Firearm lovers.

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 11 of 21, messages 601 to 660 of 1251
eruby
  • Total Posts : 585
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 09/21/10 3:29 PM
It does have the synthetic stock and will pretty much be for home defense.  I have a coach gun, but if I ever needed a shotgun, I'd rather have the 6 shells and not have to worry about reloading and cocking the rabbit ears.

It has the 18" barrel so I don't think it would be good for either hunting or trap/skeet. 

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17819
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 09/21/10 3:51 PM
eruby

It does have the synthetic stock and will pretty much be for home defense.  I have a coach gun, but if I ever needed a shotgun, I'd rather have the 6 shells and not have to worry about reloading and cocking the rabbit ears.

It has the 18" barrel so I don't think it would be good for either hunting or trap/skeet. 

If it's for home defense you might be interested in a pistol grip. I understand these are pretty good add-ons:

http://www.popguns.com/shotgunaccessories/pistolgrips.htm

eruby
Re:Firearm lovers. - Wed, 09/22/10 8:22 AM
Michael Hoffman

If it's for home defense you might be interested in a pistol grip. I understand these are pretty good add-ons:

http://www.popguns.com/shotgunaccessories/pistolgrips.htm
I've shot others with a pistol grip a few times and I didn't like it at all.  I think the one in your link, with the optional foregrip, would be a little easier to handle than the ones I fired without a foregrip.

I'll have to look into it, but am much more comfortable with the full stock. 

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Wed, 09/22/10 12:08 PM
Always go with what feels the most comfortable. As always, your life depends on it.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Fri, 10/1/10 6:04 AM
Have any of you had any experience with the Russian "Saiga" 12 ga semi-auto shotguns? I have been thinking about one for awhile, and would appreciate any 'serious' input about reliability, and any 'history of note'. The 10 round box Mag interests me also. This would be a short-barreled Home Defense weapon replacing a Savage Pump 12 ga that will go to a Grandson.

A second request is for info about the ROSSI "Replica Winchester 1892" lever-action. 44 Mag, 16" Stainless (also in a 20"). I see them selling for $400-$450 and would like any input you may have regarding this 'Backyard' deer-gun??

ALSO, Has anyone had any direct experience dealing with the major on-line firearms dealers, purchasing of a weapon, GunBroker.com or GunsAmerica? or others like them?

eruby
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Fri, 10/1/10 11:40 AM
mayor al

Have any of you had any experience with the Russian "Saiga" 12 ga semi-auto shotguns? I have been thinking about one for awhile, and would appreciate any 'serious' input about reliability, and any 'history of note'. The 10 round box Mag interests me also. This would be a short-barreled Home Defense weapon replacing a Savage Pump 12 ga that will go to a Grandson.

A second request is for info about the ROSSI "Replica Winchester 1892" lever-action. 44 Mag, 16" Stainless (also in a 20"). I see them selling for $400-$450 and would like any input you may have regarding this 'Backyard' deer-gun??

ALSO, Has anyone had any direct experience dealing with the major on-line firearms dealers, purchasing of a weapon, GunBroker.com or GunsAmerica? or others like them?

I cannot give you much on the Saiga except to say I think it's a cool looking shotgun, and that in the People's Republic of Maryland there's a 7 day waiting period as it's not treated like a regular cash-and-carry shotgun.

I think that's a pretty good price for the Rossi (for Maryland anyway) and I think it's always good to have a rifle that shoots handgun ammo, esp the .44 mag.

I've bought a couple of times on both gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com and have never had any problems.  Like on ebay, do a little research and ask questions.  If it doesn't look/feel/smell right, it probably isn't.  I've never been on GunsAmerica.

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Fri, 10/1/10 1:15 PM
I appreciate your comments. I am at  the looking but not ready to buy yet stage...Just got the new snowblower, so 'toy-shopping' for me is on hold for a little while. This is a good time to 'research the products!.
After years in California, I have come to appreciate Indiana's attitude towards  the whole 2nd Amendment scene.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/3/10 12:42 AM
Al, the Saiga is a really good(strong) shotgun. It is based on the AK-47 platform. My SIL has one and I've shot his several times. It not a trap or skeet gun but will work fine for birds or deer with slugs. Look for/at the site Saiga-12.com.

