The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Firearm lovers.

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 42, messages 151 to 180 of 1251
chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 04/29/07 10:55 AM (permalink)
Same here Mike. Maybe we could organize a Roadfood Firearm Lover's Tour:

Breakfast
Range Time
Lunch
Range Time
Dinner

CSD

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
    RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 04/29/07 12:39 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

Michael, for a crusty old crumdungeon you sure are fast becoming my firearms hero. Before this thread I'd have never thought you to be such a firearms person. You know how we, well some of us, get this idea in our heads how another will look or act w/o every meeting them? I just never pictured you this way.

I'm happily surprised and wish I could spend a day or two picking your mind.

MikeS.

I've been making my living writing about hunting, shooting, fishing, etc. for a lot of years. I also do consulting work for law enforcement agencies on firearms, firearms training and tactics -- although I've cut way back on that during the past few years.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
      RE: Firearm lovers. Mon, 04/30/07 8:55 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Same here Mike. Maybe we could organize a Roadfood Firearm Lover's Tour:

Breakfast
      Range Time
      Lunch
      Range Time
      Dinner

CSD

Count me in.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Firearm lovers. Mon, 04/30/07 12:50 PM (permalink)
        I dug out my Colt Double Eagle last night to give it a good through cleaning. Meaning instead of just the barrel and slide and the top of the frame I took it all apart. The Double Eagle is basically a double action 1911, this one is in 10mm and I love shooting it.

Well I hit a problem, 2 actually. When I took off the right grip panel the top screw goes into a screw bushing which in turn screws into the frame. Actually all four screws go into a bushing. The top right one holds a part of the transfer bar system down. The bar is what goes from the trigger to the hammer, the system has the bar, a spring and the piece that is supposed to be screwed down. I'm going to call it a retaining clip.

So when I take off the grip I get about 30 seconds to see what is there and how it is laid out. Then the spring takes over and the 3 pieces go flying. Fortunately they were easy to find. I was able to figure out how to fit them back together on the frame with a little bit of effort. Except the screw bushing is still on the grip and the grip screw and it are fast together. I can't get them apart, Ive dethreaded the bushing now using needle nose pliers and vise grips. I also noticed that the transfer bar has been rubbing against the inside of the grip panel. Don't know yet what I'm going to do about that now.

MikeS.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: Firearm lovers. Tue, 05/1/07 8:27 AM (permalink)
          I was able to replace the screw bushing last night and the pistol is now operational. I talked to Colt about the grip and they want me to ship it in. I don't think I'm going to do that because of the cost. it's a lot cheaper to get a new grip.

MikeS.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
            RE: Firearm lovers. Sat, 05/5/07 7:41 PM (permalink)
            I do not wish to tell you what to do but let me tell you the Colt shop will do many things to your weapon at NO cost. They send it back w/ a short "we did this that and polished that and we hope you like it" note. They don't go as far as turning it into a race gun but they come close.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
              RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/6/07 6:20 AM (permalink)

At my dad's cabin, my brother used to put golf balls on the hill. After you hit one, it would start rolling and bouncing. You had to try to hit is as many times as you could before it rolled to the bottom.

I am wearing one of our "sidekick" hats. When you wore a "sidekick" hat, you had to talk like a cowboy sidekick, running into the room and shouting things like, "There's a fight in the saloon!" and "There's a fire in the barn!" Walking with a limp was optional.

I miss the cabin.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/6/07 10:01 AM (permalink)
                New board name Elise "Festus" T. Way cool picture of you shooting that Ruger Mk II. Do you still do any shooting?

MikeS.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/6/07 10:02 AM (permalink)
                  V960, thanks for the info. I've since found that I can ship it through my local shop for about 20 bucks. I'll probably do that.

MikeS.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                    RE: Firearm lovers. Mon, 05/7/07 11:27 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by EliseT

Nothing more sexy than a fine woman with a gun...

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                      RE: Firearm lovers. Tue, 05/8/07 12:44 AM (permalink)
                      Bushie...as long as it's not pointed at you, right?

I have always preferred the Germans, not sure why. The boys like the bigger semi-semi-barely-legal automatics, but I don't like the kick. What's funny is that it wasn't until I was in my 30s that someone taught me about lining up the "sights". It sure improved my aim. My brothers just handed me a rifle when I was 11 and got out of the way.

Now that my dad is gone and we've sold his cabin, I don't shoot anymore. There is an indoor range nearby, but it's not the same. Plus, they don't let you drink beer.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                        RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 05/9/07 9:30 AM (permalink)
                        G-34 on top - IPSC & IDPA game gun.
                        G-19 in middle - Carry gun, have two of them.
                        G-26 On bottom - Wifes gun

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 05/9/07 1:04 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

I was able to replace the screw bushing last night and the pistol is now operational. I talked to Colt about the grip and they want me to ship it in. I don't think I'm going to do that because of the cost. it's a lot cheaper to get a new grip.

MikeS.

Mike, I agree with V960. Colt will make it like new.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                            RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 05/11/07 2:03 PM (permalink)
                            I was at the range last evening and a friend wanted me to try his new "toy"... a S&W 460 XVR in .460 S&W Mag caliber. I am not a great fan of hand cannons, a .44 Mag is about as big as I wish to shoot and I prefer a .357 Colt Python as a mag. I bit and fired five rounds.

