Helpful ReplyHot!Firearm lovers.

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 45
Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/26 16:35:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

As I scroll through this thread it affirms why I enjoy reading posts from you all. My two favorites are my N Frame 41 mag and Detonics 45...Russ

Thanks very much for clarifying this Constitutional point for all of us. I guess this argument is settled.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/26 17:48:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by danimal15

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

As I scroll through this thread it affirms why I enjoy reading posts from you all. My two favorites are my N Frame 41 mag and Detonics 45...Russ

Thanks very much for clarifying this Constitutional point for all of us. I guess this argument is settled.

It's my understanding that the Supremes have ruled in favor of the individual’s right to keep and bear arms a number of times, not just the most recent one against D.C. How many times must it be clarified?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18949
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/26 18:17:04 (permalink)
I just bought a new rifle for which I have absolutely no use. It's a Smith & Wesson M&P 15, AR-type. I bought it for the same reasons ARs are flying off the shelves all over the country. It's in the safe, and, except for when my grandson comes home next month on his pre-deployment leave and takes it for a test ride, that's where it'll be for the foreseeable future.

Me? I like pretty wood, careful bluing and graceful lines. But The ban plans call for expansion of the previous to include just about everything possible.
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/27 05:10:21 (permalink)
I have read all the boards on this and as a new gun owner I seek advice. I went to the local Gun shops and they are all trying to sell me a fire arm . But not listenibg to what I want. I have my permit now in N.C . I did file for a larger fire arm so I could have some lee-way as to my final choice. I want a home protection hand gun, I want some thing with not alot of recoil, as I have broken both wrists in past. I also want a " Crime Deterent" Fire arm. The past comment that stuck with me is the sound of a chunk a chunk loading the gun will make a criminal run. I hope I would never have any need for protection of my home. But as another poster said , it is a way to take a large person that would do harm to you and family, and making it equal. The Wabbit family has had crime coming closer to home, We have become complacent in our safe neighbor hood, Bad people have cars, We have discused it and it is time to purcase home protection. We have no children in the home and one Wabbit has 8 Yrs military service, so we understand having better fire power at home. Can any one recommend a hand gun, and larger prefer can't miss shotgun for Wabbit home. We do have a shooting range about 7miles away, and will practice. Thank you for your advice.
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/28 12:04:19 (permalink)
I need some advice. We have aquired soome very nice pieces and now we need a gun safe. I thought I'd get the man one for Christmas (or give him a check to pick out one)

What are brands you trust? What features do I need to look for? About how much will I have to spend? We are talking about maybe 15 hand guns. Thanks for any help.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/28 17:39:36 (permalink)
Hi Wabbit. If it is to be a home defense weapon why do you want a handgun, especially with your history of two broken wrists? To be proficient with a handgun requires a lot of ongoing practice. When I was shooting four IDPA/IPSC match’s a month plus practicing I would go through 15,000+ rounds per year. I now shoot two matches a month and still go through 6,000 – 7,000 rounds per year. Mind you, this is not only for accuracy but also to maintain gun handling skills and clearing malfunctions while under pressure.

My recommendation for you, and especially Mrs. Wabbit, would be to try a 20 gauge shotgun if at all possible. If this is not possible buy a 410 shotgun. When purchasing either one get an 18.5” barrel for maneuverability in close quarters and get someone to give you some instruction in its use as well as the best ammunition for the situation. BTW, forget that chunk a chunk crap, that’s BS. Why would you want to alert bad guys that you are aware of their presence? Once they are in your abode it’s time to defend you and yours all out. You better have any gun loaded to maximum capacity with one in the chamber, the safety on, and be prepared to use it.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/28 17:55:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mbrookes

I need some advice. We have aquired soome very nice pieces and now we need a gun safe. I thought I'd get the man one for Christmas (or give him a check to pick out one)

What are brands you trust? What features do I need to look for? About how much will I have to spend? We are talking about maybe 15 hand guns. Thanks for any help.