As for the Rossi 1892 I have one in .357mag, it is a blast to shoot. Probably my favorite .357 of which I have a few.

I've bought a few guns off of gunbroker, never had a problem.

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/3/10 12:04 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the feedback. Both the Saiga and the Winchester Replica would have Home-Defense at the top of the 'priority' list for us.
I am weighing the 357 vs the 44 mag in making a choice. Price is about the same. Both come in a Stainless 16 inch or 20 inch barrel version.  I am thinking more along the 44 mag 16' right now, but the 357 would keep the same caliber as my handgun and that could have an advantage when I deal with a very low volume inventory in the ammo box.
The Saiga 12 ga would be a 10 shot home defense wall buster. Alternating Double 'OO' Buckshot with slugs would be as good a crimestopper as I can think of in rural woody Southern Indiana. Our County Sheriff has said several times to the 'Neighborhood Watch groups' that shooting a couple of Burglars is a real deterrent to the rising breaking-in crime rate. I tend to agree with him.

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4719
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/3/10 3:36 PM
mayor al

Alternating Double 'OO' Buckshot with slugs would be as good a crimestopper as I can think of in rural woody Southern Indiana. Our County Sheriff has said several times to the 'Neighborhood Watch groups' that shooting a couple of Burglars is a real deterrent to the rising breaking-in crime rate. I tend to agree with him.

Is it a methamphetamine-fueled crime increase?

Does anyone here have a Henry rifle?  I like the looks (and price) of their .22 lever-action model.

Brad

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/3/10 3:52 PM
Al, if you're going to use a shotgun for home defense you don't need to load any slugs. Really!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/3/10 3:55 PM
Brad_Olson

mayor al

Alternating Double 'OO' Buckshot with slugs would be as good a crimestopper as I can think of in rural woody Southern Indiana. Our County Sheriff has said several times to the 'Neighborhood Watch groups' that shooting a couple of Burglars is a real deterrent to the rising breaking-in crime rate. I tend to agree with him.

Is it a methamphetamine-fueled crime increase?

Does anyone here have a Henry rifle?  I like the looks (and price) of their .22 lever-action model.

Brad

The Henry is an excellent .22, and a really good value.

Edit: I just noticed a local advertisement in which a very good gun shop in Columbus has a .22 Henry lever action for sale at $249.
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Sun, 10/3/10 7:48 PM>

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/3/10 4:39 PM
I saw a beautiful Brass Henry 22 go for $300 at a local estate auction last week. I thought that was a great deal. it sure was a beauty !!

Michael, I guess I am thinking of the 'Slug' as a car-stopper ! Not real serious about that !!

Brad, Yeah the city gangboys and some former 'Deliverance cast-members' seem to think that  this area near the county line (my street) offers some relief from the law enforcement from either county. (not true), as we have regular patrols in the area frequently. However, since I am home most days I see a number of unidentified vans and utility trucks 'cruising' on 'non-thru-traffic-streets' seemingly without purpose. This activates my protectionist attitude quite a bit.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/3/10 5:42 PM
mayor al

Michael, I guess I am thinking of the 'Slug' as a car-stopper ! Not real serious about that !!

Well, you said home defense. That doesn't usually include shooting at anything outside the home. Now, if the car is coming through your living room ... 

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/3/10 6:55 PM
mayor al

I have a Saiga 12 and have put alot of add ons to it. There is alot of extra stuff available for them. It is an AK shotgun. Check out some of the videos on them. If you do decide to pick one up I can talk you thru ot familiar with them. some of the upgrades. www.mdarms.com sells 20 round drums for them and they are 50% off right not and are selling for $75.00. They also sell a VPLUG which replaces the gas adjuster so you can shoot low brass ammo. They can be a little picky if you are not familiar with them. Once you understand them they are great guns. My Son and I have added alot of stuff to ours and it looks pretty mean. I will post a pic tommorow. PM me if you need some information...Russ

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/3/10 7:36 PM
Thanks Russ. I am not at the 'point of purchase' yet. I think the 10 rd Box Mag will do the job for me. I will look at a laser sight (maybe) and a carry-sling.  I'll keep you in the loop when the time comes for delivery.

