Barrel downtown.
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/12 02:03:51 (permalink)
Hi, Earl! I didn't mentioned Zarzour's or Bluegrass because they both close at 2:00, but they would be top daytime choices. And I agree on Taco Rico.

Regarding Nikki's, my "during the day" should have been "back in the day".

By the way, I notice Zarzour's landed a spot in the new Hamburger America book. Wonder if they're on the DVD, also.
acmalcolm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/12 09:07:09 (permalink)
Thanks for the info MellowRoast.It looks like fried shrimp and rings at Nikki's,with a stop at Zarzour's if I ever find myself in town for lunch.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/12 15:38:20 (permalink)
There's a new place I just heard about and hope to look into at the end of the month. It's called the Yellow Deli near UTC campus. Apparently quite interesting with good food and quite a "history" attached to it. If anyone goes there in the near future please report.
MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/12 17:56:59 (permalink)
Earl, are you certain Yellow Deli is open? I've been waiting for about 2 years for an opening date. They've been working on the building since about August '07!

I can tell you this. Yellow Deli holds a lot of memories for boomers in the '70s. I was a regular at what I believe was the original location on Brainerd Road. My memory is of excellent steamed sandwiches, their signature carrot cake, and wonderful papaya juice.

Oh, my gosh. You're right, they're open! http://www.yellowdeli.com/

This will be a huge trip down memory lane for many, including me.

Thanks for the tip.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/13 07:38:30 (permalink)
M R, I'm anxious to go there as well. Please give us a review after your visit. My son in law said it was excellent.
MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/16 08:10:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bbires

The Taco truck, or perhaps trucks, are in at least two locations on Main St. I still haven't tried the tongue taco.

By the way, Sportsmen's Barbecue over by Baylor has closed and been replaced by Chattanooga BBQ, I think. Has anyone been there?

Yes, I had lunch last week at 'Nooga Q Smokehouse and Grille on Signal Mountain Boulevard (formerly Sportsmans). Nothing really bad to report, and the service was very friendly and attentive.

I had the barbecue sampler with ribs, pulled pork, pulled chicken, Texas toast, and two sides (white beans and cole slaw).

The ribs: well seasoned, lightly sauced and not swimming in it. Very good flavor, but I would have gone lighter on the smoke.

The chicken and pork had good flavor, but the texture suggested they had been refrigerated and reheated. I trust this was a fluke.

The white beans were fair and the cole slaw was loaded with mayo. No crunch. I would have ordered potato salad, but they admitted it was from a foodservice tub.

I found the portions quite generous.

However, I believe the best ribs in the area are still at Sticky's and Sugar's. And the best pork sandwich I've ever eaten in the USA is at Petunia's Silver Jalapeno, just a couple of doors up from 'Nooga Q. I also recommend Petunia's smoked brisket chili.

If Petunia's ever starts serving ribs or brisket, look out.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/16 23:11:07 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
When in Chattanooga, stock up on Double Cola! (They have a Diet version as well for those of us who cannot eat sugar.)
Softly Notdrinking, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Effervescent Athens, Georgia.
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/19 15:24:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
When in Chattanooga, stock up on Double Cola! (They have a Diet version as well for those of us who cannot eat sugar.)
Softly Notdrinking, Ort. Carlton in Ever-Effervescent Athens, Georgia.

When was the last time you tried Ort? In mid-90's, I used to drive to the Double Cola bottling plant. It was a big red brick building, near Lookout Mountain. I would buy cases of the 20oz (IIRC) glass bottles right off the dock.

Then the drink seemed to disappear overnight. I was told the plant closed, and indeed a trip to it showed it vacant. I was told that Coke had basically run them out of business, by giving retailers an "us or them" choice.

By the late 90's, Double Cola was back via the internet (cans only), but the original plant was now a warehouse for some other company, NOT Double Cola.

Has something changed Ort. I was there not too long ago, and didn't see any...

Do you miss Athen's "Budwine"---I do... Good memories of times with grandpa
ULVER
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/19 15:36:08 (permalink)
MellowRoast:

I see you are in Chattanooga. How long? I have been trying to get information on The King's Lodge motel, that sits on the bluffs, off of West Side Drive.

I used to stay there for ages, due to it's wonderful view of the city at night. It used to be top-notch. The last few years it has become a dump, and even made a couple episodes of COPS. My last stay they raided a room being used as a meth lab, and I found that the entire ice machine had been stolen right out of the wall!

I am thinking the motel was built in the mid-60's, but have always wondered. Any thoughts

Also, back in the day, it had a restaurant on the premises, that was quite popular. I was told that the Lynyrd Skynyrd band used to make it a point to visit it for hot wings. Then, they would retreat to a lounge across the street from the motel for adult beverages.

