The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Firearm lovers.

Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > >> | Showing page 33 of 42, messages 961 to 990 of 1251
Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 10/6/12 7:57 AM (permalink)
mayor al

Since I can claim Columbus as my Place of Birth, I naturally feel the pride in the positive comments about the food there. Truth is, I know nothing about my city of origin, except we try to pass thru it on our way to our family historic area N E of the city.

Now. To put to rest the "Purple Haze"
Here are a "BEFORE  AND  AFTER" photo of my alternate Ruger 10/22 rifle.  Photo 1 shows the rifle in it's factory stock.  And Photo 2 shows it in it's new custom stock.  It took about 5 minutes and some tapping here and there, but it did fit without any modification. The shooting test will be coming later today.

Photo 1

And after the cocoon falls away,  Photo 2-

Scope mounting will be coming soon. I am pleased with the handling of the new stock. It does fit well.

I went the same route on a 10/22. After a while I ended up changing it back. The streamline stock version was easier to carry around in the woods. I agree the other stock looked cool. But I found it less comfortable. Using a sling on the stock one was better also. If you were shooting at the range off bags I like the replacement.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 10/6/12 11:29 AM (permalink)
    Russ,
      My walk and shoot days are pretty well gone. The 22's get used on the back deck with the rail serving as a benchrest for me. Works well for sharing time with some of the granndsons !  I will save the original stock for possible reuse in the future.

We  took delivery of two motion-detctor driven game cameras this morning. Mounting them at two locations on our property, we hope to capture some images to share of nocturnal wildlife enjoying the 'midnight buffet'.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
      RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 10/8/12 4:14 PM (permalink)
      First night with the game cameras on...caught a large Bunny in a photo, but thats all. Tonight will be our second try.

Meantime got the scope on the new 22. It looks better to me now...and Janet says she likes it. (A good sign)

Russ Jackson

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 10/8/12 6:40 PM (permalink)
        The 10/22 is in one of the great guns ever. It and a Walther G22 are my go to 22s when hunting squirrel or rabbit. Great first gun for anyone and they will keep it forever. The older ones have more metal parts. Tons of aftermarket stuff also. I love the G22. Some people have jambing issues and can be a bitch to clean. Mine fires great on High Velocity Federal 38 gr HP ammo. Hates Blazer. I actually use a product called Gun Scrubber on it as I hate to break it down all the way. Its the only gun I clean that way.
        Here they are side x side.

<message edited by Russ Jackson on Mon, 10/8/12 6:43 PM>

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 10/22/12 12:40 AM (permalink)
          It was another fine auction weekend for us. We got some very nice things, at what we consider to be bargain bids.
          Here are a couple of guns that rank near the top of my 'bucket list' for collection
          An Italian Replica of the Remington 1875 "Outlaw". Case-Hardened Frame with Blue Cylinder and barrel. It is in .357 magnum caliber.

And  A Browning BLR Model 81 Levergun in 30-06, What a beauty

I am expecting my new Ruger 44 magnum Carbine to arrive today...as will the thumbhole stock I ordered for it (to replace the factory black plastic stock) Photos as soon as I get it together. Thanks to UPS Tracking for letting me follow my coming collection items.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 10/22/12 11:27 PM (permalink)
            Nice stuff Mr. Mayor. I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet your safe is bigger than my safe.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
              RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 10/23/12 1:24 AM (permalink)
              Yeah, My specially trained K-9 Killers will "WAG any intruder to death" breaking the burgalars kneecaps with a mighty 'swish of the tail" !
              Here they are in their Doggie Dress Uniforms, standing guard.

Russ Jackson

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 10/23/12 11:37 AM (permalink)
                mayor al

It was another fine auction weekend for us. We got some very nice things, at what we consider to be bargain bids.
                Here are a couple of guns that rank near the top of my 'bucket list' for collection
                An Italian Replica of the Remington 1875 "Outlaw". Case-Hardened Frame with Blue Cylinder and barrel. It is in .357 magnum caliber.

And  A Browning BLR Model 81 Levergun in 30-06, What a beauty

I am expecting my new Ruger 44 magnum Carbine to arrive today...as will the thumbhole stock I ordered for it (to replace the factory black plastic stock) Photos as soon as I get it together. Thanks to UPS Tracking for letting me follow my coming collection items.

Looks like the quality on the Remington copy is very nice. BLR is a great rifle...Russ

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 10/29/12 10:09 AM (permalink)
                  OK  We have our Deer Permits...One Buck and two does for each of us.
                  Here are the results of yesterday mornings camera action in our garden, about 30 feet from our back deck. You can see the deck in the background of the daylight photo.
                  We counted 6 does in the group at the 6AM photo. Note the times on the three sequences.  About 2 hours apart.

We have seen a few small Bucks, and one big guy... a 10 [pointer that I hope to get a photo of soon...and more than that when I can !

Uncle Groucho

• Total Posts: 207
                    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 10/29/12 1:36 PM (permalink)
                    I almost got one on the way to work this morning, I swear he jumped over the hood of my car, Do I need a tag for that?