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Fri, 10/8/10 7:08 PM
UPDATE
 I ordered the Saiga 12 today for delivery to my local dealer to transfer to me. The process went much easier than I thought it would. This was the first time I used the Internet for purchase of a firearm across state lines.

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sat, 10/16/10 2:19 PM
My latest addition, fresh from the box. A Saiga 12 Gauge Semi-Auto with the original 5 rd magazine.

After seeing the potential for excitment here in rural Southern Indiana, my new shotgun showed a little emotional reaction to it's new home !!  Actually that is the optional 10 rd magazine !!! 

I will return shortly with the stock and forearm modifications that I have to install. For those not familiar with the Saiga. It is a Russian Shotgun built on the same operating system (and at the same factory) as the AK rifles. It is imported by the Russian American Amory located just 25 miles from my home....in Scottsburg, Indiana. Further shooting reports will follow. There are hundreds of U-tube video's dealing with this shotgun.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sat, 10/16/10 3:11 PM
Use it (to keep you) in good health.

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sat, 10/16/10 10:59 PM
Very nice!

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 10:25 AM

OK, after a day of breaking in the shotgun  and adding it's new appearance and handling materials, it looks more like what I have been seeking.
Here it is "Right out of the Box", with the factory issued 5 rd Mag.

AND, Here it is this morning, after an evening of stock fitting etc. With the Tapco Stock and forearm, and the 10 rd magazine. It really handles like an AK, if a bit "bigger"!

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13387
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 11:03 AM
burglars beware of the Mayor's residence.  Al, that is a mean piece.

Paul

Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 12:23 PM
Al i think I like the color and forearm on yours better than mine. Did you get the gas adjuster and have you shot it yet?
Indiana is a little safer today. Watch out for Zombies!

Here are a couple shots of my Saiga 12...Russ

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 1:23 PM
Russ
I am considering two more additions/modifications.
1. The multi-port gas port plug. Everything I read of the factory two-hole port says "Up-grade" !
2. I am looking at inexpensive red-dot optics. I think I will wind up with a side mount (left-side rail on the receiver) short laser sight...but am open to a lot of possibilities.

I didn't get a drum, but did go for the 10 rd. mag. How do you like the drum? That's a pretty long rail on top of yours. What is it, and where did you get it?

We shot a bunch of low brass Federal bird shot yesterday to break it in. No problem with feed on #1 gas port position. Will do some pumpkin shooting soon to test the buckshot and slugs.

Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 1:41 PM
If yours shoots the low brass out of the box you will have no problem with Slugs and Buckshot and the gas plug change out might not be necessary. The drum is great but the weight is very heavy with 20 rounds. http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/chaos-extended-quad-rail-system-for-saiga-12-preorder-p-1150.html
The scope I put on was a shotgun 2X that I had lying around. I would use it for deer....Russ

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 3:03 PM
Russ Jackson

The scope I put on was a shotgun 2X that I had lying around. I would use it for deer....Russ

Not in Ohio, unless you can plug it so that it cannot hold more than three rounds of ammunition. Or, were just referring to using the scope for deer?

Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 3:09 PM
They make a 2 shot magazine. http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-12-gauge-2-round-magazine-sgm-tactical-surefire-p-437.html. Do you ever go out to Blackwing Michael?...Russ

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 3:21 PM
Russ Jackson

They make a 2 shot magazine. http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-12-gauge-2-round-magazine-sgm-tactical-surefire-p-437.html. Do you ever go out to Blackwing Michael?...Russ

I'd check with the Division of WIldlife's Law Enforcement section to see whether that would qualify. The fact that one could switch out a two round magazine for a five round magazine might make it illegal.

I get up to Blackwing a couple of times a year to bust a few clays.

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 5:42 PM
I did check the Magazine size limits in Indiana (on-line and with an officer in the field. Except for waterfowl, there are NO limits to the capacity on the gun for hunting. That includes deer and turkey (the only critters I may hunt other than vermin or predetors). Indiana only allows slugs in shotguns for deer...no buckshot. Technically that means I can load up with 10 rounds of #4 shot and nail that turkey  for the holiday dinner !!!  Y'know they can be dangerous when they are only wounded !
Here's the quote from the Indiana DNR website-
"When hunting for migratory game birds and waterfowl (i.e., doves, ducks, geese, woodcock, etc.), it is illegal to use a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler that is incapable of being removed without disassembling the gun. There are no restrictions on magazine capacity for hunting of any other species."

