Helpful ReplyHot!Firearm lovers.

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 43
Author
genewj
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/03 08:40:27 (permalink)
Until my ears started giving out on me and the doc. said quit, I shot Steel, even had a target setup outside of back door at our place in Houchi Cal. When i was stressed go out the back door and Pop away with air pistol at 25 yrs with 1" steel targets.
perfect in that game is 40. forty targets knocked down of various sizes and various distances depending on the caliber of hand gun U'r using and type of sights. my best score ever was shooting chickens at 200 yrds standing using a 9 power scope and cassdt bullets in my 32-20.. routine 100 yrd 40's with .22,32-20,4.44's
Now i do not gert to shoot anymore.
I'll never forget the range masters look when at 17 in Navy bootcamp in san Diego, they took us to the range and spent hours on safety and then handed us Colt .45's to try our luck..I didn't have a single shot out of the 10 circle. Didn't shot the M1 too well however.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5421
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/03 10:25:00 (permalink)
Oneiron, I won't be doing any hunting of animals. Cans and plastic bottles though can be real mean I have a 10/22 that I just put a 3x9x40 scope on a couple weeks ago. A 3x9 because I got it used for 25 bucks. It a Simmons which is a decent brand.

I have a Mk II that currently has a Burris 2x EER scope but I really don't like the scope on this pistol. Might try it out on my .357 carbine.

The red dot would go on the Mk II if I decide to get one.

MikeS.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/03 10:30:16 (permalink)
Went to the range Friday and shot or tried to shoot my Coonan .357 magnum semi-auto. Almost every round failed to eject. I'm shooting some 10 year old reloads I did back in '98 while still living in Fresno. Either the load is too light for the action or I might have a busted ejector. I'm going to strip the pistol when I get home tonight and see if I can see anything wrong.

If these loads are just too light then I'll shoot them up in something else. Fortunately I have a few choices when it comes to .357
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/08 14:23:23 (permalink)
I went and bought a 2nd XD a couple days ago. This 1 is in 9mm and has a stainless steel slide and black polymer lower.

MikeS.
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/08 16:01:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

I went and bought a 2nd XD a couple days ago. This 1 is in 9mm and has a stainless steel slide and black polymer lower.

MikeS.

When I'm rich like you I might get another 9MM, however, I'd prefer more punch -either another .40 or a .45.
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/12 14:00:48 (permalink)
I'm a gun illiterate asking for enlightenment, please? My husband just bought a .410 pistol (I believe it also shoots .44 mags, but don't quote me on that!)for $500 or so. He was deeeeeeeelighted, and I was happy for him, but, just between y'all & me, what's the big deal? Was it maybe just one of his personal goals, or is there something special about this gun? I remember my ex had (has?) a .410 double-barrel shotgun that he taught our son to hunt with, and he was more protective of it than he was of me! What's so special about the .410? Thanks!
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/12 18:34:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lunasatic

I'm a gun illiterate asking for enlightenment, please? My husband just bought a .410 pistol (I believe it also shoots .44 mags, but don't quote me on that!)for $500 or so. He was deeeeeeeelighted, and I was happy for him, but, just between y'all & me, what's the big deal? Was it maybe just one of his personal goals, or is there something special about this gun? I remember my ex had (has?) a .410 double-barrel shotgun that he taught our son to hunt with, and he was more protective of it than he was of me! What's so special about the .410? Thanks!

IMHO, a .410 shotgun is an expert's gun. People buy them, because of the reduced recoil, for kid's first gun. Kid can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside and is discouraged. A twenty gauge is a much better idea...again IMHO. A twenty patterns well, the ammo is cheaper than .410's and you can actually hunt w/ it.

The .410 pistol is probably also able to handle a .45 long Colt round but make sure before trying this. It will fit, it will fire but having a hand cannon explode in your hand will ruin your whole day.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/12 23:23:04 (permalink)
I doubt it shoots the 44magnum, more likely the 45 long colt (LC) that v960 mentions.

As to why he likes the 410 so much I couldn't tell you. I'm not a fan of it, the ammo is too expensive.

Is the gun he bought called The Judge by chance? I've recently read and actually held one of these recently. It makes for a nice snake killer using the 410 shot shell and would be a decent home defense gun using the .45LC round.

Sorry we can't explain his fascination with it. Maybe someone else here can.

MikeS.
Oneiron339
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/13 07:13:46 (permalink)
I always liked a .410 for some unknown reason, maybe the shells looked neat, or probably because it was my first gun many moons ago. I just bought a Rem. 870 pump in .410 a few months ago. It's fun to shoot and Mrs. Oneiron likes it better than the 12 ga. It also helps wing shooting skills because you really have to be "on" the claybird to hit it.
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/13 13:04:05 (permalink)
Thanks for the .410 input. The pistol was bought (I was told) for combination home defense and shooting varmits (ie: snakes) when hubby is out hunting walking sticks. Hubby is 60+ and doesn't see/hear like he used to, but still loves the outdoors. Maybe it's an aiming thing? I dunno. Me, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at point-blank range with a baseball bat! Hubby's the usual southern redneck ex-military marksman. (Translation: can still take out a squirrel's eye @500 yds through thick vegitation.) I've noticed Southern men are usually ace shots; maybe from being raised outside with a gun hunting the next meal? My son's first gun (age 6 or so) was the aforementioned ex's .410, which he'd inherited from his grandpa. My son's a crack shot, but prefers the "peacefulness of fishing" (his quotes). Thanks again, guys! L
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/13 14:20:52 (permalink)
Heard from hubby re .410 pistol:It's a blue Taurus Model 4410 TKR/3SS; shoots 2.5" .410 shells and .45 Long Colt bullets, and has a red dot laser front sight, per the spec sheet that came with it. Dunno about "The Judge" part, nothing mentioned.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18447
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/13 14:30:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

quote:
Originally posted by lunasatic

IMHO, a .410 shotgun is an expert's gun. People buy them, because of the reduced recoil, for kid's first gun. Kid can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside and is discouraged. A twenty gauge is a much better idea...again IMHO. A twenty patterns well, the ammo is cheaper than .410's and you can actually hunt w/ it.

