Helpful ReplyHot!Firearm lovers.

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 43
Author
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/06/02 09:38:20 (permalink)
Good luck and good shooting!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/06/02 14:34:11 (permalink)
Just spoke to Al, and he is as excited as can be!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15213
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/06/02 14:43:00 (permalink)
Well, even before we leave the RF influence is expanding. After a chat with BuffetBuster this morning I decided that if it was possible I would like to introduce my grandson to a real Arkansas treat...Pie from the Family Pie Shop in DeValls Bluff. Thats about halfway between Memphis and LittleRock, just a short distance off of I-40. The problem is/was the timing of our arrival.. we should be passing by that little town between 5 and 6 AM tomorrow morning. Cliff urged me to call and see what Mary's schedule is, and maybe we can work things out.   Sure enough, Mary said she will be up and baking in time to have our three pies... A Lemon, A coconut Cream, and a Chocolate Fudge ready to go between 5:30 and 6 AM. She said they no longer make the 2 person "mini-Pies" so we will get the retular sized Pie and see how much we can consume before meeting Bushie Tomorrow Night !!!
   Mary was very pleased that we wanted her Pies enough to drive all night to get them !! hehehe  Now to keep it a secret from the grandson, 'til I send him up to that old Garage to buy the Pies !  Hopefully we will get a full photo report on this 'extra-stop'! Thank heavens for Mary and the folks like her who go far beyond the extra mile to fulfill our surprise treat order.
More to follow.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/06/10 11:03:02 (permalink)
Friday morning, We are back safely, Have 5 hogs in various sizes being processed...1 At Green's Sausage house in Temple, TX. Small Hog gave us 50 lbs of useable meat to make the Jalopena-cheese Sausage links. Frozen and shipped to me early next week. Very good sausage!

The other four came home with us to a Meat cutter here in Corydon, Indiana. We will share the results of his 'cut and wrap' when he finishes. Should be next week some time.  I held out one 70 lb young one for pig-roast appearances. Had it cut into three pieces...Saddle of Hams (Tail-half) and then split the fore-end in half with Ribs and shoulder together. So it will fit my cooker.
Full-report and photo history will be posted on the trip report forum over the weekend.  I can't believe how much fun it was sharing time with the grandson and other 'PawPaw'. I am worn out. More to follow.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/06/10 16:38:22 (permalink)
I am so happy your hunt was a success!!!That sausage sounds absolutely fantastic. I am jealous.
John B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/06/10 20:48:17 (permalink)
Has anyone heard of this www.oklahomafullauto.com or attended? Sounds interesting.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/06/12 16:31:53 (permalink)
John
For years the Knob Creek Gun Club just outside of Louisville has held this sort of activity at least once a year. I have been to one session, and for MG fans it was great. I have not been to the OK version but it sounds like about the same sort of thing.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/19 20:36:02 (permalink)

http://www.beckortauctions.com/index.php?subp=1&sct=1548&pg=ap&pid=20536

Here is a link to a firearms auction set for August 11th in our local community hall. They will have over 200 guns listed, and have a live-auction as well as including internet bidding as part of the means to expand their coverage.  Let me know if you decide to bid so i won't bid against you.  You have until Aug 11th to log-in and place a bid.  I will be present at the site on the 'live' day to watch it in person. Looks like a good selection.
Phottoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/20 09:17:53 (permalink)
In the past five weeks I have been a seller at five gun shows, with another one coming up this weekend (July 22, 23) at the Phoenix Fair Grounds.  If any of you are in the Phoenix area this weekend, I believe the cost is around $5 to get in the door.  I have been to (in order of show dates) to the Mohave Fair Grounds, the Mesa show at the city complex, the Cashman Center in Las Vegas, the show in Prescott Valley, and last weekend at Tuscon.    This weekends show is probably the second largest this year and should be a LOT of fun.

