Helpful ReplyHot!Firearm lovers.

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 23
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/03/05 21:53:02
quote:
Originally posted by John A

quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

John, since I don't have anyone yet to go in with for such a group buy I'm paying retail for ammo.

A year ago this time I was paying 11.50 for a 100 rnd box of Winchester white box 9mm 115grn fmj. It then went to 12.75 a 100 and then to 15.72 a 100. It is now 16.57 a 100. So 165.70 a thousand plus 5% tax.

I've been able to buy 9mm 115grn bullets from Midway for 30 a thousand. (3 cents apiece). I bought 1,500 pieces of 9mm brass for 20 bucks. 1.33 cents each. A lb of Bullseye powder was 15.00 and primers were 26.00 a thousand. 2.6 cents each. So for about 7 cents each or 70.00 per thousand and a couple hours of my time I have a lot of practice ammo.

I was reloading 9mm, 147 grain, jacketed HP for about $90.00 a thousand. I just checked my old source and the projectiles alone are pushing $100.00 a thousand " />. CSD has the right idea, find a local commercial reloader and deal with them. That's what we did. As a commercial guy he gets the componets a lot cheaper then we can and selling 10,000 at a time allows hime to blend our stuff in with his for an even better discount. Keep them in the ten zone.

I really don't shoot much anymore, but back in the day a fellow used to come around the popular shooting sites with a truck, sort of like a lunch truck, with all sorts of reloads for sale. It was really a good deal if you were not looking for the finest loads.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/03/07 01:39:09
Oneiron, they have just recently come out for the XD.
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/03/07 07:11:17
quote:

Oneiron, they have just recently come out for the XD.

Outstanding! I'm going to check it out. Thanks.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/03/07 07:50:00
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

Anybody here try the Crimson Trace sights? I'd like to hear some comments. Do they make one for the Springfield Armory XD?

I have CT grips on my S&W 640 pocket gun. Target acquisition is very fast. I heartily endorse them for one's carry piece.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/03/08 01:48:14
Oneiron, the site I buy most of my XD stuff from is;

www.pistolgear.com

They are decently priced and very good to do business with..

Are you familiar with www.xdtalk.com ? A good website for all XD and other firearms talk/forum.

As a heads up, CDNN has XD mags on sale at 16.99 for all calibers except .45acp. Those are 19.99 each. About the best price I've ever found.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/03/10 00:00:46
Had some fun today, went to a friends house and reloaded about 300 rounds of .357 magnum. Hoping for a decent weather day, 50* or better and little wind, this week so I can shoot some.

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/03/17 01:50:13
Went to a big gun show in Harrisburg, Pa yesterday. Saw a lot of nice guns but didn't bring any home. Did bring home powder and primers though.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/11 07:47:12
Another win for the 2nd Amendment. The “Bring Your Gun to Work” bill is sitting on the Governors desk waiting to be signed. It prohibits employers from not allowing Concealed Permit holders to leave their gun in the car while at work and parked on company property. Now we’re waiting for SCOTUS to rule on the big one.
KOK
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/11 11:12:41
quote:
Originally posted by John A
Another win for the 2nd Amendment. The “Bring Your Gun to Work” bill is sitting on the Governors desk waiting to be signed. It prohibits employers from not allowing Concealed Permit holders to leave their gun in the car while at work and parked on company property. Now we’re waiting for SCOTUS to rule on the big one.
I am envious. Here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, a bill (with much greater support than in the past and almost no opposition) to remove the 'good cause' provision from the CCP law was denied a vote in committee (for the 3rd straight year) by the committee chairman. The legislature won't pass laws allowing citizens to protect themselves but they will pass laws protecting 50s and 60s Doo Wop groups from band impersonators.

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/12 01:40:22
The PRM and the PRC are running neck to neck in denying lawful firearm owners due rights.

All I can hope for is that SCOTUS rules that the 2nd is a personal right. Some states are going to have a rude awakening. If they rule otherwise then I'll be truly sad for this once great country. Well, I already am that. I'll be even sadder.

