First Trip to Boston

Author
Conlon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2010/11/02 08:21:10 (permalink)

First Trip to Boston

Heading to Boston on December 2nd staying at the Double Tree Inn Washington Street near Tufts Medical Centre.  I've read that North End is a good place to explore.  Do you know if the hotel is near there? 

Open to any suggestions, Italian, Steak, Seafood.

23 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2434
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/02 11:47:59 (permalink)
    Hi Conlon, glad you posted!  I know it's been a while since you joined but Welcome to Roadfood!  The hotel isn't really near the North End but it's easy enough to get to.  If you like to walk it is a bit of a hike but you can go through Downtown Crossing, Faneiul Hall and see lots of great sites.  There is a T station (subway) very close to the hotel.  The New England Medical center stop on the Orange line.  You can take that 4 stops to Haymarket and the North End is just a short walk away.  It's been a few years since I was there but some of my favorites have been:
    1.)  Pizzeria Regina - whole pies only, cash only (I think).
    2.)  Mike's Pastry - must have the Florentine Cannoli!  An oversized Florentine cookie rolled to form a cannoli shell and filled with mascarpone (I think) cream. A must stop for me when I visit.
    3.)  Modern Pastry - great Torrone and less crowded than Mike's but both great places for Italain pastries.
    4.) Giacomo's - nice little Italian place with very good butternut squash ravioli
    5.)  Trattoria Il Panino - my friends and I always enjoyed the food here though it has been about 10 years since I have been there
    6.) Ristorante Limoncello - had a really good wild mushroom risotto there years ago that I still dream about!
    7.)  Durgin Park - Touristy?  Sure.  But solid Yankee cooking.  Pot roast, baked beans, Indian pudding, etc...
    Hope this helps!  Enjoy Boston, I sure did when I lived there!  Happy Eating!
    Play27
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/02 12:16:16 (permalink)
    30 years ago I ate some of the best subs of my life at a shop in Boston called White Sport Subs. Giant subs with whatever, cheap and good (I thought). I wonder if it is still around?
    irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 610
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/09 15:56:15 (permalink)
    Boston!
    one of the best eating cities in the country IMHO
    These are the places I dream of going back to
    Union Oyster House for the chowder
    Anthonys Pier 4 for the Clambake
    Durgin Park and Mikes Pastry have already been mentioned but I second the rec's
    and just about anywhere for Lobster rolls and fresh oysters on the half shell
    Oh those are the things I miss living in the midwest!
    you can get them, but they are expensive and they just are NOT the same at any price....
    mmmmmm Boston.....
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/09 19:46:47 (permalink)
    Union House is an historic,ancient restaurant, been there for centuries....great just to say you were there...but the food is just Ok...We Love the Asgard Irish Pub, in nearby Cambridge..just a few blocks from MIT...or its sister pub near Government center in Boston. Here's a link.
    http://www.classicirish.com/
    Conlon
    Junior Burger
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/30 12:16:32 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.  On my way on Friday with my list of recommendations in hand.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/30 13:31:51 (permalink)
    billyboy

1.)  Pizzeria Regina - whole pies only, cash only (I think).
    2.)  Mike's Pastry - must have the Florentine Cannoli!  An oversized Florentine cookie rolled to form a cannoli shell and filled with mascarpone (I think) cream. A must stop for me when I visit.
    3.)  Modern Pastry - great Torrone and less crowded than Mike's but both great places for Italain pastries.
    4.) Giacomo's - nice little Italian place with very good butternut squash ravioli
    5.)  Trattoria Il Panino - my friends and I always enjoyed the food here though it has been about 10 years since I have been there
    6.) Ristorante Limoncello - had a really good wild mushroom risotto there years ago that I still dream about!
    7.)  Durgin Park - Touristy?  Sure.  But solid Yankee cooking.  Pot roast, baked beans, Indian pudding, etc...

billyboy's list is, as usual, spot-on (and I sure the heck wouldn't have listed Union House, either) but would also tip-in both Jasper White's Summer Shack (already discussed on this site) as well as -- and in the North End, specifically (Salem Street)...