Photto
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/20 10:08:29 (permalink)
Phottoman,
  Thanks for the comment. I have a question for you about the gun show circuit. How do the vendors deal with participating in shows in different States? I mean I understand the need for an FFL. but does that cover you if you do a show in Utah or Nevada, much less in California?  I see Out-Of-State Venders at the shows here in the Mid-West, but have never inquired about how State laws affect them, other than Sales Tax collection.
AL
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/20 10:44:39 (permalink)
Hmm why have I not seen this thread before?.  Looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

One of my favorite things to do is go to the shooting range then pick up some Korean Fried Chicken afterwards.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/20 13:00:32 (permalink)
Hehehe, We differ only in minor points, My NasCar Friend !  My shooting range is on the back porch/deck and the chicken is usually Popeyes brought home.  Must keep the grease from the Chicken off the guns !!!
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/20 13:58:08 (permalink)
mayor al

Hehehe, We differ only in minor points, My NasCar Friend !  My shooting range is on the back porch/deck and the chicken is usually Popeyes brought home.  Must keep the grease from the Chicken off the guns !!!

Ahh nice actually does sound like me a bit too lol.  I only have enough land to safely shoot the 10/22 and other .22s, though I have fired off .38 and even .357 at varmints before.  Still, I have small kids , and one of them is at a very exuberant stage where he just is not very mindful, so I haven't shot at home in awhile :)  I have even shot off the back deck (though was shooting to scare off a coyote that I didn't have a clear direct shot at)

At home I make my own fried chicken or my wife will make it, she hates me bringing home a bucket.  Of course a few nights a week she may be out, so I may get chicken from the KFC (popeyes is too far) or Lee's Famous, or now from the Wise Choice Citgo gas station just off I64 that has this great fried chicken.

The shooting range is too far from my house to justify going there much (about an hour 15 each way)  and the Korean place near it also too far, so they can help justify each other lol.

I like to shoot when I go on vacation since my time otherwise is limited.  but, my biggest problem as a shooter is the entire state of Maryland - too dang far to drive around plus a whole bunch of missed opportunities for roadfood.

EDITED TO ADD - I can also shoot off biirdshot too, I just don't like cleaning the shotty lol
post edited by NascarDad - 2011/07/20 14:04:44
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/20 14:23:04 (permalink)
NascarDad... I like to shoot when I go on vacation since my time otherwise is limited.  but, my biggest problem as a shooter is the entire state of Maryland - too dang far to drive around plus a whole bunch of missed opportunities for roadfood
Howdy NascarDad.
If you think YOU have a problem with shooting and Maryland, be glad you don't live here with all it's draconian laws.  One moonbat wants to propose a $1 per ROUND tax on ammo. " />  
I envy you your laws in Virginia.

NascarDad
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/20 19:16:01 (permalink)
eruby

NascarDad... I like to shoot when I go on vacation since my time otherwise is limited.  but, my biggest problem as a shooter is the entire state of Maryland - too dang far to drive around plus a whole bunch of missed opportunities for roadfood
Howdy NascarDad.
If you think YOU have a problem with shooting and Maryland, be glad you don't live here with all it's draconian laws.  One moonbat wants to propose a $1 per ROUND tax on ammo. " />  
I envy you your laws in Virginia.

Heh, I hear you there. Our laws are not perfect but getting better generally, but we have worked hard to get them; still we dont have the challenges you guys do for sure.
I know I am lucky in VA which is one of the reasons I haven't taken any jobs in Maryland, as much as I like the place and many of the people :)
Phottoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/21 10:16:15 (permalink)
mayor al

Phottoman,
Thanks for the comment. I have a question for you about the gun show circuit. How do the vendors deal with participating in shows in different States? I mean I understand the need for an FFL. but does that cover you if you do a show in Utah or Nevada, much less in California?  I see Out-Of-State Venders at the shows here in the Mid-West, but have never inquired about how State laws affect them, other than Sales Tax collection.
AL

Al, I can only comment on three states, California, Nevada and of course Arizona.  In CA you need a resale permit from the state to become a vendor, that's mandatory, no matter what you sell.  That way you file your taxes monthly, bi-annually or yearly, whatever way you set it up with your paperwork when first submitted.  I paid mine monthly, but haven't done a show there in nearly five years.

