The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Firearm lovers.

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 22 of 42, messages 631 to 660 of 1251
Sundancer7

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 10/17/10 6:35 PM (permalink)
mayor al

I did check the Magazine size limits in Indiana (on-line and with an officer in the field. Except for waterfowl, there are NO limits to the capacity on the gun for hunting. That includes deer and turkey (the only critters I may hunt other than vermin or predetors). Indiana only allows slugs in shotguns for deer...no buckshot. Technically that means I can load up with 10 rounds of #4 shot and nail that turkey  for the holiday dinner !!!  Y'know they can be dangerous when they are only wounded !
Here's the quote from the Indiana DNR website-
"When hunting for migratory game birds and waterfowl (i.e., doves, ducks, geese, woodcock, etc.), it is illegal to use a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler that is incapable of being removed without disassembling the gun. There are no restrictions on magazine capacity for hunting of any other species."

ALSO

" Laser sights are legal for hunting all species."

Russ,
Does your gun have the factory side plate on the receiver? Some of the side-mount optics I see need a plate added, I have the factory plate on, but it doesn't show the screw holes I see in the quick-release side-mount that comes with the optic sight???

Gee whiz Al,. with that gun and the magazine you have, you do not even have to aim.  Just blaze away and you can put enough shot in the air to blow your holiday turkey into turkey burger stuff with lead or whatever.

Paul

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 10/17/10 6:40 PM (permalink)
    Paul-

Russ- The plate on the left side of your gun is what is on mine too. I am wondering if that is sufficient to add the side mount adapter to it directly, or do I need the additional plate as a 'go-between"??

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 11/1/10 1:56 PM (permalink)
      Recently picked up this Hopkins & Allen 5-shot in .32 S&W.

Not a great looker, but for $60 delivered to my door (+ $20 or so for new grips) I wanted it.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 11/4/10 7:17 AM (permalink)
        I love old revolvers. Have you had a gunsmith check it out? Are you going to shoot it?...Russ

Russ Jackson

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 11/4/10 7:39 AM (permalink)
          mayor al

Paul-

Russ- The plate on the left side of your gun is what is on mine too. I am wondering if that is sufficient to add the side mount adapter to it directly, or do I need the additional plate as a 'go-between"??

I think this will work. http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/ak-detachable-double-rail-side-mount-p-367.html

...Russ

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 11/4/10 8:46 AM (permalink)
            RUSS,
            I got the UTG 978 quick release side mount from CSS. It fit the original factory mounting rail fine.  Now waiting for the red-green dot sight to try on it.
            It is the same one you described. A bit heavy, but will do the job just fine.

Russ Jackson

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 11/5/10 7:25 AM (permalink)
              mayor al

RUSS,
              I got the UTG 978 quick release side mount from CSS. It fit the original factory mounting rail fine.  Now waiting for the red-green dot sight to try on it.
              It is the same one you described. A bit heavy, but will do the job just fine.

After you zero it in try taking it off and putting it back on and tell me if it is still accurate if you could. Also have you chosen a sling yet?...Russ

eruby

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 11/5/10 9:48 AM (permalink)
                Russ Jackson

I love old revolvers. Have you had a gunsmith check it out? Are you going to shoot it?...Russ
                Not sure if I will shoot it, but if I do, I will definitely have my gunsmith check it out.  Of course I did buy 2 boxes of ammo at the last gun show I attended.  

Russ Jackson

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 11/5/10 9:58 AM (permalink)
                  Is the bore clean and the cylinder line up good? If it is tight I would fire it. I have an old Iver Johnson that looks almost exactly like yours...Russ

eruby

• Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 11/5/10 10:41 AM (permalink)
                    Russ Jackson

Is the bore clean and the cylinder line up good? If it is tight I would fire it. I have an old Iver Johnson that looks almost exactly like yours...Russ
                    The bore is good and the action works well, with good lock up.  Dry foring is no problem, and it works well with the snap caps.

I will give it a go.

Thanks!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 11/5/10 12:24 PM (permalink)
                      Ruby and Russ
                         I also had an old battered Iver Johnson 38 S&W, lots of rust and a real battered exterior. It's bore was really bad, but it did fire 38 S&W BLANKS just fine, so it was our 4th of July noise maker for many years.

