Helpful ReplyHot!Firearm lovers.

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 43
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18492
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/05 11:26:16 (permalink)
First of all, I have hunted all sorts of hogs, from feral hogs in Ohio to Russians in South Carolina. I've mostly hunted them with handguns, although I've used shotguns a few times And for a story I once was assignerd to write I hunted a boar with a Bowie knife.

With your shotgun I'd strongly recommend Winchester's new Supreme Elite Dual Bond sabot slug. These things are fantastic, and they'll sure anchor your hog. But just to be safe I suggest that you pick up several other brands of sabot slugs -- always sabot slugs as opposed to Foster-types -- and see which brands your Saiga likes best at various distances. And if everything is equal I would defintely go with the Winchester.

Oh, and good luck with your hunt, and have fun.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/New-Product-Dual-Bond-Shotgun-Sabot-Slug.aspx

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15286
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/05 12:00:22 (permalink)
I was hoping to hear from y0u, Michael. I value your knowledge of the equipment. I have been told by many that the sabot-slug doesn't work as well in a smoothbore shotgun (my Saiga) as it would in a rifled barrel. Is this true?  The info I got said use a rifled slug in a smoothbore barrel???
  Since this is our first hunt with that gun (no buckshot allowed) I want to be as prepared and well-practiced as i can be.
AL
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/05 12:10:41 (permalink)
Al, the sabot slugs work just fine in smoothbores. Out to 50 yards they're more accurate than Foster slugs from a smoothbore, and 50 yards on out about the same in terms of accuracy.

Some years ago I ran tests using both rifled barrels and smoothbores with a Remington 870, a Remington 1100, a Winchester Model 1200, and a Browning A5 (that's two pumps and two semi-autos). I had five different brands of sabot slugs and five different brands of Foster-type slugs. The Sabots were more accurate out of all the shotguns and all the barrels.

But it's what happens when the slug hits that counts if accuracy is merely equal. On that basis, alone, the hollowpoint Sabot slug is my choice.

By the way, the term "rifled slug" is a misnomer. There is no rifling. The term is a reference to the vanes on the slug that were originally designed to help stabilize the slug in flight.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/03/05 12:15:15
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13510
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/05 12:14:21 (permalink)
I have been told that there are more hogs in Texas than deer?  I do not know but I was birding at Aransas National Park specifically for Whooping Crane.  Se saw about a half dozen of them and they were a first for me.  While hiking in the bush, we saw numerous alligators and lotsa hogs.  They can run fast.  I heard that they were flea infested and I was told to let them lie after you shot them for a good while to vacate the fleas???

I do not know.  I am a little bit like Al as I would prefer a blind and a little toddy to tide me over.

Al, let us know how the ham and shoulders turn out.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/05 14:13:43 (permalink)
This becoming a real fun prep-experience. I am researching HOG Hunting on the Internet and am getting info-overload quickly !!
Michael. Thank You for the sabot info. I will try them on my backyard range...shooting milk jugs isn't shooting hogs, but I will get used to slug/sabot shooting before we go.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/05 14:29:13 (permalink)
Al, put some marks on the jugs if you can't get hold of some simple targets. You want to see where your slugs are hitting, so you can adjust your sights..
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5432
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/06 01:14:00 (permalink)
Al, I hunted hogs many years ago in Calif. I used a .44mag lever action though. That's what I'd use today as well.

Good luck and have a blast, pun intended, on your trip.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/06 01:28:07 (permalink)
I got into the AR rifles last year. (M-16 type) Been shooting it quite a bit. I really like the platform. So with this years tax refund I bought myself a dedicated .22lr upper. This upper fits onto the .223/5.56* lower I bought last year.

The thing I like most about the AR is that 1 lower can use multiple different uppers, at different times of course. I bought my original with a 5.56 chambered upper.

*A 5.56 chamber lets you use 5.56 or .223 Remington ammo. Some .223 chambers don't work well with 5.56 ammo.

If I wanted I could buy numerous other upper and use with the same lower. That's the nicest thing about the AR platform and Mil-Spec. As long as the many different companies make their equipment to the Military Specifactions they interchange.

Shooting season is now back in. I've been 3 times since 2/22. I'll start back reloading in a week or two. Since I do that in the unheated garage I have to wait until it warms up some. Although I did buy a hand primer tool and sat in the living room, watched TV and primed 3k cases this winter.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/06 18:23:05 (permalink)
Mike , thanks for the additional info.  The Texas trip will be a one-time vacation, I think. Hunting here in Indiana  prohibits the use of the small caliber AR and AK guns for Deer. Hunting here you must use a shotgun (slug only) or what is normally a pistol-caliber gun (pistol or rifle).  This means NO 270, 30-06 or 308 rifles etc , must be over .35 diameter... and shorter than most rifle-cartridges... Legal is 357 and 44 magnum and many close relatives...NO 45 ACP or 45-70 or 30 Carbine or Buckshot. Really odd list of legal calibers!!

