Feeling Minnesota

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10445
2010/04/06 10:41:49 (permalink)

Feeling Minnesota

My girlfriend and her daughter have been out of the country for the last couple weeks.  Knowing I had to pick them up at the airport around 4:30PM on Easter Sunday, I looked to see where I could go and have a return flight that gets in around the same time as them.  A direct flight on Delta from MSP would put me back in Pittsburgh a few minutes after 4:00PM, so Minnesota became my holiday weekend destination.

Thursday April 1, 2010

The plan after landing in town a little after 6:00PM was to hit a steakhouse and a pie store.  Since the pie store closed at 8:00PM, I would have to go there first.  Life is so unfair! 

White Bear Lake/Mahtomedi is a northeast suburb of St. Paul and that is where you will find Betty's Pies.

The building isn't particularly interesting, but the sign out front is.  

Some of you might remember from my Texas trip report, where I first encountered the concept of pie happy hour at Blue Bonnet Cafe and had hoped it would sweep the country.  Slowly but surely, we are getting there!

I had eaten in the original Two Harbors location, near Duluth, in 2007 and remember how all the non-pie food was not very good.  So, I stuck to the basics.  Because it was later in the day, the pie selection

had been rather picked over.  Still, some good options there and I went with the butterfinger cream. 

Extremely light, the fork went through it with no impediment and there are broken up bits of the candy bar on top.  Not overly sweet, this was a fine slice of pie!  Considering I was only going to eat one piece, I think I chose wisely.

Oh, but I was far from done.  As pointed out in Jane & Michael Stern's 500 Things To Eat book, Betty's Pies also makes pie milkshakes. 

After consulation with the waitress over which pie makes the best shake, I went for the cherryberry.  They put an entire slice of pie in the blender to delicious results and as you can see,

they are huge!  All the berries blended well

and were easy to drink, but there were several large chunks of pie crust still floating around.  I sure couldn't drink one of these everyday, but it still comes highly recommended.

Before leaving, I grabbed a slice of 5 layer chocolate pie to go, for Travelin Man, since he was due to land the next day.  Unfortunately, I forgot to give it to him.  Sure hope he doesn't find out!

Now that dessert was out of the way, it was time for dinner.

Betty's Pies
700 Wildwood Road
Mahtomedi, MN
651-777-6728

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/5075/bettys-pies
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/04/06 10:44:27

100 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 12:29:50 (permalink)
    Ok, your link answered my question.... it is from the original Betty's Pies in Two Harbors Minn. We stopped a few times on our trips to Grand Marais. Not a pie eater but the lunch options were OK considering there wasn't much along the North Shore back some years ago.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1099
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 12:32:12 (permalink)
    That reminds me of Portillo's in Chicago.  They have a chocolate cake shake which is the same idea.  I have not tried one but my sister and a friend of mine says they are great.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 12:52:37 (permalink)
    That pie looks fantastic. Looking forward to more.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 13:22:01 (permalink)
    Thursday April 1 cont.

Just a few minutes later, I pulled up at my dinner destination, Lindey's Prime Steak House in Arden Hills.  This is a deceptively large building,

with different levels, as if it has been added on to multiple times.  And they have a quality neon sign

over the doorway.  I was greeted warmly and sat by the window.  In business since 1958, the inside is wood, wood and more wood,

which gave it a casual feel.  There did seem to be a couple of business dinners going on, but most of the customers were families or couples on dates.

No menu here.  Instead, my waitress dragged over a stand

with the short menu on it and went over it with me.  The difference between the prime sirloin and the special sirloin is that the latter was a center cut.  So, I went for that.  From there, dinner is more or less set, with the only decision being if you want mushrooms or not.  Being a mushroom lover, I said yes.

The first two things to arrive at my table were the salad,

topped by a homemade dressing, similar to French and a basket of garlic bread. 

It wasn't until she had walked away until I realized that I had no silverware.  I saw her working elsewhere in the restaurant, but it was a good ten minutes when she checked on me and I could tell her about my dilemma.  She apologized over and over, but it really wasn't a big deal and told her so.  She even told me that my meal would end with a piece of cheesecake on the house.  Unfortunately, I don't like cheesecake and told her it would just go to waste.

I just started into the salad, when the rest of the food arrived.  The "greaseless" hash brown potatoes

were big chunks of spuds, with plenty of skin on and were served quite hot.  Even better was the buttery and well seasoned mushrooms. 

The side I just didn't get is the sweet watermelon rind. 

I'm guessing it is pickled and although I did try it, this wasn't for me.  It is indeed sweet, but the texture was just a little weird for me.

