Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics.

Author
Culinary Wanderlust
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
2007/05/14 15:08:20 (permalink)

Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics.

Slightly disappointed by Puckett's not having their meat and three combo available, Carly and I scowered the display cases for some sort of substitution sustenance. Passing on the breakfast buffet, we went with an unremarkable ham and biscuit sandwich and a fairly mediocre cinnamon raisin bun draped with sugary goodness. I've had better calorie absorbed pastry, but it was a strong way to start the official odysessy. Michael came by with the camera crew in tow and sampled a bit of this roll. He seemed to not be too impressed by it and agreed with my assessment.

The crew behind the counter seemed irritated by our presence at their establishment. Perhaps, it was the German film crew or the throng of roadfoodies examining their meals before they started tasting its contents. Regardless, this might be their typical personalities and if so, we had a truly authentic Puckett's experience. As I reflect on this development, I began to appreciate the event that unfolded before me. People coming from all around from different walks of life to congregate over the one interest that united us all.

Food.

12 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10481
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/05/16 09:55:35 (permalink)
    I obviously had a much better experience at Puckett's than you did. I really enjoyed the ham biscuit I ate (plus the blackberry cobbler) and I didn't have any problem with their crew. Maybe the fact that I was at the front of the line had something to do with this.

Keep the great report coming!
    rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/05/16 19:48:20 (permalink)
    Cul/wan, you seem to wanna entertain us with some spicy word crafting. Sorry your experience was so disappointing.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/05/17 09:51:40 (permalink)
    I would say Puckett's was my ordering low point, but I enjoyed everything I had and everything I shared or sampled. As our first stop, and my first Roadfood trip, I didn't realize the pressure of the time/line/sampling restraints. We had 45 minutes of time, 50 folks in line and the menu was often after the ordering prompting low numbers on my part. We also were sorta in between meal times and after the reckless abandon our table dsiplayed both ordering and consuming at the Loveless, I ordered lighter than I would have liked, and then flat ran out of time. I more than made up for that error at the next 2 stops. I did notice the employees at the Henpeck were really into our visit and were making suggestions, laughing with us and generally along for the ride.
    Culinary Wanderlust
    Junior Burger
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/06/05 18:38:04 (permalink)
    I apologize for the lack of recent postings. Things have been topsy-turvy lately including, but not limited to: Quitting my job, Looking for a new place of employment, Realizing the frivolity of tying to sell myself in interviews, Moving a friend from Chicago to D.C., and other items. So, anyhow, back to the important matters at hand, the continuation of the roadfood.com trip.

After feeling flushed with fried goodness so early in the morning, we climbed on the bus, sat in our seats, and antagonized how we could possibly eat more as we ventured forth to Henpeck. As one of the benefits/drawbacks of sitting at the back of the coach bus is the digestion/anticipation of waiting in the winding line filled with ravenous foodies bursting at the seams.

The counter service at the Henpeck market echoed the atmosphere. Organized chaos, controlled frenzy, and pleasant decorum could not be a further antonym then Puckett's surly service. Energetic, welcoming, and warm are just a few descriptives to recreate the decadent dishes about to tantalize our tastebuds from the Henpeck Market/Counter Service. As we waited in line, fellow foodies played an informal game of telephone debating which morsel to sample. The piece de resistance of Henpeck is its Pimento Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

The sandwich, which Carly and I turbo-charged with an addition of tomato, bacon, and an artisian bread imbued a spicy sweet combination. The peppery goodness of the pimento neutralized the rich intensity of gooey cheezy mess.

We tried the recommendation of a side of cornbread salad in a questionably massive container labeled small. Its creaminess was on par to the Hot Brown. We could only take a few bites before we shoved pushed away the remainder of the styrofoam packaging.

Considering we are gluttons, Carly and I decided to sample a slice of this strawberry cake. Its pink allure lured us just as the anglerfish seduces its prey with its shiny antenna. The taste was fine, yet unremarkable. This was a good thing so we could have room for the first of our meat and three dishes at Sylvan Park.

