The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Firearm lovers.

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 24 of 42, messages 691 to 720 of 1251
MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 05/2/11 12:23 AM (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

What do you want with a little pipsqueak mouse gun like that?

It rides in my pocket very nicely and you won't know it's there. 8rnds of 9mm Gold Dot 124gr +P is a far better round than a .380acp. But not as good as the .45acp that rides in my IWB holster.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 05/2/11 12:29 AM (permalink)
    Al, an execellent rifle! It should be a very accurate rifle if you do your part.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
      RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 05/2/11 12:33 AM (permalink)
      MikeS.

Michael Hoffman

It rides in my pocket very nicely and you won't know it's there. 8rnds of 9mm Gold Dot 124gr +P is a far better round than a .380acp. But not as good as the .45acp that rides in my IWB holster.

Oh, it's much better than a .380. Mine's a Combat Commander, and it rides in a slide.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 05/3/11 11:20 AM (permalink)
        Michael Hoffman

MikeS.

Michael Hoffman

Oh, it's much better than a .380. Mine's a Combat Commander, and it rides in a slide.

Michael, is the combat commander a 9mm or .45?

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 05/3/11 12:21 PM (permalink)
          It's a Series 70 .45.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 05/3/11 2:03 PM (permalink)
            MH  137???, Where does the time go??? New ammo arrived for the 308. Rifle should be at the dealer waiting my return from Indianapolis on Thursday.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 05/3/11 2:11 PM (permalink)
              Expensive, isn't it? Be glad you're not shooting a .460 S&W Magnum

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 05/10/11 1:14 PM (permalink)
                Actually the ammo is not too bad. $17 for 20 rounds of 180 gr Remington PSP and less than $10 for 20 rounds of Military FMJ for practice.
                I finally got a couple of photos of the new gun and the hog-scopes.
                here is the Model 100-

A little closer look at its action-

The two Hog Guns, The Winchester 100 in 308 and the Saiga Russian Shotgun with a factory 5 round mag 12 gauge. It has a 1.5-6x40mm hog and turkey scope on board.

Close up of the Saiga (AK) Action. Note this is one of the guns imported by our neighbors in Scotsburg Indiana.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 05/10/11 1:18 PM (permalink)
                  Nice.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 05/14/11 12:08 PM (permalink)
                    My neighbor and I sat on my front porch last night and used Laser Bore-sighters to align the scopes on the two Hog Hunting Guns, prior to practice firing this weekend.

As the darkness overtook the twi-light, seeing the red dot of the Laser on a reflector attached to a tree in his yard, 80 yards from our chairs on the porch, made adjusting the scopes pretty easy.  Now to see how that 308 will group within the bullseye! when I shoot it.
                    Same for the 12 ga. However I have fired it many times and have a pretty good idea of how it places it's slugs at 75-80 yards.

Sundancer7

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 05/14/11 2:08 PM (permalink)
                      I feel sorry for the hogs.  They ain't got a chance.  I look forward to the cookout

I think you have a nice collection Al.  I was incorrect Al, when I told you that I had a similar gun.  Mine that my Dad gave me was a lever action with a similar scope.  I have never fired it but my brother dropped a deer in Colorado at 500 yards.  He lobbed it in and aimed about four feet above the shoulder.  He nailed it and got kuddo's from the guide.

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 05/14/11 3:50 PM (permalink)
                        Al, one treat I love is boar liver and onions. I first had it at a hunting lodge -- for breakfast. The owner's wife made it, along with the standard breakfast offerings.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                          RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 05/14/11 4:39 PM (permalink)
                          Michael Hoffman

Al, one treat I love is boar liver and onions. I first had it at a hunting lodge -- for breakfast. The owner's wife made it, along with the standard breakfast offerings.

How was the boar liver & onions cook?          .... Oh, nice guns ....

Sundancer7

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 05/14/11 5:32 PM (permalink)
                            Michael Hoffman

Sounds good to me although I am not a liver lover

Paul E. Smith
                            knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 05/14/11 5:58 PM (permalink)
                              edwmax

Michael Hoffman

The same way you'd cook any other liver for liver and onions. thinly slicedliverdredged in flour and then pan fried. Onions carmelized.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                                RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 05/14/11 7:23 PM (permalink)
                                Michael Hoffman

edwmax

Michael Hoffman

The same way you'd cook any other liver for liver and onions. thinly slicedliverdredged in flour and then pan fried. Onions carmelized.

That I like, but liver with onion gravy over it, I don't.    ....My Grandmother would make a stewed liver & onions that was great.     So that's 3 different ways of fixing liver & onions.       ... I just cannot, in 15 years, convince my wife that liver & onions and liver & onion gravy is not the same.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 05/14/11 8:02 PM (permalink)
                                  I don't know about onion gravy, but I've always deglazed the pan in which the liver cooked with wine, added some beef stock and some butter and made a pan gravy.

In my case, though, for the more than 30 years I was married I had to eat my liver in restaurants because my wife wouldn't touch the stuff, and I didn't want to cook, even for myself, something she hated.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 05/26/11 9:57 AM (permalink)
                                    Update-  We leave on the Texas Hog Hunt a week from today. We will spend Saturday and Sunday with Bushie, making the rounds of the BBQ Locations we love so much...and introducing my grandson to the wonders of Texas BBQ.

Then on Monday June 6th (D-Day) we will enter the hunting ranch near Gonzales, TX. 3 days and 2 nights of Hog Hunt, then a long ride home.  The guns are packed, the ammo bag is almost ready, and the range-box is already loaded. We have more Coolers than we could possibily need. 

