Ferrell's in Hopkinsville, Ky.

Author
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2314
2005/07/23 11:21:52 (permalink)

Ferrell's in Hopkinsville, Ky.

Opening in 1929, Ferrell's reminded me of the Cozy Inn in Salina, Ks. Seating was limited to a seven stool counter. The burger is formed from a ball of hamburger, squashed thin, but normal sized, not tiny like White Castle or Cozy. The menu is small. You can have your burger with or without cheese, onions and pickles. They have chili, reminiscent of the Varsity in Atlanta. You can get a hot dog and a piece of pecan pie. That's about it.
Interestingly, the original owner is still on the job. Mrs Ferrell is 95 now, according to the counter waitress.

2 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Ferrell's in Hopkinsville, Ky. 2005/07/23 12:32:20 (permalink)
    Sounds like my kind of place. I love this town and will have to look up the address next time I'm in the area and thanks for your report, Pete.
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Ferrell's in Hopkinsville, Ky. 2005/07/24 15:29:00 (permalink)
    Last summer, we ate at Ferrell's in Cadiz, KY and thoroughly enjoyed it. Burgers were $1.10, $1.20 with cheese, drinks were $.70, $.80 and $.90 for small, medium and large. We had chili fries for (I think) $2.90, which - with a burger each - was shared by my wife and I. I had never had fries with chili on them before. American cheese was on top of the chili. The chili was nearly all meat, very few beans. It was a wonderful lunch and we will likely eat there on our next trip through. From the Cadiz exit on the interstate, head west and turn right where the sign points to downtown. Ferrell's is in a white cinder block building on the right. The first thing I noticed when we entered Ferrell's was the clock which said "Ferrell's - Since 1929".

My wife was born in Salina, KS and we have eaten at the Cozy Inn when visiting in Salina. We live in suburban Atlanta and, of course, eat at the Varsity occasionally. Thanks, Poverty Pete, for a great post.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1