Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 14
Author
ULVER
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
2004/02/26 17:13:33 (permalink)

Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN?

Any favorite places to eat in Chattanooga? I love the Big River Grille brewpub! The meatloaf and grilled veggies, along with garlic mashed potatoes, makes me smile!

Thanks for thoughts and suggestions...

392 Replies Related Threads

CuRoi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2004/03/03 13:56:46 (permalink)
    I'm sorry nobody has come up with a suggestion yet, because my wife and I are going to spend two nights in Chattanooga later this spring. I already had the Big River Grille on my list, but I doubt that I could persuade her to go to the same brewpub for dinner two nights running.

Does anyone know anything about the Old Plantation Barbecue at 1515 Dodson Ave.? I found one or two good notices on the web, but there didn't seem to be any one barbecue place in Chattanooga that everybody was wild about.

CuRoi
    gramreid
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2004/03/04 05:45:26 (permalink)
    Going to Pensacola,Fla from upstate NY need some good places along the route ofI-81S to I40 toI75S toI24S toI59 to I 65toUS31to US20to SR87to US90??
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2004/03/04 06:14:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CuRoi

Does anyone know anything about the Old Plantation Barbecue at 1515 Dodson Ave.? I found one or two good notices on the web, but there didn't seem to be any one barbecue place in Chattanooga that everybody was wild about.

CuRoi

Waycrazy's up on Signal Mountain is or was famous for its baby back ribs. Just a few years ago, they were immensely popular with knowledgeable bbq types in and beyond Chattanooga. I loved the place. Not long ago, I tried to run down some reviews online and came up empty. I have a feeling Waycrazy's might have sold and has a new name. However, I didn't do a thorough Dick Tracy investigation.

This place was good enough to warrant your looking into the situation. Even if they sold, they may still be a grand destination for wonderful bbq ribs in a great setting. The restaurant was/is housed in an elegant hewn log building at the top of the mountain. It's a nice area to visit or walk around in.
    CuRoi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2004/03/09 15:16:01 (permalink)
    I just Googled, and although one of the items I found was the founder's obituary (in 2001), the restaurant still appears to be doing business under the same name. The most recent mention was in a Signal Mountain PTA newsletter, where Waycrazy's was mentioned as one of only two businesses that would be affected by a proposed sales tax increase. This was dated late in January, only a few weeks ago. There seem to be two Waycrazy's, one in or near Soddy Daisy, but the Signal Mountain one (3270 Taft Hwy, aka Rtes 8 and 127) is still there. From what you say about the location, I think it would be fun to try, whether or not it serves the best BBQ around. (The best might be wasted on a couple of Yankees anyway.) Also, Microsoft Streets & Trips knows where it is.

Since the PTA president said that the tax increase would only add 5¢ to the cost of a $10 dinner, I don't think I'll let that hold me back.

Thanks for the recommendation.

CuRoi
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2004/03/09 15:39:51 (permalink)
    A few other places you may want to try are Thai Smile 3, St. John, and Sticky Fingers... I don't have first hand knowledge of these, but have had good reports, especially on Thai Smile 3...
    dingdong605
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2004/03/14 01:32:12 (permalink)
    I happen to frequent Chattanooga quite often, and know quite a bit about the food scene--my favorites being Sticky Fingers, Rib and Loin, and Lupi's Pizza.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2004/07/12 18:33:29 (permalink)
    Chattanooga has some excellent eateries and have already been mentioned. If you care to drive to Exit 11 on I-75 in Ooltewah there are 2 fantastic roadfood discoveries to make. One is The Kreme House. I think my favorite roadfood establishment. The other requires a right turn at the Burger King about 2 miles to Young's BBQ. Worth the drive!!

Carl Reitz
    Knoxville, TN
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2004/09/19 17:23:50 (permalink)
    Big River Grille downtown, by the aquarium.

carl reitz
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/08 00:13:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dingdong605

I happen to frequent Chattanooga quite often, and know quite a bit about the food scene--my favorites being Sticky Fingers, Rib and Loin, and Lupi's Pizza.
    You are right on about Lupi's Pizza. One of my favorite pizza places. Pizzas are outstanding, along with calzones, but the atmosphere is so unique and fun. Even the individual tables are decorated.
    I've been to Rib & Loin several times, a nice basic place and good Q, I'm just not turned on by the atmosphere. Sticky Fingers I have not been to. Right next to it is Taco Mac which is quite good.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/09 11:35:31 (permalink)
    Someone told me about a place when I was in Chattanooga called, Bea's on Dodds Ave. Unfortunately it is closed on Mon & Tues and I had to leave for home today before the 11 a.m. opening. I've just done a search and apparently a few people from Roadfood have been there. I can hardly wait to go back and try it out. Looks like a neat cozy little restaurant on the outside. Apparently food is served on lazy susans kind of home style and you eat what is presented on the table. My kind of place.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/09 11:49:08 (permalink)
    I decided to have lunch yesterday at Zarzour's, in Chattanooga. How many restaurants can you think where there is a metal image of Santa Claus and Geronimo on the same wall, less that 6 feet apart?
    I've been working in Chattanooga for the past 8 years and had been driving less than a block from this place all this time and never knew about it. There were 7 tables in the front of the place, along with a set of about 4 bar stools, the kind that swivel. I ordered a burger and fries. The cook dipper her big paw into a large tupperware container filled with ground beef and proceeded to slap this ball of meat into a patty using her hands then dropped it onto the grill. It was just awesome.
    Everyone who came in, it's only open from 11am-2pm and it was slammed, seemed to be a friend of the staff. I love seeing that interaction.
    I had a peanut butter pie for dessert and it was wonderful!!
    Let's see, some little things I noticed: An autographed, hand written picture of the article from Gourmet magazine, signed by Samuel L. Jackson, who is from Chattanooga. This wason the same wall with Santa and just below Geronimo. The wall where I sat had tons of old b & w photos of Abe Z from the 30's and 40's.
    Also, the neatest little slogan I saw," Tipping is not a city in China".
    Can't wait to go back. I see why the Stern';s think so highly of it.

carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/09 11:54:49 (permalink)
    Incidentally, I had posted some time ago about a hot dog place in Chattanooga called Griffin's Foot Longs on the outside of town close to where Rt 153 and I-75 meet. I noticed yesterday that about a block from Zarzour's is the original Griffin's, on Main St. I've seen it for years and have been tempted but even my sense of adventure could not conquer my fear of the condom shop right next door to it and the kind of gritty neighborhood.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/09 14:49:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ULVER

Any favorite places to eat in Chattanooga? I love the Big River Grille brewpub! The meatloaf and grilled veggies, along with garlic mashed potatoes, makes me smile!

Thanks for thoughts and suggestions...

My daughter has been a waitress at this restaurant for past 3 years
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/09 16:45:48 (permalink)
    Bea's (or Aunt Bea's) as we call it was always a good roadfood place, where you sit at large tables and a lazy susan in the middle moves the selections around. We visited last year on a Sunday afternoon and it seemed that the quality was down a bit. It too, is in a seedy neighborhood. Zarzours is the place to go for me in Chatt. now
    gbacounselor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/10 11:50:46 (permalink)
    While you are spending time in the downtown area, you definitely need to go up to the Bluff View Arts District. There are several nice restaurants there- a little "pricey," though. Rembrandt's Coffee House has delicious coffees and chocolates.

Bea's has been a Chattanooga institution for about 50 years, and very little has been done to the place in that time. It is in a run-down neighborhood, but so are Zarzour's and the original Griffin's Foot Long Hotdogs. On any given day, you could see the mayor at or near the same table as the guy working on a construction site. The menu never changes, but the fried chicken is still some of the best in town.

Enjoy your time in Chattanooga...it's a great town!
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/10 15:01:32 (permalink)
    First, where did you get great fried chicken? Bea's? I love the art district and have been to the museum and rembrandt's. it's fantastic and I especially like the outdoor courtyard eating.
    Chattanooga is the most underrated and unpublicized southern cities.
    The downtown is filled with roadfood establishments.
    As for Zarzour's, it appeared to me that parts of the menu changed daily, as they had daily lunch specials.
    BTW, in my eartlier post about this phenomenal place I forgot to mention the little pie shaped wedges of cornbread they serve as an appetizer. Man, they were the best cornbread I had ever had.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/10 15:52:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gbacounselor

While you are spending time in the downtown area, you definitely need to go up to the Bluff View Arts District. There are several nice restaurants there- a little "pricey," though. Rembrandt's Coffee House has delicious coffees and chocolates.

Bea's has been a Chattanooga institution for about 50 years, and very little has been done to the place in that time. It is in a run-down neighborhood, but so are Zarzour's and the original Griffin's Foot Long Hotdogs. On any given day, you could see the mayor at or near the same table as the guy working on a construction site. The menu never changes, but the fried chicken is still some of the best in town.

Enjoy your time in Chattanooga...it's a great town!

Food Channel just did a seg on Bluff View Arts district. I believe it was Rachel Ray. I think it was a $40 a day. I want to do that ASAP.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/10 15:59:32 (permalink)
    There's a wonderful, can't think of the name of it, Italian restaurant in the Arts District that I always take my daughter to. I think I heard that Riverfront park which should start right around the Bluff is about to open soon and should be fantastic. I'd also suggest a walk across the walking bridge becuae of the views and the historic markers along the way. Across the bridge in Coolidge Park is a number of funky shops and restaurants to browse. There's an excellent deli there, a dog/cat bakery across the street, etc.
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/10 17:40:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Incidentally, I had posted some time ago about a hot dog place in Chattanooga called Griffin's Foot Longs on the outside of town close to where Rt 153 and I-75 meet. I noticed yesterday that about a block from Zarzour's is the original Griffin's, on Main St. I've seen it for years and have been tempted but even my sense of adventure could not conquer my fear of the condom shop right next door to it and the kind of gritty neighborhood.

