Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta?

Author
sherrymac
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
2008/03/30 13:47:49 (permalink)

Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta?

I love experimenting with recipes for different versions of pasta and shrimp. Anyone want to share their favourites?

12 Replies Related Threads

BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/03/30 18:58:37 (permalink)
    I love this and eat it as often as I can.

Olive oil
    Crushed garlic
    Whole wheat angel hair pasta
    Large can artichoke hearts, quartered
    1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 can rotel tomatoes, drained
    Fresh basil

Cook noodles, drain and set aside. Heat oil in skillet, add garlic and saute until light brown. Add shrimp and cook until pink. Add artichokes, rotel and fresh basil. Heat through. Serve over pasta. Top with shredded parm cheese.

seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/03/30 19:59:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BhamBabe

I love this and eat it as often as I can.

Olive oil
    Crushed garlic
    Whole wheat angel hair pasta
    Large can artichoke hearts, quartered
    1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 can rotel tomatoes, drained
    Fresh basil

Cook noodles, drain and set aside. Heat oil in skillet, add garlic and saute until light brown. Add shrimp and cook until pink. Add artichokes, rotel and fresh basil. Heat through. Serve over pasta. Top with shredded parm cheese.

WOW......Alomost the same as above except instead of angel hair I use Linguine and instead of canned tomatoes I use fresh grape tomatoes split in half......the split tomatoes contribute to the sauce. I agree with BhamBabe there is always a need for fresh basil!!!
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/03/30 22:27:40 (permalink)
    Same for me- except I roast the grape or cherry tomatoes in the oven first- really intensifies the flavor- and I never add cheese to shrimp- try toasted bread crumbs as an alternative....I just don't do seafood and dairy together.
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/03/31 08:18:28 (permalink)
    Shrimp and Linquine.
    Fresh Shrimp
    Olive Oil, Crushed Red Pepper
    fresh Parsley
    Sautee Shrimp in olive oil,red pepper till pink
    Add parley toss with Linquine that has been cooked al dente
    Add a little water from the pasta and sprinle some fresh grated cheese over and serve.
    This dish is only as good as the Shrimp you use.Make sure they are LOCAL SHRIMP.
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/04/02 13:01:24 (permalink)
    This is easy.

1) Make up a batch of your favorite red sauce ahead of time, then reheat to simmer.

2) In a saute pan with butter and olive oil, throw in minced garlic, onion and green pepper and stir until they wilt (not brown).

3) Open a can of artichoke hearts and coarsely dice. Add to garlic/onion/peppers and warm through.

4) Dump contents of saute pan into sauce. Add shrimp. Heat thoroughly.

5) Eat with spaghetti and homemade garlic bread.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/04/02 17:14:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

Shrimp and Linquine.
    Fresh Shrimp
    Olive Oil, Crushed Red Pepper
    fresh Parsley
    Sautee Shrimp in olive oil,red pepper till pink
    Add parley toss with Linquine that has been cooked al dente
    Add a little water from the pasta and sprinle some fresh grated cheese over and serve.
    This dish is only as good as the Shrimp you use.Make sure they are LOCAL SHRIMP.

Oh come on Jellybear, you know we have an unfair advantage here in Southeast NC. Sherrymac is way up there in Vermont, where can she get local shrimp. Come to think of it, I need to run over to Motts Channel to pick up some shrimp.
    sherrymac
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/04/02 19:56:20 (permalink)
    You guys are rubbing it in about the fresh shrimp, actually I live further north in Quebec. I wrote down Vermont because it's the closest state to where I live and I couldn't enter a Canadian province.
    janifer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/04/02 20:26:09 (permalink)
    This one is an artery clogger but oh so good.

Eddie's Shrimp Fettucine

1 tablespoon butter
    1 bunch green onions
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 pound peeled & deveined shrimp (large to extra large size, not jumbo or colossal)
    1 pint heavy whipping cream
    1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper (or more, or less -- start small & taste as you go)
    1 pound fettucine (the kind from the refrigerated case is better than the dry kind)
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup freshly grated (not shredded) Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Melt 1-T butter in large (nonstick) skillet over medium heat; meanwhile trim & slice the onions -- the white part thinly; the green part in 1-inch pieces. Lightly saute in the melted butter until wilted then remove to an oven-safe dish that is large enough to also hold the shrimp.

