February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC!

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/17 07:23:53 (permalink)
  nice
post edited by bill voss - 2010/02/17 11:03:44
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10488
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/17 08:21:50 (permalink)
Good article!  Thanks for posting that Nancy.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/17 10:18:05 (permalink)
You folks have done a credible job of carrying the torch to a new generation. Thanks for the great reporting.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/17 11:00:01 (permalink)
Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous Roadfooders from the swift completion of their self-appointed rounds!

Saturday, February 13, 2010

That about sums up our previous 24 hours...but Saturday dawned sunny and clear.  The streets and sidewalks were clear by 4:00am (melting) and dry by 7:00am.  By noon, you wouldn't even know we had any snow at all. 

We convened the Saturday activities at the Charleston Cafe at 8:00am sharp.  As yesterday was clearly a dieting day, today we need to crank it up a notch!  Five of us enjoyed the following...and sharing was allowed!  there was chicken and waffles with a delightful strawberry butter, Amber's Choice which included crab cakes topped with eggs, shrimp, andouille sausage and hollandaise with grits, Low Country Shrimp & grits which consisted of a spicy, tomato cream sauce with peppers, onions, bacon, cheddar and green onions accompanying the eggs and grits, a Goat Island Potato Casserole which had spinach, swill and bacon over scramble eggs, topped with hollandaise and served over larger size potato chips called chippers.  There was a more, traditional breakfast served with ham as well as various sides with the fruit bowl and house made corned beef hash being real standouts!

Next up was the Rising High Cafe, in downtown Charleston proper.  Billed as having an opening time of 8:00am, we arrived at 9:30am only to find breakfast #2 canceled for lack of interest on the restaurant's part!  There were clear door signs with Saturday hours posted, but no bread was a rising and no body was in around.  We were Travelin Manned with the man himself...WOW!  Historical.

We made the 5 minute drive to Snack stop #1...Cupcake.  While scheduled for a 10:00am opening, they were jumping at 9:45am and had 7 employees manning the counter, oven and pastry bags.  We ordered, split, posed and tried 10 different cupcakes.  i really enjoyed the Almond, others picked the many other flavors from Black & White to Red Velvet to Cookies & Cream to Black Bottom to, you get the picture.  All freshly baked minutes earlier, they were literally being frosted as we arrived.  Ummmm, good!

With a big lunch on the horizon, the group split up with wanderingjew and I opting for an early lunch just north of Charleston and Mt. Pleasant in Awendaw.  Here we found the SeeWee Restaurant, one of my have to visit spots.  I love old, converted general stores and this one had all the old feel and character.  Many of the shelves are still stocked and of particular note was the buffet table playing host to 10 cake platters with domes!  each housed another home-made flavor of cake!  We started with a complimentary basket of hush puppies...smaller in size at quarter size, but hot, crisp and good.  our waiter was kind enough to allow me a soup portion of the Okra Soup over Rice with Ham Special so I could try that and my dining companion had the She-Crab soup, a local favorite.  Both were excellent.  I loved crumbling the hush puppies into the soup...delicious!  I choose fried shrimp and scallops served with mac & 7 cheese and fried green tomatoes.  Wanderingjew had the fried eggplant which was soft, greaseless and very flavorful.  I loved my 4 item plate and couldn't help but mix 'n match different bites creating different flavors. as our big lunch was only 30 minutes away, we declined both the cake counter and the pie counter...separate but equal!

The 20 minute drive to Lunch #2 passed quickly by thanks in part to the music of the King - Elvis!  We pulled into Mullah Cuisine in Mt. pleasant to find the staff readying for a charity function that night featuring an Elvis impersonator...or could it be?  Here, 11 of us tried both the menu and buffet.  I opted for fried catfish fillets (2), fried shrimp, collard greens, ac & cheese and a cup of black bean soup that never materialized.  There were many variations of ordering and buffet yielding She-Crab Soup, Mullah Rice, Fried Shrimp, etc.  Of the 22 stops made over the weekend, I felt this was the weakest stop.  Newly remodeled and partially still in progress, there was no ambiance or warmth to this restaurant.  The collard greens were so bitter as to be not edible and the catfish, such a strong fish smell, I declined all but a few small tastes.  Others, raved about their selections, so it may have been my personnel choices.  After a few pictures with Elvis, we headed out for the short 3 minute ride to Snack Stop #2.

Ye Ole Fashioned Ice Cream & Sandwich Cafe in Mt. Pleasant provided a great break spot during our busy day.  While just about any sandwich is available including the day's special - Pimento Cheese, it was the ice cream we had come for.  My choice, Amaretto Cherry with Hot Fudge.  Between the five of us, there were plethora of flavors sampled! 

Time to venture back downtown to Snack Stop #3...Sugar Bakeshop.  tucked in an old residential neighborhood, this converted home bakes cookies, cupcakes and other specialty goods.  The oatmeal raisin cookies and almond cupcakes were particularly noteworthy.  We even relaxed and snacked al fresco on the outdoor patio!  Only experienced snow country residents would dare this move!