MikeS.
Oneiron339
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/12 06:20:14
Mike S. - move South. We have some decent gun laws here. And they have even loosened them up in GA and Fl for CCP holders like me.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/12 06:40:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmTvAZvJ5Mc
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/12 06:59:18
Oneiron, WV isn't too bad. I can get a CCW here w/o issue. I can open carry. I can walk into a gun store and walk out after I pay and they make a phone call. Not too shabby. Not at all like Kalifornia.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/12 08:11:17
Florida no longer requires you to retreat before defending yourself and prohibits civil suits in a justifiable shooting.
Oneiron339
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/13 06:40:09
Going scattergunning today, getting ready for a sporting clay tourn. next week. I'll have a sore shoulder tomorrow.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/13 12:45:08
quote:

Going scattergunning today, getting ready for a sporting clay tourn. next week. I'll have a sore shoulder tomorrow.

Yeah but it's worth it. Good luck in the tourn. I shot a State IDPA match last Sunday, still waiting for someone to post the results.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/14 00:21:37
Early this year I bought my very 1st single action revolver. An old model 3 screw Ruger single-six convertible 22lr/22wmr. It has been well used and very slightly abused but boy does it shoot. I got it real cheap.

I had never liked the feel of an SA in my hand but this 1 just cried out to me. I've since bought a 2nd 1. A new model single-six convertable in stainless steel. I bought it for my b'day present back in march.

I'm now looking for a deal on a blackhawk in .357 magnum. .357 / 9mm would be a blast!
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/14 08:12:45
You're putting together quite a collection Mike, keep it up. I stumbled upon an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine yesterday in excellent condition for $350.00. Decisions, decisions.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/15 06:18:39
John, get it! They are getting harder and harder to find in that condition.
brickie
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/17 19:18:33
Hey boy!
JB. made a shootin video. BOY!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Z6JVUUC8XY
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/21 12:58:18
Watch the hands - hands kill

http://backhand.uchicago.edu/Center/ShooterEffect/
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/24 09:50:18
Spud Gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wdYk431hs
karjoe1097
Junior Burger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/27 09:49:00
Both my wife and I are very involved with shooting sports. We go to the pistol range about twice a month, yes, we take our infant daughter with us. One of us goes in to shoot, the other babysits, then we trade off. The range owner is her adopted uncle! As a present for my wife going through a challenging pregnancy, I got her the pistol she had been wanting for a long time, a H&K SOCOM, .45ACP. Both of us also have our concealed carry permits, and we do carry pretty much whenever we legally can. She carries a Glock 27, the "baby" 40 caliber. I carry a SigSauer P229, also in 40 caliber. Both of us spend a lot of time shooting 22lr, both because its so cheap, but also it's just plain fun! She has a Browning Buckmark 5.5 Target. My 22 is a Kimber slide replacement I put on a Colt 1911. I was really glad to see a firearms thread here! A fun roadtrip for me is a trip to the range then to a place to eat! Best target chooses where we eat, worst target pays!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/28 00:25:18
Hey karjoe, welcome to Roadfood. We have several here that actively support the 2nd. And our local gunshop(s).

I've got a new buddy that owns a bar and grill. I'd stopped in for lunch a few weeks ago on the way to the gun club. We got to talking and I invited hom to go with me. At the time I didn't know he was the bar owner. Anyways, I got his number and we set up a time to meet the next week. We did and while shooting he asked if I had time to stop by his bar for dinner and a drink. His bar I asked? Yep.

So now we do pretty much the same. 1 round of 10 shots from 15 yards, Ruger Mk IIs, low score pays. So far we are even.

MikeS.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/04/28 07:48:07
Welcome karjoe. Yep, you're among friends. Go back and read through the entire thread, it's interesting.
KOK
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/05/01 15:55:57
Has anyone used (or know someone who has used) the website gunbroker.com?

It seems pretty legitimate (all gun deals must go through FFLs), and it might be a way for those of us in the Peoples Republic of Maryland to get used handguns (that are on the Landespolizei approved list) otherwise unavailable, or maybe new ones, provided they come with a fired shell casing for the crack Ballistic Fingerprint Database.

It also seems like a there are good deals on some rifles, like the Mini 14, and the Henry AR-7. Little competition in Maryland drives prices way up.

