The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Field Report: Micklethwait Craft Meats In Austin Texas

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 639
Field Report: Micklethwait Craft Meats In Austin Texas Mon, 12/24/12 11:33 AM (permalink)
What started as a roving outlaw barbecue food party has settled into a food trailer home on Austin's East Side: Micklethwait Craft Meats is the best barbecue in Austin you never heard of. Owner and pit boss Tom Micklethwait is doing Texas barbecue the old fashioned way: hand grinding and stuffing his sausage, building post oak fires and slowly smouldering his meats til they're good and ready.
Micklethwait makes everything from scratch.
We ran by earlier today and had sliced pork shoulder and kielbasa hot links (the brisket wasn't going to be ready til 4pm)
The pork was approaching the melting point but still had a good chew. The brawny hot links were divine. Perfectly seasoned and needing nothing; neither sauce nor salt. Unbelievable. A big plate of meat was $6.50.
You can buy your meats at $13 per pound or get plates starting at $8.
Sandwiches are $6.
Expect daily sausage specials as the pit boss experiments with his grinder/extruder. He's making duck tomorrow, for example.
Micklethwait Craft Meats is located behind Hearts & Robots Hair Studio, a stone's throw east of East End Wines.
pic: http://www.scrumptiousche...cklethwait-Craft-Meats

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
    Re:Field Report: Micklethwait Craft Meats In Austin Texas Mon, 12/24/12 2:11 PM (permalink)
    Hmm. Competition for Franklin BBQ and Stiles Switch?

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 639
      Re:Field Report: Micklethwait Craft Meats In Austin Texas Mon, 12/24/12 2:28 PM (permalink)
      Twinwillow

Hmm. Competition for Franklin BBQ and Stiles Switch?

Perhaps, with Austin's population now just under 1.8 million there's still plenty room for good smoked meat. And any place in town that cares enough about their food to make their sausage from scratch is always going to see a register bulging with greenbacks.

Bad part: brisket is only available for supper. I normally only eat bbq at lunchtime, it's just how I was raised. Will report back if I can make it down there for pm service.

mcguirejohnr

• Total Posts: 111
        Re:Field Report: Micklethwait Craft Meats In Austin Texas Thu, 12/27/12 4:03 PM (permalink)
        Darn it...I was just down there and had not yet heard of this place.  I'll get by next visit for sure.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com