The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

First Try At Making Meat Pasties

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
First Try At Making Meat Pasties Sun, 02/13/11 8:27 AM (permalink)
Hi all. I roasted a leg of lamb a few days ago and had leftovers. I am planning on making Sctch Broth with the bone but still had quite a bit of meat. The thread on Mutton pies inspired me.
I sauted some chopped onion in a pot and added diced carrot, potatoes and parsnip. I added a splash of chicken broth and cooked the veggies until just done. I then added the cut up lamb and leftover gravy(made with a little red wine).

I made a pie crust with 1 1/8 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, one stick butter cut up and some ice water. It was enough to make six pasties.
I brushed them with a little milk before baking.

I started them at 400 degrees for tem minutes and then reduced the temp to 350 for the remaining 15 or 20 minutes.

They came out great! I will be using this idea for leftovers in the future. I really want to do a chicken one and a pot roast one too!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Sun, 02/13/11 9:04 AM (permalink)
    Wow-I would savor one of those. Great job!

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
      Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Sun, 02/13/11 9:44 AM (permalink)
      Good job on your pasties! The recipes I use are for beef pasties and the meat is not pre-cooked. I simply cut the beef, potatoes, onions, and sometimes carrots into small cubes  - about 1/2-inch square. This mixture is stirred together and seasoned with s&p and whatever dried herbs I feel like adding. Then the pastry is rolled and filled prior to baking. A little ketchup is a nice condiment to have with the pies.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6094
        Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Sun, 02/13/11 12:08 PM (permalink)
        Looks fantastic, great job!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
          Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Sun, 02/13/11 12:20 PM (permalink)
          I love your inventiveness and the willing to be so.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
            Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Mon, 02/14/11 1:13 AM (permalink)
            We have a Pasty Restaurant here in the Valley (2 locations).
            Here's their menu to give you an idea of other creations you can make. their pasties are good!
            http://www.cornishpastyco.com/togo.pdf
            <message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 02/14/11 1:18 AM>

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
              Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Wed, 02/16/11 3:05 AM (permalink)
              tcrouzer

Good job on your pasties! The recipes I use are for beef pasties and the meat is not pre-cooked. I simply cut the beef, potatoes, onions, and sometimes carrots into small cubes  - about 1/2-inch square. This mixture is stirred together and seasoned with s&p and whatever dried herbs I feel like adding. Then the pastry is rolled and filled prior to baking. A little ketchup is a nice condiment to have with the pies.
              Mom???   Seriously, this is how my Nana, Grammy & now Mom make them. Piecrust, cheapest ground beef you can find, diced onion, carrot, potato, rutabaga (sometimes, not always) and served with ketchup. Now, I hate ketchup. Hate. But I won't eat a pastie without it.

Good job Agnes!!!

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
                Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Wed, 02/16/11 6:44 AM (permalink)
                LOL, detective! Not your mom, but thanks for the compliment. Some years ago when I researched recipes for pasties on the web, it was implied that the method I described was the authentic way to make pasties. I never saw any for ground beef....strange.... Some included turnip or rutabaga, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a rutabaga. ;o)

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                  Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Wed, 02/16/11 7:24 AM (permalink)
                  Hey,great fun idea,,,Practical,fun, and tastey!!!!

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                    Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Thu, 02/17/11 12:49 AM (permalink)
                    tcrouzer

LOL, detective! Not your mom, but thanks for the compliment. Some years ago when I researched recipes for pasties on the web, it was implied that the method I described was the authentic way to make pasties. I never saw any for ground beef....strange.... Some included turnip or rutabaga, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a rutabaga. ;o)
                    I think Nana wasn't willing to cut up roast beef. She used that for sandwiches for her kids lunches. Nana's mother must have made them with ground beef, too, because Nana's sister is still alive & that is how she makes them as well. 

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                      Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Thu, 02/17/11 8:36 AM (permalink)
                      Foodbme

We have a Pasty Restaurant here in the Valley (2 locations).
                      Here's their menu to give you an idea of other creations you can make. their pasties are good!
                      http://www.cornishpastyco.com/togo.pdf

Wow,  what a great restaurant and loved reading the selections as well as pasty history.  You're lucky to have this place close by.  Inspired me to want to make my own someday soon.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                        Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Tue, 02/22/11 1:06 PM (permalink)
                        OK, well I've been watching this thread and I guess someone has to ask...so..how do you stick them to your nipples? Egg wash??

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                          Re:First Try At Making Meat Pasties Tue, 02/22/11 1:28 PM (permalink)
                          Cosmos

OK, well I've been watching this thread and I guess someone has to ask...so..how do you stick them to your nipples? Egg wash??

Oh. OK. I get it!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com