The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC!

Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 178
The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Wed, 12/9/09 8:47 PM (permalink)
Based on the posts from past years, we are a little behind in planning the Seventh Annual Official Meeting of the West Tennessee Glee Club and BBQ Society.  Nonetheless, there have been some behind-the-scenes workings to make sure that this event (a) actually takes place; and (b) is, as in years past, a smashing success!  Mayor Al has, regrettably, informed the group that he will be unable to attend this year, which leaves the planning and execution to the pee-ons he left behind.  While these are big shoes to fill, we will collectively endeavor to fill them admirably.

So, let this announcement stand that the Presidents' Day weekend gathering will be held in the Charleston, SC area - and surrounding pieces and parts.  It is a holiday weekend (for some), and, hopefully, far enough south that we will not be too hindered by wintry weather.  The first scheduled event will be Friday dinner, which will hopefully afford the out-of-towners plenty of time to arrive.  We also have events scheduled for Saturday lunch and - the main event, if you will - Saturday dinner.  Folks are, as always encouraged to pack your time around those three events with whatever else you might like to do - and Charleston will provide many varying opportunities.  The schedule will be as follows:

Friday (Feb 12) Night Dinner
- Sweatman's BBQ - Holly Hill, SC

Whole hog BBQ (via flickr)

Saturday (Feb 13) Lunch - Gullah Cuisine - Mount Pleasant, SC

Gullah rice and Gullah gumbo (via above-linked Roadfood.com review)

***Saturday (Feb 13) Night Dinner - Bowen's Island Restaurant - Charleston, SC

Roasted oysters and fried shrimp plate (via above-linked Roadfood.com review)

There is additional talk of small gatherings on Thursday and/or Sunday, too.  82 Queen is one name that I have heard offered as a suggestion for a possible Sunday lunch.  There has also been chatter on Jestine's, Charleston Cafe, Hominy Grill, Bertha's, Hyman's and SeeWee Restaurant as alternative meal sites. 

In my opinion, one of the great things about this kind of get-together is the informal nature of the whole thing.  There is no cost to attend - just your own travel expenses to and from Charleston and whatever you plan to spend on meals.  The flip side to that is, we don't have the money to hire a bus, so you are on your own for transportation.  But, you are also not obligated to attend all three meals.  Perhaps you can only come in for the one day on Saturday - that's fine.

For folks that have attended this event in the past, you know what a great time is in store - despite Hizzonor's absence (and I assure you, there will be a toast of something offered to those not in attendance).  For those of you who have never attended - please come and join us.  You'll feel like you'd known everyone there for years after being in the same room for about 10 minutes.  Of course, 20 minutes after that, you'd wish you didn't know a single soul....but, that's a story for another day.

For a couple of trips (or trip reports) down memory lane....

Feb. 2009 - Memphis
Feb. 2008 - Mobile
Feb. 2007 - Austin, TX
Feb. 2006 - Owensboro, KY
Feb. 2005 - Lexington and Memphis, TN
...and hop in your very own Way-Back Machine for the very first meeting of the West Tennessee Glee Club and BBQ Society in Feb. 2004.  Some of you folks newer to the boards who only know that trip reports contain gigabytes and gigabytes of photos are going to have to use your reading skills in that first thread!  It was much lighter on the photos - but, then I hear the boys almost ran out of their black-and-white film.

Please...come on and come all for a great weekend of really good food - and half-decent company!  Please comment on the thread as to which meals you will plan to attend.  I have also started a Facebook events page, so as we may encourage some of our local friends who don't follow this site religiously to join us, as well.

*** The Saturday night dinner is where we will do the annual "door prize"/gift exchange.  If you are planning to attend, please bring something local and "Roadfood-y" in nature.  For some examples, please check in the threads from the last couple of years.  We've had everything from t-shirts to Tennessee sippin' whiskey to little statuettes of Morie and Florie (from Superdawg) to coffee milk syrup to local jams and jellies and all kinds of BBQ sauces to...well, you get the idea.
<message edited by The Travelin Man on Wed, 12/9/09 11:30 PM>

The Travelin Man

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Wed, 12/9/09 8:48 PM (permalink)
    As of Feb 5 at 4:00 pm, the RSVP (and possibilities) list for the weekend, as compiled from this thread and the concurrent Facebook page, is as follows:

The Travelin' Man (Steve)
    ayersian (Chris and Amy)
    buffetbuster (Cliff) and Cousin Johnny
    wanderingjew (Dale)
    Nancypalooza (Nancy)
    nocarolina (Bob)
    Louis (+1 guest)
    iqdiva
    ChiTownDiner
    That makes 12 confirmed, with Paul and Roz now on the tentative list; improviser removed from the attendees, and ChiTownDiner added.
    The tentative list includes:

Sundancer7 (Paul)
    Iwanago (Roz)
    Random ayersian family members and friends (any idea on count - or for which events yet?)
    A number of people on the Facebook page, including prior attendees Rick F, tiki, and pcdiva and possible first-time attendees Michael Stern, redtressed, and Biker Jim!  If any of you have made travel plans or can update on the likelihood of your attendance, that would be helpful.
    <message edited by The Travelin Man on Fri, 02/5/10 4:15 PM>

The Travelin Man

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Wed, 12/9/09 8:48 PM (permalink)
      This space reserved for "alternate" plans and options for the weekend.  It will be updated.

ayersian

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Wed, 12/9/09 10:51 PM (permalink)
        TTM, Amy & I are in -- just bought our plane tickets for Charleston!  My folks may come down for a meal or two, and I've got a few friends in mind as well...can't wait!    Chris

Sundancer7

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 5:41 AM (permalink)
          TTM:  YOu left off one event in 2004.  It was in Nashville, TN and Lexington, TN.  It was attended by AL, Bushie, PP, somebody from Kentucky that I forgot his stage name and Paul, Pogophiles .  That was the trip where we attempted to do six BBQ places around the Lexington, TN but quickly wore down to only four.  We had dinner in Nashville where it was sorta like you sit down and they bring in bunches of food.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 8:19 AM (permalink)
            I will be there for any and all events and meals.  And I'm sure once cousin Johnny hears about the excellent restaurants we have targeted, he will want to be there, too. 

Paul, it goes without saying that we are keeping our fingers crossed that you will join us in Charleston. 

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 8:29 AM (permalink)
              People are actually going to go to this event???

I will be there, hell, I already got my airline tickets before the event was officially planned, I really "plan in advance" don't I?

The Travelin Man

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 9:10 AM (permalink)
                Sundancer7

TTM:  YOu left off one event in 2004.  It was in Nashville, TN and Lexington, TN.  It was attended by AL, Bushie, PP, somebody from Kentucky that I forgot his stage name and Paul, Pogophiles .  That was the trip where we attempted to do six BBQ places around the Lexington, TN but quickly wore down to only four.  We had dinner in Nashville where it was sorta like you sit down and they bring in bunches of food.

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

Paul: I certainly tried to find all of the previous gatherings, but I am sure you know how the search function can be - without the right key words, one could be searching for hours!  If you can direct me to a thread where this event took place, I will be happy to add it.  I kind of like having an historical archive!  I missed those first couple of meetings.  I guess I was just being anti-social!  Nonetheless, ever since the Austin trip of 2007, I have made this weekend a priority, for sure.  I am looking forward to my fourth Glee Club meeting, and echo the sentiments of those genuinely hoping for your (and Roz's) attendance!

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
                  Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 9:55 AM (permalink)
                    Dear Santa,    ........ And in conclusion, I've been a very good girl and would really like to recieve a shiny new Amtrack ticket and 2 pretty pink or blue Hawaiian shirts.  Thank you for your time sir,say Hi to Blitzen for me,  Dawny  

buffetbuster

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 10:07 AM (permalink)
                    Dawn, I hope Santa comes through for you.  An appearance by you would undoubtedly make a great time even better!

buffetbuster

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 11:44 AM (permalink)
                      My flight is now booked.  I arrive Thursday afternoon and leave late Sunday night.

My plans for Friday morning/afternoon will be to drive to Savannah for lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House.  Southern boardinghouse meals just might be my favorite and I have never been to this place.  This should give me plenty of time to get back to Holly Hill, SC for dinner at Sweatman's.

