The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Firearm lovers.

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 29 of 42, messages 841 to 870 of 1251
mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 07/1/12 12:47 PM (permalink)
OK
Just to share a few visuals..
Here is the Ruger 44 Magnum John Wayne Blackhawk.

And the Italian R I E "Yellow Rose"  Gold-Plated 22/22mag

An odd gun caught my eye. A Charter Arms Explorer II  22 semi-auto. it reminds me of my old Mauser Broomhandle...for $100 I grabbed it.

Then comes the "rest of the stuff" Several 22's-38's-44 Spl- and 5 shotguns and a Ruger 10-22. Here's some of that stuff-

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 07/1/12 1:18 PM (permalink)
    Holy cannoli!!!!!!!!!

Nice haul.

eruby

• Total Posts: 586
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 07/2/12 8:22 AM (permalink)
      General Patton's comment on pearl handles notwithstanding (), that is a mighty fine load of guns mr. mayor!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 07/4/12 6:12 AM (permalink)
        Al, the charter arms is probably a real POS! It is 1 of only 2 guns I've ever sold. Jam-O-Matic. Otherwise a very nice haul.

Gun auctions around here you'll see used stuff going for more than new. I'm talking about stuff still being made.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 07/4/12 11:00 AM (permalink)
          Yeah Mike, that happens here too. The auction in May I attended was pretty much that way. Most of the guns I bought were/are new in the box. I got some very good deals in that one...coming home with 9 that I described earlier. This time I got 5 shotguns and a 22 rifle, and 11 handguns for the same money spent at the other. The crowd AND the bidding were a whole different level at this one...I really was surprised.  I could have purchased another dozen items, if I had pushed a little, as they went "cheap". But I caught myself and put on the brakes, despite what you guys are saying right now about 17 guns not being much of a 'slowdown'!!!

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 07/4/12 11:46 AM (permalink)
            Not much of a slowdown.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
              RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 07/4/12 5:42 PM (permalink)

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 07/5/12 2:28 PM (permalink)
                Here are a couple of photos of the German made Single Action 44 magnum imported some years back by Hawes Firearms. In the first photo you see the cowhide holster/belt set that came with the revolver. The gun fits me fine...The gunbelt does not even come close !!!

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 07/5/12 2:38 PM (permalink)
                  But, but, there's no room for a scope in that holster. At my age I scope almost all my handguns.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 07/5/12 6:55 PM (permalink)
                    Here is something for you to "scope out", My Friend !!

A  TEXAS  TAN  LINE

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 07/5/12 7:09 PM (permalink)
                      What a neat surfboard.

eruby

• Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 07/6/12 10:43 AM (permalink)
                        Michael Hoffman

What a neat surfboard.
                        I don't see any surfboard.  

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 07/7/12 5:31 PM (permalink)
                          Mike S and MH, I received the formal appraisal back from the service I contracted with to determine the history of the Ruger BlackHawk I posted recently here. While I know this will disappoint you guys, Janet and I were thrilled to learn that this is indeed an aftermarket comemorative revolver with an estimated maket value between $1800 and $2000.  I am also paying Ruger for a history of this particular revolver, and will establish a sale price after getting the second appraisal completed.  This could be a real 'treasure'  ! Needless to say Janet is pleased with my purchase.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 07/9/12 3:41 AM (permalink)
                            Good for you! I take it you paid considerably less?

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 07/11/12 12:47 PM (permalink)

Guys,
                              I do have the S&W Model 22A pistol up for sale on the usual gun-websites, but meantime I am learning A LOT about the quality of this pistol. Three of us have fired the gun, using Spinner targets at 30-35 yards, and water bottles (half-liter) at between 40 and 50 yards. The gun shoots very well. Gettin 8 hits out of a 10 round magazine on the first try with this weapon is a pretty good result for a shaky old guy...and Janet has not done any pistol firing before, so the whole concept was new to her.  Anyway, I am very impressed with the Smith and it's results.  I did add a Red-Dot sight , but haven't had the time to zero it yet.
                              Here it is, looking very "Star Wars's-ish" if I do say so myself. Performance review coming.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 07/12/12 6:41 AM (permalink)
                                Al, I have an older Smith .22lr pistol, a M41I Think. It is very accurate too. I rarely shoot it though. I prefer my Ruger MkII.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
                                  RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 07/12/12 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                  Off-topic

MikeS.
                                  <message edited by MikeS. on Thu, 07/19/12 9:18 PM>

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Thu, 07/19/12 9:17 PM (permalink)
                                    For 5 years and 4 months this thread has gone along nicely. I was surprised it didn't go to Hell in the 1st month, or less.
                                    So here is my suggestion. If you don't like firearms, then stay the Hell outta here. You all know that political discussion isn't allowed on this board. Contrary to some opinions WE the Mods try to keep it fair. But I think we all know what opinions are like, everyone has one of those as well.

DO NOT discuss the politics of firearms here. This is not the forum for that. There are numerous web forums for you to do that on. Not here.

Once again; If you don't like firearms, then stay the Hell outta here.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 07/20/12 6:22 AM (permalink)
                                      I endorse Mike's statement 100%. We really have tried to keep the political position statements out of this discussion.  It is difficult to talk about the differences in the various State's laws and regulations dealing with firearms, without 'editorializing' an opinion about those rules, but it is important to do just that.
                                        Keep the discussion focused on the topic, and not the political future, and the thread will continue to share info between those who care about the 'sport' (or hobby).
                                        If you want to be a political activist and voice your opinions regarding the 2nd amendment or firearms in any political context, go find a forum to do that. Leave this one alone.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                                        • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 07/20/12 6:06 PM (permalink)
                                        Howdy, brothers! Haven't been around these parts in a while since I took a  job with a hot dog company in Chicago, four years back. My latest score is a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge riot gun, circa 1954, factory refinished. Kinda looks like this one: www.collectorsfirearms.com/remington-870-wingmaster-12-ga-shotgun.html# but cost me a whole bunch less. Way less!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 07/20/12 6:45 PM (permalink)
                                          Excellent Shotgun for a home defense gun !! if yours looks as good as that Texas Gun you have one to be proud of !

eruby

• Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 07/23/12 2:42 PM (permalink)
                                            Very nice CSD!  Also love the dinosaur term 'riot gun'. 