Culinary Wanderlust
    Junior Burger
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/06/05 18:40:12 (permalink)
    At this point, feeling bloated and delirious, we reached the moment I dreamed of many times since the announcement of this journey, the legendary meat-and-three combinations. Prior to the visit to Sylvan Park, I had never feasted on the cafeteria style legends of the south. Ecstatic and enthralled with the atmosphere, imagine a bus load of foodies salivating over the smell of fried goodness seeping through the main doors and the "normal customers" reactions to this unnatural unbridled enthusiasm. Unintentional hilarity at its finest! And considering we entered here at the peak of lunchtime, packed would be an understatement to describe this southern-fried joint. So, we had to double up with other roadfoodies in a snug booth. They were a lovely middle-aged couple residing in the Chicago suburbs, so we had a lot to talk about concerning food in our area. Reluctantly, I admit that their names escape me, but you could not have asked for more decent company. They started roadfooding back in the late 1960s and bless their hearts, they continue it today. I viewed it as an honor to break the roadfood bread, well more than that in this case, the roadfood fried okra with them.

All four of us ordered a meat-and-three combo. Carly and I shared the catfish and sides dish seen above here. The catfish had a light sauteed fry to it; not too rich with heavy breading, but enough for there to be some glistening on our forks as we gingerly teared itself from the filets to our metallic tines. The mac and cheese, which we have all heard before is a vegetable in the south, had a delightfully bland taste that matched its looks with a texture beyond the soft creamy pasta found at your franchised Olive Garden. The biggest disappointment went to the fried okra. Not crisp, very malleable, as if it had just been nuked in a microwave. Its flavor dripped with grease, instead of the vegetable's innate flavor. At this point, I felt bummed about my first meat-and-three dealio. But, then I sampled the turnip greens. Talk about flavorful! These leafy bad boys emanated a rich porky essence that opened my taste buds to the glory of vegetables stewed in porcine parts. The large portion of greens seemed way too small. I wanted to take a side of greens to go, but imagined that might not be the best idea considering we had three more stops to make today. To this point in the official trip, that bowl held the best item in my opinion.

At this point, the German film crew found Carly and I. We were probably the only serious foodies under 30. They interviewed us for ten minutes about our passions towards food and travel. Both of us had great soundbites, so maybe we will make it into the film.

Carly brought to my attention the homemade banana pudding with handcrafted vanilla wafers. Since we were the last to find a table, we were the last to find a server after an unusually tedious wait. We had to take the banana pudding to go. After being the last few people left not on the bus, we paid and ran to the coach. The picture above shows the second before she sampled this sinfully sweet dessert. Honestly, this pudding was crazy tasty. The crumbly vanilla infused the banana flavor. Traditionally, banana overtakes any meal, but with this vanilla sprinkled in through mashing, it was not overpowering; we were besides ourselves. Honestly, tears almost came to my eyes with the feeling of euphoric bliss on my lips, tongue and throat.

I heart Tennessee and all of its culinary contributions.
    Culinary Wanderlust
    Junior Burger
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/06/05 18:42:42 (permalink)

With the morning tour over, we recognized we were almost done with our insane eating adventure. A few people left the morning tour and some newbies joined the afternoon section. Yet, a majority of foodies figured, well if we are here, we might as well go all the way and gorge to our arterties distress.
    The one intriguing note of Prince's Hot Chicken involves its location and clientle. Its location is in a predominately African American neighborhood with a predominately African American customer base. Take this information into consideration and imagine a coach bus filled to the brim with middle aged individuals predominately of the Caucausian persuasion lining up in the sweltering humidity, in an establishment with a small, virtually non-existent, fan. The limited seating and teal interior juxtaposed with the hot chicken's red tones proved to be a feast for the eyes.

In a fairly long and not too interesting story, the group spent a total of an hour and a half waiting for everyone to be served chicken considering the time needed in the kitchen to construct these legendary flavorful fowl. As we got to know the roadfoodies better, the meals slowly came to the forefront, ready for prime consumption.

Generally, my stomach fears the spicy and hot, I needed to trump this phobia so I could partake in this well-spoken chicken. There were four levels of spice from mild, medium, hot, and very hot. We decided to go for the namesake and share the hot chicken with a group of equally full people. This bird was hot. Yet, not to the point that I wanted to cry or even to the point of discomfort. The spices came through and accentuated the moist flavor of the meat of the bird. Delightfully tasty and well worth the wait.

