The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Firearm lovers.

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 42, messages 121 to 150 of 1251
Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 04/13/07 7:32 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

Hey Bo, welcome to Roadfood!

I've been buying 9mmLuger ammo at WM the past couple weeks, getting Winchester WB for 7.97 a box of 50. About the cheapest centerfire I can buy for practice ammo. For my new .45 I bought 500 rnds of Wolf ball at 12 bucks for 50 rnds. I warm up with the 9 for about 100 rounds then hit the .45 for 100. Tomorrow is range day, I'll be using my 9mm, the .45 and my Ruger 10/22. I also have a Ruger M77 in .22lr that I need to sight in with a new scope.

I just love range day!

MikeS.

Have you checked <cheaperthandirt.com> ? They have good ammo prices.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
    RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 04/13/07 1:06 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

I prefer gun shows to buy weapons. Currently I'm on the other side of the bell curve and am selling mine.

But I've always prefered the Colt 1911A1 (mid sixties manufacture date) as a carry, a Brazilian copy as a practice piece, a Ruger 22/45 MkIII as a low cost trainer and a S&W Bodyguard .38 as a backup. Of course the shotgun behind the seat of the van might get pulled also.

Never had to use any of them and I think that having them caused that result. Had one young man remark "Don't F*** w/ that crippled up old man". I took it as a compliment.

Thing is I feel naked when getting on an airplane now. I remember a Archie Bunker episode where he advocated everyone boarding an airplane be issued a handgun. Comical but...I'm just joking.

A few years ago, Penn from "Penn & Teller" (sp?) wrote a piece that I saw in a magazine. It turns out that his act is just part of his life. For his day job he is a member of some think tank. As I recall the title was "Let the terrorists do the profiling". His premise was that rather than take weapons from the 99.999% of good folks who fly, we should let the bad guys worry. "Will that little old lady jam a knitting needle through my kidney?", "will that little old guy pull out a pistol?". It has been a long time since I saw it but the theory has been widly repeated.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
      RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 04/13/07 1:26 PM (permalink)
      I have not had a chance to get to the range in two weeks and I'm shooting an IDPA match Sunday.

John

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
        RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 04/13/07 3:31 PM (permalink)
        Much hope on many shots in the ten ring.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
          RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 04/13/07 8:24 PM (permalink)
          Good shooting to you John. I ordered some new ammo this week from Buffalo Bore: 38 special, defense full wadcutter. More powerful than 38+p with less recoil and less flash.868fps@251ft.lbs from a 2" barrel and 1005fps@336ft.lbs. from a 4"barrel. 14-16 inches of penetration as it cuts/crushes a "cookie cutter" full diameter hole with a hard cast bullet that won't deform or mushroom. This round is properly lubed and won't lead the barrel as typical target wadcutter.

CSD

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 04/14/07 7:20 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Good shooting to you John. I ordered some new ammo this week from Buffalo Bore: 38 special, defense full wadcutter. More powerful than 38+p with less recoil and less flash.868fps@251ft.lbs from a 2" barrel and 1005fps@336ft.lbs. from a 4"barrel. 14-16 inches of penetration as it cuts/crushes a "cookie cutter" full diameter hole with a hard cast bullet that won't deform or mushroom. This round is properly lubed and won't lead the barrel as typical target wadcutter.

CSD

Thanks CSD. I've always felt that wadcutters would be devestating..

John

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
              RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 04/14/07 11:59 AM (permalink)
              If you hand load look at a standard wadcutter bullet. Invert it and it becomes a super hollow point. Do this and stand by the concept of "better to be tried by twelve than carried by six".

chicagostyledog

RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 04/14/07 1:30 PM (permalink)
                Here's the Buffalo Bore info: www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#standard38 Item 20D is the defense round.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 04/15/07 3:01 AM (permalink)
                  V960, for over 20 years I've heard stories of how DAs hate handloaders and love to prosecute people that use them. Even more so then people that used factory ammo.

I know that I'd never chance it, I always use factory ammo in the HD firearms. Range use is a different story though.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 04/15/07 3:21 AM (permalink)
                    One of the gun boards I particapate in, www.xdtalk.com, has been discussing ammo prices and the balloning cost thereof. WM still seems the cheapest place to buy from for most ammo, when you can find it. My local WM is always low on stock. I made it to another WM Friday night and they had a better selection. When they have what you want the prices beat on-line ordering that then charges you shipping. Shipping ammo is expensive.

The XD board has been discussing Blazer Brass ammo at WM for 9.97 a box of 50 .45acp fmj. Some people have been finding it at that price and others like me have found it at 10.97. This other WM had 4 boxes, I bought all 4. This beats the Wolf steel cased stuff I bought at 12.00 a box. I'll be looking for more of the Blaser Brass stuff.