It ain't cheap (a cheeseburger albeit adorned with, what else, oysters will run $ 15) but the place gets great reviews and is a Boston Magazine favorite. (I've been to both the Cambridge and Prudential Center locations of the Summer Shack numerous times and can personally vouch for either. I hope to hit Neptune Oyster next time I'm in Beantown. Go Sox!)

sailawayklm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/30 13:45:03 (permalink)
    I know this probably isn't considered road food, but I saw Rino's Place in East Boston on D, D, & D.  That lobster ravioli looked amazing.  Heck, all the pics on their website are making me hungry.  Has anyone checked that place out?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7898
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/30 14:11:49 (permalink)
    sailawayklm

I know this probably isn't considered road food, but I saw Rino's Place in East Boston on D, D, & D.  That lobster ravioli looked amazing.  Heck, all the pics on their website are making me hungry.  Has anyone checked that place out?

I took a look at their menu on their website- it looks good. Looks like straight unadulterated "roadfood" to me I'm somewhat (ok, actually very) perplexed as to why you think it isn't?
    sailawayklm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/30 15:10:12 (permalink)
    You're right!  It's roadfood and I'll stick to that.  If you saw that episode, you'll see that the owner does everything by hand.  Lot's and lot's of love goes into that food.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/30 15:16:09 (permalink)
    sailawayklm

Lot's and lot's of love goes into that food.

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/30 18:47:08 (permalink)
    I tried to get into Rino's on Monday.  They open at 4PM.  I called just before four looking for a table for one.  No can do, booked for the evening.  They gave me the option of coming in and going on a wait list, but my hotel was 20 miles away and I didn't want to take the chance of coming up empty.

I saw the Triple D show.  This is a one of a kind, true Roadfood place.
    mollydingle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/30 20:41:40 (permalink)
    You're right next door to Chinatown- there's good eating there. There are several good Viet places- Montien ( a bit pricy) and Pho Pasteur are standouts. King Fung Garden, however, is not as good as it used to be.
    Jacob Wirth is literally  down the street for a German experience. If you can go Friday night, the sing-a-long is classic.

mollydingle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/11/30 20:44:33 (permalink)
    PS  We usually try to avoid the North End, but have always had good meals at Antico Forno and Giorgio's across the street.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/12/01 11:47:48 (permalink)
    I really have no idea where the heck in Boston it is - friends were driving - but we went to Friendly Toast last year and had a blast.  Good food in a very eclectic and wonderfully-designed setting.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/12/01 13:13:38 (permalink)
    Been to Union Oyster House. Live in another major city - we have oysters here too. Lived in NC, had fresh oysters there. Been to many Chesapeake dives and touristy places. I'm not sure what food is just "ok" at Union Oyster House, but I had fantastic fresh oysters, and a killer chowder.

I think because it's so touristy people want to poo-poo it. It's worth more than just the tale of being there. There's some great menu options. Probably some not so great options as well to cater to the masses (as it has to at that location). I mean, they have a buffalo chicken sandwich - I wouldn't expect that to bee so good - it obviously falls outside of their strengths, but the oysters and steamers don't, by any stretch, fail the palate.

There are A LOT of touristy places that measure up - Faidley's at Lexington Market (Baltimore), Market Lunch at Eastern Market (Washington), Pat's (Philadelphia), etc. etc.  

IMO, there was nothing I could complain about when we had dinner at Union Oyster House in Boston. Heck, I even liked my ceasar salad. We stuck to the strengths, and avoided the obvious menu fillers.