The cartridge is so massive it is only a five shot revolver but still a handful. Firing this weapon is NOT fun. This thing should be able to stop a truck, rhino (maybe) or just about anything outside of Africa. I think even a grizzley bear would go the other way if you pulled out one of these puppies.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 05/11/07 4:24 PM (permalink)
                              Here is a great picture of what NOT to do. The only way I can figure out how to show it is have you click on the link.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/SeaOx/Funny/2batf.jpg

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 05/11/07 4:54 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by V960

I was at the range last evening and a friend wanted me to try his new "toy"... a S&W 460 XVR in .460 S&W Mag caliber. I am not a great fan of hand cannons, a .44 Mag is about as big as I wish to shoot and I prefer a .357 Colt Python as a mag. I bit and fired five rounds.

The cartridge is so massive it is only a five shot revolver but still a handful. Firing this weapon is NOT fun. This thing should be able to stop a truck, rhino (maybe) or just about anything outside of Africa. I think even a grizzley bear would go the other way if you pulled out one of these puppies.

I love that 460XVR. I shot one a little while back. Definitely good for the big bears, and certainly for all dangerous African game. I'll be using it for deer, and possibly elk come fall.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Firearm lovers. Fri, 05/11/07 11:45 PM (permalink)
                                  I liked that Ruger in .500S&W I shot a couple weeks ago, what a piece.

MikeS.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/13/07 8:43 AM (permalink)
                                    I talked to a cousin in Calif. last night that I know collects single shot .22lr rifles. I wanted to buy a youth model for Ava's 6th b'day next month. He happened to have 4 of them in his "collection" I asked if he'd sell me one of them and he said NO Not what I expected to hear, for sure.

He said I'll give her one though as a present. He doesn't have any kids and said he'd love to pass along a nice rifle to someone that will use it for years to come. Way Cool! It should be at my FFl's the end of this week. I'll have to stash it in the safe until June 22nd.

I have no idea what model or make it will be. I'm sure it'll be old though, like 50+ years.

MikeS.

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/13/07 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                      I picked up one of thesemodel 230, for my grandson .http://www.crickett.com/CrickettRifle/crickettrifle.html

John

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/13/07 2:43 PM (permalink)
                                        John, how is that cricket? WM carries them for 99.99 most of the time.

MikeS.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/13/07 4:14 PM (permalink)
                                          The first .22 I bought for my grandson was a Kimber, but they no longer make that youth model. The closest thing to it that I know of is the Chipmunk. http://www.roguerifle.com/index.htm

John A

RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/13/07 5:17 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:

John, how is that cricket? WM carries them for 99.99 most of the time.

MikeS.

It's a great little gun for teaching youngsters how to shoot, well worth the money. That cousin of yours is a nice guy.

John

Catalase

• Total Posts: 15
                                              RE: Firearm lovers. Sun, 05/13/07 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                              I have heard many good things from acquaintances with children or grandchildren about the Crickett... apparently that pink finish is so popular as a gift for little girls it tends to sell right out of stock in many locations around Christmastime.

Warms my heart, that does.

KOK

• Total Posts: 333
                                                RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 05/16/07 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                                I was a little afraid to reply here as most everyone has an American made Colt, S & W, Ruger etc, but I have a Norinco 1911 .45 for almost fifteen years with many thousands of rounds through it. It was purchased for $225 and has been very reliable since day one.

I also have a Taurus 617 model .357 (the 7-shot) and if I didn't live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland where only the super-privileged may obtain carry permits, it would be my carry gun.

Thanks,

Kevin

MikeS.

• Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: Firearm lovers. Wed, 05/16/07 5:33 PM (permalink)
                                                  Kevin, no worries, I think we love all firearms no matter where they are made. I have a Hungarian made PPK clone and it is a great little piece.

A river separates Md and Va or Md and WVa but what a difference in culture, especially gun culture.

MikeS.

KOK

RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 05/17/07 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    ....A river separates Md and Va or Md and WVa but what a difference in culture, especially gun culture.....
                                                    Too true. Montgomery County (which just banned trans fats) has made it illegal to have ammunition shipped to county residents. Maryland has a longstanding ban on high capacity magazines, not to mention the requirement that handgun manufactures must ship a fired shell casing with each gun to Maryland dealers. Many friends of mine are planing to purchase guns soon in fear of what the new Governor along with the legislature may pass in gun-ban laws.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 05/17/07 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                                      KOK, I didn't know about Montgomery county and the ammo shipment ban.

KOK

• Location: Westminster, MD
                                                        RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 05/17/07 12:03 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        KOK, I didn't know about Montgomery county and the ammo shipment ban.
                                                        It's gotten NO press, and I likely would never have known except I called Cheaper Than Dirt to order and the woman asked if I lived in Montgomery County. Seems Annapolis is 'city non grata' for ammo as well. However Maryland WILL provide in-state tuition for illegal aliens.

Kevin

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 05/17/07 7:44 PM (permalink)
                                                          Md sounds more like Kalif. all the time.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: Firearm lovers. Thu, 05/17/07 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                                            I spent a couple 3 hours at a state run range today it's about a 30 minute drive from my home up in the hills above my house. I go there because my membership range doesn't allow rapid fire. I wanted to test out the Ram-Line 50 round 10/22 mags I have. I have 2 that are 10+ years old and 2 that are brand new. The 2 new ones worked fairly well but the 2 old ones were crap. They didn't want to bring the bullet high enough to feed.

MikeS.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 6 of 42, messages 151 to 180 of 1251

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 6 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com