The steak itself was a mixed bag.  You certainly don't get cheated on the portion size. 

I asked for my steak medium, but to my taste, it seemed a little underdone. 

This sure didn't seem like a prime steak to me, but then I don't claim to be any kind of steak expert.  I would rate this steak as about average.

After leaving Lindey's, I headed straight to my hotel, the Comfort Suites in downtown Minneapolis.

Lindey's Prime Steak House
    3600 North Snelling Avenue
    Arden Hills, MN
    866-491-0538

http://www.theplaceforsteak.com/
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/04/06 13:27:13
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 14:12:07 (permalink)
    Friday April 2, 2010

Despite the thread title, I spent a good portion of the day in western Wisconsin.  My day started with a drive through lovely farm country into the small town of Downing.  According to the 2000 census, Downing has 257 residents.  Yet, it still felt quite a bit bigger than some of the other towns around it.  There was a sign welcoming me to Triple Creek Country.

My destination was Downing Cafe,

located in the basement of the local Civic Hall.  You would think they don't get too many strangers here and would be curious about me.  But the exact opposite was true.  Nobody greeted me, nobody questioned me, they just didn't pay me any mind at all.  I think I could have rode into the restaurant on a unicycle, juggling chainsaws and they wouldn't have bothered looking up from their coffees.  Truthfully, this is just fine with me!

The inside is rather plain,

but how much can you really do with a civic hall basement?

Since it was only 9:00AM, I looked over the breakfast menu and settled on the Downing scramble.  This is scrambled eggs,

with hashbrowns and ham mixed into the eggs, with shredded American cheese on top.
    Hashbrowns mixed into the scrambled eggs was new to me, but it worked well.  I easily ate the entire dish.

When I first sat down, I asked the polite but quiet waitress what kind of pie they had this morning.  My choices were lemon or cranapple.  Neither were too thrilling and I was trying to decide between the lemon or saving room for future meals.  But before I could order, an elderly gentleman walked in through the back door, carrying a box.  He proceeded to take an amazing looking pie out of the box and set it on the counter. 

This made everyone in the place oooow and awwww.  There was speculation as to what it was was, but the waitress quickly inspected it and declared it banana cream.  My favorite!  Talk about being in the right place at the right time!  I got her attention and asked for a piece.  This was soon delivered to my table.

The top was perfectly light and airy, but still had substance, if you know what I mean.  The filling was still quite warm and loaded with bananas.  This was an outstanding piece of pie.  And to think I came within minutes of missing out on it!

From what I gleaned from other conversations, the gentleman was the owner's father and the pie was made by the owner's mother.  My entire bill here was less than $10.00!

Downing Cafe
    306 Main Street
    Downing, WI
    715-265-7001

http://downingcafe.com/
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/04/06 14:15:57
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3760
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 14:20:37 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

I think I could have rode into the restaurant on a unicycle, juggling chainsaws and they wouldn't have bothered looking up from their coffees....

It may shock you to learn that this is actually the most regionally appropriate way to arrive to a restaurant in western Wisconsin.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1070
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 14:27:35 (permalink)
    I'm amazed to learn that there's a restaurant in Minnesota that serves pickled watermelon rind.

I've only had it at one place:  the Trustee's Office dining room at the Inn at Pleasant Hill, the Shakertown restoration near Harrodsburg, Kentucky.

I agree that the texture is a little unusual, but I found it delightful, and very refreshing.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 15:40:18 (permalink)
    Pickled Watermelon Rind was a staple garnish for many of the Chicken/Turkey dinners served at Howard Johnsons back in the days of the Turnpike Dinner locations. It is a bit 'gooey' and much sweeter than the typical sweet pickle chunks.
    DocChuck
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 15:49:43 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Thursday April 1 cont.

Just a few minutes later, I pulled up at my dinner destination, Lindey's Prime Steak House in Arden Hills.  This is a deceptively large building,

with different levels, as if it has been added on to multiple times.  And they have a quality neon sign

over the doorway.  I was greeted warmly and sat by the window.  In business since 1958, the inside is wood, wood and more wood,

which gave it a casual feel.  There did seem to be a couple of business dinners going on, but most of the customers were families or couples on dates.

No menu here.  Instead, my waitress dragged over a stand

with the short menu on it and went over it with me.  The difference between the prime sirloin and the special sirloin is that the latter was a center cut.  So, I went for that.  From there, dinner is more or less set, with the only decision being if you want mushrooms or not.  Being a mushroom lover, I said yes.

The first two things to arrive at my table were the salad,

topped by a homemade dressing, similar to French and a basket of garlic bread. 