Thanks for any input.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/05/02 14:45:39
Kevin,

I have sold many guns on Gunbroker with no problems. That's the easy side of the deal so I cannot relate any experiences about buying. If I were a buyer I would not send any money until the seller puts the gun in the hands of the FFL that is going to ship it to my FFL. After being notiified by my FFL that the other guy has the gun I would enclose the money in the same envelope my FFL sends his copy in. Not perfect but better then sending the money in the blind.
Oneiron339
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/05/05 08:04:28
I have bought and sold a few items on Gunbroker with no problems whatsoever. Just buy from a reputable dealer or seller.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/05/05 09:21:33
I've been tempted to purchase from Gunbroker many times. Unfortunately, I'm always out bid by those with very deep pockets. I purchase all my Smith & Wessons at gun shows or gun stores, where I know I can bargain with the seller, walk away with a great deal, and know I can resell what I purchased for a profit, should I decide to resell, which I don't. Some guns on Gunbroker are immediately resold by dealers on line for a hefty profit. When something is NIB (new in the box), bidding wars drive prices too high, since people are willing to pay the price. I won't.

CSD
Oneiron339
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/05/05 16:29:05
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

I've been tempted to purchase from Gunbroker many times. Unfortunately, I'm always out bid by those with very deep pockets. I purchase all my Smith & Wessons at gun shows or gun stores, where I know I can bargain with the seller, walk away with a great deal, and know I can resell what I purchased for a profit, should I decide to resell, which I don't. Some guns on Gunbroker are immediately resold by dealers on line for a hefty profit. When something is NIB (new in the box), bidding wars drive prices too high, since people are willing to pay the price. I won't.

CSD

That's true with anything. In an auction, you set your limit as to what you think it's worth - then don't exceed it. Just like e-bay - but only for guns. I have gotten some good deals in a few guns and particularly ammo, on Gunbroker.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/05/06 01:38:41
I've had to pretty much ban myself from that web site.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/05/06 13:07:47
quote:

quote:

CSD

That's true with anything. In an auction, you set your limit as to what you think it's worth - then don't exceed it. Just like e-bay - but only for guns. I have gotten some good deals in a few guns and particularly ammo, on Gunbroker.

Speaking of ammunition, you better stock up ASAP. I just tried to order 6,000 rounds of 9mm, jacketed ball ammunition from a commercial operator I've known for over 10 years. Lead is becoming scarce, he is having a hard time getting bullets. The last 10,000 rounds we bought were $150.00 per thousand out the door. Not even Wal Mart could match his price. Wal Marts here have no Winchester 9mm. The departmet manager told me there were none in the entire system, all wharehouses are out of them. Story is that Winchester refuses to sell them to Wal Mart at the price they want to pay. True???
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/05/07 21:14:40
3-4 months ago I was paying 15.79 a 100 for Winchester white box at WM. Now it is at 18.59 a 100.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/05/09 01:43:17
CSD, good for you. Is this an M-16 / AR-15 style rifle?
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/05/09 06:58:38
Lucky you CSD, that is one sweet rifle.
WarToad
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/10/15 16:07:08
I grew up in a non-gun family. Actually, that’s not entirely correct. My father used to duck hunt a bit but quit when I was a small boy and after that had a .22 rifle reserved for the summer ground squirrel infestations. Regardless, I was gun un-savvy. It's not that I've ever been antigun, or pro-gun control. I just grew up in a non-gun family where it was a non-issue.

Feeling like my life was somewhat stagnant and wanting to step outside my "Box" and force myself into unfamiliar and uncomfortable territory, last fall I took a "Handguns 101" class through my local shooting range. 9 hours classroom and range time, hands on exp with multiple caliber, multiple manufacturer revolver and semi-auto's. I've put in another 15 hours range time renting and trying out various makes and models and ended up buying a Glock-19. I like the weight, balance, feel in my hand. Nice trigger pull, I group well with it, just overall very comfortable and happy with it. Plus, it's pretty time tested in reliability and ease of maintenance. 9x19 ammo is cheap, common, low recoil. It seems to be my trifecta. Good range gun, easy to carry, decent home defense. Or at least a decent balance of all three.

Most of all it's opened me up to a whole new world that previously I only had an outsider's point of view, which was quite dim and critical, and I'm having a lot of fun at the range. I can pick up a gun magazine and not be lost and clueless.

My next purchase is going to be a Taurus Judge .45 Colt/.410 Shotshell revolver. I've rented one and it was a kick to shoot off 410 shotgun shells from a pistol. And you should see the target by the time you've emptied the chambers!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/10/15 17:48:46

Anyone seen a LeMatt revolver replica for sale recently?. That's one heck of a civil war piece...but the updated replica is a dandy.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/10/16 07:29:47
quote:

The sun did not shine,
It was too cold to play,
So I went to the gun store,
On this cold, cold, wet day.

