Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey!

Author
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1154
2009/06/13 15:41:06 (permalink)

Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey!

I posted my review on another website, so I'm going to cheat, and copy and paste it below:

Henri's Hotts Barbeque
1003 Black Horse Pike (Route 322, at the 54 overpass)
Folsom NJ 08037
(609)270-7268

Let me just start by saying that good BBQ, Barbecue or Barbeque - spell it any way you want and define it any way you want - is extremely difficult to find anywhere here in South Jersey. Most places just don't do it right. Some people are forced to go to a chain - or they don't know any better, simply because some of these little places just come and go.

I first  had the pleasure of meeting Doug Henri and his wife Ruthie last year when they had their truck and smoker at the Arts in the Park event at Smithville Park in Mt. Holly. We were mesmerized by the ribs in the smoker and found Doug and Ruthie to be two of the friendliest catering/food/restaurant people we've met. I tasted Doug's ribs, chopped pork, and fried whiting at that time, and Ruthie turned me on to some of the best macaroni and cheese in memory. I thought I'd never see these two or their food again, because at that time, they just only did catering and I believe they also have a take-out in Riverside. However, their new restaurant has opened and this is exactly what South Jersey needs. Doug's big smoker takes residence outside of the restaurant and just off the Black Horse Pike. You cannot miss seeing it or smelling it if it's fired up! The restaurant itself, which appeared to have been Tom & Dee's Pizza Palace previously, and who knows what else before that, sits on a "lonelier" stretch of the Black Horse Pike, just before the Green Terrace Motel. We like this section, because it's an area that, for the most part, has stayed more "Old South Jersey". But it's just a matter of time...

PLEASE excuse the poor quality of the pictures. All I had was the camera on my Env2 cellphone...

The interior is very clean, and you can sit in a nice little room in a booth. There are flat-screened TVs and sports memorabilia on the walls.

The food! This is what we got on May 3, 2009: I got the brisket platter. First of all, I saw Doug pulling briskets off the smoker and am so happy and satisfied to know that I got a piece of what I saw coming off there!

With my platter came corn on the cob and corn bread. My boyfriend, Brian, ordered the fried whiting platter. That also came with the corn bread and the corn on the cob.

We also shared a large side of Ruthie's macaroni and cheese. The picture doesn't do one bit of justice to the macaroni and cheese, so I'm not going to even post it.  The corn bread was absolutely one of the moistest and slightly-sweetest pieces of corn bread we have ever tasted. You know how corn bread usually is dry, and you can't wait to get some drink in your mouth to wash it down? Not so here.

Before I go on, I've got to tell you that the brisket almost brought tears to my eyes. It was that good. The brisket appears dry, but it was anything but! I highly, totally and completely recommend this brisket. And make sure your sauce is on the side so you can appreciate this for what it is. Dip all you want in Doug's home made sauce (which he plans to bottle), but order it on the side! The brisket was so full of flavor and so tender that it nearly drove me crazy. Brian said he was ordering that the next time! He enjoyed his fish very much, though, and I tasted it and liked the crunch quite a bit, and the flavor was very mild. It really was cooked perfectly, too.

The corn on the cob was frozen, and Brian liked it, but I really would  much rather wait until Jersey corn comes out. I know I have a long wait, but it's just how I am with local food.

Now...that macaroni and cheese. I've really never had anything like this. I make a mean macaroni and cheese - I know this - but this was what I call magical macaroni and cheese. Of course Ruthie will never reveal the recipe, but I know there is more than one type of cheese in there. And something else...something else! What IS it? It's fantastic! What more can I say except to try it. Not overly creamy, not dry.

I think the iced tea is home made. It's REAL good. And don't even get me started on that Red Velvet cake! This is no Duncan Hines mix, people! Ruthie has someone do a little baking for her and I want to meet that woman! This cake - I can't resist just throwing in a few words about it - is moist, not too sweet, not over-the-top, just right for ending a meal. Again, not a good picture (especially with some of the Red Velvet cake pictures I've seen on here!!) But here it is anyway, with a bite taken out.