We leave at the close of the grandson's 8th grade graduation ceremony next Thursday evening. AND  YES, We are excited about this trip and here is one reason why!!!  One of my Internet friend shot this Hog at the ranch we will be staying at, just a couple of weeks ago. It is the typical hog taken there, although the sizes vary a lot !

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                                      RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 05/26/11 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                      my fav is my xd 45  14 round capacity, flawless little machine, also have a .40 glock, 9mm glock, .25 mini bernadelli, .380 keltech, 22mag over under derringer, ak, 12ga. etc etc etc

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 05/26/11 7:44 PM (permalink)
                                        I don't have a large collection, but just enough to cover the basic goals, Sport-shooting for fun, Hunting for useable meat, and Home Defense for Self & Family protection. A Tokarev 7.62 mm handgun war trophy from Vietnam, still shootable. A 357 Magnum 2 inch barrel revolver 6 shot, Stainless Steel Rossi. My Saiga 12 ga semi-auto Shotgun with various sized magazines 5-10 & 20 rounds each. This gun is tricked out with a number of add-on features.
                                        My latest acquisition, a Winchester Model 100 semi-auto rifle in 308 caliber, with a couple of extra magazines. I also have three 22 caliber rifles fr fun shooting, a couple of them are hand-me-downs from Janet's father, and I picked up a semi-auto at an auction recently. In the back of the closet is an Iver Johnson Top-break 16 gauge single shot shotgun. Bought for $15 Dollars at a yard sale in 1965, I shot my first deer with it that same year. I haven't seen 16 gauge slugs for a long time !

Sundancer7

RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 05/26/11 7:52 PM (permalink)
                                          Al, we all wish you luck and I know you will bring home the bacon.  We are all looking forward to your pig roast which I am sure that all of us will be invited.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 05/26/11 11:37 PM (permalink)
                                            Al, try a 28 gauge. That's what I bought for my grandson's first shotgun. Great gauge, especially for a little kid. Works on grouse, pheasants and ducks in close (and with steel shot you need close with a 28 guage). But not everyone carries shells for it. Sort of like finding .22 Hornet ammo.

By the way, have fun on your road trip. I understand you heard about mine.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 05/27/11 12:19 AM (permalink)
                                              Yep, Seems we'll both be on the road at the same time...but you will be going further and for a longer time. Enjoy and report in when you can. Is your Grandson at Ft Hood? We will be in Temple,TX near Kileen Friday June 3 and again on the way home Wed June 8. The sausage maker I want to use is in temple. 
                                                The process of over-packing is getting to me a bit. Way to much "stuff" getting pulled out to 'pack'.  I need a real KISS lesson for this trip (Keep It Simple Stupid !!)

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 05/27/11 12:41 AM (permalink)
                                                My grandson is at Fort Bliss, in El Paso. I'm looking forward to the trip. And I'm even surprised that it'sworked out so that I can make it.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/28/11 3:57 PM (permalink)
                                                  MH  I am glad to hear you'll be on the road soon. I hope all goes well ! Please keep us up to date on your adventures. My regards to your family, and as one parent/grandparent of serving G I's to another, Please share my pride in your grandson's service. Ft Bliss isn't quite the Ft Irwin Desert Training Center (Barstow, CA) but it is close enough to attract Scorpions !! My two (Janet's Armor Warrent Officer son and my Armor/MI LT son will be at Ft Lewis Washington shortly. Jan's son has been there a year and is soon to go to Ft Hood. My boy is finishing his Advanced training and will arrive at Ft Lewis in about 3 weeks.
                                                  This time next week  we will be hanging out with Bushie eating Texas  BBQ !

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/28/11 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                                    Thank you Al for the kind things about my grandson. Like you, I'm proud of all those who serve our country. And thanks, too for the good wishes on my trip. It's going to be exciting.

You have a ball, and don't forget the coolers. Keep one thing in mind: The big end is the one to put to your shoulder and the small end is the one that says hello to the boars.

Say hi to Bushie, and you guys leave some barbeque for the rest of us.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/28/11 7:41 PM (permalink)
                                                      I will post my report ASAP after our return. Bushie told me to pass on to you to call him if you get into the Austin area. He would love to meet and Eat a bit !  He is with BB today doing what he will do with us next weekend !
                                                        More later.  It is going to be a busy week. 

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/28/11 8:03 PM (permalink)
                                                        Al, I was considering a huge detour on the way back from El Paso. I'd like to finally meet Bushie.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 06/2/11 4:33 AM (permalink)
                                                          Today is finally the departure day. I am pretty excited about this trip. The truck is almost loaded. The coolers are aboard, Guns and Ammo enough to stage an assault on a Taliban Stronghold. The dogs know something is up as Duff is staying very close to me, in hopes he will be riding along. (Sorry Duff, you are needed to guard the homestead !)
                                                            We actually depart after the kid's 8th grade graduation this evening...about 9PM if the timing works out. Louisville to Nashville to Memphis to Little Rock to Dallas then South to Temple, TX for the Friday evening stop. Saturday and Sunday with Bushie in Temple, Taylor, Lockhart, and Driftwood for sure and others as the spirit directs.  The boy will learn a lot about Texas BBQ this weekend...and about his Czech Heritage as well.
                                                            We sign in at the Hunting Camp on Monday.
                                                             I had hopes of being able to stop at the Family Pie Shop in DeValls Bluff AR tomorrow morning (right across from Craig's BBQ) but I think the timing will have us passing thru the area too early in the morning (+-6AM) to stop to pick up a Lemon and a Chocolate Fudge Pie !!
                                                          I will not have my computer with me, so the next report will be the post-travel trip report and successful hunting report also. There will be more photos than you probably want to see!

MikeS.

• Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 06/2/11 8:42 AM (permalink)
                                                            Have a safe trip!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 24 of 42, messages 691 to 720 of 1251

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com