Fig Salad

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13503
2003/07/25 19:49:05 (permalink)

Fig Salad

My figs are getting ready to come one and I had a friend in San Diego take me to a restaurant that served fig salad. I am not sure how they did it but it was really good. I would appreciate any thoughts on fresh fig salad.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

5 Replies Related Threads

jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Fig Salad 2003/07/28 16:45:57 (permalink)
    Here's some ideas:

-Stuff the fresh figs with a mixture of whipped cream cheese, toasted walnuts & chopped crystallized ginger. Serve on lightly dressed greens.

-Toss spinach, bits of mild goat cheese (like chevre), chopped fresh figs, pine nuts and blueberries with a dressing made of lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce, honey & a pinch of five-spice powder.

-Toss cold, cooked rice with chopped figs, golden raisins, chopped peanuts & cilantro with a raspberry vinagrette. I don't know, maybe leave out the cilantro & use something else.

Good eating!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Fig Salad 2003/07/28 22:09:29 (permalink)
    We were given a fig tree this Spring and it looks like it 's going to produce about a dozen figs. We have it in a huge pot and plan to bring it indoors for the Winter - it sometimes gets below zero here.

Question: how do you stuff a fig? Like how do you cut it open to do the
    stuffing? JZs recipes sound great, we look forward to trying them. Also, had a fig tart once, do you have any experience with making that?

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Fig Salad 2003/07/29 08:16:41 (permalink)
    I have a great big fig tree on my property that is already ready and hanging with figs !!! the problem is ...... I HATE FIGS !

Soooooooo, I hope ya'll come up with some good suggestions as to what to do with these figs !! I'll be watching carefully !!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    RE: Fig Salad 2003/07/29 19:16:27 (permalink)
    JessicaC: Thanks a lot for your recipe on the fig salad. It is exactally what I was looking forward to. I will do that with the figs off my fig tree. I had this first in a small restaurant in extreme southern CA.

In addition it was mentioned that there was some concern about the plant freezing. We have had it in east Tennessee for many years and it ain't froze yet. It gets pretty chilly here with temps around zero.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Fig Salad 2003/08/07 00:02:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

I have a great big fig tree on my property that is already ready and hanging with figs !!! the problem is ...... I HATE FIGS !

Soooooooo, I hope ya'll come up with some good suggestions as to what to do with these figs !! I'll be watching carefully !!

SC, you posted this while I was away, and I just saw it. I hope it's not too late, but I have an excellent recipe for your figs:

Pick as many figs as you can that are not yet quite ripe.
    Place figs in several zip lock type bags, as many as will fit in each one.
    Put all bags in a large shipping box filled with styro-popcorn.
    Ship OVERNIGHT to Bushie, Round Rock, TX.

This recipe has always worked for me, and I hope it will for you.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1