The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Firearm lovers.

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 17 of 42, messages 481 to 510 of 1251
CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 04/25/09 5:20 PM (permalink)
ok

I have been looking at buying either:

Sig Sauer P250 .40cal

or

HK USP .40 cal

Any thoughts??

I am using it for general purpose shooting, to have and have fun

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
    RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 04/25/09 5:28 PM (permalink)
    Nice pocket gun Mike.

Don, If you're going to get a .40 get a .45. However, with the cost of ammunition these days, and only going to get worse, I would recommend a 9mm. If it's personal protection you're concerned about stoke it with Speer Gold Dots.

MiamiDon

RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 04/26/09 7:47 AM (permalink)
      John A:  Why do you recommend a .45 over a .40?

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 04/26/09 5:14 PM (permalink)
        Hi Don,

For the vast majority of people I do not recommend either one.

However to answer your question it's a larger caliber and to me it's faster to get back on target with a .45 than a .40. 

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
          RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 04/26/09 5:37 PM (permalink)
          MiamiDon

John A:  Why do you recommend a .45 over a .40?

I prefer a .45, too. It makes a bigger hole, if you ever have to make a hole.

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Mon, 04/27/09 5:44 AM (permalink)
            That's a very nice shotgun CSD.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 04/29/09 3:29 PM (permalink)
              Don, if you are sold on the .40 then either of those are nice pistols. Check the price and availability of extra magazines. 1 or 2 mags is never enough :)

I highly recommend the Springfield XD. It comes in 9mm, .357sig, .40 & .45. Take a look at those.

The .40 has more of a muzzle rise recoil (flip) then the .45. The .45 is a big slow (relatively) moving bullet that make a big hole. It is usually easy to find and is easy to reload.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 04/29/09 10:16 PM (permalink)
                I have been practicing with a glock .40 I HATE IT.

I should say i hate glocks.

I am dropping about every third shot for some stupid reason
                (could be I have shot in a while)

No not really sold on the .40, just what is handy to practice with.

The springfield looks nice Mike, Iwill have to check deeper into them

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 04/30/09 5:52 AM (permalink)
                  Don,

The majority of Military and police departments worldwide use Glocks not to mention some of worlds top rated competitive shooters.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tag/dave-sevigny/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock_17#Users

Users

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/2/09 1:00 AM (permalink)
                    I never cared for how a Glock felt in my hands. I didn't buy into them for that reason alone.

The XDs feel great and I shoot them pretty well.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/2/09 1:02 AM (permalink)
                      Anyone here have a Ruger LCP? Thinking about getting one.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/2/09 10:05 AM (permalink)
                        I've never been much of a fan of .380s, but I have seen the LCP.

Here's a review that might help:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCP.htm

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/2/09 1:34 PM (permalink)
                          We agree with bearing arms- we have a 12 guage shotgun, AR15 semi auto,22 caliber pistol,an 50 caliber semi automatic-Bob was in the Marines and knows how to handle them.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/2/09 10:34 PM (permalink)
                            JohnA - I know many PD's and military units have used the glock, I have larger hands and glocks dont seem to fit in my hand that well.  Plus in using a glock 9mm I had a friend nearly take his pinky toe off while trying to put down an injured deer.  I know that was not the guns fault it was the ammo, but still I just dont like the feel of glocks.

I said earlier I hate Glocks (but have to admit I do own one)

MikeS - I have the same problem with hand feel. I have a bite mark from a glock. :-(
                            Glocks just don't fit my hand.

My main problem right now is dropping a shot.

I can keep a fairly tight grouping, but in a 10 shot string, about shot 4 or 5, i dont know if I lose focus or what, but that shot is OFF and it is usually down right.

Any thoughts??
                            <message edited by CajunKing on Sat, 05/2/09 10:43 PM>

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/3/09 5:46 AM (permalink)
                              Five things come to mind Don, it could be any of or a combo of:

Losing concentration

Jerking the trigger although that's usually down & left. However if #3 is applicable that could do it.

Too much finger on the trigger. With large hands you're probably wrapping your finger around the trigger, engage it with just the fingertip before the first joint.

Front sight follow through.  Most shooters leave the front sight when the shot breaks to look at the target, stay on it.

Improper grip. Without seeing you shoot I cannot advise you on this.

MiamiDon

RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/3/09 7:59 AM (permalink)
                                Does this constitute weapon abuse?