In Nevada, I file within ten days after each show, for taxes collected, and in Arizona I file yearly as a resident.

I have to point out, I do not sell guns (except for two hand guns I sold through a dealer) so I haven't had to deal with that paperwork, neither with the state nor the feds.

I sell a product that can be sold anywhere, anytime and to anyone, no age or location requirements, heck I have even sold it at Safeway and Vons markets, Wal*Mart, even at truck stops over the years, so I don't have the same restrictions that you might think, but it IS easily adapted to these shows.  It is a glass and plastic cleaner that is antifog and dust repellant for eyeglasses and can be used on scopes, binoculars, camera lenses, computer and TV screens, bathroom mirrors (you get the idea), and I have been associated with the same company for over twenty years.

The product was first introduced in 1977, and I started with the company in 1991.  In the time I have been with the company I have seen close to twenty different companies start (and fail), but we are still out there plugging along.  If you are ever at an event I am involved with, I would hope you would come up and introduce yourself.

I hope no-one thinks I am spamming here, I haven't mentioned the company name (and won't) but I really like this item, and would be glad to mention the produce to anyone that PMs me (and the price).

In the mean time I am building an AZ Cart with an eye on staying much closer to home.  That's my dream and why I joined this forum in the first place.

Photto
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/21 11:37:04 (permalink)
OK, I understand the non-gun product sales criteria. I was thinking more of the vendor who IS selling guns and ammo in various states. Crossing State lines would really complicate that process, much worse than the individual customer who purchases thru Gunbroker.com or other on-line sales.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/07/23 02:29:40 (permalink)
Well I'm glad to see 2 more firearm enthusiast here. I'm quite happy living here in WVa, a firearm friendly state.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/10 22:14:41 (permalink)
A brief update on the Bowen Armory, and a comment I want to share--
First the latest additions-
Twin Handguns- Taurus 24/7 OSS Tacticals 5.25" DuoTone Desert and Black.
   1. a 9mm 17 rd plus one, NIB sealed w/one mag.
AND
   2. A 45 acp 12 rd plus one, Test fired, new. with 4 mags. 
  This photo is the 45 acp, but the 9mm looks just like it.

Now for an unrelated comment... I think this is pretty special--
  Today my Army LT son took a convoy of vehicles to an aux base somewhere in Washington State from his home base at Ft Lewis. No big deal..10 guys counting himself.  Well they stopped at a truckstop for lunch and when they got seated in the restaurant at the truck stop, a trucker came up to my son, handed him a $100 bill and told him he wanted to pay for the lunch for all the guys.  Another symbol of people showing appreciation for the Armed Forces in This country. Justin was amazed at that reaction, and the men were very appreciative of the lunch provided by the stranger.  To top it off the restaurant manager, when he heard what the driver had done, picked up the rest of the tab that ran a bit over the $100 donation.  I think this is a really special "happening"
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18346
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/11 04:09:40 (permalink)
Al, two things: 1, Congratulations on the new acquisitions! 2, Thanks for your son and his service to our nation.

We're leaving in a little less than two hours for El Paso to see my grandson at Fort Bliss. Plans call for some green chile stops in Roswell and Las Cruces, among other places, with a return visit on the trip home to the Bobcat Bite.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/11 04:52:30 (permalink)
MH
 Glad to read that the journey continues. Have a great ride !
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/12 01:05:07 (permalink)
This evening I attended a gun auction in our local community hall. It was the sale of one guy's collection of about 240 guns of various types and calibers.
 I am home with eight more firearms than I owned before going downtown. It was a really fun auction  with lots of time for inspecting and checking any possible items. Most of the guns were very lightly used, or NIB items. No junk on this one.
Here's the list of my new additions. Hopefully we will get some photos to add later to this post.