Next time, ribs for me. Ribs. It's $19 for a full rack, so it's not a horrifyingly expensive meal.

Boy, the above picture sure looks BLUE, huh!

And by the way, Doug plans to add Texas-style sausage to the menu soon. You definitely don't see that anywhere around here!

Henri's Hotts Barbeque is open Tuesday through Sunday noon to 8:00 PM. We'll be back...soon.
post edited by harriet1954 - 2009/06/13 16:00:18

14 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/13 16:06:22 (permalink)
    Good detailed report, Harriet.  It's great to find a good, new BBQ spot. 

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/13 16:38:37 (permalink)
    Gotta get there soon to try that succulent looking BRISKET!!
    The "real thing" is so hard to find down here in South Jersey...
    Chef Charles in Egg Harbor Township suddenly closed earlier this year..
    Any slight chance they've got BEEF RIBS ?

nice report, gal pal !!
    Hope you are enjoying your Ship Bottom Arts Festival tomorrow... 
    post edited by ellen4641 - 2009/06/13 16:40:51
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/13 17:16:11 (permalink)
    Looks terrific.  Great pictures.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/13 17:21:16 (permalink)
    Harriet, what a great report. It looks like this place will be worth the trip for me! Actually, it's only 40 miles from my Mom's place in Whiting, NJ. I will keep it in mind next time I'm down there. 
    post edited by agnesrob - 2009/06/13 17:25:52
    harriet1954
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/13 20:24:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, you guys. El, to answer your question about beef ribs, they don't appear to be on the regular menu, but it looks like he does them for catering. I would call them and talk to Ruthie or Doug and ask about if they plan to ever put them on the menu! I'm serious! They are SO NICE and always open to reasonable suggestions.

agnesrobb, my boyfriend has or had an aunt who lives or lived in Whiting. We drove through there a few times and I had never been through there. He remarked that all the stores and everything were practically brand new in "downtown" Whiting.

A colleague from work who's a BBQ fanatic took the ride down there today with his family. I just got the email from him. He said that his wife adored the brisket and said it was much better than Sweet Lucy's in Philly (and they LOOOOOVE Sweet Lucy's). Andrew has twins, a boy and girl, who are 9. Ian liked his ribs but found the heat from the sauce became overwhelming. His daughter, Paige, has Rett syndrome and is unable to walk, talk or feed herself, but knows good BBQ! Andrew told me the sauce was too hot for her as well. I suggested to Andrew that maybe they were just given the hot version of the sauce -- I mean, I don't know, because the sauce I got on the side with my brisket was not hot. I told him he has to speak up, and that they are very accommodating. He said that his wife and Paige loved the macaroni and cheese. It really is that good.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/14 10:10:22 (permalink)
    You can't tease us about the mac & cheese & then not post a picture.

We used to live in Mays Landing, so I am quite familiar with the Black Horse Pike. How far is Henri's from there?
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/14 10:19:40 (permalink)
    Harriet, yes, they've opened quite a few new stores. It is mostly retirees but they have been trying to attract more families. It is a nice area and still close to the shore.
    russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/16 13:34:08 (permalink)
    ellen4641

Gotta get there soon to try that succulent looking BRISKET!!
    The "real thing" is so hard to find down here in South Jersey...
    Chef Charles in Egg Harbor Township suddenly closed earlier this year..
    Any slight chance they've got BEEF RIBS ?

nice report, gal pal !!
    Hope you are enjoying your Ship Bottom Arts Festival tomorrow... 