Conlon
    Junior Burger
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/12/06 08:31:33 (permalink)
    Just back from an amazing weekend in Boston - it's definately on the return list.
    Had an amazing burger at Flat Patties in Harvard Square

since we were in Chinatown we had Malaysian at Penang on Washington Street excellent
    and we had drinks and dessert at Jacob Wirth great atmosphere
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions - very much appreciated.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2010/12/15 18:45:37 (permalink)
    Hands down, bar none.....The Best Restaurant in Massachusetts!!!

Rino's Place

A small restaurant nestled in an old neighborhood with only about twelve tables.  The atmosphere is pure Roadfood(Italian Style).  Good luck finding a parking spot, but this place is well worth the walk.

I started with lobster fritters, $7/half order.  I couldn't believe the size of this order.  It was huge!  Tender chunks of lobster in a zeppole type batter with a balsamic glaze.  Delicous!  The batter reminded me of the bacala zeppoles my Mother would make for Christmas Eve.

House salad was mostly head lettuce with an oil and red wine vinegar house dressing.  Just like I make at home, which is just how my Mother taught me.

For my entree I went with the homemade cheese ravioli($11).  Three huge, and I mean huge homemade rav's.  Dare I say, except for the size, just like my Mothers.

My seat also offered a view of the kitchen.  Everything is fresh(especially the seafood)and made to order.  I was like a kid in a candy store watching the huge plates of food coming out.

Also, as you can see, this place is downright cheap.  Add a glass of vino and I was out of there for just under 26 bucks without tip.

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2011/03/12 21:43:26 (permalink)
    Another Italian restaurant that made me say WOW!

Euno(A-Ooh-No)Restaurant in the North End of Boston is a true Italian Style Restaurant.  Simple fresh ingredients, simply prepared(grilled)

For an appetizer I went with the, Carciofo EunoGrilled artichoke stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped with prosciutto.  Words just can't describe how good this was.  Best artichoke I ever had outside of Roma.

Entrees(specials of the day), I had a double cut veal chop.  Grilled and served with rabe and grilled fingerling potatoes.  My Daughter had grilled swordfish.  Both entrees were lightly seasoned and grilled to perfection.  Simple and deliziosa!

Nice wine list and reasonably priced.  Extremely clean restrooms.

Roadfood?  Che Diavolo!  I'll have to eat at two hot dog carts tomorrow  But, if you are looking for a great meal in Boston, give this one a try.
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2011/03/13 08:44:12 (permalink)
    I agree on Rino's Place but it is some what difficult to get there.
    Walt
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2011/03/13 17:49:40 (permalink)
    waltpiii
    I agree on Rino's Place but it is some what difficult to get there.
    Walt

Walt, We tried three weeks in advance, and could not get a reservation.  They only take reservations for parties of six or more.  On Friday, some people from our group went at 2 PM and got right in, same method I used for my visit.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2011/03/13 18:12:51 (permalink)
    I had my first real Dim Sum today at Hei La Moon in the Chinatown section of Boston.  I have ordered Dim Sum from a menu before, but this was my first time with carts.  What great food and a great experience.  Best description is, organized chaos.  There had to be over one thousand people on the two floors of the restaurant, with Dim sum carts all over the place.  Fantastic food and a fun atmosphere.

If you are wondering if this place is authentic, take a look at the Specials from the website.  English is not spoken here, but that's cool, with Dim Sum, you only have to point. Thank God we got right in, if you take a number, they call it out over a loud speaker, but in Chinese

I could eat here everyday.....maybe then I would learn how to use chopsticks.  Yeah, out of a thousand people, I was the only person looking for a fork

waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2011/03/14 07:07:17 (permalink)
    I know !  We have put our names and cell phone number in amd waited over cocktails a Kelly Square Pub.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:First Trip to Boston 2011/05/07 17:51:20 (permalink)
    Rino's lobster ravioli........INCREDIBLE!

Even the sauce is loaded with lobster meat.

Here is the Pointy Haired Guys take on the place..

post edited by joerogo - 2011/05/07 17:54:09
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1