Continued on 02-28-10...

Time for dinner and up first for Dinner stop #1 was Ernie's, a soulfood restaurant just a few short blocks away from the Sugar Bakeshop.  A few of the boys were hanging outside, and with signage being a little obscure, they were quick to point us to the door.  entering, we found we were the only ones there...but it was 4pm'ish on a Saturday evening.  The super friendly counter girl was smiling ear to ear in part because she had at least 6 vases of roses for the next day's Valentine's Day.  I had a delicious Whiting Fish, lightly breaded and so soft, geaseless and flavorful along with rice, cornbread, and my new addiction - lima beans.  Buffetbuster jumped right in with a half chicken, greens, rice and cornbread.  This was a small, family operated, neighborhood place.  Everyone coming in greeted us as if we were regulars...and the food would have made us so if we had been local residents.  It was fresh, warm, flavorful and really satisfying.

It was break time and we headed back to our hotel for a 90 minute break and a chance to formally dress for dinner.  I choice my favorite Hawaiian shirt for the evenings festivities!

Dinner was at Bowen's Island, a remote, pier outpost located down a forlorn road of mud, sand, shells and potholes.  It was a major accomplishment to just navigate the parking lot or mud hole and get to the gang plank without a fall.  The restaurant is located on Bowen's Island, about 15 minutes east of downtown Charlestown.  As you enter the "area", you pass by a gentlemen steaming oysters in two big vats.  As one is finished, its contents are dumped into a large shovel, another sack is tossed into the vat, and the shovel is poured onto an expectant and waiting table.  As soon as he returns to the vats, the enxt one is ready and the process is duplicated...all night long! 

Passing the oysterman, you proceed down the pier a short distance and join a line waiting to get into the bait shop.  The line snakes around a little and the forms a loop inside.  As you get in the door, menus are passed around.  You're expected to be ready to order as you make it to the head of the line.  Here we meet the captain, who gets a first name and assigns a three digit code to the name...as in Steve 213.  Our party orders food and drinks from the Captain and he enters things into a computer under 213.  Need to change an order, get a follow-up beverage later, just go on up and add to 213's account.  No other employees in sight!

The main dining room - a wooden, uninsulated building at the end of the pier was loaded, so we were shown another building back a few paces and up a half fliight of stairs right near the oysterman.  Ah...close to the food...could they have known!  Another employee was scrambling to fire up a couple of propane heaters as the temp was around 32 and we were on the water.  The room heated up a little...after about an hour.

When the food hit the table, we had a mighty fine spread.  Tons of Fried Shrimp, Boiled Shrimp, Frogmore Stew (shrimp, sausage, corn and potatoes boiled together), Combo Platers which added crab cakes and fried fish and the best hush puppies of the trip.  The shrimp were the best of the trip, just as the aforementioned hush puppies.  In typical Radfood fashion, there was plenty of sharing, lots of oohs and aahs and a fun gift exchange.  This is both a unigue and fun spot to visit.

We finshed the night with a quick dinner #3 stop at Hyman's Seafood....since 1890!  Here we had a light snack of a fried grit cake topped with scallops done in a creamy galric alfredo sauce topped with bacon, cheese and cajun seasonings.  Delicious!  A few beers ended a great day of Roadfood and friends.

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2010/02/28 19:09:16
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 10:25:36 (permalink)
I'm back to reality. After a 30 minute delay at the Orlando airport due to a connecting flight out of Ft Myers, my flight arrived 15 minutes late into Providence just after 6pm last night.

My girlfriend picked me up at the Airport  and we had dinner at Chelo's Restaurant (a local only in Rhode Island chain) I'm happy to say that after Chi Town Diner tried to kill us all this past weekend I had a nice normal sized dinner consisting of a cup of red chowder and a blackened shrimp cesar salad (I didn't even have any of the rolls that came with the meal)

I haven't uploaded any photos yet but hope to begin a pre and post Charleston trip report within the week and will add additional photos to the Charleston Thread.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 10:44:12 (permalink)
wanderingjew

...My girlfriend...

" />  STOP THE FREAKIN' BUS !!  " />

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3751
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 10:50:12 (permalink)
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 11:09:49 (permalink)
Gregg I forgot to tell you Saturday that we ended up at Cupcake Saturday afternoon too; the four of us split the almond, a black bottom (a chocolate cupcake cooked around a chocolate-chip-cheesecake center), and a carrot cake.  Excellent all around, but the almond was awfully tasty.   They do a really nice job at Cupcake.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 13:00:29 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner 

. . . We pulled into Mullah Cuisine . . .  

I'll wait here for i95's inevitable pictorial joke.  :)
susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 13:22:42 (permalink)
Cute, how WJ slipped that in there.
post edited by susanll - 2010/02/18 13:23:46
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 13:33:04 (permalink)
susanll

I'm confused...
What did I slip in?
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 13:39:38 (permalink)
wanderingjew

susanll

I'm confused...
What did I slip in?

<Waiting patiently to provide rim shot>
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 13:43:50 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

ChiTownDiner 

. . . We pulled into Mullah Cuisine . . .  