And found this, which I immediately purchased.

Smith & Wesson Model 27
Unfired-New in the Box
3.5" barrel .357 magnum

CSD

CSD, you're killin' me! Very nice find.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/10/17 00:39:34
CSD, you lucky dog! Good for you, I'm glad you were able to get your dream gun. I have the M27 in a 6" and love it. Heavy but very accurate and eats full load .357 magnums for lunch and dinner.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/10/17 07:58:01
My only N frame is a 28-2 which I love. I recently saw a 6" 27-2 NIB for $600, but it was nickle and I'm not a nickle fan. Went back a few days later and it was, of course, gone.
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/10/17 10:49:41
JUST BOUGHT MY 3RD GLOCK, THIS ONE A MODEL 36 SUBCOMPACT 45 CAL, WHAT A GUN WITH VERY LITTLE KICK FOR ITS SIZE AND GREAT FOR CONCEALMENT
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/04 17:44:20
My latest find. A Romanian WASR-10 with the five 30 round magazines on the left for $375.00.

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/04 19:40:49
John..Make sure you bring this with you next time we go for lunch....
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/05 18:43:51
John, nice find and a great price. Buy more mags NOW!
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/06 06:40:58
quote:

Local gunshop sells them for $15.00. I have 50 brand new high cap Glock 17-19 mags stuck away.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/06 07:57:47
John A, I guess I'll scrap my idea of raiding your smoker.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/06 08:23:03
quote:
Originally posted by joerogo

John A, I guess I'll scrap my idea of raiding your smoker.

No problem Joe. I'll send you a map of the minefield.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/06 09:52:27
Interesting find, John A. You should have brought the WASR-10 to the Brickyard!

I totally forgot that you were a gun collector.
Russ Jackson
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/08 21:47:03
Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

As I scroll through this thread it affirms why I enjoy reading posts from you all. My two favorites are my N Frame 41 mag and Detonics 45...Russ
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/09 08:41:51
quote:

And ammo, you never can tell ......
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/10 05:22:56
Mark, go with the XD. I love mine. 10 or 16 round mags for the XD 9mm.
porkbeaks
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/10 08:39:49
I thought one of you "gun guys" might be interested in this thermos. Details[url='http://www.greatbigstuff.com/shotguncanister.html']here[/url]. pb

John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/11 12:34:02
I just rounded up a couple of friends and placed an order for 10,000 rounds of 115 grain 9mm ammunition at $160.00/thousand. No shipping charge as I'll pick it up at the next gun show. That's about $40.00/thousand less then Wal Mart white box.

Guy that owns one of the local gunshops told me his sales are up 80% over the same period last year.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/12 00:33:34
JohnA.,I wish I was close enough to be one of your friends.

I just bought 1k of Blazer Alum. case for 180 with shipping. Also bought 500 of .45auto in Al.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/12 00:37:16
PB, I like the shotgun shell mailbox better. Thanks though.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/15 02:28:30
Going to a gun show this morning right on the Mason Dickson line. Where PA and MD meet on I-81. I'll let ya'all know if I find some shooting iron I can't live without. Ammo too.
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/15 03:42:40
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it certainly is appropriate for this topic. If the moderators feel the need to do so, delete it. For those who may be interested in working in Barack Obama's administration, one of the many questions on the paperwork to be completed by such persons is: Does anyone in your family own a gun? Uh-oh!!!!!!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/16 00:11:16
^^^ Why am I not surprised?
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/16 00:18:57
Well the gun show was pretty much a bust. Wolf 7.62x39 which I paid as much as 169.00 a thousand last year was at 249.00. AKs were all at 550+. AK mags were 30+ apiece. These are used mags too. There were a lot of bolt action rifles. Actually there was a pretty good assortment of firearms.

One of the decent deals was a Saiga (AK platform) 12ga semi-auto shotgun for 595. Online I've seen recently they were all 650+. And hard to find. This dealer had at least 6 of them.

Harrisburg PA has a big show in early December. Hopefully they will be better.

I'm also going to look online for better 7.62x39 ammo prices.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2008/11/16 06:43:25
quote:

PB, I like the shotgun shell mailbox better. Thanks though.

The wife and I got a chuckle out of the mailbox. I wonder whether it would upset the letter carriers?
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 23