Hi mbrookes. Don’t know about brands but my concerns would be heat resistance in case of fire and security. I know that the security response sounds stupid but you have to consider transportability. With 15 handguns you will not need a really big (Read heavy) safe so you must guard against it being carried off. Most important of all is to keep your mouths shut about their presence to all but those extremely trusted persons. And I do mean extremely trusted.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/28 18:23:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mbrookes

I have a Fortress (made by Heritage) and a Cannon and they are both excellent. Be sure to look for one with a high rate of heat resistance for protection of the contents in a fire.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/28 18:36:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wabbit

I have read all the boards on this and as a new gun owner I seek advice. I went to the local Gun shops and they are all trying to sell me a fire arm . But not listenibg to what I want. I have my permit now in N.C . I did file for a larger fire arm so I could have some lee-way as to my final choice. I want a home protection hand gun, I want some thing with not alot of recoil, as I have broken both wrists in past. I also want a " Crime Deterent" Fire arm. The past comment that stuck with me is the sound of a chunk a chunk loading the gun will make a criminal run. I hope I would never have any need for protection of my home. But as another poster said , it is a way to take a large person that would do harm to you and family, and making it equal. The Wabbit family has had crime coming closer to home, We have become complacent in our safe neighbor hood, Bad people have cars, We have discused it and it is time to purcase home protection. We have no children in the home and one Wabbit has 8 Yrs military service, so we understand having better fire power at home. Can any one recommend a hand gun, and larger prefer can't miss shotgun for Wabbit home. We do have a shooting range about 7miles away, and will practice. Thank you for your advice.

Considering the fact that one should never consider using a handgun for anything unless one remains proficient in its use, I'd suggest forgetting about getting one, unless you are willing to spend considerable time and money shooting. Instead, I'd suggest a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun -- either a pump action or a semi-automatic -- loaded with No. 0 No. 00 buckshot. Mossberg makes some excellent shotguns that are fairly inexpensive.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5493
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/30 00:41:12 (permalink)
Wabbit, I'd have to agree that a 20 gauge pump shotgun is probably your best bet. I don't agree with 0 or 00 buckshot. I prefer #4 shot. It has smaller pellets but more of them. I also like Mossberg. Both for performance and for price. An 18.5" model would be great for home protection.

With shot shells the higher the # the smaller the size of the pellet.

If you feel you really want a handgun then I'd recommend a .357 magnum revolver. If the .357 is too much for your wrist then shoot .38 special ammo out of it. The .357 magnum will shoot either.

But like has been said practice is key. Plan on at least 50 rounds a month.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/30 00:45:12 (permalink)
Wabbit, also shop around for price. Wal-mart has good prices on firearms, if they sell them in your area. I like gunbroker.com and Budsgunshop.com. Gander Mtn is high. Cabella's and Dick's sporting good are OK. Do you have a Big5 around? They are pretty good too.

Please feel free to ask any ?s you might have.

MikeS.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/30 00:52:54 (permalink)
mbrookes, do look for a fire reistant safe. I Think they are ANSI rated, not positive though. Buy 1 bigger then you need now for the 15 handguns. You can store other items in there as well.

Get 1 with an electronic keypad. I bought my safe back in '92 with a dial combonation. It was a PITA to unlock. Summer of 07 I paid a locksmith 250 to convert it to an electronic keypad. I love it!

Look for bolts that close when locked on all 4 sides of the door.

Sorry, I can't offer any brand names, I haven't shopped since '92.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/30 00:56:30 (permalink)
Michael, good for you! I like that kind of thinking.

I too like nice lines and good bluing. I have a couple Ruger SAs that meet that bill. I think Colt Pythons have some very nice bluing as well.

Actually I think a Colt Python will be my next acquisition.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/30 00:58:37 (permalink)
I bought a S&W 617 off of gunbroker Friday. This is a stainless .22lr 10 shot revolver.
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/30 02:06:00 (permalink)
I thank you all for the advice, MR.Wabbit is trained in firearms, I am not. Mr.Wabbit, do to his career is away for extended periods of time and we can't talk as much as we would like. He would like for me to get a home protection firearm that I can handle. I was going to do this before he had to leave again, but he was deployed again before we expected.If some one comes into my home, I will protect it.. I understand the repercussions that come with it. I agree a hand gun is not the best for me. I do not have the experience, and the with the previous wrist injuries I don't think I would ever be a well trained person. Again thank you all for your words of advice. Wabbit
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/30 04:04:57 (permalink)
Spoke with my Dad, he is a Vet.. I think a Mossburg would be a good choice for me. Again thanks for all the great info. I think it is very important to do home work and make a informed choice.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/30 06:28:09 (permalink)
Wabbit, do not make the same mistake as an elderly friend of mine. He bought a 20 gauge without my knowledge and then asked me to teach him how to use it. AFter shooting it one time he sold it at a loss and bought a .410. I strongly recommend you try a .20 gauge shotgun before buying one. Read this article.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_n3_v37/ai_12462187
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2008/12/19 23:55:36 (permalink)
chicagostyledog

Quick Reply: Field cannot be empty (Open Full Version)

Happy, happy, joy, joy! Tis the season to acquire firearms. My two new babies are:
1. Springfield Armory XD45 4" barrel. Yes, I finally acquired my first semi-auto pistol.
2. Ruger LCP a 9.5oz .380-Gun of the Year.