ALSO

" Laser sights are legal for hunting all species."

Russ,
Does your gun have the factory side plate on the receiver? Some of the side-mount optics I see need a plate added, I have the factory plate on, but it doesn't show the screw holes I see in the quick-release side-mount that comes with the optic sight???

Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 6:23 PM
Here is a close up of the other side and this product which I also recommend the bolt on charging handle which fits right over the original...Russ
http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/tromix-bolt-on-charging-handle-p-548.html

Sundancer7
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 6:35 PM
mayor al

I did check the Magazine size limits in Indiana (on-line and with an officer in the field. Except for waterfowl, there are NO limits to the capacity on the gun for hunting. That includes deer and turkey (the only critters I may hunt other than vermin or predetors). Indiana only allows slugs in shotguns for deer...no buckshot. Technically that means I can load up with 10 rounds of #4 shot and nail that turkey  for the holiday dinner !!!  Y'know they can be dangerous when they are only wounded !
Here's the quote from the Indiana DNR website-
"When hunting for migratory game birds and waterfowl (i.e., doves, ducks, geese, woodcock, etc.), it is illegal to use a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler that is incapable of being removed without disassembling the gun. There are no restrictions on magazine capacity for hunting of any other species."

ALSO

" Laser sights are legal for hunting all species."

Russ,
Does your gun have the factory side plate on the receiver? Some of the side-mount optics I see need a plate added, I have the factory plate on, but it doesn't show the screw holes I see in the quick-release side-mount that comes with the optic sight???

Gee whiz Al,. with that gun and the magazine you have, you do not even have to aim.  Just blaze away and you can put enough shot in the air to blow your holiday turkey into turkey burger stuff with lead or whatever.

Paul

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 10/17/10 6:40 PM
Paul-

Russ- The plate on the left side of your gun is what is on mine too. I am wondering if that is sufficient to add the side mount adapter to it directly, or do I need the additional plate as a 'go-between"??

eruby
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Mon, 11/1/10 1:56 PM
Recently picked up this Hopkins & Allen 5-shot in .32 S&W.

Not a great looker, but for $60 delivered to my door (+ $20 or so for new grips) I wanted it.

Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 11/4/10 7:17 AM
I love old revolvers. Have you had a gunsmith check it out? Are you going to shoot it?...Russ

Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 11/4/10 7:39 AM
mayor al

Paul-

Russ- The plate on the left side of your gun is what is on mine too. I am wondering if that is sufficient to add the side mount adapter to it directly, or do I need the additional plate as a 'go-between"??

I think this will work. http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/ak-detachable-double-rail-side-mount-p-367.html

...Russ

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 11/4/10 8:46 AM
RUSS,
I got the UTG 978 quick release side mount from CSS. It fit the original factory mounting rail fine.  Now waiting for the red-green dot sight to try on it.
It is the same one you described. A bit heavy, but will do the job just fine.

Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Fri, 11/5/10 7:25 AM
mayor al

RUSS,
I got the UTG 978 quick release side mount from CSS. It fit the original factory mounting rail fine.  Now waiting for the red-green dot sight to try on it.
It is the same one you described. A bit heavy, but will do the job just fine.

After you zero it in try taking it off and putting it back on and tell me if it is still accurate if you could. Also have you chosen a sling yet?...Russ

eruby
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Fri, 11/5/10 9:48 AM
Russ Jackson

I love old revolvers. Have you had a gunsmith check it out? Are you going to shoot it?...Russ
Not sure if I will shoot it, but if I do, I will definitely have my gunsmith check it out.  Of course I did buy 2 boxes of ammo at the last gun show I attended.  

Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Fri, 11/5/10 9:58 AM
Is the bore clean and the cylinder line up good? If it is tight I would fire it. I have an old Iver Johnson that looks almost exactly like yours...Russ

eruby
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Fri, 11/5/10 10:41 AM
Russ Jackson

Is the bore clean and the cylinder line up good? If it is tight I would fire it. I have an old Iver Johnson that looks almost exactly like yours...Russ
The bore is good and the action works well, with good lock up.  Dry foring is no problem, and it works well with the snap caps.