Russ my red-dot sight has been shipped . When I get it mounted I will test it on some water-jugs with slugs. I'll try to photo the mount at the time and will check it for maintaining zero.  I removed the sling terminals when I put on the Tapco stuff. This gun won't be carried much. It is more of a get off my porch sort of thing !!!  I mean if I can't kill it from my deck, it is pretty well assured of a long-life !!  On the other hand, with 50 fruit trees and a bunch of grapes and berries on just under 3 acres, Doing the back deck hunting stand is not quite as 'Urban-Destructive' as it may sound!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 11/13/10 3:49 PM (permalink)
                        Nov 13
                        I have mounted the side-mount rails (quick release) and the 4 way red/green dot sight. It seems to line up well on dry runs. I will borrow a boresight laser to check the alignment of the sight with the actual aiming point. The boresight fits into the chamber like a 12 ga shell and gives a true visual line-up for the actual aiming point...Then run some slugs thru it to see if it does what the little red-dot says it is doing !

Here is the mounted sight on the Saiga-12 

A couple of closer views of the sight and mount--- 

Finally I have a poor example of the red-circle image (one of four choices- also can be green if desired)
                        The flash made it hard to get this to show in the photo, but it works fine.

Hopefully I got them right this time. Sorry for the delay in posting the corrected photos.
                        AL
                        <message edited by mayor al on Sat, 11/13/10 5:39 PM>

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 11/25/10 1:29 PM (permalink)
                          Here are my two Handguns-
                          A Snubby 357 Rossi SS. I keep it in a bedframe holster within easy reach when things go 'Crash' in the night. Bought new in SoCal,  after things DID go Crash  one night.  It is a six-shooter, with a nice smooth cylinder. Shoots nicely. I keep a speedloader of HP's and one of SnakeShot close by.

The second one is my Tokarev 7.62 pistol, brought home from my 1962 visit to S E Asia.  I have fired about 500 rounds thru it since 1962. Very Loud, Big Flash, and a pretty hot round. It is the Russian original rather than the ChiCom or Warsaw Pact copies.

eruby

• Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 12/1/10 2:26 PM (permalink)
                            Nice looking .357 mayor al.  I have a 7-shot snubby Taurus, though I think its barrel (2") is a bit shorter than your Rossi.

I took my nephew shooting last Friday, and he didn't mind the kick of the .357 over the .38s we also fired. 

I have a CZ82, but have been looking at the Tokarov for some time.  The C&R may have been a mistake.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
                              RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 12/1/10 3:41 PM (permalink)
                              Mr. Mayor, I ran into a guy today who was hunting deer with a Saiga. But he'd had a rifled barrel fitted for firing sabot  slugs.

I used a .460 Smith & Wesson to take a fat doe this morning.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 12/1/10 6:40 PM (permalink)
                                Congratulations Michael !  I envy your filling the freezer with Doe Venison ! I don't know if I will ever take a walk in the woods with my Saiga...But sitting on the back deck watching Bambi eat my fruit trees may have me take a shot or two.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 12/1/10 7:05 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks. But actually, I just kept the backstraps and the liver. I donated the rest to an organization that provides venison to food pantries.

Sundancer7

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 12/1/10 7:34 PM (permalink)
                                    Michael Hoffman

Thanks. But actually, I just kept the backstraps and the liver. I donated the rest to an organization that provides venison to food pantries.

What?  No tenderloin???

Good shooting though and the liver should be excellent.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 12/2/10 8:46 AM (permalink)
                                      Excellent Michael. We just used the last package of ground venison from last years deer that my S-I-L brought down to us from WI at Christmas . I sure makes fine Chili !!

Russ Jackson

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 12/2/10 3:27 PM (permalink)
                                        Nice Job Michael! Any pictures? You run into a guy with a Saiga while you are toting around that .460 Smith. I like that.

Saiga looks Great Al!
                                        I would use the Saiga to hunt. You could always put a Poly Choke on it.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                                          RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 12/2/10 4:42 PM (permalink)
                                          eruby

Recently picked up this Hopkins & Allen 5-shot in .32 S&W.

Not a great looker, but for $60 delivered to my door (+ $20 or so for new grips) I wanted it.

That looks exactly like the old S&W .32 that my grandfather kept in his safe (my brother has it now). A little beat up looking, but still in firing condition. This is maybe a copy of that model?