I am told the motel restaurant is now a rib joint. The lounge across the street is still there. Somewhat frozen in the 1970's. I wish I could recall the name. Any help there

Thanks!
MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/19 16:34:04 (permalink)
Ulver, I don't recall when King's Lodge motel was built, but it's heyday was during the '70s (and perhaps '80s) when The Pancake Man restaurant was open. Never ate there, but heard a lot about it.

It's no longer King's Lodge and it's a dump, but Sugar's Ribs has replaced The Pancake Man. Excellent ribs, about 5 homemade sauces, and a breathtaking view of the city. The side dishes (potato salad, Texas pintos, cole slaw) are unremarkable. However, they have some "fancy" side likes roasted corn and grilled okra that are $2.25 currently. But when I start paying that kind of money for side dishes, commit me to Moccasin Bend.

The restaurant is owned by the same couple who operate Canyon Grill and The Boathouse.

http://www.sugarsribs.com/
http://canyongrill.com/
http://www.boathousechattanooga.com/

I do recommend the ribs at both Sugar's and Sticky Fingers.

Yes, Westside Grill is across the street from the old King's Lodge. Formerly a private club, I believe it's open to the public now.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/19 16:47:02 (permalink)
I stayed at the Kings lodge several times back in the 70's and it was super then but obviously it has gone downhill mega since then.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/19 18:15:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ULVER
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
... When in Chattanooga, stock up on Double Cola! (They have a Diet version as well for those of us who cannot eat sugar.)
When was the last time you tried Ort? In mid-90's, I used to drive to the Double Cola bottling plant. It was a big red brick building, near Lookout Mountain. I would buy cases of the 20oz (IIRC) glass bottles right off the dock.
Then the drink seemed to disappear overnight. I was told the plant closed, and indeed a trip to it showed it vacant. I was told that Coke had basically run them out of business, by giving retailers an "us or them" choice.
By the late 90's, Double Cola was back via the internet (cans only), but the original plant was now a warehouse for some other company, NOT Double Cola.
Has something changed Ort. I was there not too long ago, and didn't see any...
Do you miss Athen's "Budwine"---I do... Good memories of times with grandpa

Ulver,
Glad to hear from you!
Yes, the Chattanooga Coca-Cola Bottling Company (apparently an independently-owned operation) gave retailers that "us or them" option, which I think was blatantly a violation of Fair Trade laws (although an ultra-hardline libertarian friend says "More power to 'em... they're just being CAPITALIST!"). As a result, Double Cola has been relegated to mom-and-pop stores instead of chain supermarkets... there's a place out on Hixson Poke that actually advertises "We will always stock Double Cola products!!" (They actually gave up the entire Coke line over the issue, and business hasn't suffered. This is a large drive-in beer-and-soda store.)
It's being canned by an independent somewhere in their vicinity; it has to be because it still shows up in Dalton and Rome fairly frequently (the Georgia Coca-Cola bottlers never issued such a caveat as did the Chattanooga one).
When you find some, let me know.
As for Budwine, that went down when Southern Beverage in Augusta went out of business (due to a nasty divorce, I am told)... they held the rights to the formula. I understand that the rights to it were also held by Fairchild Brothers Canada-Dry Bottlers in Thomasville, Georgia, so anything is possible... if gasoline ever goes below $3 a gallon, I want to motor down there and inquire about that very thing, because I miss it something fierce myself.
If I had the money, I'd find a legal way to acquire the formula, change it just a whet to make it an "original" product, copyright and trademark it, and re-market the stuff under the name of "Athens' Original Cherry Soda." -- Gee, that might actually be worth pursuing -- the Costa family, who owned Budwine, now operate a dry cleaners! Of course those amazing hobble-skirted bottles could never be replaced, anymore than Mr. Heinie (their syrup mixer) could be. Let me give this idea some more thought....
Thank you for reminding and challenging me.
Fizzically, Sometimes-Stagnant Ort. Carlton in Usually-Effervescent Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Who was your grandpa? I might have known him.
MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/19 19:22:57 (permalink)
Well, good ol' MellowRoast must eat crow on at least one point.

I drove by the old King's Lodge after my reply to Ulver, and guess what? It's apparently still King's Lodge and they're advertising $34.99 rooms.

However, I really do believe the King's Lodge signs came down for a while. My history on that complex may not be totally accurate because I was gone for about 20 years. The decline of King's Lodge and the vaporization of The Pancake Man occurred during those years.

Adjacent to the motel is an apartment complex, and I'm not sure whether it was constructed as an expansion to King's Lodge.

