Fernandina Beach, FL. Long time past....

Author
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
2014/03/27 02:54:30 (permalink)

Fernandina Beach, FL. Long time past....

Anne and I spent time at my folks villa at Amelia Island Plantation when it was Sea Pines in the late 70's.  Very nice.  Very unpopulated.  That's gone and we would like to go back for a visit.  Any recommendations for downtown Fernandina?  Price is not an issue.  Places to stay?

6 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Fernandina Beach, FL. Long time past.... 2014/03/27 04:22:26 (permalink)
    A number of years ago we stayed at a B & B there but don't remember the name.
    A B & B will take you back to the Good Old Days.
    I remember seeing a number of them around town and they all looked very nice and Nostalgic!
    http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/fernandina-beach-florida.html
    Keysey42
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Fernandina Beach, FL. Long time past.... 2014/03/27 10:51:16 (permalink)
    On our last trip there, we stumbled into a place called Marina Seafood at the end of Centre Street downtown, just before the railroad tracks. (101 Centre Street is the address). I'm sure there are much fancier places with more creative menus in town, but the Marina is all you can ask from road food: Good food, decent portions (lunch specials come with three sides, or you can choose two sides and a dessert), reasonable prices and a friendly staff. And while the name suggests a seafood-centric menu, their lunch special menu is heavy on good old-fashioned southern comfort food.

Two blocks east on Centre Street and across the street (218 Centre Street) is Fantastic Fudge, which sells exactly what their name says — fantastic, melt-in-your mouth fudge.

If you have time, head south to Atlantic Beach and go to Culhane's Irish Pub at 967 Atlantic Boulevard (be sure to take the Mayport Ferry). Run by four Irish Sisters, its strip shopping center location doesn't like much from the outside, but inside is about as authentic an Irish pub vibe as you'll find anywhere in Florida. The Reuben Egg Rolls, Guiness Beef Stew and Dingle Fish Pie are not to be missed, but you really can't go wrong with anything on the menu. They're closed Mondays, open at noon Tuesday-Saturday and 11 a.m. on Sunday. They have a Sunday brunch menu from 11-2, lunch other days is served from noon-3, dinner til close.

It's been years since I've been to Singleton's Seafood Shack in Mayport, but I have fond memories of it, and it's still highly rated on most rating sites. Maybe other Road Fooders will have a recent experience there to share.

Enjoy your trip — it's a beautiful place!
    post edited by Keysey42 - 2014/03/27 11:01:03
    ek2stix
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Fernandina Beach, FL. Long time past.... 2014/03/28 12:51:49 (permalink)
    Try LuLu's at The Thompson House, try the Calamari! in downtown Fernandina Beach.  Sliders Seaside Café is good too.  Enjoy your trip.
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re:Fernandina Beach, FL. Long time past.... 2014/03/28 13:01:19 (permalink)
    I had an anniversary dinner at the place at the end of the pier across the railroad tracks and it wasn't exactly roadfood but it was still good. I second singletons in Mayport.
    ek2stix
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Fernandina Beach, FL. Long time past.... 2014/03/28 21:35:40 (permalink)
    Singleton's was a fun trip...great Menorca Chowder and trigger fish...cheap beer and cheap dining..total dive as was found by Diner's Drive-In's and Dives.
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re:Fernandina Beach, FL. Long time past.... 2014/03/28 22:35:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the ideas.
    We will be coming from the south so Culhanes (just saw the tripleD episode) and Singletons look like real good front-end and back-end lunches.
    Any more suggestions for dining in the historic area of Fernandina?  Any price range, just good food.
    Anything down at the south end of Amelia Island?

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1