The other adult hunter on this Texas trip will have a 44 magnum lever-action. I will have my 12 GA semi-auto with a 357 back-up revolver, and the grandson will have his 20 GA pump.
post edited by MikeS. - 2011/03/08 01:19:09
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/11 15:32:29 (permalink)
A slug is pretty much a slug. Plus your shot will most likely not going to be much more than 40 or 50 yds. One of my crews just killed two that they ordered and had delivered to a place down in Cincy. They were both over 500 lbs and the got them with compound bows....Russ
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/18 14:34:44 (permalink)
Michael,
I see ads on TV for Deer Hunting for "Monster" Whitetail Deer in the Counties North and East of You. (Amish Country). I had to chuckle when they described the  food and lodging being of Amish origin and quality with video shots to match the sound track, then cut to a shot of a Jet airliner lifting off from the airport that is less than 5 miles from the lodge, while vocally describing the modern convenience of easy access.. Talk about Mixed metaphors!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/18 14:42:28 (permalink)
Al, we do have some monster whitetails in Ohio, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where there might be a hunting lodge within five miles of a jetport. That is a hunting lodge close enough to plenty of monster bucks and such an airport.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/18 14:52:06 (permalink)
I think it was a private jet. But the message was clear !!
Kinda like when I was shopping for a decent (and cheap) ticket for Janet to fly to Okinawa...I found a return leg of the trip that went from Okinawa to Tokyo, change planes- then Tokyo to Steamboat Springs Colorado, with a fuel stop in SEA-TAC,  (a 747 BTW)...then Frontier from Steamboat Springs to Louisville with a stop in Denver!
I guess until recently that sking was a big deal to our Japanese neighbors. I have seen the airport at Steamboat Springs...I can't imagine a 747 coming in there in anything other than ideal conditions.

I have been using my bore-sighter a lot, AND practicing with slugs thru the Saiga. Even as big as I am, it still thumps me pretty hard by the third or fourth round in a five round target series.
post edited by mayor al - 2011/03/18 14:54:05
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/18 16:03:00 (permalink)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/27 07:52:03 (permalink)
Here is a link to a video clip that will show you why I get excited about a Hog Hunt.  When I shared it with Bushie, he said it looked like a Glee Club Meeting. It's less than 2 minutes long so enjoy !!!

Click here: YouTube - MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY

claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/27 10:11:32 (permalink)
Does anone carry(conceal a firearm on their person) on this site?
One of our best friends is a reserve policeman & until 9/11 we went all over the world with Paul & his ankle gun.  Now he does not carry a gun when we fly(too much red tape!!).  but ,he packs his gun with his luggage(all legal) & then straps his gun on.  We have been on 8 cruises together & I have found it comforting to know that wherever we are ,especially Mexico, that he has his gun.

About a year ago my son-in-law & daughter bought a glock & both took lessons & are registered.  My son-in-law just got a smaller handgun to carry.  My grandaughters are 5 & 7, he wanted to be able to always protect them.  This may sound paranoid, but here in Indiana,this Friday we had a middle school shooting.  The school was locked down & it was several hours before parents could pick up their children.  Frankly, I would prefer my son-in-law have a concealed weapon with him if my grandchildren were ever in that situation.
What do you think?

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/27 11:51:13 (permalink)
Clara,
  I have a NY permit to carry (life-time) that I got many years ago. I, too, used to have a handgun with us on the roadtrips etc wherever we traveled. In the late 90's we started running into warnings when we entered some N E States, declaring ANY handgun brought into the state by a non-resident (Not an FFL holder) would be confisated and the bearer would get a mandatory year in jail.  I am not a cop, so I can't claim a 'duty' exemption.  That did it for us...no more carrying the gun on trips.
  An Indiana CC  Permit runs about $125 and I have made the decision not to invest in that. Our county  sheriff encourages folks to get the permit. But as I find myself at home more than on the road, I think I can do anything in the way of home-defense that I want to without the Permit.
  I did fish in Mexico (BAJA) several times a year while living in SoCal. I NEVER took my handgun with me on those trips. For the Non-Cop that is simply too big a risk to test.  With the situation the way it is now along the border, I don't think I would be tempted to do the roadtrips to fish down there at all.  It simply isn't worth the risk to me and my family.

The major difference between our two posts is your son's occupation. He has much more 'coverage' than does the ordinary citizen. 

About the Martinsville shooting.  One jerk-water middle school loser-kid get PO'd at another kid and the hormones take over (think of deer in rut !!) That was an isolated incident. The parents should be charged with aiding etc for not having the guns locked up...if indeed he got it at home.  I doubt that many small town Hoosiers will be willing to spend what it takes for metal detectors and shake-down locker checks and other 'safety procedures, like the ones we had at the school where I worked in a 'nice' community in SoCal. The problem is there will probably be no charges other than probation and nothing changes in protecting the kids from themselves.
AL
Phottoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/27 20:30:01 (permalink)
I carried concealed until I broke my wrist just before Thanksgiving.  There is NO way I could get to my weapon with the cast (and now the brace) on my wrist, so I leave it at home.