We meandered through the last two spots on the tour: Swett's Cafeteria, and Monell's. Since I was in a food coma, my photos for this trip were awful and not worthy of including. At Swett's, Carly and I shared a meat and three minus the meat consisting of a terrific squash casserole, sweet potatoes, and bitter, bitter greens with a side of sweet potato pie. At Monell's, a family dining establishment involving the take and pass to the left meal, chicken and the side salads including a monster slaw were among the highlights.

This is all for the tour. There will be new updates soon.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10481
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/06/05 21:12:41 (permalink)
    CW-
    I was wondering what had happened to the rest of the report. I am glad that you were able to finish. Thanks for all the great photos and for bringing back memories of the trip.
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/06/05 23:26:44 (permalink)
    CW,
    As for country groceries, your experience validates my own. I've never been a fan of Puckett's, except for the ambience. Henpeck, on the other hand, I have dined at at least weekly for the past five years. Many people like the cheese sandwiches, but for myself, "the usual" will include at least one tamale. I've had two this week. What is today? Oh, Tuesday? Yeah, that's about right.
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/07/10 19:27:42 (permalink)
    Neat thread... I hope it expands, with more comments. I will be in Nashville for a few days, near the end of the month. I have been debating where to spend my calories wisely.

Puckett's sounds like something of a bummer, as my gal is from Wisconsin, and I want to sell her on southern style hospitality. Maybe Henpeck will get the nod in Franklin.

I know one place that is a MUST for me, that wasn't on the agenda for you guys. SIR PIZZA!!! As a child, there was a lone Sir Pizza in Atlanta, and I thought it was the best thing going. Didn't even know there were others, until the power of the net. There's one close to my pal's in Nashville, and it's a must-do. I will see if my childhood memories are valid. If ya didn't know already, Sir Pizza has a bit of a cult following on here.

I was curious if one can order, just chicken breasts at Prince'sI would like to take three or four home.

Hope to hear more from everyone...

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/07/10 19:49:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ULVER

Neat thread... I hope it expands, with more comments. I will be in Nashville for a few days, near the end of the month. I have been debating where to spend my calories wisely.

Puckett's sounds like something of a bummer, as my gal is from Wisconsin, and I want to sell her on southern style hospitality. Maybe Henpeck will get the nod in Franklin.

I know one place that is a MUST for me, that wasn't on the agenda for you guys. SIR PIZZA!!! As a child, there was a lone Sir Pizza in Atlanta, and I thought it was the best thing going. Didn't even know there were others, until the power of the net. There's one close to my pal's in Nashville, and it's a must-do. I will see if my childhood memories are valid. If ya didn't know already, Sir Pizza has a bit of a cult following on here.

I was curious if one can order, just chicken breasts at Prince'sI would like to take three or four home.

Hope to hear more from everyone...

I guess it would be OK but somehow, cold hot chicken breast just not appeal to me. I think I would totally enjoy them the most right out of the fryer.

Paul E. Smith
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/07/11 09:45:30 (permalink)
    Um...some memories are best left untested. My experiences with Sir Pizza have been marginal at best... On the other hand, I have to agree with PP about the tamales at Henpeck. I brought a couple of them home last weekend and they were excellent (as were the ham biscuits and pimiento cheese)!!
    ULVER
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: Finally, Nashville 2007 Trip With Pics. 2007/07/11 13:33:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pogophiles

Um...some memories are best left untested. My experiences with Sir Pizza have been marginal at best... On the other hand, I have to agree with PP about the tamales at Henpeck. I brought a couple of them home last weekend and they were excellent (as were the ham biscuits and pimiento cheese)!!

OK, please explain the marginal experiences at Sir Pizza. I must have admit,things coulda gone downhill since 1971!!!

I just recall back then, all the toppings were seemingly magically meshed, into one giant cover of ingredients. Very unique. (Pictured)

I was curious which location left you sour Nashville has two Sir Pizza locations. Thanks~!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1