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 12/2/10 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                            Sundancer7

Michael Hoffman

What?  No tenderloin???

Paul E. Smith
                                            Knoxville, TN

No tenderloin. I just took the backstraps and the liver, and left the rest for Farmers And Hunters Feeding The Hungry.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 12/2/10 5:48 PM (permalink)
                                              Russ Jackson

Nice Job Michael! Any pictures? You run into a guy with a Saiga while you are toting around that .460 Smith. I like that.

Thanks. No pictures.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 12/5/10 1:09 AM (permalink)
                                                Ahhh some nice reading material as I sit here munching deer bologna courtesy of my SIL.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                                                  • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                  RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 12/18/10 11:17 AM (permalink)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my Roadfood Firearm Lovers.

Mark

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                    • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 12/19/10 11:34 PM (permalink)
                                                    Thanks Mark.

Russ Jackson

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 01/13/11 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                                      mayor al

OK, after a day of breaking in the shotgun  and adding it's new appearance and handling materials, it looks more like what I have been seeking.
                                                      Here it is "Right out of the Box", with the factory issued 5 rd Mag.

AND, Here it is this morning, after an evening of stock fitting etc. With the Tapco Stock and forearm, and the 10 rd magazine. It really handles like an AK, if a bit "bigger"!

Have you seen this new Bullpup stock for the Saiga 12  http://www.kushnapup.com/  ? I am sure you like the way the one shown looks but this one is pretty cool Mayor.

...Russ 

<message edited by Russ Jackson on Thu, 01/13/11 9:14 AM>

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 01/13/11 4:20 PM (permalink)
                                                        Yeah, I saw that one and the Kel-Tec that is due out for sale this Spring.  I think my budget for expanding the Bowen Arsenal is pretty well shot  (pun intended) for now.
                                                        The Kel-Tech uses two tubes of 7 rounds capacity each for it's magazines, with a selector to choose one tube or the other. Think of 7 rounds of Buckshot, and 7 rounds of slugs available at the flick of a switch !!!

I could like this one a lot, given the chance (and the funds).
                                                        http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg

http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/958424.html
                                                        <message edited by mayor al on Thu, 01/13/11 4:50 PM>

Sundancer7

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 01/13/11 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                                          I wish I had one but I am not sure what I would do with it.  I have a lot of weapons but I have never shot them. 
                                                          Paul E. Smith
                                                          Knoxville, TN
                                                          <message edited by MikeS. on Sat, 01/15/11 12:49 AM>

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 03/4/11 11:01 PM (permalink)
                                                            Well, We'll bring this thread back to life to ask for any info you regular hunters may have about Hog Hunting.  I have hunted small game and deer in various parts of the country over the years. BUT, I have never been on a Hog-Hunt.
                                                            That is about to change.  The two grandfathers , Me and My opposite number in one branch of my family, and my 13 year old grandson will be heading down to Texas at the end of May for a three-day and two-night Hog Hunt on a ranch located near Luling (AND SHINER !!). Hopefully we will schedule in some stops at our favorite BBQ places, and get together with Bushie before or after our hunt time.
                                                            They recommend using 12 gauge slug shotguns or heavy caliber (44 magnum) rifles for the dense brushy territory. The hunting is both in-Blinds and Stalking.  I'm not much into hiking the boonies these days so Blind Hunting it will be for me (day and Night). They run a big deer operation, so the Hogs and Varmints are eating into their profits big-time. So they cut the prices by a bunch and get folks to clean out the varmint population for awhile.

I'll use my Saiga and am asking for suggestions as to which slugs (brand and size) work the best from your experiences.
                                                            We will also have smaller caliber rifles with us for varmint shooting if that happens while we are in the field.  Lots of Coyotes and other critters these folks are asking us to assist in controlling. But the Hogs are the top of the list. They will clean, skin, and quarter them and we will pack them home in coolers to a butcher here in our area who will finish cutting and freezing the meat ASAP after we return.
                                                            I have not done any hunting for ten years, so this is kinda exciting for an old guy...and needless to say the grandson is jumping around ready to go tomorrow !!
                                                            Post any thoughts or advice...I will be sure to follow up on it if I can.
                                                            AL

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 22 of 42, messages 631 to 660 of 1251

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com