Feed a Cold

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/18 08:59:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

And stay away from dairy! It promotes the formation of the stuff you are trying to get rid of in your Kleenex!

I swear, Roadfood is the MOST enlightening forum around. I never knew this!! Fascinating! Maybe that is why I wasn't hungry for my mac and cheese after I made it. My body was trying to tell me something! " />

So am I correct in assuming that in the very dry winter months when your sinuses are like a dessert, it might be good to eat dairy then, huh?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/18 10:29:13 (permalink)
AHHHH, MeowMix, My little Moderator Buddy,

Where else but a RoadFood Forum would one appreciate a freudian slip when describing a dry climatic location as a dessert. LOL dear, Glad to see I am not the only one who's mind is on one thing when I type something else !!
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/18 10:59:08 (permalink)
Dairy = ice cream = dessert!!! See??

Too good to edit it. I'm leaving it!!! LOL!!!

However, please don't anybody get creative and try to come up with what kind of dessert sinuses would be like....EWWWW!

Meowzart--who is in publishing and supposed to catch things like that (please don't tell my boss)
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/18 11:17:25 (permalink)
When my husband is getting a cold, he always orders a garlic pizza - pizza covered with thinly sliced garlic cloves and miraculously, about half the time, he's OK by the next morning.

But if he does get a cold, then he requires Kool Aid. It must be cherry flavor and it must be served from the Mr. Kool Aid pitcher.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/18 12:47:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

Bourbon. Lots of bourboun.

An old North Carolina mountain remedy was a couple of jiggers of apple brandy (from a neighbor's creek bank distillery) mixed with a couple of tablespoons of sourwood honey (or brown sugar if the brandy wasn't available). Just about made me look forward to getting a cold.
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/18 13:04:16 (permalink)
"So am I correct in assuming that in the very dry winter months when your sinuses are like a dessert, it might be good to eat dairy then, huh?"

Probably better to irrigate your sinuses by inhaling small amounts of salt water. Close one nostril. Sniff a little water held in the palm of your hand, spit out the water, do the other side. They actually make a little pot that looks like Aladens lamp for just this purpose. Sold in health stores.Or you could buy a saline solution (only!) inhaler.

If your kids have reoccuring earaches, take them off of dairy. It may take up to 6 weeks, but it works. If Adults stay off dairy, you'd be surprised how much easier it is to breathe!

Now if I only practice what I preach!
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/20 13:23:10 (permalink)
I heard that dairy promoting mucous is actually an old wive's tale, and that what it actually does is 'coat' the mucous, making it seem like there's more in volume.

Either way, it's kind of gross to say mucous. Ugh.
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/20 13:56:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blake76

I don't recommend this for any stomach ailments, but homemade salsa does wonders for the sinuses. Get a grab-bag of jalapenos and other chile peppers at the market (on your way out of the soup aisle), plus an onion and tomato or two, and toss everything in roasting pan; roast for an hour or less (can't remember). Chop off the ends of the peppers, throw everything in the blender and, presto--instant sinus-clearer! Serve with tortilla chips and a box of Kleenex.

Any sign of a cold in the family, and I immediately make a VERY spicy Oriental-style soup, like hot and sour or Oriental noodle with plenty of chilies or chili oil. The perspiration does wonders to kick out those nasty toxins. Also, I make a ginger tea, which is basically an entire sliced ginger root simmered in water, and laced with a hint of honey. It's ideal for a sore throat.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/20 14:43:28 (permalink)
Meoooooow!
It must be a frame of reference kind of thing. The teacher in me drew the connection from SINAI>>>Sinus>>>Dry = desert !!
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/20 14:53:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

i95, Sundancer and Hillbilly may have a point, and I'm saying this as one who no longer uses alcohol.

Our newspaper once reported a survey that queried 12 physicians about how they treated their own colds.

Exactly six listed various products that minimized or reduced uncomfortable symptoms.

The other six admitted they self-medicated with adequate amounts of bourbon, scotch, gin, etc. They spoke enthusiastically of this approach, most being specific with details of what they preferred.

Their idea was this: since one can't do much about a cold, a soul may as well enjoy the experience. Interesting.

JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/20 15:47:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

Probably better to irrigate your sinuses by inhaling small amounts of salt water. Close one nostril. Sniff a little water held in the palm of your hand, spit out the water, do the other side. They actually make a little pot that looks like Aladens lamp for just this purpose. Sold in health stores. Or you could buy a saline solution (only!) inhaler.
The appliance described by Maynerd is a Netti pot, used for sinus and allergy relief. For some of us, they're a Godsend. I wound up buying one last Spring after months of sinus induced ear infections and headache, requiring 5 schedules of antibiotics.

My Netti pot is a Narial Nasal Cup and is made by Essential Products Alliance, Inc. in Versailles, Ky. It cost $14.95 at our community coop. Most coops, independent pharmacies and health food stores now sell Netti pots. The Narial Cup can be ordered online from the maker's Web site: www.nasalcups.com The site has FAQ and store locator features.

I would caution folks to buy the plastic version, as the ceramic one is easily broken.

Non-iodized salt is best, as it doesn't sting the nasal passages. You'll want to buy the salt at the supermarket where it's cheap (26 oz. of non-iodized salt for 38 cents). My coop vastly overchargs for 2 ounce packets of the salt, sold next to the Netti Pots.

There are good, current books on sinus problems, including one about the holistic approach, titled Sinus Survival by Robert Ivker (2000). I've learned that sinus problems are an ailment one needs to understand, so some reading is in order for most of us.
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/20 16:02:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

Yep I agree , mine is bourbon, lemon and honey.. Always works..or at least makes me feel better.[|)]
Alirush
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/20 16:49:09 (permalink)
My husband and I go to Puerto Rico every Christmas to visit my in-laws, and inevitably, one of us gets a cold. The in-laws promptly respond by sending us to the beach to go get some of that "good salt water" up our noses, and then when we return from surfing the waves, we eat arroz con pollo and drink fresh mango smoothies. Our colds clear up in no time! I only wish I could medicate myself in a similar fashion the rest of the year...maybe I'll drink some bourbon and close my eyes and pretend!
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Feed a Cold 2003/11/21 09:39:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Hey Meowzart,

Are you feeling better yet?

Clothier- knowing he's going to get the same thing, and wanting to know how long he's going to feel like crap.

Yup...I am back to my normal frisky self. Took almost two weeks, though. It was a doozy. I had a fever for like 4 days straight. When I slept through the night, I knew I was free! I still cough when I laugh, though. I sound like Muttley when somebody gets me going.

I also think it is kind of amazing to see these things travel. It started with my cubicle neighbor who got it from his nephew (kids are such germy things!). Then me. And now exactly half our floor is out with the same thing. And it doesn't seem to matter if you stay home and try to keep others from getting it, it still makes its way around. I think the dry air in office buildings facilitates it no matter what precautions you take.

I really think the Odwalla juice drink called Wellness helped a bunch. If you can find some clothier, fortify yourself now.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Misery loves company, and you all were perfect company!!!

Meowzart
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1