I know a lot of people miss The Pancake Man, though. I believe there was a location in either Sevierville or Gatlinburg, too.
scyscyscy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/19 21:41:33 (permalink)
When I was in college in Chattanooga, Pancake Man became the Friday night must-do for a group of about 20-30 of us. I'm sure we drove the elderly waitresses mad, but we always ordered a lot and tipped well. We were usually the only people in the place after 10:00, and for a few months in 1990-91, the Pancake Man was the hippest place in town!
ULVER
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/21 01:17:34 (permalink)
Ort.Carlton:

Grandpa would approve of your quest for Budwine! He was a moonshiner from Rabun, Co. GA., who later moved to Atlanta, to work at the Fulton Bag Mill. I am a "Cabbagetown kid" , and still own his original home there. My, is it changing!

MellowRoast:

Thanks for the link to the rib joint, next to the King's Lodge. LOL! What's with the goats!!! Great pictures, that brought back a lot of memories of the view.

scyscyscy:

Ah, the "Pancake Man"---90/91 was about the time I, too, remember it rockin'!

This is a great thread!!! Been a blessing to me! Thanks!
MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/21 06:04:41 (permalink)
Ulver, the crazy goats were hired to eat the kudzu on the city-owned portion of Missionary Ridge. You're right, it's a riot.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/05/europe/goats.php
MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/24 07:26:19 (permalink)
Now I need some Chattanooga suggestions.

I've read all these posts about great hot dog carts across the country, but I can't find a great dog in Chattanooga (after 10 years of trying). When I want a great hot dog, I drive to The Varsity in Atlanta or to a couple of places in Birmingham.

I'm looking for a terrific frank (preferably beef or kosher beef) on a steamed bun with homemade, beanless chili and homemade slaw. If it can't be eaten in a stadium seat, it ain't a hot dog. None of this knife & fork procedure for me.

Can anyone help me find one in my own hometown? Thanks in advance for any help!

MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/24 19:55:31 (permalink)
Earl of Sandwich:

Just got back from The Yellow Deli. It is a "must visit". As I walked in, I was overwhelmed with a flood of '70s memories. I've really missed "Yellow" over the years.

I had the Deli Rose sandwich (roast beef, corned beef, hot pepper and Provolone cheeses, onion, tomato, and special sauce on homemade onion roll) and it was excellent. Steaming hot and delicious. The breads are made on premises. The pickle was excellent, looked homemade, but the server said he didn't think it was homemade.

This place screams "ambiance"; very rustic, earthy, and the spectacular hand-painted wall mural is mesmerizing. The deli is spotlessly clean, and they boast a juice bar, smoothie bar, and coffee bar. You have a choice of ground floor, loft, or patio dining.

Had a glass of papaya juice, too, just like I remember. Next time I'll have two.

I think you'll like it.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/25 12:42:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MellowRoast

Earl of Sandwich:

Just got back from The Yellow Deli. It is a "must visit". As I walked in, I was overwhelmed with a flood of '70s memories. I've really missed "Yellow" over the years.

I had the Deli Rose sandwich (roast beef, corned beef, hot pepper and Provolone cheeses, onion, tomato, and special sauce on homemade onion roll) and it was excellent. Steaming hot and delicious. The breads are made on premises. The pickle was excellent, looked homemade, but the server said he didn't think it was homemade.

This place screams "ambiance"; very rustic, earthy, and the spectacular hand-painted wall mural is mesmerizing. The deli is spotlessly clean, and they boast a juice bar, smoothie bar, and coffee bar. You have a choice of ground floor, loft, or patio dining.

Had a glass of papaya juice, too, just like I remember. Next time I'll have two.

I think you'll like it.

Thanks, MW. I heading to Chattanooga this afternoon for most of the weekend. I'll be at the Cornbread Fest tomorrow but I am definitely going to the Yellow Deli as well. I appreciate your enthusiastic report about it and can't wait to check it out myself.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/25 12:44:17 (permalink)
quote:

Now I need some Chattanooga suggestions.

I've read all these posts about great hot dog carts across the country, but I can't find a great dog in Chattanooga (after 10 years of trying). When I want a great hot dog, I drive to The Varsity in Atlanta or to a couple of places in Birmingham.

I'm looking for a terrific frank (preferably beef or kosher beef) on a steamed bun with homemade, beanless chili and homemade slaw. If it can't be eaten in a stadium seat, it ain't a hot dog. None of this knife & fork procedure for me.

Can anyone help me find one in my own hometown? Thanks in advance for any help!

Come to think of it the only hot dog place I can think of is Griffin's, of which there are at least a couple locations. I've seen other places advertising "Weiner Plates". Hmm.? I've not been tempted to find out what a weiner plate is.
MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/25 13:10:48 (permalink)
Earl of Sandwich:

Thank you for the response, but I crossed Griffin's off my list years ago. No homemade chili or slaw (all foodservice), and their weiners are a disconcerting bright red. That (coupled with its address on "Cemetary Avenue") sends me sprinting in the opposite direction.

