Fish Boil - New Years Day. Need ideas!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7296
RE: Fish Boil - New Years Day. Need ideas! 2003/12/31 13:47:13 (permalink)
Add the Zatarains to the water, bring to a boil. Add potatoes, onions. I don't know how big your potatoes are, but about 5 mins. before they're done, add the corn and sausage. Again, I don't know what kind of fish you're using, but presuming it's chunks of fillet, add these at the end, give it another 2 mins. and turn off and leave for 10 mins. Ladle out in bowls, leaving a little broth in each and serve melted butter on the side for dipping.
Personal preference: I like Old Bay cooked INTO things like crab cakes, fish cakes, crab soup, but not sprinkled on top. The Maryland delegation will surely disagree with me, but again, it's just personal preference. I'd sprinkle some Old Bay into the broth with the Zatarains.
Enjoy! and Happy New Year!
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Fish Boil - New Years Day. Need ideas! 2003/12/31 14:22:08 (permalink)
Thanks lleechef. Good idea. I am using small red potatoes as they don not fall apart after cooked and love em with butter. As for the fish part, shrimp and crab legs.

I hear yah about the Old Bay bias. I lived in Annapolis for years and the only way was to steam blue crabs smothered in Old Bay in the pot.

I think I am getting pretty close here with the boil, thanks to a lot of great input from everyone. Still have time to run out for anything else that may surface on this post up until "Stalini" time tomorrow afternoon!

Happy New Year to all!

Don
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Fish Boil - New Years Day. Need ideas! 2003/12/31 14:31:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oldfrt

Thanks lleechef. Good idea. I am using small red potatoes as they don not fall apart after cooked and love em with butter. As for the fish part, shrimp and crab legs.

I hear yah about the Old Bay bias. I lived in Annapolis for years and the only way was to steam blue crabs smothered in Old Bay in the pot.

I think I am getting pretty close here with the boil, thanks to a lot of great input from everyone. Still have time to run out for anything else that may surface on this post up until "Stalini" time tomorrow afternoon!

Happy New Year to all!

Don

Shrimp and crabs are not fish.
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
RE: Fish Boil - New Years Day. Need ideas! 2003/12/31 14:40:34 (permalink)
"Shellfish". Used the term "Fish" in a generic sense.

Don
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Fish Boil - New Years Day. Need ideas! 2003/12/31 18:45:19 (permalink)
There's something I dont understand about the "fish boil". It seems to me there's probably a whole lot of flavor locked up in the water you have just boiled your fish in . While it never has occured to me to save the water we boil or steam our lobsters, crabs, and shrimp in - I always save the water I've poached a fish in (unless it has been highly salted)
and save it for a chowder, stew, or bisque, or even use it as a flavoring agent in a seafood sauce.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7296
RE: Fish Boil - New Years Day. Need ideas! 2003/12/31 23:23:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

There's something I dont understand about the "fish boil". It seems to me there's probably a whole lot of flavor locked up in the water you have just boiled your fish in . While it never has occured to me to save the water we boil or steam our lobsters, crabs, and shrimp in - I always save the water I've poached a fish in (unless it has been highly salted)
and save it for a chowder, stew, or bisque, or even use it as a flavoring agent in a seafood sauce.

Now we're getting into a whole nuther realm of cooking......the stock thing. If I need to make lobster bisque or crab bisque I wack up the buggers alive and throw them into a red-hot rondeau with some oil and start the process. (One of my pimply faced prep cooks ran out the kitchen, wretching as I was wacking live crabs apart. Oh well.) If I'm cooking crabs and lobsters to eat whole I want the cooking liquid to be highly seasoned (Zatarains, Old Bay,lots of salt, etc.), thus rendering it nearly useless for stock, soup or otherwise. It just goes down the drain. All shrimp shells get saved for stock. All fish bones get saved for stock, and if I would ever poach fish (rarely) the liquid would get saved. But the highly seasoned liquids used for cooking lobsters and crabs and shrimp and crawfish are pretty much useless.
oldfrt
Cheeseburger
RE: Fish Boil - New Years Day. Need ideas! 2004/01/02 15:53:26 (permalink)
Results delayed due to becoming a happy grandpa yesterday! Beautifull grand daughter born at 6AM. As it is with priorities, the Fish Boil has been rescheduled for over the weekend!

Hope you all had a great New Years. I know we did!

Don
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Fish Boil - New Years Day. Need ideas! 2004/01/05 09:30:30 (permalink)
Congratulations on your new granddaughter, oldfrt!! That's cool.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1