Add another 1-T butter to the skillet; when melted add the shrimp. Cook just until they are beginning to color (pink) and beginning to curl; turn onto their other side and cook just until that side begins to color. Remove & add to the dish with the green onion, place the dish in the oven, and turn off the oven. The idea is to keep the shrimp warm without overcooking them. They will cook some more when added to the sauce.

Pour the pint of cream in the same skillet and blend in the cayenne. Turn up the heat. Bring the cream to a steady boil and stir regularly until the cream has reduced to the point where you can run your finger through the sauce on the back of the stirring spoon and leave a mark. I have no time estimate for you. Sometimes I crank up the heat and stir furiously while it boils furiously and sometimes I'm in a more leisurely mood.

Stir the shrimp & green onions along with any of their exuded juices into the cream sauce.

While the cream is cooking down, boil the fettucine. You want the fettucine to be done about the time the cream is. Drain the fettucine.

Prepare a serving bowl by thinly slicing the remaining 2-T of butter over the bottom of the bowl. Add the drained fettucine & toss with the butter. Pour in the cream/shrimp mixture and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Toss everything together. I use two forks or a good pair of tongs (the mixture is slippery) to portion onto individual plates then divide among the plates the sauce & shrimp that remain in the bowl.

You'll probably want to have some crusty bread on hand for sopping up the sauce from the plate.

Overfeeds 2; feeds 4.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/04/03 11:43:34 (permalink)
    my standby shrimp and pasta dish is cajon grilled shrimp skewers over fettucini alfredo.
    I find the spicy cajon is a nice compliment to the creamy alfredo. Sometime I used spinach fettucini.
    The only "complicated" part is making the alfredo sauce.

I also found that grilling on the foreman grill produced the right cajon shrimp flavor and I could cook the shrimp perfectly.

I've also tried doing this by grilling the shrimpover coals and over mesquite wood. Bad idea. Shrimp takes on the flavor of the coals/wood. So you end up with a shrimp that taste like either cajon charcoal, or cajon mesquite wood.
    A propane grill could work too, but I found since the Foreman grill has perfect heat consistency, I had better control with the timing, making sure the shrimp were cooked but none were over cooked. On a Foreman grill, each shrimp on the skewer cooked at the exact same rate. A gas grill theoretically can do the same, but even gas grills have hot and cool spots.

The shrimp are merely rubbed with cajon seasoning and then brushed with an olive oil/butter/garlic mixture, skewered and cooked on the Foreman grill. (I find olive oil mixed with butter provides a luxuroius taste that is better than each one alone, but that's me)

place about a handful of pasta in the middle of the dish. Ladle the alfredo sauce over the top. Lay 2 skewers (3 shrimp each skewer) over the top - or arrange them to look like a two poled tepee. Sprinkle with shreded parmesan cheese and a dusting of the cajon spice (or paprika if you don't want the little smidgeon of extra heat - but it's really for color, so the extra spice shouldn't really add heat) and garnish with parsley.

There are many alfredo recipes out there. I use the one in my Italian cookbook. Unfortunately, that book is not with me at this time, so I can't give the ingredients list, but I believe it's cream, butter, parmesan cheese, garlic, white pepper and parsley.
    PapaDog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/05/05 14:32:43 (permalink)
    Eddies Shrimp Fettucine sounds so good....my mouth is watering now!
    Thanks Janifer.
    qwerty79
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/05/05 15:13:20 (permalink)
    I use this sauce recipe quite a bit because it's quick, easy and cheap. Sometimes I'll use chicken or sausage. Whatever happens to be on sale. You could use whatever spices and herbs you like. I usually don't have fresh around except near the holidays, so I use dried Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder. My cousins joke that this is Virgin Vodka Sauce! lol

Saute shrimp in olive oil with garlic. When shrimp are done, remove shrimp, and add a large can chopped tomatoes. Season to taste with salt, pepper, basil or other Italian seasonings. Sometimes I need to add a pinch of sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add shrimp back to sauce. Add heavy cream(I never measure the cream, I add enough untill it looks like a la vodka sauce). Simmer another 5 minutes and serve with whatever pasta you have on hand.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Favourite recipe for shrimp with pasta? 2008/05/05 16:11:55 (permalink)
    Shrimps in Green Sauce

Bunch Parsley
    6 scallions
    8 cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup water or white wine

Blenderize all to a smooth liquid. Pour into a pan with clean peeled raw shrimp, simmer 15 minutes till shrimp done. Add to boiled drained spaghetti. You can add cheese if you want, I don't.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1