The Travelin Man

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 12:38 PM (permalink)
                        I am supposed to be picking up YOU KNOW WHO in Jacksonville on Friday.  We may be able to join you at Mrs. Wilkes, if you think they'll let two more Yankees in.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 12:42 PM (permalink)
                          The Travelin Man

I am supposed to be picking up YOU KNOW WHO in Jacksonville on Friday.  We may be able to join you at Mrs. Wilkes, if you think they'll let two more Yankees in.

YOU KNOW WHO's flight doesn't get into Jacksonville until 1:30pm

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
                            Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 1:14 PM (permalink)
                            Wow,  you two will have nearly a four hour trip to get to Sweatman's.  Has anyone called and talked to them?  We went there one Friday night, and  they had run out of food by 7:30.  We had to drive back to our hotel to have a late dinner.

Maybe  things have changed.  The time that this happened was  six years ago.

buffetbuster

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 1:17 PM (permalink)
                              Greymo-
                              Once we have a head count, we plan on calling the restaurants and letting them know we are coming.  I have also heard that Sweatman's can run out, so thanks for the reminder!  Sorry you drove all that distance for nothing.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                Greymo

Wow,  you two will have nearly a four hour trip to get to Sweatman's.  Has anyone called and talked to them?  We went there one Friday night, and  they had run out of food by 7:30.  We had to drive back to our hotel to have a late dinner.

Maybe  things have changed.  The time that this happened was  six years ago.

3 1/2 hours per mapquest Looks like I won't be checking my bags.

Sundancer7

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 1:33 PM (permalink)
                                  The person that joined us on our first Glee Club meeting whos stage name I could not remember was JiminKy.  He passed out (really) on our fourth BBQ stop.  I thought he was going to die.  He finally came out of it and never joined us again.

I will be there and so will ROZ.  .  I am glad it was Charleston.  I wanted to go there on our last Memphis trip.  Mobile was great.

I have been to Sweatmans before.  It is a buffet deal and my thoughts are if you are going to do that, I would get there fairly early as it seem to me the longer it sets under the heat source, it deterioates.  It is sorta back in the sticks.  I had to have a pretty good map to find it.

Paul E. Smith
                                  Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 1:40 PM (permalink)
                                    For those of you who might have a interest, I have attached a link to our first Glee Club meeting.  There are many pages of it but pics are posted on pages 7&8.

Happy reading.  TTM, it took me a while using the search engine but it works. 
                                    This will be our 7th event and always on Presidents day.  
                                     http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=58437&high=lexington+tennessee

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN
                                    <message edited by Sundancer7 on Thu, 12/10/09 1:41 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 1:48 PM (permalink)
                                      Sundancer7

I will be there and so will ROZ

Sundancer7

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                        buffetbuster

Sundancer7

I will be there and so will ROZ

I would not miss it as this is the 7th meeting.  I am sorry that it cannot be on Al's calendar.  Bushie will have a new job then.  I hope he can join the group. 

Our first meeting had six people attend.  The largest group was in Owensboro, KY where I believe 30+ was there.  It was so large that we did not get a chance to properly visit with everyone.  I forget how many joined us in Memphis but that was a pretty good crowd.

Charleston should be pretty good as it allows folks on the east coast easier transportation.

Paul E. Smith
                                        Knoxville, TN

The Travelin Man

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                          Sundancer7

For those of you who might have a interest, I have attached a link to our first Glee Club meeting.  There are many pages of it but pics are posted on pages 7&8.

Happy reading.  TTM, it took me a while using the search engine but it works. 
                                          This will be our 7th event and always on Presidents day.  
                                           http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=58437&high=lexington+tennessee

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

OK...I actually did have that one!  I just didn't format the writing like the others.  The link, in the original post is the one that is simply labeled "Feb. 2004."  I really thought I had them all...but, I never doubt the guys who were actually there!

wanderingjew

People are actually going to go to this event???

I will be there, hell, I already got my airline tickets before the event was officially planned, I really "plan in advance" don't I?

wanderingjew

The Travelin Man

YOU KNOW WHO's flight doesn't get into Jacksonville until 1:30pm

You do see the humor value in this, yes?  Mr. Plan Ahead booked his ticket to arrive so far in advance that we hadn't made all the arrangements - and now we miss out on lunch in Savannah.  And, while not likely with Southwest, any flight delay could really gum things up.  Fortunately, Greymo, the JAX airport is so far on the north side of town - some might even call it southeastern Georgia! - that it will cut down the drive somewhat than if I were picking him up in downtown, for instance.