I bought a Pardner Pump some time ago as the deal was too good to pass up.  I'm sure in time, I'll also pick up an 870, as that was what I really wanted all along.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 07/23/12 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                              The only 870 I have left is a Special Purpose (deer) slug gun with a rifled barrel. The SP has a plain wood stock and a dull, (looks Parkerized) finish. I also have an 1100 SP with a rifled barrel. I have unrifled barrels for both. Both are three-inch 12s.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                                                RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 07/23/12 7:42 PM (permalink)
                                                The Marines didn't let me keep my favorite.......a 106. Oh, I know the new stuff is more useful in combat, and I'm glad that today's Marines have the good stuff, but what a sense of satisfaction to get an exact hit on a target too far away to see with the naked eye. It used a 4 part system. 1. scope the target 2. fire a 50 cal spotting round 3. repeat and adjust as needed to get exact sighting 4. Fire the 106. It was a crew served weapon, but 1 guy could run it very well unless it needed to be moved. Sgt Reckless, a great Marine hero (and a horse), carried an earlier, smaller model in Korea.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 07/24/12 6:53 AM (permalink)
                                                  One of the Military supply store chains has one of those tracked vehicles with a 6 pack of the 105/106mm Recoiless Rifles mounted on it. I believe it is called the "Ontos" or something that sounds like that. I saw a demo of that being fired during my BCT at Ft Ord in 1960, Alot of firepower stuck on a jeep-sized track !! 
                                                     I always wondered why they called those guns "Recoiless Rifles"?

Tampico

• Total Posts: 84
                                                    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 07/24/12 6:57 AM (permalink)
                                                    Saiga 12 is really the best shotgun for home defense. Everyone needs a 20 rd drum. You can even get a bull-pup stock for it now. kushnapup.com

<message edited by Tampico on Tue, 07/24/12 6:58 AM>

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 07/24/12 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                                      Tampico,
                                                      I really like my Saiga 12, but I limit my mags to the factory 5 rounders for ease of carry and movement. I have a couple of 10 and 12 round stick mags but they seem so long and heavy that the whole balance of the gun is altered. I picked up a loaded drum one time and set it down again...It was very heavy (to me) and I don't think I would like to go walking in the woods with one on my gun.  It would  be fun to talk to a game warden with a drum full of slugs on my Saiga !!!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                                                        • Location: Millbury, MA
                                                        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 07/24/12 9:45 PM (permalink)
                                                        mayor al

I always wondered why they called those guns "Recoiless Rifles"?

Because there is no recoil. A back-blast out the back of the rifle counteracts the recoil from the bullet going out the front. That is why it is so light. The "bullet" is actually 1mm larger than a 105 howitzer round, but because there is no recoil it was mounted on a jeep, or a "mule" (an ATV type mini truck with an air cooled gas engine), or man carried by just a few people. The back-blast zone was very dangerous. In a demonstration I saw a 55gal can filled with water blown hundreds of feet by the backblast. An absolute blast to fire too.......

The Ontos, (tank killer) carried 6 of them. It was a very lightly built "tank" that was easily killed itself. The idea was to fire and scoot (the backblast gave away the location). The VC didn't have many tanks to kill, but they quickly figured out how to kill the Ontos. The 106 stayed around long after the Ontos system was scrapped.

As for shooting the 106.........If you like plinking beer cans with a 22 at 100 yards, think how great it would be to plink at 1000 yards or more. More fun than anything (legal) that I can think of......
                                                        <message edited by tmiles on Sun, 08/5/12 11:46 AM>

Tampico

• Total Posts: 84
                                                          • Location: Tecumseh, MI
                                                          RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 08/1/12 12:14 PM (permalink)
                                                          mayor al

Tampico,
                                                          I really like my Saiga 12, but I limit my mags to the factory 5 rounders for ease of carry and movement. I have a couple of 10 and 12 round stick mags but they seem so long and heavy that the whole balance of the gun is altered. I picked up a loaded drum one time and set it down again...It was very heavy (to me) and I don't think I would like to go walking in the woods with one on my gun.  It would  be fun to talk to a game warden with a drum full of slugs on my Saiga !!!

Have you seen this: kushnapup.com
                                                          <message edited by Tampico on Wed, 08/1/12 12:16 PM>

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 08/11/12 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                                            I have seen the Bullpup version of the Saiga...It's not for me. Plus the costs are "Way High" !

Used the Knob Creek Gun Ranges this morning to set, align, and then do a zeroing exercise for the scope-sights on the three rifles we will be taking a month from today to our Missouri Hog Hunt. Janet will be using the Ruger 44 magnum carbine. I think my primary choice will be the Ruger Mini-30 (7.62x39mm) I got from Sundancer last winter.  The alternate choice is my Winchester Model 100 in .308 caliber.  All three now have scopes set at a 100 yard zero, and we will be practicing a lot in the next few weeks , working on getting tight groups at 50 and 75 yards as well as the 100 yard mark.  I am glad I have a pretty good supply of ammo, as both of us need considerable practice to improve our shooting skills.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 29 of 42, messages 841 to 870 of 1251

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com