I passed my CCW class in AZ about three years before I moved here, although I DID own property here, I was renting that property to others not related.  The permit was mailed to my California address.  I never had a problem with any sworn officer while in CA, they all knew me and what I did (at that time I was into Fugitive Retrieval).  I used to hire off duty LEOs to help me when I knew I had located someone, and I always shared my fees with the Officer involved.

I do NOT carry on Federal property, and that includes Indian Tribal Land, though on a case by case basis, I probably wouldn't have any trouble, again most of the Tribal Police know me.

Photto
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/28 06:51:53 (permalink)
Like the old American Express commercial - never leave home without it.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/03/28 07:41:25 (permalink)
douginvirginia

Like the old American Express commercial - never leave home without it.
Well said doug.  Being a subject in the People's Republic of Maryland, I get to carry only occasionally with my Florida non-resident permit (VA and PA are where I most get to carry).

The Second Amendment Foundation (the ones who won the MsDonald case in Chicago) filed suit against Maryland's arbitrary permit proccess and we should know something by the end of summer. It looks hopeful, but if Maryland loses, I'm sure they will appeal and pull Chicago-style gun control tricks until the cows come come home.  I envy you your freedom in Virginia.

post edited by eruby - 2011/03/28 07:42:28
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/04/17 17:02:29 (permalink)
I have carried for years. I renewed my permit reciently and could not believe how many women carry now. The class was 2/3rds women. When I picked up my new permit I counted 5 women picking them up as well. One other man...Russ
BackAlleyBurger
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/04/18 00:20:23 (permalink)
here in NC, if i am inside my car, or place of business (ie: food truck) i can pretty much defend myself any way i see fit, , so yea, i will definitely be protected by S&W, there are some fantastic advantages to living in the south :)
we, like most anywhere else have to have a permit to purchace, but we do not have to have a permit to carry unconcealed
yes, legally you can strap on a six shooter and walk around downtown... but dont go into a bank, or bar, or any federal building with it. or any business that has posted a "no handguns" sign on the front door
long guns are a different story.... you can still buy one with a simple signature at any local sporting goods store, or walmart 
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/04/26 00:07:20 (permalink)
I had a Calif. permit and have a WV permit. Matter of fact I bought a new carry pistol Friday, a Ruger lc9.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/04/26 00:09:58 (permalink)
What do you want with a little pipsqueak mouse gun like that?

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/04/28 01:27:14 (permalink)
I just purchased a Winchester Model 100 in caliber 308. Since my Springfield '03 (30-06) may be one of the low number warning guns ( I am researching the history of that fine rifle and only use low-recoil ammo in it til I prove the safety level), I wanted a deer/hog rifle to use where the Saiga Slug gun is not appropriate. Here's the new gun...due to arrive next week. This is my first use of Gunbroker.com.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/04/28 11:29:42 (permalink)
You know, that's a classic. Winchester discontnued it back in the '70s because it was getting too expensive to make.

But, you'd better have the firing pin checked. There was a recall on this rifle back in the '90s because the firing pin tip could break off causing a slamfire, where the next round fires before the bolt is fully closed.

From a gunsmith:
We all know that 100's are subject to a recall. The recall involves the firing pin breaking within the bolt causing the pin to protrude from the bolt face. A slam fire (before the bolt goes into battery) can occur. To determine if a particular rifle has had the recall work performed, the bolt should be disassembled. If the firing pin is square in cross section, it is a post-recall part. This recall work is still being done by Winchester authorized repair centers.
The problem is one I recently encountered on a customer gun. It was locked closed (on an empty chamber). Took some finigglin' and cussin' to get it apart. The trigger housing unit on this rifle dovetails into a slot at the front of the receiver. The rear of the trigger housing unit is screwed up into the recoil block. As these guns wear, they develop slop in the dovetail on the front of the receiver. If the rear guard screw is allowed to loosen, even 1 turn, the rear of the trigger group can drop down far enough to allow the bolt assembly to fail to cock the hammer on rearward travel. The bolt then returns forward, but now riding on top of the uncocked hammer which jams it tighter than a duck's butt at high tide.
Most of the time, simply keeping the rear guard screw tight (Loc-Tite) works fine. The front dovetail could be peened and/or built-up and recut on extreme cases.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/04/28 13:31:54 (permalink)
MH
The seller of 'MY' Winchester 100 was the original owner of the gun (bought it new), He had the recall replacement work done back when that notice was issued and kept the paperwork regarding the 'upgrade' that was done.
And yeah, it is a Classic !  Included are 2 extra mags, the leather sling and the TASCO 4x40 scope. I may switch the scopes with the one on my '03, as it is a 3x12 x 56MM with illuminated crosshairs plus non-powered black CROSSHAIRS as well. The bigger scope does work well in the low light situations. My new rifle should arrive about the same time as I get home from the hospital next week !!!!
post edited by mayor al - 2011/04/28 13:34:09
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/04/28 13:44:37 (permalink)
Fantastic!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/04/30 00:10:58 (permalink)
190, AND THAT'S ON THE SINGLE IDENTITY !! Imagine if we were working in a multi-channel site???
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox 2011/04/30 00:14:39 (permalink)
You can't kid me. I know what you're about.
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1