1. M1 Carbine, 30 caliber Chrome Nickel plated with wood stock and 30 rd chromed mag.
2. Interarms SA Virginia Dragoon 44 mag revolver 7.5" Barrel, SS finish
Winchester Model 1300 deluxe pump action 20 ga, 26" barrel.
4. Winchester Model 100 semi-auto carbine 308 caliber w/scope. Carbine version of my 308 rifle
5. Marlin 444s in 444 marlin caliber lever action. Great big-game brush buster.
6. Marlin 336cs lever action in 35 Remington caliber. Another great brush-deer gun.
7. Marlin 30AS lever action in 30-30 caliber. Gun similar to this one was my grandson's "Boar-Killer" .
8. The grand finale--  a W C Scott 10 Gauge, Nickel-plated, engraved, exagerated side-hammer Shotgun. Reputed to have a great deal of value on the collectors lists...we'll see !
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/12 07:42:41 (permalink)
mr mayor, that's an impressive little haul from the auction.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/12 08:14:26 (permalink)
The Mayor now has a arsenal of huge proportions and a huge bunch of change invested.  He should soon open his own museum.

Personally I have about 15 guns of various sorts.  Most of them were left to me by my deceased father.  I have never shot them and probably never will.  Even with ear protection, the noise really makes my ears ring.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/13 22:12:46 (permalink)
OK  Here are a few photos of some of the loot from the auction. I love open auctions, and this one was a dandy.  Here is a list of the firearms I took home.
1. M1 Carbine, 30 caliber Chrome Nickel plated with wood stock and 30 rd chromed mag.
2. Interarms SA Virginia Dragoon 44 mag revolver 7.5" Barrel, SS finish
3 Winchester Model 1300 deluxe pump action 20 ga, 26" barrel.
4. Winchester Model 100 semi-auto carbine 308 caliber w/scope. Carbine version of my 308 rifle
5. Marlin 444s in 444 marlin caliber lever action. Great big-game brush buster.
6. Marlin 336cs lever action in 35 Remington caliber. Another great brush-deer gun.
7. Marlin 30AS lever action in 30-30 caliber. Gun similar to this one was my grandson's "Boar-Killer" .
8. The grand finale-- a W C Scott 10 Gauge, Nickel-plated, engraved, exagerated side-hammer Shotgun ! 
    Here are three photos of the 10 Gauge W C Scott sxs shotgun. It has a side-lock, visible in the second photo, and is apparently nickel-plated, with 30 inch barrels. Note the elaborate Hammers and engraving .

Here is the SS 44 magnum copy of the SAA, but named the Virginia Dragoon.

And finally a look at my kitchen table as we go thru the identification and recording of Serial Numbers etc. The tree lever actions are--from top-bottom, A Marlin in .35 Remington caliber, A Malin in 30-30 caliber, and a Marlin in 444 caliber ! Under those saddle guns is a Twin to my Win Mod 100 308... a Model 100 "Carbine Version, also in 308. That is Janet's new "Pig Gun" as we prep for another trip to Texas this winter to refill our freezer with that great Wild Pork !!!

More to follow.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/14 15:09:34 (permalink)
mayor al

MH
Glad to read that the journey continues. Have a great ride !

Unfortunately, something came up and we had to turn back after reaching Springfield, Missouri.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/14 15:15:32 (permalink)
Nice haul there, Mr. Mayor. My newest acquisition -- a gift from my traveling companion -- is a pre-'64 Winchester Model 70 in .30-06.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/14 17:05:04 (permalink)
Sounds like she wants y0u to go Elk Hunting !!
Question for you.  I really don't want to pay for a formal appraisal on that 10 ga shotgun I got at the auction. Some of the prices for similar guns on the net are quite high. Do you know of any way to trace the history of an English Shotgun using the net for the search? It comes from W & C Scott & Sons LONDON. I have found that the W C Scott company was bought out by Webley Arms and some shotguns are now being made using the Scott name.
  Any advise on researching this one will be appreciated. It may not be worth what I paid for it, but then again, it may be worth more!!!
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/14 17:15:16 (permalink)
I guess my assessment is I would NEVER sneak up on Al or Mr. Hoffman. My husband is a collector, too, but cant discuss this here...
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
RE: Firearm lovers. 2011/08/15 08:01:22 (permalink)
Al, I thought you were done 10 or 12 guns ago :)
keep up the good work!
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1