February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/12 22:54:37 (permalink)
Well...this was indeed a day of surprises, great food and great friends!

The day began with buffetbuster and myself making the short ten minute drive to the Hominy Grill.  Arriving before opening, we perused the menu so as to be ready for action and no two soldiers were ever more ready for action.  We were the first of approximately 15 folks at the door when it opened precisely at 7:30am.  The staff was so friendly and took an interest in our table as many of the others were already deep into business discussions while buffetbuster and I were deep into the menu discussion!

We began with a slice each of the banana bread and ginger pumpkin bread.  Lightly toasted, the surprise came when we opened the jam which had been placed on the table a few minutes earlier in a fairly hefty crock.  Turns out the jam is locally made at Imladoris Farm.  It was a mixture of blueberry and blackberry.  The blueberry comes from a 200 year-old blueberry patch accessible by four wheel drive vehicle only. This jam mixture was outstanding...deep, rich, flavorful and loaded with fruit.  It was a perfect accompaniment to these breakfast breads...and even better by the spoonful with sip of black coffee!

Next up...the main event.  Buffetbuster had the omelette special - Braised Beef.  Similar to a stew cut, the fork tender beef was cubed, slow simmered in a caramelized onion and rich sauce bath and folded into the eggs.  He choose sunflower seed toast as his side.  Additionally, we split orders of the house made sausage patties and the double thick bacon...both A+'s!  The sausage was spiced just right, rough ground, free formed and very flavorful.  The bacon, cooked to perfection right in between to much and not enough!

But the hit for me was my main course...best meal of the trip so far, perhaps my best Roadfood item ever, and one of my favorites of all time!  With that introduction, it has to be good...and it was.  The plate begins with a simple rendition of cheese grits cooked to perfection.  I am not a grit lover and I loved these.  Firm, not watery, and delicious.  The cheese grits were topped with sauteed shrimp, scallions, mushrooms and crumbled bacon.  The sauted shrimp had a very light sauce - not a heavy country or sausage gravy, but a light almost white wine like.  The combination was one of the best items I have ever eaten!  The plate almost required no further dishwashing...it was that clean!

While it was tough to go on...it was dessert time.  We shared ice cold chocolate pudding and a slice of sweet potato cake which had three layers of light cake with a shredded sweet potato icing studded with nuts and coconut.

After breakfast, we started a drive towards Savannah along Route 17.  This conveniently took to a few more Roadfood places.  First up, the Carolina Cider Company in Yemassee SC.  We picked up all kinds of snacks and fruit flavored ciders for our continuing drive.

Next up, the town of Beaufort.  Our main destination was to be Sgt. White's Diner, a M-F 11-3pm only bbq joint.  As it was still to early, we stopped in at Blackstone's Cafe.  Here we had Key Lime Pie and a delightful, warmed pecan pie topped with whipped cream and in a tip of the hat to Voddo Donuts in portland, I topped it with three strips of bacon.  Surprisingly good and the aroma...almost couldn't take pictures.

Back to Sgt. White's, but still to early.  As others were assembling in Savannah, we thought it best to keep on trucking. 

By the time we got to Savannah, the rains had begun, but thankfully, temps remained above 40.  We began assembling at Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room, a true southern style boarding house set-up.  The line was 20-30 long with equal numbers inside and outside.  As we started at the back, we began outside in the rain.  what a relief to finally get inside and welcome Nancypalooza and her friend Julie, northcarolina, The Travelin Man and wanderingjew. 

Large oval tables are spread out throughout the dining rooms and as a group leaves, it is cleared, cleaned, re-set and fully loaded before the next group sits down.  our table comfortably seated our party of seven along with a lovely couple from Down Under...Australia.  Fresh off a Shuttle take-off, they too had heard of the reputation of Mrs. Wilkes.

Our table was set with 22 different bowls or plates of food...snap beans (my favorite), mashed potatoes, brown gravy, creamed corn, black-eyed peas, white rice, rutabagas, sausages, baked beans, cold macaroni salad, butter beans, stuffing, yams, fried chicken, bbq pork slices, beef stew, stewed okra and tomatoes, collard greens, English peas and noodles (my second favorite), potato salad, cabbage, biscuits and sorghum and at the very end, number 23, a bowl of fresh sliced cucumbers with vinegar, salt and pepper.  There was action, to say the least as plate and bowl passing began immediately after being seated.  Even your sweet tea was placed on the table before being seated.  All this and 5-6 cameras continually being shot!  It was a lot of fun! 