I'll wait here for i95's inevitable pictorial joke.  :)

I resent the insinuation. I don't even know Ms. Cuisine.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 13:53:55 (permalink)
Dudes in robes and beards?  No uncovered bare chicken legs?  Come on man, the possibilities are endless!  :)
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/18 17:02:07 (permalink)
I am truly sorry that I was unable to attend.  I wanted to attend as it would have been my 7th straight Glee Club event.  It was impossible.  There was no way to get to Charleston due to roads to Ashville and other routes being closed due to heavy snow and landslides.  Even flying would not work as Atlanta was virtually a closed airport.

I could never ever compete with BB, Traveling man and others.  They can pack it down and I just cannot do that.  I am the old man of the group and even with Pepcid and other medication, I can only do about a meal and a half a day 

I think Al was correct when he stated that a new generation was assuming leadership of the Glee Club.  I hope you never let it die.  Perhaps next year, we can have it a bit closer to where the old folks reside.  Anybody ever think about Chattanooga or Atlanta????

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/19 09:18:22 (permalink)
After thirteen days on the road ( seventeen states and approximately forty-seven hundred miles ), I'm finally back home from my "mega-roadtrip", reasonably alive and intact. Without a doubt, the highlight of this trip was the Glee Club gathering in Charleston last weekend. I had a really great time; wonderful food and, even better, the camaraderie of my fellow roadfooders ( especially a certain four gentlemen who kept me doubled up with laughter the entire time. ) A big "thank you" to everyone involved.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/19 09:35:28 (permalink)
nocarolina aka Carolina Bob

After thirteen days on the road ( seventeen states and approximately forty-seven hundred miles ), I'm finally back home from my "mega-roadtrip", reasonably alive and intact. Without a doubt, the highlight of this trip was the Glee Club gathering in Charleston last weekend. I had a really great time; wonderful food and, even better, the camaraderie of my fellow roadfooders ( especially a certain four gentlemen who kept me doubled up with laughter the entire time. ) A big "thank you" to everyone involved.

nocarolina aka Carolina Bob,(note the name change) What, no trip report?

That was an agressive 13 days.  No better way to see the Country.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/19 09:55:23 (permalink)
carolinabob-
Glad to hear you made it home safely.  You were running on fumes the last time we saw you.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/19 17:18:26 (permalink)
Joe, there will be a trip report, you can count on that. First, though, there will be a two or three week recuperation period ( right now I've got a coroner's tag on my big toe. ) Also, I'm currently unable to post photos thanks to my dumba** computer, so I've got to have something done about that. And Cliff, you sure are right about those fumes. Actually, I was already running on empty when we first met up in Savannah last Friday; that was day #7 of the big extravaganza, and at that point I was already feeling like a refugee from Night of the Living Dead. It didn't keep me from having a great time, though.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/19 21:34:39 (permalink)
I'm glad you got home safe and sound, Bob.  When I last saw you Saturday night, you were looking pretty bushed.  I hope you recuperated enough before taking off for Myrtle Beach.  I'll be looking forward to your trip report in the next month or so.

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/27 11:26:15 (permalink)
Well, I just got my computer problems taken care of ( I hope ), so I thought that I'd post a photo from the Glee Club's SC weekend. Here's yours truly in front of Gullah Cuisine...
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/27 14:17:52 (permalink)
He's not the Elvis dinner and show though.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/27 15:01:51 (permalink)
Sideburns look a little sparse for Elvis! 
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/27 17:17:40 (permalink)
Here's another one... TheTravelinMan and wanderingjew at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/28 16:06:05 (permalink)
One of these two is impersonating a musical legend.  The other IS a Roadfood legend!

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/28 19:19:39 (permalink)
Sunday, February 14th - Happy Valentine's Day

After checking out of my hotel, it was time to work our way downtown.  Our first stop was the former Diane's, now known as Tropical Toast or simply, Toast.  We were just in time as the line was just beginning to form.  We grabbed a table for 4 and buffetbuster, The Travelin Man, wandering jew and I sat down to order.  Midway through the proceedings, Carolina Bob pulled up on his mule and joined us.  I had a single order of cinnamon raisin French Toast.  It was thick cut and accompanied by bacon.  It really sopped up the syrup and was quite good.  the table hit was TTM's Surf and Turf...an English Muffin topped with a medium rare Ribeye Steak, scrambled eggs, shrimp, sauteed onions and a thick, hollandaise like sauce.  Really good...a plate cleaner!

We decided to work up our appetites and choose to trek the three blocks to our next stop, breakfast #2, Magnolias. 

I'll update this later in the day and week and then start with photos...just got a lot of work to do right now!
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/02/28 21:06:00 (permalink)
I am simply heartbroken... my mule died last Tuesday. 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! 2010/03/01 22:28:52 (permalink)
The King of ROCK and the King of SCHLOCK!

And a photo of Buffetbuster at Mrs. Wilkes after he already took a photo!

post edited by wanderingjew - 2010/03/01 22:48:45
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1