I also found another online store off of the XD board that has the Speer Gold Dot at great prices, I'll let ya'all know more when my order comes in.

MikeS.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                      RE: Firearm lovers. Tue, 04/17/07 2:20 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I used to include a handgun in my Airplane luggage when I traveled.. The laws have made that a very complex activity So I don't do it now. It is even hard to be aware of all the various state laws when you travel by car from state to state. Carrying a gun in a vehicle unloaded is not going to help in that emergency "self defense" situation, but carrying a loaded weapon may be a felony in some states.
                      I used to have a great concern about those things (more than now) because if a teacher (in California) is convicted of a felony (even a weapons felony) they will lose there Teaching Licence permanently. Thus being convicted of carrying a loaded gun in my car could have cost me my ability to work in the state in my career field. Somehow that doesn't balance against the freakin' gangbanger who robs me with a TEC 9 in my face and gets 'probation' for a sentence.

Too bad a teacher wasn't packing at Va Tech. There would be a lot more kids alive today....

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                        RE: Firearm lovers. Tue, 04/17/07 2:30 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
                        Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I used to include a handgun in my Airplane luggage when I traveled.. The laws have made that a very complex activity So I don't do it now. It is even hard to be aware of all the various state laws when you travel by car from state to state. Carrying a gun in a vehicle unloaded is not going to help in that emergency "self defense" situation, but carrying a loaded weapon may be a felony in some states.
                        I used to have a great concern about those things (more than now) because if a teacher (in California) is convicted of a felony (even a weapons felony) they will lose there Teaching Licence permanently. Thus being convicted of carrying a loaded gun in my car could have cost me my ability to work in the state in my career field. Somehow that doesn't balance against the freakin' gangbanger who robs me with a TEC 9 in my face and gets 'probation' for a sentence.

Too bad a teacher wasn't packing at Va Tech. There would be a lot more kids alive today....

If that teacher had stopped the killing at 5 kids, he would still be in a heap of trouble.....

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                          RE: Firearm lovers. Tue, 04/17/07 3:00 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by desertdog
                          [br

The law in Virginia prohibits anyone, even those with concealed carry permits, from carrying a firearm on campus. The Virginia legislature recently voted down a proposal to lift that ban. The lawmaker leading the fight against the bill proclaimed, after it was defeated, that now our campuses will be safe.

You might recall a 2002 shooting at another western Virginia college -- Appalachian School of Law -- where two students rushed out to their cars to retrieve their legally-owned pistols and confronted Peter Odighizuwa, a student who had just killed three people including two professors and one student, and was apparently going after more people. When he saw their guns pointing at him he dropped his own.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Firearm lovers. Tue, 04/17/07 3:33 PM (permalink)
                            I rec'd this from a friend today;

Subject: Sighting In Your Expensive Deer Rifle

New, high-powered deer rifle.............. $800.00

Quality, high-powered scope............... $500.00

Bore sighting device.......................$40.00

Forgetting to remove the bore sighting device prior to shooting, and
                            lucky to be alive... priceless

MikeS.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                              RE: Firearm lovers. Tue, 04/17/07 4:15 PM (permalink)
                              I wouldn't call myself a firearm lover, but I do feel more comfortable knowing this (S&W .357 Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman) is in the nightstand drawer. A New Jersey cop gave me the blackjack about 35 years agp and I used to keep it in my car until I found out I could get in more trouble over it than the handgun (in Florida anyway). So far, never had to use either one. pb

Dude111

• Total Posts: 582
                                RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 04/18/07 5:23 AM (permalink)
                                People are complaining about Firearms even more yelling about "Gun Control" since 33 people were killed the other day in Virginia!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

They dont realize GUN CONTROL wont stop CRIMINALS from getting and using guns!!

My heart goes out to all the families of the vics....

Here is Bush with a statement on the shootings (Audio)

http://podcast.medianext.com/stations/kyw/media/mpeg/President_Reacts_To_Va_Shootings-1176754376.mp3

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 04/19/07 7:40 AM (permalink)
                                  Way to go CSD, enjoy it.

John

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 04/20/07 12:04 AM (permalink)
                                    About time you bought that!

MikeS.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                      RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 04/20/07 4:24 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

What a great looking gun. The 28's have become collector pieces and now command big bucks. If that were mine, I'd never sell it and give it a work out once a month.

CSD

Thanks for the info. I had no idea it was anything special. I bought it in a Florida pawnshop in the early 80's for (I think) $200.