However, they do have an excellent homemade relish that I would love to put on a great dog!

Re: Weiner plates

That may be a uniquely 'Nooga food item and it's quite good, depending on the establishment. Sometimes referred to as a "chopped weiner plate", its simply sliced franks smothered in chili and topped with mustard, relish, and cole slaw (perhaps oyster crackers). I make them at home all the time.
MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/25 15:58:24 (permalink)
Earl of Sandwich: D'oh! I forgot to mention Yellow is closed from 5:00 p.m. Friday to 5:00 p.m. Sunday to observe the Sabbath. I hope you get this message before your trip!
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/04/27 21:04:45 (permalink)
MellowRoast, yeah, I did not make it in to to Yellow Deli. I'll just catch it my next visit to Nooga. Had a wonderful weekend though. Ate at The Boathouse Fri night. I'd always wanted to go there but my first visit. thought it was a fun place, good food and well done. Went to the Lookouts game and had a ball.
The Cornbread Fest was a treat as well. I ran the 5 k, but the food and entertainment was topnotch. I 'd wanted to go through The Lodge factory but just didn't set aside the time.
Had a great weekend and look forward to next visit.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/05/01 04:12:18 (permalink)
Anybody been to Tubby's ?
southpaw
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/05/01 06:34:53 (permalink)
I was in the 'Nooga last month and ate at TUBBY's.
I had the REAL BURGER, fries and a fried pickle. It was good and it was cheap and I would go back.

Boop333
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/05/01 07:44:17 (permalink)
quote:

Well, good ol' MellowRoast must eat crow on at least one point.

I drove by the old King's Lodge after my reply to Ulver, and guess what? It's apparently still King's Lodge and they're advertising $34.99 rooms.

The past few times I drove through there, the sign read "King's Log"....the d and e were burned out. It's become a family traveling joke for us now, we always call my sister (she lives in ATL) and let her know that we're driving past the King's Log to time where we are
wrfc5
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/05/18 22:18:04 (permalink)
I found a great place in Chattanooga just yesterday (I am not a local, in fact this was my first visit to the city). I happened upon a hole-n-the-wall place called "Memo's", the sign for which advertised BBQ and "Chopped Weiner" sandwiches.

I had to stop, of course. This restaurant served excellent fare, and was a classic roadfood joint--very nice to strangers, a decor right out of the 50's, and a regular crowd of neighborhood patrons who shared local gossip as they waited for their food.

The BBQ was excellent--very tender. The chopped weiner was (of course) a hot dog, chopped up in a bun, covered with chili and slaw. It was fine.

I couldn't tell you how to get there--I was lost. Perhaps someone with local knowledge can tell me where this was located, as if I'm in the neighborhood again it would be worth a second visit.
MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/05/18 22:46:01 (permalink)
Heck, I thought Memo's was out of business, but I guess I was wrong. They're only open 3 or 4 days a week. Better than banker's hours.

It's about 2 blocks East of Bessie Smith Hall, and on the same side of the street.

Take the MLK exit off the downtown freeway, head East past the Krystal Building, and you can't miss it on the right.

Memo's Grill
430 E Martin Luther King Blvd
Chattanooga, TN 37403
423-267-7283
MellowRoast
RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2008/06/03 10:31:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bbires

Yellow Deli is essentially a cult. They're positioned right around UTC to lure emotionally-weakened students. And their attitudes towards women belong more in the less-enlightened areas of the Middle East. But, if you can ignore all that in search of a sandwich, go for it, I guess.

I must respectfully disagree with the off-topic assertion of cultism, but peaceful disagreement is what this country is all about. I was hoping this wouldn't even come up, because it's so unnecessary.

While they are a communal religious group, they don't meet the litmus test of a cult. In fact, their homes are open to the public for unannounced visitation.

Are their beliefs strange? To me, yes. Are they fantatic about their beliefs? Possibly. Perhaps even as fanatic as so many of their detractors. Yet I can't find a law in this country that prohibits strangness or fanaticism -- on either side.

The new deli is busy 24 hours a day with customers of all ages (yes, including TV's beloved Miss Marcia) because they are meeting a void in the market. They serve outstanding sandwiches, offer attentive and respectful service with enthusiasm, and provide an incredibly comfortable atmosphere. The earthy, rustic decor was nearly all built, carved, or painted by hand, and it's extraordinary.

The sandwiches (on homemade breads and rolls) are to die for and their Friday beef & lentil stew is the best thing I've ever had in a bowl.

Please excuse my off-topic reply, but like The Four Tops, I couldn't help myself. If we can just talk about the food, though, that would be great.

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 14
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1