I was just curious, if I could get a sense of location of Zarzour's and Griffin's. I know the basic East Ridge area. I have stayed at the King's Lodge many times. I must say, that that place has REALLY fallen into disrepair. There's still a tavern across the street, that remains a time-warp to the 60's, early 70's. I saw quite a few "regulars" ordering what seemed like decent roadfood. I just popped in for a beer. I'm pretty well versed with the downtown area. I've also ventured to the Bluff area. A favorite there is Dirty Nellie's. I know the area around Lookout Mountain. I used to stop in at the Double Cola plant, to pick up their drink in classic, old glass bottles.

Is Zarzour's and Griffin's in any of those general areas? Chattanooga's dowtown district (near Big River) and the Bluff area seem very safe and inviting. East Ridge seems decent. But a lot of outlying Chattanooga seems pretty rough. Still, a city that retains it's southern feel, where my Atlanta is losing it.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/10 17:57:18 (permalink)
    Ulver, I assumed you were a local, but still Atlanta is only 1 1/2 hours away. On your way there be sure to check out New Echota, former capitolof the Cherokee and where the Trail of Tears began. I believe around exit 317, south of Dalton.
    Zarzour's is on Rossville Ave. Easiest way to get there is to take Main St and turn on Wilhoit. You can only turn one way on Wilhoit, and it's one block to Z's. You're just a couple blocks from the Choo Choo. Griffin's is 1 block away corner of Main and I think, Market St. Ask for the condom store if you get lost. There's also 2 or 3 crack houses nearby.

You're so right about East Ridge. A truly diverse area and everything from roadfood to chains to elegant places all on the same street. Eastern European groceries and Food Lions as well.I've stayed a few times at the Holiday Inn Express.

Chattanooga has a number of roadfood type meuseums (firefighting museum and tow truck museum to name a few) but the Bessie Smith museum is a great tribute to her and black culture in the area. A must see IMO.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/11 09:29:45 (permalink)
    We found http://www.boathousechattanooga.com to be a great choice.
    Right on the river and the BEST oysters on the half shell we have had since Bowen's Island in Charleston, SC.

carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/11 09:47:20 (permalink)
    Dendan,

I've driven by this place many times but never stopped. I'm not an oyster lover for one, but I may have to give it a shot some evening down the road. Do you get to Chattanooga often?
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/11 09:53:06 (permalink)
    Wish we were closer so we could enjoy it to the fullest. Spent an anniversary weekend there. Even took a ride on a DUK.
    Oh, there is a great place for breakfast in the Arts District. Kind of a coffee place, sat outside had wonderful french toast and lots of coffee. It is right across the street from a B&B and just a half block from the Art Museum. Can't remember the name.

quote:

Dendan,

I've driven by this place many times but never stopped. I'm not an oyster lover for one, but I may have to give it a shot some evening down the road. Do you get to Chattanooga often?
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/11 14:08:57 (permalink)
    I think the place you're thinking of probably is rembrandt's Coffee House. The Arts District is a great little area for dining and shopping and small enough you can walk all of it.
    Another really excellent area for the same is across the walking bridge to Coolidge Park. In the summer there are lots of concerts, the merry-go-round/calliope and the fountains. And the little shops and eateries there are great.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/11 14:10:59 (permalink)
    That's the one!!! Great place to try again. Chattanooga has to be one the THE friendliest towns. We will go again.
    quote:

I think the place you're thinking of probably is rembrandt's Coffee House. The Arts District is a great little area for dining and shopping and small enough you can walk all of it.
    Another really excellent area for the same is across the walking bridge to Coolidge Park. In the summer there are lots of concerts, the merry-go-round/calliope and the fountains. And the little shops and eateries there are great.
    ctfrasier
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/11 20:28:38 (permalink)
    If you're looking for stuff in the downtown area try StickyFingers for ribs. Taco Mac has excellent nachos and stuff along those lines. There's also a little Thai place near the Aquarium that is good, not sure of the name. The diner at the Days Inn on Carter St. has fantastic deserts brought in daily from a local pastry shop.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/11 23:09:52 (permalink)
    You're right about Taco mac, but I'm pretty certain the Thai place you're thinking of has closed and I believe reopened elsewhere. It's too bad because I loved that Thai place.

If you're in the mood for a pizza, try Lupi's just down the street and next door to an excellent coffee shop and a fantastic used book store.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/12 15:13:00 (permalink)
    Chattanooga has a neat little thing during the summer, starting in May, called Nightfall. it's a series of Friday night concerts with top name acts that perform downtown for free. The website has not been updated yet but I'll try to post it soon as the new season is announced.

gbacounselor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Favorites in CHATTANOOGA, TN? 2005/03/12 20:57:15 (permalink)
    Carlton Pierre,

The Italian place you were trying to think of in the Arts District is probably Tony's Pastaria. Also, I realized that my previous post was a little ambiguous. The good fried chicken I was referring to WAS at Bea's. I am sure that the diverse patronage is also true at Zarzour's. I have lived in Chattanooga for many years and have never been to Zarzour's despite all the good things I've heard about it. One more thing...if I'm not mistaken, the original Griffin's FootLong Hot Dog place is at the intersection of Main and Central. It's not far from National Cemetery.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 14
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1