Sundancer7

I will be there and so will ROZ.

Good news, indeed.  Now we just have to figure out where the nearest Marriott is, eh? 

Sundancer7

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                            Speaking of the Marriott, where will folks be staying.  I will probably choose a Marriott facility.  I was sorta hoping that we would headquarter some place close to the downtown area where the beautiful homes and market is?

Paul E. Smith
                                            Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 3:14 PM (permalink)
                                              Sundancer7

Speaking of the Marriott, where will folks be staying.  I will probably choose a Marriott facility.  I was sorta hoping that we would headquarter some place close to the downtown area where the beautiful homes and market is?

Paul E. Smith
                                              Knoxville, TN

Paul,

Glad you and Roz will be able to make it - I look forward to seeing the both of you again.

I plan in advance, but that that far in advance. I have no idea where I'm staying, hopefully downtown. but likely somewhere close to where everyone else is staying. Unfortunately I can't play with "the big boys" so I'll have to stay someplace more within my budget.

The Travelin Man

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 3:30 PM (permalink)
                                                Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
                                                Knoxville, TN

Paul, I don't know how much you are looking to spend - or if you will use points for the room? - but, when I started doing my research my eyes got a little wide when I saw this place - http://www.marriott.com/h...storic-district/  Unfortunately, they don't seem to have many discounted rates posted for that weekend just yet.  There is also a Courtyard that is on the waterfront, too, if I remember right.

buffetbuster

Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 3:41 PM (permalink)
                                                  wanderingjew

I plan in advance, but that that far in advance. 
                                                  Amateur!  I am staying right across the high bridge in Mt. Pleasant.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 3:57 PM (permalink)
                                                    buffetbuster

wanderingjew

I plan in advance, but that that far in advance. 
                                                    Amateur!  I am staying right across the high bridge in Mt. Pleasant.

Ok, looks like I'll start looking on priceline!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                                                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Thu, 12/10/09 4:14 PM (permalink)
                                                      Glad to see you guys are off to a flying start on the planning of the next session. I wish that circumstances would permit us to participate, but it just isn't in the cards this winter. I look forward to seeing some fine photos and narrative about who ate what and how thin WJ appeared to himself while knocking back many brews and Oysters!

Paul, The Moonlite BBQ meeting in Owensboro,KY was a real "Chinese Fire Drill"! We had 46 people attend, about half of whom were friends of friends etc who had no idea what the group was or why we even sat together. After that mad-house, we scaled back a bit and have enjoyed excellent results each year since.

I hope that some of the Carolina and Georgia folks will join in the fun, as well as Seafarer John and any other folks making the Florida Winter trip.

I am more than willing to help organize the advance work, just let me know what you need.
                                                      AL

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                                        • Location: Columbia, SC
                                                        Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Fri, 12/11/09 5:29 AM (permalink)
                                                        Y'all don't forget that Charleston has quite a few little independent hotels, b&bs, that sort of thing, so you might want to use a site like priceline to capture everything.  I can put in a good word for the King Charles Inn which I think is a Best Western, but that's because they gave us a killer deal on a suite when about eight of us walked in off the street on a Sunday night.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                          • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Sun, 12/13/09 12:07 AM (permalink)
                                                          Like WJ Picky Peggy (PP) and I planned for this trip right after our Sept. trip to Buffalo & Rochester. She enjoyed that trip enough that she gave me the go ahead.

We have a timeshare at DisneyWorld so I booked us there starting 01/31 and and checking out 2/12. We'll drive from there to Charleston. Monday 2/15 we'll then head for home.

I'd like to hear from some of y'all as to lodging plans for Charleston. We'd like to stay with a group of y'all if possible.

<message edited by MikeS. on Sun, 12/13/09 12:08 AM>

Scylla0809

• Total Posts: 3
                                                            • Location: St. Petersburg, FL
                                                            Re:February 2010 Glee Club Meeting - CHARLESTON, SC! Wed, 12/23/09 7:41 PM (permalink)
                                                            Oooo I wish I could join this one! Sweatman BBQ is exquisite and Mrs. Wilkes's boarding house memorable.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 178

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com