I will give it a go.

Thanks!

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Fri, 11/5/10 12:24 PM
Ruby and Russ
   I also had an old battered Iver Johnson 38 S&W, lots of rust and a real battered exterior. It's bore was really bad, but it did fire 38 S&W BLANKS just fine, so it was our 4th of July noise maker for many years.

Russ my red-dot sight has been shipped . When I get it mounted I will test it on some water-jugs with slugs. I'll try to photo the mount at the time and will check it for maintaining zero.  I removed the sling terminals when I put on the Tapco stuff. This gun won't be carried much. It is more of a get off my porch sort of thing !!!  I mean if I can't kill it from my deck, it is pretty well assured of a long-life !!  On the other hand, with 50 fruit trees and a bunch of grapes and berries on just under 3 acres, Doing the back deck hunting stand is not quite as 'Urban-Destructive' as it may sound!

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sat, 11/13/10 3:49 PM
Nov 13
I have mounted the side-mount rails (quick release) and the 4 way red/green dot sight. It seems to line up well on dry runs. I will borrow a boresight laser to check the alignment of the sight with the actual aiming point. The boresight fits into the chamber like a 12 ga shell and gives a true visual line-up for the actual aiming point...Then run some slugs thru it to see if it does what the little red-dot says it is doing !

Here is the mounted sight on the Saiga-12 

A couple of closer views of the sight and mount--- 

Finally I have a poor example of the red-circle image (one of four choices- also can be green if desired)
The flash made it hard to get this to show in the photo, but it works fine.

Hopefully I got them right this time. Sorry for the delay in posting the corrected photos.
AL
<message edited by mayor al on Sat, 11/13/10 5:39 PM>

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 11/25/10 1:29 PM
Here are my two Handguns-
A Snubby 357 Rossi SS. I keep it in a bedframe holster within easy reach when things go 'Crash' in the night. Bought new in SoCal,  after things DID go Crash  one night.  It is a six-shooter, with a nice smooth cylinder. Shoots nicely. I keep a speedloader of HP's and one of SnakeShot close by.

The second one is my Tokarev 7.62 pistol, brought home from my 1962 visit to S E Asia.  I have fired about 500 rounds thru it since 1962. Very Loud, Big Flash, and a pretty hot round. It is the Russian original rather than the ChiCom or Warsaw Pact copies.

eruby
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Wed, 12/1/10 2:26 PM
Nice looking .357 mayor al.  I have a 7-shot snubby Taurus, though I think its barrel (2") is a bit shorter than your Rossi.

I took my nephew shooting last Friday, and he didn't mind the kick of the .357 over the .38s we also fired. 

I have a CZ82, but have been looking at the Tokarov for some time.  The C&R may have been a mistake.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Wed, 12/1/10 3:41 PM
Mr. Mayor, I ran into a guy today who was hunting deer with a Saiga. But he'd had a rifled barrel fitted for firing sabot  slugs.

I used a .460 Smith & Wesson to take a fat doe this morning.

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Wed, 12/1/10 6:40 PM
Congratulations Michael !  I envy your filling the freezer with Doe Venison ! I don't know if I will ever take a walk in the woods with my Saiga...But sitting on the back deck watching Bambi eat my fruit trees may have me take a shot or two.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Wed, 12/1/10 7:05 PM
Thanks. But actually, I just kept the backstraps and the liver. I donated the rest to an organization that provides venison to food pantries.

Sundancer7
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Wed, 12/1/10 7:34 PM
Michael Hoffman

Thanks. But actually, I just kept the backstraps and the liver. I donated the rest to an organization that provides venison to food pantries.

What?  No tenderloin???

Good shooting though and the liver should be excellent.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 12/2/10 8:46 AM
Excellent Michael. We just used the last package of ground venison from last years deer that my S-I-L brought down to us from WI at Christmas . I sure makes fine Chili !!

Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 12/2/10 3:27 PM
Nice Job Michael! Any pictures? You run into a guy with a Saiga while you are toting around that .460 Smith. I like that.

Saiga looks Great Al!
I would use the Saiga to hunt. You could always put a Poly Choke on it.

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 939
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 12/2/10 4:42 PM
eruby

Recently picked up this Hopkins & Allen 5-shot in .32 S&W.

