Fish Reuben

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
2007/10/03 11:59:17 (permalink)

Fish Reuben

Has anyone had or heard of this sandwich before?

It was on the menu at Shrimpers in Stuart FL and my Wife and Nephew each ordered it. A crispy fried filet with slaw, cheese and russian dressing, grilled on rye bread. At first we thought it sounded wierd, then I said it's not too far from a fish taco. It turned out to be really, really good.

I wonder if it's turning up on other menus.

33 Replies Related Threads

divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Fish Reuben 2007/10/03 12:18:53 (permalink)
    Slaw not saur kraut? That's cheating but it doesn't sound that far fetched. Sounds like a good sammich.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10419
    RE: Fish Reuben 2007/10/03 14:08:10 (permalink)
    I have never seen that on a menu before, but it sure does sound interesting. If I see it, I will definitely order it.
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Fish Reuben 2007/10/03 21:05:27 (permalink)
    You figure it is pretty common for fish and chips to come with cole slaw, so I can this working. Now, if it had been served with kraut....I can't imagine too many people ordering that, and I like kraut.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    RE: Fish Reuben 2007/10/03 21:38:39 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, but the very thought of something called a fish Reuben causes me to feel a bit ill.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: Fish Reuben 2007/10/03 21:42:07 (permalink)
    Try one..................you will love it....but skip the cheese.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    RE: Fish Reuben 2007/10/03 21:44:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

No thanks. If I have to eat a Reuben I'll stick to a Reuben, not some Filet-O-Fish clone.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 11:03:31 (permalink)
    The islamorada fish company , part of Bass Pro in FTL also has an excellent grouper rueben. I've had it twice and look forward to the next one. Truly broke da mouth!
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 11:15:24 (permalink)
    Personally I dont think cheese and fish go together. Slaw and fish...sure. I think without the cheese it would be excellent...Russ
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 11:22:18 (permalink)
    I'd eat it, but why call it a Reuben? It's not a Reuben. Kinda like Cincinnati chili......except I wouldn't eat that. pb
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 11:23:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I'm sorry, but the very thought of something called a fish Reuben causes me to feel a bit ill.

GROUPER REUBEN

Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 11:34:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

I'd eat it, but why call it a Reuben? It's not a Reuben. Kinda like Cincinnati chili......except I wouldn't eat that. pb

Have you ever tried Cincy Chili pb?....Russ
    mikez629
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 11:36:17 (permalink)
    Grouper ruben/buffalo grouper sandwich-they put grouper on anything in Florida
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 11:37:52 (permalink)
    quote:

Because most people know what Reuben is. Therefore, a person should know what to expect when someone has a Fish Reuben on the menu.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 11:39:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

No thanks. If I have to eat a Reuben I'll stick to a Reuben, not some Filet-O-Fish clone.

you don't "have" to eat a Reuben either, if you don't want to.
    porkbeaks
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 12:27:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

Have you ever tried Cincy Chili pb?....Russ

Yeah, I've tried it and I just can't get past the spices used. Not sure if it's the cinnamon, allspice, cloves, the combination, or whatever. Maybe it's the chocolate. The idea of the 5-way, if it was made with "normal" chili, is actually quite appealing. Another example is when folks make Swedish meatballs and use cardamom. I like cardamom, but it just seems out of place in the meatballs. pb
    Robearjr
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 20:17:44 (permalink)
    I think alot of people think a Reuben can be with kraut or slaw. You see more and more menus that either off a choice of slaw or kraut on their Rueben...or they don't even offer kraut.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 21:03:35 (permalink)
    Speaking of Reuben sandwiches, I've noticed that a lot of places are serving these as an open-faced affair, i.e., with one slice of grilled rye topped with a pile of meat, kraut and the whole thing covered in melted swiss. I much prefer a "traditional" Reuben, that is, served as a grilled sandwich rather than an open-faced one that must be eaten with knife and fork. What do you like?
    porkbeaks
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/30 22:16:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ciaoman

Speaking of Reuben sandwiches, I've noticed that a lot of places are serving these as an open-faced affair, i.e., with one slice of grilled rye topped with a pile of meat, kraut and the whole thing covered in melted swiss. I much prefer a "traditional" Reuben, that is, served as a grilled sandwich rather than an open-faced one that must be eaten with knife and fork. What do you like?

I agree 100%. Here is the recipe and guidelines that I use to make mine. I've never had any complaints.

REUBEN SANDWICH
    Modern-day Reuben sandwiches are often open-faced and broiled, which dries out the corned beef and makes the cheese rubbery. Or, under the misguided belief that more is better, they are overstuffed. The main things to remember for a great Reuben are to keep the filling under control and in balance, so when you bite into it you get a harmonious and succulent mouthful; and to grill the sandwich slowly and under some pressure, so the bread gets toasty brown and buttery crisp, the meat gets warmed through, and the cheese is just melted enough to be oozy.
    2 slices rye bread or pumpernickel
    2 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
    2 tablespoons Reuben's Russian Dressing (recipe below)
    1/4 cup well-drained, fresh-style sauerkraut
    2 ounces thinly sliced Gruyère or Switzerland Swiss cheese
    1/4 pound thinly sliced corned beef

Butter each slice of bread evenly to the edges on one side.
    Place one slice, buttered side down, in a small cold skillet: Build the sandwich in the skillet you'll grill it in.