MiamiDon

RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/9/09 9:25 AM (permalink)

This video finally proves whether one can chop down a tree with a machine gun.

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/10/09 5:30 AM (permalink)
                                    Glad I did not have to buy the ammunition.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/10/09 8:48 PM (permalink)
                                      In boy scouts we went camping in Friendship, IN.

They were having several black powder demos

One pitted five black powder boys against five National Guardsman with full auto.  The target was a 2x6 plank about 100 ft away.

as kids we all thought the full auto guys would blow them away (too many movie scenes)

In less than 5 minutes the NG guys were out of ammo and the board intact, the BPB had sawn the plank in half in 19 shots.

:-)

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/16/09 2:23 AM (permalink)
                                        Bought a Ruger LCP Thursday. Nice small pocket pistol in .380ACP. Fortunately I had a bunch of .380 ammo already. It sure is hard to find right now.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/16/09 4:32 PM (permalink)
                                          Mike S--  Saw this sign recently, and thought perhaps you had relocated to Wisconsin??

<message edited by mayor al on Sat, 05/16/09 4:33 PM>

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/16/09 5:28 PM (permalink)
                                            MikeS.

Bought a Ruger LCP Thursday. Nice small pocket pistol in .380ACP. Fortunately I had a bunch of .380 ammo already. It sure is hard to find right now.

You have that right, especially the self defense type. The biggest gun shop around here requires a .380 caliber handgun purchase in order to buy a limited amount of ammunition.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/16/09 7:32 PM (permalink)
                                              mayor al

Mike S--  Saw this sign recently, and thought perhaps you had relocated to Wisconsin??

Wonderful. A few years ago, on a firearms forum, several of us provided a sign for a guy who was almost violently opposed to the private ownership of firearms. The sign read, "This Is A Gun-Free Zone." He put it in his yard, and we learned that his neighbors pulled it up and threw it away.

MikeS.

• Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/17/09 12:46 AM (permalink)
                                                Al, I love that sign. Thanks for thinking about me. But I'm still in Wild Wonderful WVa. Happily so I might ad.

Funny thing, I went andf bought the LCP Wednesday and got delayed by the NICS "InstantCheck" Had to wait until Thursday until I could take it home with me.

That was the 1st time for me to be delayed.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/17/09 12:47 AM (permalink)
                                                  Michael, I would have left the sign there and put one on my yard saying; This isn't.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/17/09 12:53 AM (permalink)
                                                    Mark, I already belong to that website. Thanks though.

I have shot some 1984 Portugese 95grn Ball, some 95grn Blazer Al cased, some 80some grn Magtech JHP and some 80some grn Hornady FTP or FTX JHP ammo through it w/o a problem.

Finding 380 ammo is really hard right now. By the end of this week I'll be loading my own. I have 500 95grn ball bullets and 500 cases coming from Utah and I have a set of carbide dies coming from Ky.

I bought the bullets and brass from a dealer via Gunbroker and the dies off of e-bay.

Fortunately I bought some powdre and primers last year. They, especially primers, are really hard to find right now.

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                                                      • Location: palm beach, FL
                                                      RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 05/22/09 11:19 AM (permalink)
                                                      Had a beretta 92 made in Italy before the army adopted it and traded it even stevens for a Smith .40. To this day I regret the trade. Not sure why... the .40 is a better fit for my small hand, but i can't shake the feeling that the other guy pulled a fast one on me....any thoughts? bkk

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/23/09 1:56 AM (permalink)
                                                        I think you did OK.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/31/09 11:30 PM (permalink)
                                                          My nascent reloading skills are coming in handy. So far I've done the .380, 38spl, .357 and .44 magnum. I now have enough ammo to last me a fair while.

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            RE: Firearm lovers. Mon, 06/1/09 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                                            MikeS.

My nascent reloading skills are coming in handy. So far I've done the .380, 38spl, .357 and .44 magnum. I now have enough ammo to last me a fair while.

I stopped reloading back in the early '80s, except for shotshells to feed my claybirds needs. Then I stopped reloading shotshells in around 1990. Unfortunately, in 1997 I introduced my 9 year old grandson to sporting clays, and within a few months I had to go buy new loading equipment to keep up with the little son of a ... well, never mind. At least he still has another year to go in the Army, which means I have another year of not having to build ammo for him.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 17 of 42, messages 481 to 510 of 1251

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com