Happy shooting.

CSD

CSD, good for you! Look for the PM I'm going to send you in a moment. I want to try out the PM function here.

MikeS.
John A
Filet Mignon
Re:Firearm lovers. 2008/12/20 06:31:13 (permalink)
Hmm. CSD, I too sent a PM and wonder if it went out???
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3323
Re:Firearm lovers. 2008/12/20 09:39:40 (permalink)
Mike, your PM arrived. John, yours didn't.

Happy shooting.

CSD
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
Re:Firearm lovers. 2008/12/20 15:22:23 (permalink)
I do respect all of your advice. When it comes to my kids, I will defend my home. I have broken my wrists in the past. and they have healed very well, thanks to a good Doctors care. If someone breaks into my home.. well I hope I don't have to ever deal with that .. but ,If I do I do what it takes to protect my kids. Mr.Wabbit is away alot serving our county. I will do my best to protect our home.  If you think that gun is too big for me than I should rethink it. I will listen to you good peoples advice. And hope I never have need to use it.
post edited by Wabbit - 2008/12/20 18:05:10
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/12/27 10:50:32 (permalink)
I come from West Virginia where hunting & using firearms always has been a part of everyday life.  All of my children learned to shoot at any early age.  They were shooting target practice when they were strong enough to hold up the gun.  Then at about 12-13 they began hunting.  Both the boys & girls did target shooting, but only the boys were interested in hunting. 

We have a cabin & approximately 60 acres of woods in southern Indiana & now our grandchildren are learning to shoot & hunt.

We eat whatever we shoot- venison, wild turkey, rabbit.

I can respect persons who are complete vegetarians in every way- including no leather shoes, belts, etc as well as eating no meat, fowl or seafood.  but, I have a hard time respecting anti-hunters who visit McDonalds & KFC.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/12/27 12:34:16 (permalink)
This past Monday my grandson and his wife -- both in the Army (they deploy to Iraq on Tuesday) -- put the new Smith & Wesson M&P 15 through its paces at the range, firing a total of 200 rounds.

Talk about a hot barrel.

The best part was that when we got back to the house the two of them field-stripped that sucker and did a fantastic cleaning job. And I never even had to ask them to. That's a far cry from before my grandson went into the Army and I practically had to twist his arm to get him to clean a rifle, pistol or shotgun.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2008/12/27 12:35:45
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/12/27 16:59:02 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

This past Monday my grandson and his wife -- both in the Army (they deploy to Iraq on Tuesday) -- put the new Smith & Wesson M&P 15 through its paces at the range, firing a total of 200 rounds.

Talk about a hot barrel.

The best part was that when we got back to the house the two of them field-stripped that sucker and did a fantastic cleaning job. And I never even had to ask them to. That's a far cry from before my grandson went into the Army and I practically had to twist his arm to get him to clean a rifle, pistol or shotgun.

Please wish them well and thank them for their service to our country.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/12/27 19:04:55 (permalink)
Oh, I shall. And I thank you for the thought.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/12/27 22:17:52 (permalink)
For Christmas I bought my 7.5 year old Granddaughter Ava a Marlin .22lr single shot rifle. Here are some pics of her Christmas day.

Can you see how excited she was to receive this?

We went to the range today with this Marlin and a well used new to me Remington 572 .22 pump. My 1st pump action. We had a blast.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/12/27 22:38:29 (permalink)
Congratulations! That's a wonderul gift. I remember mine, and I remember the firsts for my kids and my grandkids.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/12/28 00:18:07 (permalink)
Thanks Michael and a big Thank You to your Grandson and his wife.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/12/28 12:45:27 (permalink)
It's always a pleasure to know that someone new has become a shooter. I think most people who don't shoot are unaware of the fact that shooting is a lifetime sport that never gets old.

I've passed on your thanks to Ryan and his wife Gen. They appreciate them.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/12/28 16:14:04 (permalink)
Nice gift for a cute little girl Mike although the dog is not sure. She reminds me of my 8 year old GD.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 45
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1