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 10/29/12 3:10 PM (permalink)
                      Uncle...  Ron White, one of Jeff Foxworthy's team, does a comedy routine where his brother brags on the ballistics of his high powered rifle at getting a deer  from xxx yards at xxx speed etc. Ron White cuts off the bragging by saying his van was only doing 50 mph when the deer jumped out to commit suicide.  It was funnier on TV, but just accents the number of deer we see on or beside the road alost daily.
                      We are looking forward to opening day, when both Jan and I will do our best to even the count for our freezer.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 11/2/12 3:25 AM (permalink)
                        The 10 pointer we are hoping to get was back at sunset last night. I don't know how he avoids the game-cameras, but so far he has. He doesn't panic and run when we come out on the deck to observe him from about 75 yards distance...hehehe his days are numbered.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 11/2/12 7:52 AM (permalink)
                          I don't know, Mr. Mayor. Isn't there a law in Indiana that prohibits discharge of a firearm for hunting within 500 feet of a dwelling? There is in Ohio.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Fri, 11/2/12 9:32 PM (permalink)
                            Nope. Only in "Urban Areas" as identified by our government. Our neighborhood remains "Rural-Agricultural" !! We do take care to lay out fields of fire that are 'background clear'.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sat, 11/3/12 8:44 AM (permalink)
                              Even in farmland here the 500 foot mark is the law.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 11/4/12 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                Two items that might interest some of you.
                                I have a Marlin 1894 .357 magnum saddle-gun on Armslist that I am finding has a LOT of interest. I have a bunch of interesting trade offers, and a $650 shipped, cash offer. I did not think this gun would draw this much interest. Decision time coming soon.

Now about the deer.  Here are three photos taken with our little Canon Point-n-Shoot camera  at sunset last night. The single doe is 30 yardsw away from our kitchen door. The two does are 40 yards out, and the three in the tree-cover are about 50 yards away. Two small bucks came in about 30 minutes later...too dark to photo. Maybe the game cameras caught them.
                                here's the results from yesterdays porch photos

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 11/4/12 10:39 AM (permalink)
                                  I see lots of venison just waiting to be wrapped and frozen. And look at all those backstraps.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 11/4/12 12:22 PM (permalink)
                                    Michael,
                                    I always figured you for a 'Backstrap Man'. I've always preferred 'Brisket', but at my age Burger is fine also !! (Grin)

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 11/4/12 2:53 PM (permalink)
                                      Backstraps and liver go right into the Ziplock, as I no longer do my own butchering. The rest goes to the processor.

Uncle Groucho

• Total Posts: 207
                                        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 11/4/12 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                        Im not to big on venison steaks, only because im a WellDone kind of guy, But I truly love summer sausage made with extra Garlic and black pepper, and I will never turn down a good pot of Bambi Chili. Burgers are good also.Ah hell, Id probably eat a steak as well.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 11/4/12 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                          Roasts are good, too.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 11/4/12 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                            My neighbor gave me some back straps a few years ago and I didn't know what they were. Oh my gosh!!! That was the most wonderful tender meat I have ever had. I served them to my sister and nephew who are not big venison eaters who absolutely loved them!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Sun, 11/4/12 5:13 PM (permalink)
                                              Yeah, Backstrap medallions are outstanding ! We have most of Janet's Missouri Doe  done in very mild-seasoned ground venison,  in two-lb tubes.  We kept the straps, and a couple of roasts too. Saved the liver and heart for the dogs.
                                              I am even more pleased at the pork sausage the Missouri crew made for us. We have a lot of it 90% is the mild-seasoning, and a few tubes of the Spicy. The Spicy is not all that "hot" It has a 'Black Pepper' aftertaste that mixes well with the rest of the seasonings. Out of 380 lbs of Pork, we have about 80 lbs of Sausage in 2 lb tubes.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 11/6/12 8:37 AM (permalink)
                                                Election day is important... But eleven days til opening day of gun season is also a big day for us. This photo, 30 minutes old at this time, shows does leaving our yard via the neighbors.  Still no bucks in close. We've seen some but always at night.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Tue, 11/6/12 10:02 AM (permalink)
                                                  Twenty days till the gun season for deer opens here. Of course, bow season began a long time ago, and it continues through January. Our statewide muzzleloader season is more than a month away, and our early muzzleloader season was last month.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 11/7/12 7:36 PM (permalink)
                                                    One of the game cameras caught some does in the yard this morning. A few minutes later, the Buck stopped by. The time indicated is off by an hour...they are still set for Daylight time.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Wed, 11/7/12 7:45 PM (permalink)
                                                      They look delicious!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 11/12/12 7:56 AM (permalink)
                                                        14 new additions to the 'family' as a result of this weekends auction.
                                                        Most are flippers, here only to leave so the keepers will be paid for.
                                                        Interesting items (photos later)  A Walther G22 Bullpup-  A Ruger Charger,  and a fine looking Smith 9mm SS #5906.

Russ Jackson

RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 11/12/12 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                                          mayor al

14 new additions to the 'family' as a result of this weekends auction.
                                                          Most are flippers, here only to leave so the keepers will be paid for.
                                                          Interesting items (photos later)  A Walther G22 Bullpup-  A Ruger Charger,  and a fine looking Smith 9mm SS #5906.

The G22 is a great gun. Very accurate and a blast to shoot. It can be a bitch to clean and you can change it over for a lefty. I might get blasted here but I clean it with Gun Scrubber. It can also be a little temperamental about ammo. I use Federal 22 hollow points. Its my squirrel gun. If you like iron sights they are great. 

Russ Jackson

• Joined: 11/28/2007
                                                            RE: Firearm lovers mailbox Mon, 11/12/12 1:16 PM (permalink)
                                                            Have you seen this: Mossberg 464™ SPX
                                                             http://www.mossberg.com/p...nterfire-464-spx/41026

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > >> | Showing page 33 of 42, messages 961 to 990 of 1251

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com