To Both Ellen and Harriet--first thanks for all the good chat in PM's----Arts Festival was nice--BUT---ensuing visit to Ben's Extreme BBQ in Forked River-----minimal at best ---Ellen the burnt ends were exactly as you described ---whacked and hacked into itty bitty mush---even though they use one of the best smokers in the business---Southern Pride---they don't have a handle on how to really use it to max effect---maybe because Ben has gone back to flying and is in Malaysia and son is now running op with young friend----heavy metal is music d'jour---baby backs and shoulder were of very good quality but lacking real Q gusto---when asked what wood they used they said Oak and didn't know which type---and when asked about hickory he said they usually use it but couldn't get anymore from local supplier hence the missing robust Q flavor of hickory and an almost flavorless product result from oak--some of best Q I have ever had is a combo of hickory and white oak---but not straight oak-----Ellen I did not see a beef rib on menu---maybe a special----sauces were pretty good ---reminiscent of Corky's--Memphis style---had two sides and the most questionable cornbread ever more like Indian Pudding than cornbread----cole slaw o.k. seemed like out of Brooklyn in 5 lb bucket and worst mac and cheese ever---think it may have been Kraft out blue box---vapid and flavorless at best----------no return visit planned---however,Harriet,this joint looks like real deal and if I start jonesing for Q and can justify a 160 mile rt G and I will jump in car and go!
    Once again----------thanks.

Russ

FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/18 18:17:56 (permalink)
    Oh my Gawd, not only is this a fabulous trip report, but you may just make me get in the car and go over the river sometime!

There's a new place in Malvern PA I want to try as well.

Thanks again for an outstanding report!

DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/18 22:26:49 (permalink)
    Russ thanks for the heads up about Ben's. I've been meaning to get there but now I can skip it. Have you been to the Hickory Hog on Rt 88 in Point Pleasant? I'm no BBQ expert by a long shot but it seemed good if only by NJ standards. www.thehickoryhog.com

Dave
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/18 22:27:53 (permalink)
    Harriet,
    I may have to make a trip down to that place if you enjoyed it that much.

Dave
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/06/19 09:09:02 (permalink)
    RUSS:
    Great follow up on your visit to BEN'S extreme BBQ !
    Yeah, I tried to warn you about those burnt ends , lol !!

Was there much business when you were there?
    It seems to be a bit of an odd place to me...

You asked a lot of good questions about their wood types... you really know your stuff, Russ!

Their new 2nd location may even be odder...
    it's inside "friendly's bar and grill", which is also on Rt. 9, just north of Forked River, and just past the Baskin Robbins drive thru...
    Lots of cars outside there, but they could be for other stores in the shopping center; hard to tell....  but this location looks like they have way more seating..
    BUT the signage is TERRIBLE, very subtle..... (you would need a magnifying glass to see that the Friendly's bar and grill is now serving the Ben's BBQ..)

I will post the pics of my beef ribs I had there,
    as soon as I can dig them up!!!
    (it was about a year or so ago...)
    harriet1954
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/07/02 15:42:28 (permalink)
    Sorry for taking like almost three weeks to respond to the comments I had on this thread. Thanks to everybody who complimented me. I really eat that up (heh). OK, stricken_detective, if you insist on a lousy, blurry shot of some fantastic macaroni & cheese, there ya have it:

Based on this picture, I would never try this, if it were someone else's picture. It doesn't even look good. But, ohhhhhh, it WAS good.

The distance from Mays Landing (and for a laugh, I Mapquested it from the Famous Dave's location in Mays Landing! Ha!) is around 17 miles. Folsom is pretty much considered Hammonton when it comes to online directions.

We'd like to go back but now that it's summer, we go to different places and try different things. The summer shore season has begun, and I'll be honest, we try to stay away from the shore during the season because it's TOO DAMN CROWDED! Although we'd love to visit Ellen...
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Finally - Great BBQ in South Jersey! 2009/07/02 17:48:59 (permalink)
    Thank you, Harriet for the nice mention!!
    I'd love to have you visit me & my AC area...!!!

I may tell Henri Hotts to make me up some BEEF RIBS for a bogus catering event....(I'll pretend I have an event going on just so they could make me up a batch, lol.....  whatever their minimum order IS !)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1