After a light dessert of blueberry cobbler and banana pudding, we departed once again for Beaufort.  we rolled through the rain and into Sgt. Whites with 20 minutes to spare before the 3pm closing time.  It was pulled pork, ribs, greens, fried okra, lima bean casserole and okra stew. 

By now we were beginning to tire slightly, and were even getting a little stuffed.  We decided to have only a light snack at Morrison's Burger Hut in nearby Hollywood.  Cheeseburgers, fries and shakes rounded out this afternoon of Roadfooding, and by now, it was time to begin the 90 minute backwoods trek to our featured dinner pick...Sweatmen's Bar-b-que.

Halfway there, the rain turned to sleet and quickly to snow.  The roads began to get slippery and we all to happy to arrive at our destination.  We were joined by the Roadfood writing team of Chris and Amy - along with Louis.  At Sweatman's, it's all about the pork.  The Travlin Man and I got a personal invite to go out back and check out the smokers.  The chain and pulley system lift an immense metal crown exposing 7 whole, butchered and split hogs just beginning their special treatment of overnight smoking.  With a mixture of ash, pecan and hickory, the piggies will smoke until tomorrow's dinner.

Inside, it's white meat, the moist inner, dark meat, the crisp outer, skin, crisp and quartered and ribs.  Traditional sides as well as two different sauces, carolina mustard and a variation of a traditional red.  Northcarolina was last to arrive and they were literally locking the door so as to allow employees a chance to finish up and get moving before the snow made roads impassable. 

We got out and it was a 30 mile an hour drive back to Charleston.  As cars were beginning to have troubles on the road, we decided to call it night.
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2010/02/12 22:59:11
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/12 23:19:36 (permalink)
Sounds like a fantastic time with good friends & incredibly delicious food ! :)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10421
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/13 03:45:55 (permalink)
Our breakfast at Hominy Grill was an exceptional meal.  And ChiTownDiner's order of pecan pie and bacon at Blackstone's was inspired!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7905
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/13 07:42:08 (permalink)
Burp!
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/13 15:57:09 (permalink)
Pure envy.. I hate snow!!!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/13 16:43:15 (permalink)
For anyone traveling in...been out driving around since 7:30am.  No snow...no traffic!  Sunny since mid morning. 
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/13 20:29:37 (permalink)
Got a call from TTM. He's at Bowen's Island with the group. Apparently the snow stopped and the group was having a fine dinner at the Rustic Island Location. We'll be begging for photos when they have time to post 'em.
susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/13 21:13:57 (permalink)
Dang guys!  I am looking forward to pictures.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/14 17:32:29 (permalink)
My haphazard recordkeeping is here:http://www.flickr.com/pho...ets/72157623435432700/
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/14 17:54:52 (permalink)
Fabulous pictures, Nancypalooza!  Wish I was there.....snow and all.  Cannot wait to see the rest of the pictures and hear of the adventures.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/14 18:29:47 (permalink)
Nancy-
Other than the fact that there are way too many photos of Travelin Man, I really enjoyed your wonderful album.  So, how was Nancy's candy?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/14 18:35:40 (permalink)
I am sitting at the airport, waiting to fly home.  All I have to say is, I may never eat again.  The rigorous eating pace set by ChiTownDiner was nothing short of superhuman.  At times, I was wondering if he was really trying to kill me.

Needless to say, I had an excellent time.  Per usual, it so nice to see old friends again and to meet new ones.  The food and the company were both superb.  But, we also thought about some friends like Mayor Al, Poverty Pete, Sundancer, Bushie and RickF, who had started this tradition and were much missed.  Here is hoping that next year will bring us more attendees and better weather!  Yes, we are still blaming that on you, AL!!!

Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the cable that I need to download the photos on to my laptop.  I will do my best to get some photos up tomorrow. 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/02/14 18:43:44
susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/14 20:57:13 (permalink)
winken blinken and nod are spot on.  Very nice
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/14 21:30:07 (permalink)
I really must get back to a more standard 4000 calorie diet at some point this week.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/14 21:57:32 (permalink)
Cliff--of course I didn't actually have any of that candy.  ;)  It was truly lovely to finally meet all you guys, and I look forward to the more complete pictorial reports.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 00:09:40 (permalink)
Thanks for sharing pictures nancy. Good to see pictures of old friends
Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 923
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 08:08:03 (permalink)
  Wonderful!      I actually couldn't figure out who NOD was!  Really! truly looked nothing like WJ!    The Mrs.Wilkes spread is my new background...(hope that's okay!) I'm going to go stare at it right now!!    So glad you all had such a good time.
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 09:00:19 (permalink)
All of those vegetables look wonderful! It looks like a very fun time was had by all. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 09:05:30 (permalink)
There will be plenty more photos to come, but for now, I wanted to post this action shot of CTD cracking up nocarolina inside Cupcake.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 09:12:30 (permalink)
I - obviously - don't have time for a full run-down on photos, but I have a few favorites from the weekend:

Yes, the rumors are true.  Snow-covered palm trees in the Palmetto State.  This is the part where the snow looks pretty.  It didn't look QUITE so pretty the night before, while driving through this mess.  South Carolina, as you might expect, is not well-equipped to deal with accumulated snowfall.

I can't really tell you guys why she is smiling, but this was my best shot for a date for Valentine's Day.  I think she may have giggled when I asked her if she would bring the icing bag.

There are a lot of enthusiastic Roadfooders, but have you ever seen a guy so happy to have a plate of food all to himself?  Who could ruin such an experience?  Who, pray tell?

I suspect that Amy had a partner-in-crime to distract Chris - a confederate, if you will- to distract Chris from his appointed task.  But, I busted the thief.  For shame.  For shame.
post edited by The Travelin Man - 2010/02/15 09:22:31
joeyholleman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 10:28:02 (permalink)
Hey Glee Club folks,
I'm a features reporter with The State newspaper in Columbia, SC. I'm reading the thread on your South Carolina trip and loving it. I'd like to write something about it for our weekly food page (in Wednesday's paper). As you are probably well aware after this weekend, South Carolinians are proud of their Roadfood heritage. We love to see folks from "outside" enjoy it. And you folks REALLY seemed to enjoy it.
We'd like to run a photo with the story, but we can't steal one from your forum without permission. If one of you photographers is game, send me one or two photos via e-mail. My name is Joey Holleman. My e-mail is the first initial of my first name, my last name (at) thestate dot com. (I'm a newbie, and I don't think I can write out e-mail addresses and web sites on the forum.)
If you want to see the story, it should be online at thestate dot com on Wednesday.
Thanks,
Joey Holleman
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 11:57:09 (permalink)
Two Travelin Man things:

Would someone PLEASE buy some anti-perspirant for The Travelin Man?

zataar

All of those vegetables look wonderful! 

And of those in the Palmetto State this past weekend, only The Travelin Man truly qualifies as a vegetable.

harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 16:16:16 (permalink)
Pictures are great (so far; I hope there are more), and it looks like you had such a fun and delicious time.
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 450
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 16:28:32 (permalink)
i95

Would someone PLEASE buy some anti-perspirant for The Travelin Man?

I'm not sure that anti-perspirant would help in his case since I believe that TTM was suffering from an acute case of the:

ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 16:31:38 (permalink)
TTM, that Amy, she's tricky -- but I'm glad you caught her flagrante delicto!

We had such a blast and can't wait to see you all again!  Can I get an amen for Lowcountry lima beans?    Chris
Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 923
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/15 16:36:12 (permalink)
  Yes! You can actually HEAR Amy saying OOOOO... Priceless. 
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/16 01:45:50 (permalink)
I must say I had a very nice time, even though I only showed up for the three main events of the weekend.  I couldn't have begun to keep up with you guys, but I'm happy with what I had to eat--which was plenty--and none of which can be found in western Kentucky.

I'm glad to have gotten the chance to meet many of the people who post so frequently--and revisit with a few whom I hadn't seen for a while.

I drove to and from the event, and the 11-hour ride back home was filled with many memories--including that treacherous 40-mile drive back from Sweatman's in the snowstorm, with nocarolina following me at 20-30 mph all the way.  Next time, guys, let's have this event in Key West.  If in a warmer clime, I'll be there again next year.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/16 08:28:35 (permalink)
ayersian 
Can I get an amen for Lowcountry lima beans?    Chris
You get a big amen from me! 

Before the trip, I couldn't imagine that Lowcountry lima beans would be that good, but I am now officially a convert!

TTM-
You mentioned that the Amy stealing food photo might be your favorite from the trip and I can see why!

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/16 18:26:53 (permalink)
Nancypalooza , Amazing how Florida people react to snow.

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/17 07:12:01 (permalink)
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1