What do you think of these other two? The first is a .22 single shot made by J. Stevens A & T Co, Chicopee Falls,Mass USA Serial #46858. It came to me after my father died.

The second is a Ruger .22 long rifle Mark II Target with a Burris 2X scope. I bought it with 3 clips, ammo, and a guncase in the late 80's from a friend who needed the cash. I'm pretty sure I gave him $250.

I've never fired either one. pb

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 04/22/07 9:33 AM (permalink)
                                        I've never seen anything like that 1st one, very interesting. The ruger is just like 1 I had minus the scope.

MikeS.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 04/22/07 9:40 AM (permalink)
                                          I spent a few hours outside enjoying the great weather Saturday cleaning several of my handguns. Not a chore I like to do but the weather and the need to do so was great. My new XD was a breeze to clean which is always a good thing.

MikeS.

Oneiron339

RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 04/25/07 7:18 AM (permalink)
                                            I have a N-frame Mod 57 .41 Mag for sale if you're interested. 4" BBL and only 20 rounds fired thru it.

MikeS.

• Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 04/25/07 8:59 AM (permalink)
                                              Oneiron, I'd be tempted but for 2 reasons, it's a 41 and PP would shoot me. I've bought 2 firearms in the last 33 days plus a bunch of extras for my new .45. Oh well.

MikeS.

chicagostyledog

• Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 04/25/07 4:03 PM (permalink)
                                                Oneiron, I appreciate the offer. I've never owned a 41 caliber revolver. Like Mike, I've made two purchases in the last few months and need to keep a low profile with my gun buying with Mrs. CSD. However, I'd still like to see a photo of your 57.

Thanks,

CSD

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 04/25/07 6:49 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

Oneiron, I appreciate the offer. I've never owned a 41 caliber revolver. Like Mike, I've made two purchases in the last few months and need to keep a low profile with my gun buying with Mrs. CSD. However, I'd still like to see a photo of your 57.

Thanks,

CSD

Me too.

Thank you,

John

Oneiron339

RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 04/26/07 7:18 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

Thanks,

CSD

Coming up soon.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 04/27/07 5:36 PM (permalink)
                                                      I was out at my local gun club range today and another member showed up as I was getting ready to leave. We had seen each other before at the local gun shop but hadn't really met. I asked what he was going to be shooting and he replied a Glock 17. OK nothing to get excited over but then he said a S&W 500 too. The revolver is actually a Taurus Raging Bull chambered for the .500S&W cartridge.

WOW, I'd seen magazine ads for this hand cannon but never in the flesh so to speak. I asked if he minded bringing it out so that I might look at it, he cheerfully did so. Once he brought it out he offered to let me shoot it. Very nice of him, of course I accepted. I asked for 2 rounds, I sure didn't want to shoot up a bunch of that expensive ammo.

Here is a couple pics of the revolver;

With my 2 shots the 1st went into the upper right shoulder and the 2nd was perfectly centered COM. He said I shot it better then any other 1st timer. What a nice fellowIt is ported at the top of the barrel at the muzzle and I didn't think the recoil was all that bad. For hearing protection I used some 32db foam inserts and a pair of full ear muffs. Not loud at all with that.

You can see the round in the pics, it is a 300 grain hollow point, he said he has some 700 grainers on order.

MikeS.

chicagostyledog

• Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                        RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 04/27/07 8:57 PM (permalink)
                                                        Mike, the porting and long barrel help reduce recoil on a cannon that large. I have factory S&W model 500 impact absorbing Hogue square butt conversion grips on my 29 Mountain Gun(44 Mag). They were specifically designed to reduce recoil when using 44 magnum ammo. I shoot 44 special and with that grip, I can shoot one handed. However, I believe in gun control and always use two hands.

CSD

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 04/27/07 9:33 PM (permalink)
                                                          I've killed two whitetails, one mule deer, an elk and a bear with a Model 500 with a ten and a half inch barrel. But this past fall I took a couple of deer with a nine and a half inch barreled Ruger Super Redhawk in the new .480 Ruger. I prefer the Ruger. A couple of weeks ago I spent some time at the range with a S&W rep shooting their new 460 XVR. I got to put both .460 and .454 Casull rounds through this beauty. I'll likely take one of those on a deer hunt come fall, if I can pry one away.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 04/29/07 10:34 AM (permalink)
                                                            Michael, for a crusty old crumdungeon you sure are fast becoming my firearms hero. Before this thread I'd have never thought you to be such a firearms person. You know how we, well some of us, get this idea in our heads how another will look or act w/o every meeting them? I just never pictured you this way.

I'm happily surprised and wish I could spend a day or two picking your mind.

MikeS.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 5 of 42, messages 121 to 150 of 1251

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com