Film re: NJ Hot Dog vendor (and a train-chaser)

Author
hilldweller
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
2003/10/05 04:44:59 (permalink)

Film re: NJ Hot Dog vendor (and a train-chaser)

A movie named The Station Agent just opened to rave reviews.

After reading that one of the characters was a hot-dog vendor in New Jersey, I thought that John Fox might appreciate it.

And after reading Al-The Mayor-Bowen's comments about train-chasing, I thought he'd appreciate know that the main character is a train-chaser (if I understood one reviewer's comments correctly) who moves into an abandoned rail depot in Newfoundland, NJ.

From the NY Times review:
quote:
In one [scene,] Joe drives next to a train, while Fin, a quiet smile on his face, catches the locomotive with his video camera.

The director Tom McCarthy says in an interview:
quote:
[I was] introduced to the subculture of railfans, which is a term for people who are obsessed with the history and culture of the American railroad, and train-chasers, who are people who film trains. Most of all, I began to see how much trains are a part of the fabric of our culture.”

[url='http://thestationagent.com/home.html']The Station Agent web site[/url]

[url='http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/the_station_agent/']The Station Agent Trailer (requires Quicktime)[/url]

[url='http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheStationAgent-1126124/']Rotten Tomatoes Reviews of The Station Agent[/url]

Rotten Tomatoes lists 33 out of 34 positive reviews and gives the movie a 97% out of 100% on its Tomatometer rating scale (Fresh Tomato!)

4 Replies Related Threads

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Film re: NJ Hot Dog vendor (and a train-chaser) 2003/10/08 11:03:48 (permalink)
    I'm still waiting for the film version of 'Confederacy of Dunces'. A terrific novel in which the main charactor is employed for a while as a hot dog vendor in New Orleans, and of course he eats most of his fair.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Film re: NJ Hot Dog vendor (and a train-chaser) 2003/10/08 14:25:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

I'm still waiting for the film version of 'Confederacy of Dunces'. A terrific novel in which the main charactor is employed for a while as a hot dog vendor in New Orleans, and of course he eats most of his fair.

He is also an employee of Levy Pants where his co-worker Miss Trixie, the befuddled seceratary, becomes his co conspirator in mayhem.

That movie may eventually come out, but the problem has always been, apparently, that it is so "New Orleans Centric" that finding a widespread audience is going to be extremely difficult. It is hard
    to translate to film wonderful characters like Officer Mancuso and his mother, and Myra Mynkoff, and even harder to get the diction/accent thing to a point where people will get it. The rights to that movie have changed hands a number of times and a number of articles have come out here over the years in the Picayune and Gambit (excellent local weekly) about the trials and tribulations of the potential filmakers. Hell, as great as that book is, it would have never gotten published without the an extremely determined mother and the literary weight of Walker Percy and his great bookstore owning cohort Rhoda Faust (Maple Street Books in New Orleans).
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Film re: NJ Hot Dog vendor (and a train-chaser) 2003/10/08 16:00:58 (permalink)
    I see a dark future for this train-chasing character...He will retire...then be a headliner on the Dr.Phil SHow... then appear in the "Little Purple Pill" commercials.
    Then he'll start a restaurant in the station serving a mixed menu of Mexican Sushi and Lobster Pizza with BBQ Sauce on Chezz-Wits. Cane Sugar Dr Pepper will be the only beverage on the chart. Something for everyone.[|)] AND 20 years from now he will have a one-night T V Reunion of his railfan buddies...on NBC's Dateline with Barbara Walter's interviewing him about his encounter with an Amtrak locomotive that triggered the whole damn story in the first place.
    Film at Eleven.
    AL
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Film re: NJ Hot Dog vendor (and a train-chaser) 2003/10/08 16:23:16 (permalink)
    Al, she will make you cry. Don't do it." />
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1