It wasn't until she had walked away until I realized that I had no silverware.  I saw her working elsewhere in the restaurant, but it was a good ten minutes when she checked on me and I could tell her about my dilemma.  She apologized over and over, but it really wasn't a big deal and told her so.  She even told me that my meal would end with a piece of cheesecake on the house.  Unfortunately, I don't like cheesecake and told her it would just go to waste.

I just started into the salad, when the rest of the food arrived.  The "greaseless" hash brown potatoes

were big chunks of spuds, with plenty of skin on and were served quite hot.  Even better was the buttery and well seasoned mushrooms. 

The side I just didn't get is the sweet watermelon rind. 

I'm guessing it is pickled and although I did try it, this wasn't for me.  It is indeed sweet, but the texture was just a little weird for me.

The steak itself was a mixed bag.  You certainly don't get cheated on the portion size. 

I asked for my steak medium, but to my taste, it seemed a little underdone. 

This sure didn't seem like a prime steak to me, but then I don't claim to be any kind of steak expert.  I would rate this steak as about average.

After leaving Lindey's, I headed straight to my hotel, the Comfort Suites in downtown Minneapolis.

Lindey's Prime Steak House
    3600 North Snelling Avenue
    Arden Hills, MN
    866-491-0538

I can understand your disappointment with that steak.  The steak in your photo is most definitely NOT 'USDA Prime' beef.  It is more likely supermarket-quality USDA 'Choice' beef.  They should be ashamed of themselves (or, perhaps, worse - like, investigated) for peddling that steak as 'Prime.'  But, I should warn you, as a beef aficionado,  that MANY restaurants, especially restaurants outside of the major metropolitan areas, will peddle inferior steaks on a regular basis.

On the other hand, I would have to offer that the degree of cooking was quite correct --- had it been a quality cut of beef.  But given that it was not, who knows HOW to cook inferior steaks so that they are palatable? 

I am sorry that you were mistreated there.  You deserved better.

DocChuck
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 16:09:30 (permalink)
    rumaki

I'm amazed to learn that there's a restaurant in Minnesota that serves pickled watermelon rind.

I've only had it at one place:  the Trustee's Office dining room at the Inn at Pleasant Hill, the Shakertown restoration near Harrodsburg, Kentucky.

I agree that the texture is a little unusual, but I found it delightful, and very refreshing.

And I would agree with your surprise that a Minnesota restaurant serves pickled watermelon rind!  I suspect that someone in that restaurant is a transplanted Southern lady or gentleman.

I mean, I remember that my maternal grandmother Gatewood (Houston, Texas) was making pickled watermelon rinds some 65 years ago, from the melon (plugged, inspected, and purchased from "ICE HOUSES" in Houston) left-overs that my large, extended Southern family consumed all summer long during the hot, humid --- but delightful weather in Houston, Texas.

WOW!  It brings back many pleasant Southern watermelon-eating memories.
    post edited by DocChuck - 2010/04/06 16:17:32
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 18:36:29 (permalink)
    I think the berry pies at Betty's are the best and although I've never had the pie shake it looks unbelievably good.  I might have to hit the one in Two Harbors this summer.  The list does get picked over quick late in the day.

You may have experienced Minnesota Nice, Cliff.  Super polite but they really do not intend to engage you.  Julie maintains that Minnesota Nice is not in fact nice, but hey, they aren't giving you the Bronx cheer.

It's too bad about that steak because the rest of the meal looks great.  The warm banana cream has to be proof that you have good karma.  :)
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 19:48:23 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster,

Great report and pictures, as usual.  I had never heard of the "pie happy hour" concept but endorse it heartily.  It's time to start a "pie happy hour" movement that will spread throughout this fair land of ours and bring liberty to the captives... OK, maybe that's a bit over the top, but how can you go wrong?  Thanks for sharing.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 20:35:58 (permalink)
    Nancy-
    TTM and I discussed the Minnesota nice and you described it perfectly.  Everyone was very cordial, but when you tried to have a little more of a conversation, you really couldn't get anywhere.  It was a detached friendliness.

And next time at Betty's Pies, I will go the other way and eat a berry pie and drink a cream pie shake.

BuffaloTarheel-
    Thanks for the support on pie happy hour.  Unfortunately, this is only the second place I have seen it in three years, so it isn't catching on as fast as I would like.  Maybe we need to be more proactive!

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2724
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 20:53:35 (permalink)
    bb,

There will be a Pie Happy Hour on May 30.  Bring a designated driver.