The .410 pistol is probably also able to handle a .45 long Colt round but make sure before trying this. It will fit, it will fire but having a hand cannon explode in your hand will ruin your whole day.

I'll have you know that a .410 firing a slug is legal for hunting deer in Ohio.
V960
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/13 15:10:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Michael,
That is unreal to think about. Ohio has deer that are MUCH larger than any NC deer it is not even funny. But then again it is basically a .45 cal shotshell. But for me when slug hunting the 11-87 SP w/ a rifled barrel comes out.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2216
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/14 11:20:10 (permalink)
I just received this in an email from an old high school friend who is a retired jarhead officer. He is not the author. pb

"Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories,without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use
reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it
wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act." By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)
KOK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/14 11:39:57 (permalink)
I was about to ask a question about the Bersa 380 when I saw your post. It is all around excellent, and because I live in the People's Republic of Maryland where only the personal shake-boy of the Governor may get a carry permit, it is even more apposite.

Does anyone have any opinions/experience with the Bersa 380 (Thunder model)? A range/gun store owner recommended it but when I tried one at another range, it operated poorly. I got the impression that the rental gun was not kept as well as my own guns so that may have been part of the problem.

Any thought on the Bersa would be appreciated. I'm also considering the Bersa .45 but have and love my Colt clone so it may be the .380.

Thanks,

Kevin
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/14 15:49:19 (permalink)
Kevin, I've heard both good and negative of this pistol. I've never fired one personally. I have a Walther PPK clone in .380 and I really like it. Look for a Walther or a clone of the PPK is my current recommendation.

I'm going to put your question up on a couple gun boards I frequent. They have a lot of insight to different guns.

MikeS.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18447
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/14 16:57:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Michael,
That is unreal to think about. Ohio has deer that are MUCH larger than any NC deer it is not even funny. But then again it is basically a .45 cal shotshell. But for me when slug hunting the 11-87 SP w/ a rifled barrel comes out.

I have rifled barrels for my 1100 and my 870. But I do most of my gun hunting for deer with revolvers.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/14 17:55:33 (permalink)
Excellent post porkbeaks, thank you.

KOK - I've owned several Bersa's and found them to be reliable when cared for.
KOK
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/15 11:46:24 (permalink)
Thanks John A. The store/range owner is someone who's opinion I trust so I indeed did think the Bersa malfunctioned due to poor maintenance. My Norinco .45 has had many thousands of rounds with little problem as I'm pretty meticulous about cleaning.

Mike S - Do you have an FEG? Do you mind if I ask the approx price of your PPK clone? I can get the Bersa for $250 +/- and I'm trying to keep price down as I'm also trying to soon buy a Mini-14 Ranch rifle as I believe either the Feds, or Maryland (or both) will again legislate against what they deem assault weapons.

Thanks again,

Kevin
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/16 12:17:36 (permalink)
Kevin, I do have the FEG but I bought it about 20 years ago, price was around 100 - 125. I like it just fine, it has been quite reliable.

I've heard back from my other gun sites about your question. A number of them have this pistol and they all like it.

MikeS.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/18 21:57:55 (permalink)
Cute;

Oneiron339
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/19 07:14:17 (permalink)
Good cartoon!
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/19 07:30:22 (permalink)
LOL, good one Mike.
V960
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/19 15:33:37 (permalink)
The cartoon reminds me of the old joke about two guys walking in the woods when they see a bear. One stops and quickly puts on a pair of running shoes...the other guy lokks at the first guy and tells him "You can't out run a bear"

"I don't have to out run the bear, just you"
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/20 08:52:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KOK

I was about to ask a question about the Bersa 380 when I saw your post. It is all around excellent, and because I live in the People's Republic of Maryland where only the personal shake-boy of the Governor may get a carry permit, it is even more apposite.

Does anyone have any opinions/experience with the Bersa 380 (Thunder model)? A range/gun store owner recommended it but when I tried one at another range, it operated poorly. I got the impression that the rental gun was not kept as well as my own guns so that may have been part of the problem.

Any thought on the Bersa would be appreciated. I'm also considering the Bersa .45 but have and love my Colt clone so it may be the .380.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin, Just ran across this -

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=24907
KOK
Cheeseburger
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/06/20 10:56:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A
quote:
Originally posted by KOK
Kevin, Just ran across this -

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=24907
Thanks John. I believe I will start to look for the Thunder .380 based on all I've read.

Kevin
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/07/08 10:35:58 (permalink)
I haven't had a chance to do any shooting for over a month now. What with PP being so sick all my time has had to go elsewhere. Heck, I had even bought a new pistol last month and I haven't fired it even once.

I'm gonna try real hard to get out this next Friday and fire off a few rounds.

There is a big gunshow in Va the last weekend of this month, real close to Dulles airport. I plan on going and am looking for a couple long guns. A Marlin camp 9 or .45 and a lever action .22lr

MikeS.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/07/08 16:50:16 (permalink)
Competition next week so I sent 200 rounds downrange today. 50 freestyle, 50 strong hand, and 100 weak hand.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/07/10 14:05:23 (permalink)
Watch about 20 feet in front of him.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8d0_1183090807
Oneiron339
RE: Firearm lovers. 2007/07/10 16:24:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

Watch about 20 feet in front of him.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8d0_1183090807

OUCH! He's pretty lucky.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1