Not a great looker, but for $60 delivered to my door (+ $20 or so for new grips) I wanted it.

That looks exactly like the old S&W .32 that my grandfather kept in his safe (my brother has it now). A little beat up looking, but still in firing condition. This is maybe a copy of that model?

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 12/2/10 5:40 PM
Sundancer7

Michael Hoffman

What?  No tenderloin???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

No tenderloin. I just took the backstraps and the liver, and left the rest for Farmers And Hunters Feeding The Hungry.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 12/2/10 5:48 PM
Russ Jackson

Nice Job Michael! Any pictures? You run into a guy with a Saiga while you are toting around that .460 Smith. I like that.

Thanks. No pictures.

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 12/5/10 1:09 AM
Ahhh some nice reading material as I sit here munching deer bologna courtesy of my SIL.

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sat, 12/18/10 11:17 AM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my Roadfood Firearm Lovers.

Mark

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Sun, 12/19/10 11:34 PM
Thanks Mark.

Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 01/13/11 9:11 AM
mayor al

OK, after a day of breaking in the shotgun  and adding it's new appearance and handling materials, it looks more like what I have been seeking.
Here it is "Right out of the Box", with the factory issued 5 rd Mag.

AND, Here it is this morning, after an evening of stock fitting etc. With the Tapco Stock and forearm, and the 10 rd magazine. It really handles like an AK, if a bit "bigger"!

Have you seen this new Bullpup stock for the Saiga 12  http://www.kushnapup.com/  ? I am sure you like the way the one shown looks but this one is pretty cool Mayor.

...Russ 

<message edited by Russ Jackson on Thu, 01/13/11 9:14 AM>

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 01/13/11 4:20 PM
Yeah, I saw that one and the Kel-Tec that is due out for sale this Spring.  I think my budget for expanding the Bowen Arsenal is pretty well shot  (pun intended) for now.
The Kel-Tech uses two tubes of 7 rounds capacity each for it's magazines, with a selector to choose one tube or the other. Think of 7 rounds of Buckshot, and 7 rounds of slugs available at the flick of a switch !!!

I could like this one a lot, given the chance (and the funds).
http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg

http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/958424.html
<message edited by mayor al on Thu, 01/13/11 4:50 PM>

Sundancer7
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Thu, 01/13/11 5:15 PM
I wish I had one but I am not sure what I would do with it.  I have a lot of weapons but I have never shot them. 
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
<message edited by MikeS. on Sat, 01/15/11 12:49 AM>

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox - Fri, 03/4/11 11:01 PM
Well, We'll bring this thread back to life to ask for any info you regular hunters may have about Hog Hunting.  I have hunted small game and deer in various parts of the country over the years. BUT, I have never been on a Hog-Hunt.
That is about to change.  The two grandfathers , Me and My opposite number in one branch of my family, and my 13 year old grandson will be heading down to Texas at the end of May for a three-day and two-night Hog Hunt on a ranch located near Luling (AND SHINER !!). Hopefully we will schedule in some stops at our favorite BBQ places, and get together with Bushie before or after our hunt time.
They recommend using 12 gauge slug shotguns or heavy caliber (44 magnum) rifles for the dense brushy territory. The hunting is both in-Blinds and Stalking.  I'm not much into hiking the boonies these days so Blind Hunting it will be for me (day and Night). They run a big deer operation, so the Hogs and Varmints are eating into their profits big-time. So they cut the prices by a bunch and get folks to clean out the varmint population for awhile.

I'll use my Saiga and am asking for suggestions as to which slugs (brand and size) work the best from your experiences.
We will also have smaller caliber rifles with us for varmint shooting if that happens while we are in the field.  Lots of Coyotes and other critters these folks are asking us to assist in controlling. But the Hogs are the top of the list. They will clean, skin, and quarter them and we will pack them home in coolers to a butcher here in our area who will finish cutting and freezing the meat ASAP after we return.
I have not done any hunting for ten years, so this is kinda exciting for an old guy...and needless to say the grandson is jumping around ready to go tomorrow !!
Post any thoughts or advice...I will be sure to follow up on it if I can.
AL

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 11 of 21, messages 601 to 660 of 1251