BTW - I hate to be critical, but you could probably use some Trip Report tips from this guy

jrp
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6398
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 21:43:08 (permalink)
    Cliff,

I like Betty's Pies but I have only been to the Two Harbors location which itself today is not the original and not Betty. I pine for the old shop and Betty herself. That's when Betty's Pies were Betty's. It was eons ago and much better and what created the mystic. Now my favorite on the North Shore is the Pie Place in Grand Marais. It is quite a bit more authentic and original.

So, heck, I beat it out of Minnesota this week and had Charlene's pie at the Farmer's Kitchen in Atlantic, Iowa. Not the sour cream raisin, but the raspberry chocolate truffle cream pie.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/06 21:49:34 (permalink)
    Davydd, are you trying to kill him?

Cliff maybe you should start an Internet movement to popularize the Pie Happy Hour.  It is an idea that has not been brought to its full flower.  Or flour.  :)
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3760
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/07 01:39:34 (permalink)
    The Texan Cafe in Hutto has a Pie Happy Hour.  It is conveniently located on the same road as Louie Meuller's BBQ, on the way back in towards Round Rock.

Bushie tried to take me there last spring, and, well....they were closed.  I made it back this past fall.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/07 08:32:29 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

BTW - I hate to be critical, but you could probably use some Trip Report tips from this guy

jrp

Jim, I'm glad that you enjoy my trip reports, but buffetbuster certainly doesn't need tips from me, or anyone else for that matter. Anything that I know about posting reports, I picked up from him. Heck, I'm still learning all this stuff and who knows, I might get as good as Cliff someday if I'm lucky.
    post edited by Carolina Bob - 2010/04/07 08:34:06
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/07 08:51:31 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

bb,

There will be a Pie Happy Hour on May 30.  Bring a designated driver.
    Well, cousin Johnny will be with me, but I'm not going to be the one who tells him he can only watch us eat pie!

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/07 13:55:10 (permalink)
    Friday April 2, 2010

The drive to my next destination was only 25 miles or so, but it was through some very scenic farmland.  If you can find the small town of Sand Creek, WI, then you can find Sand Creek Cafe.  Because there isn't much else here in town. 

The Sand Creek Cafe is reviewed by Jane & Michael Stern here on this site, but I don't think I have ever read it mentioned in the forums.  The building

itself looks pretty spiffy, but the sign

says it goes all the way back to 1925!  And like the review says, you can register for turkey hunting here.

Actually, you can get all kinds of hunting and fishing licenses here.

You walk in the door and are greeted by this fellow

on your left.  The entire place is decorated in taxidermy. 

Somebody here has a sense of humor.  If you look to the doorway in the left of the photo, you will see the south end of a north facing deer.  That is the door to the bathroom!

You have wooden booths, tables and counter seats to choose from and since every table or booth was full, I grabbed a seat at the counter.  The menu had something I have never seen before.  Here is the list

of all of their employees since 1976, though I do have my doubts whether Brett Favre ever really worked here.  The menu also says "From all of us here at the cafe.....  Thanks for dining with us, now get out". 

The time was a little after 10:00AM.  I asked the waitress if it was too early to order off of the lunch menu.  She said they could probably make me a hamburger, but other than that, I was stuck with breakfast.  I asked if I could at least get a milkshake and she said it is never too early for a milkshake!  I like that can do attitude!  With a few scoops of Gustafson ice cream (which I had never heard of before) and some time spent on the antique looking mixer,

I soon had my strawberry milkshake.

Any place that delivers your shake in a silver beaker, with enough left over to refill your glass, automatically gets a big thumbs up from me!  And the shake itself was plenty thick and delicious.

To eat, they had some unusual items I wasn't familiar with.  Molly Browns are scrambled eggs, hash browns, ham and cheese, while the Sam Browns replaces the ham with sausage.  Sure sounds like what I just ate at Downing Cafe.  I went with the Sam Browns. 

Only here, I was also given a cup of salsa and a packet of sour cream.  I took the implied advice and mixed it all together for a fine breakfast meal.

Sand Creek Cafe does seem to be the epicenter of town.  They even have groceries for sale. 

Even though I spoke not one word to any of the locals other than my waitress, this place gets high marks for it's small town Roadfood atmosphere.  I only wish I had enough room for some of that pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing sitting in the display case.

Sand Creek Cafe
    N13419 County Trunk I
    Sand Creek, WI
    715-658-1335

[link=http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/348/sand-creek-cafe]http://www.roadfood.com/R...ws/348/sand-creek-cafe[/link]

post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/04/07 14:57:24
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/07 14:26:25 (permalink)
    Something I noticed I forgot to mention previously.  In both Downing Cafe and Sand Creek Cafe, there was a table with a large extended family and to kill time, they were taking turns rolling dice.  It didn't look like they were playing Yahtzee.  Has anyone else seen this?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5165
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/07 14:50:00 (permalink)
    Shaking the dice is a time-honored tradition in many Wisconsin bars although I've never done it.  Strange that a family was doing it, though...I would've expected them to be playing euchre or sheepshead.  Did you witness any meat raffles, too?

FYI, Wisconsin county trunk highways are always designated by letters so the Sand Creek Cafe is on CTH I.

Brad
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/07 14:59:18 (permalink)
    Brad-
    Thanks for the info on shaking the dice.  You learn something new everyday!  Meat raffles?  Un no, I don't think so.

And thanks for the correction of the address.  It has been changed.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/08 11:07:33 (permalink)
    Friday April 2, 2010 cont.

Next stop on a busy eating morning in western Wisconsin was the famed Norske Nook,

in Osseo.  This place was in the Roadfood books for years, but is no longer included.  As Michael Stern writes in this thread,

[link=http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=229209&high=norske+nook]http://www.roadfood.com/F...9&high=norske+nook[/link]

they stopped in after owner Helen Myhre sold the place and wasn't impressed.  Still, I wanted to see it myself.

Located in the center of town, I pulled in just a few minutes before noon.  The place
    looked busy and there seemed to be quite a few more people headed for the door.  So I parked quickly and got in line.  Since I was by myself, they offered me a seat at the counter, which I grabbed.  It was quite obvious that this was the best seat in the house, since it came with this view.

I'm thinking somebody up there likes me!

They did have lefse wraps on the menu and in hindsight, that is what I should have ordered.  How many times in my life will I get a chance to eat lefse?  Instead, I went the comfort food route with a bowl of soup and half a hot turkey sandwich.  The beef vegetable soup

was actually pretty good, but the sandwich was awful. 

The turkey was a small portion of turkey lunchmeat, the gravy had very little flavor and the mashed potatoes were hard as hockey pucks. 

Okay, now for the real reason I was here.  Considering this was my third meal in a short amount of time, I only had room for once slice of pie.  Here were my options. 

Having had two fantastic slices of sour cream raisin pie before (at Crystal Cafe in Nebraska and Farmer's Kitchen in Iowa), I was hoping my luck with this flavor would continue.

Here is a shot of the pie

before being cut into and you can see just how tall this pie is.  I was struck by how masterful all the waitresses were in cutting these tall pies and not making a big mess.  Presentation is part of the attraction here.  And here is my young waitress,

just before delivering it to me.  Unfortunately, the pie,

was also a disappointment, especially the gummy and too sweet filling. 

Everyone else around seemed to be enjoying their pies, so maybe I ordered the wrong kind.  Most likely, cousin Johnny and I will be passing though here in about a month, so we may stop in just for pie.  I can see trying a fruit pie next time.

Norske Nook
    13804 7th Street
    Osseo, WI
    715-597-3069

[link=http://www.norskenook.com/%3C/a%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/a%3E]http://www.norskenook.com...%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/a%3E[/link]

By this time, I was quite full.  And after not getting much sleep the night before, more than a little tired.  I drove straight to my hotel back in Minneapolis and took a couple hour nap.
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/04/08 11:12:23
    cjucoder
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/08 12:03:03 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Considering this was my third meal in a short amount of time, I only had room for one slice of pie. 

This line cracked me up big time

ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/08 13:18:54 (permalink)
    I have to interject here.  The Sand Creek Cafe piece has an interesting notation that "you can register for turkey hunting here"....actually, the sign that says "Turkey Registration Station" doesn't mean that.  You don't register for turkey hunting in WI, you buy a license.  Turkey Registration means you drag in your dead turkey that you just shot to get the KILL registered.  Any time you shoot a turkey or deer in WI, you need to drag the dead body into a registration station or you will get thrown in jail.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/08 14:35:09 (permalink)
    REALLY?  That's awesome.

By way of nothing, I have a friend who just celebrated Easter with kielbasa she got at a meat raffle.  She's in New England so I don't know where the meat raffle world stops and ends.

So sorry about the disappointing sour cream & raisin pie dude.  If you ever manage to hit the Minnesota State Fair, you can get lefse there.
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/08 14:58:56 (permalink)
    Norske Nook must have changed their recipe. Our sour cream raisin pie recipe is loosely adapted from Helen's original recipe.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Feeling Minnesota 2010/04/08 15:04:57 (permalink)
    blizzardstormus-
    It must have.  Your mom's was significantly better!
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1