Spread 1 tablespoon of the Russian dressing on the face-up, dry side of the bread. Then put on the sauerkraut, spreading it evenly.

Arrange the cheese in an even layer over the sauerkraut, then do the same with the corned beef.

Spread another 1 tablespoon Russian dressing on the dry side of the second slice of bread and place it, dressing side down, buttered side up, over the corned beef.

Place the skillet over medium-low heat and grill the sandwich slowly, pressing down on it a few times with a wide metal spatula. Grill until the bread is browned and crisped, then turn the sandwich over with the help of the spatula.

Now weight the sandwich down by placing a plate (or another small skillet) over the sandwich, then adding on a weight, such as a 28-ounce can of tomatoes. Grill until the second side has browned and crisped, then flip the sandwich over one more time to briefly reheat the other side.

Serve immediately.

Makes 1.
    Arthur Schwartz's New York City Food
    By Arthur Schwartz

Overall: Pretty detailed, right? It took me longer to type those instructions than it did to make the sandwich. But that's typical of Schwartz's hand-holding in the book.

Rye or pumpernickel? Pumpernickel? Whoever heard of such a thing? Might as well use white bread.

Russian dressing: He uses Reuben's recipe, which combines 1/2 cup of mayo with a tablespoon of ketchup, a teaspoon of grated onion, 1/2 teaspoon of horseradish, 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon of parsley. Red caviar is optional but unnecessary.

Why Russian? According to Schwartz, Reuben's was the first Jewish deli to make a corned beef sandwich with Russian dressing and, even better and more New York, with deli coleslaw.

Sauerkraut: Try to get it from the deli counter. They should have it in midwinter, but if not, well-drained canned sauerkraut will do.

Procedure: Since I don't have a sandwich press, I make grilled cheese sandwiches in a skillet in just this way. But now that panini are so stylish, I bet more people have sandwich presses.

For one? Obviously, it's a cinch to double the recipe.

What to do with the leftover Russian dressing? Use it on an iceberg-lettuce wedge, as a sauce with fried fish, or to cover halved hard-cooked eggs, making Eggs à la Russe.
    CamSkaterUNC
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/31 11:45:11 (permalink)
    I've never seen this on a menu at any restaurant in Colorado, but that doesn't mean it's not here. Sounds very interesting. I know I'd be inclined to order it if it ever did pop up. Unless it already has. Anyone know? :-)
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/31 12:23:43 (permalink)

It all sounds good to me. I'ld eat one, especially if it is deep fried. MiamiDon's photo seemes to be broiled or sauteed. They laughed when fish tacos and burritos first came out, but I love them.
    If they use 1000 island dressing on the sandwich, it is close enough to tartar sauce to work just fine.

I also like the idea of an open faced reuben as long as it is piled high and there is a slight browning of the Swiss cheese.

mark
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/31 12:41:40 (permalink)
    quote:

Personally I dont think cheese and fish go together. Slaw and fish...sure. I think without the cheese it would be excellent...Russ

I completely agree. I can't think of a single instance where I would put cheese on fish.
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/31 12:56:49 (permalink)
    Hi I believe this version of a reuben started in key west. Possibly Louie's Backyard.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/31 14:16:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:

I completely agree. I can't think of a single instance where I would put cheese on fish.

you've never sprinkle parmesan on fish?

When I was on Atkins, I used to make a coating for tilapia using mostly parmesan cheese. It was excellent.

RookieCAF
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/31 14:39:39 (permalink)
    I just had a Turkey Reuben. It was good.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/31 17:42:12 (permalink)
    I have had the perfect rueben twice at a small deli in West Palm Beach. Ther bread was fresh and did not crumble after being nicely grilled. It had the right amount of 1000 island, was still juicy from the butter, not piled a mile high but definitely more than an adequate protion and great squish and ooze factor...
    Robearjr
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/31 19:32:35 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

What about a tuna melt?
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/01/31 22:13:11 (permalink)
    quote:

I think fish is generally too delicate to stand up to the taste of cheese. That being said, I suppose I've mixed some Parmaggiano Reggiano in with a bread crumb mixture in my stuffed calamari, so I guess there is an instance where I've used cheese with fish.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/02/01 10:25:11 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I think fish is generally too delicate to stand up to the taste of cheese. That being said, I suppose I've mixed some Parmaggiano Reggiano in with a bread crumb mixture in my stuffed calamari, so I guess there is an instance where I've used cheese with fish.

I agree if you're talking about lake fish, like trout, perch, etc. But, I don't know if I'd consider Salmon, Swordfish etc as so "delicate" that it can't stand up to a nice biting cheese (like parm). I've made an appetiser whose main ingredients were smoked salmon, brie and roe, which was a big big hit.

I see the principle of it, that cheese doesn't seem to go with fish, but I think there's room for experimentation.

If wine can be paired with cheese, and wine can be paired with fish, then one would thing there must be a cheese out there that can work with a fish.

Clearly, though, slapping a slice of American cheese on a trout is not very appealing.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Fish Reuben 2008/02/01 13:01:53 (permalink)
    Doesn't a Filet-o'-Fish have a slice of cheese in it?

And isn't it a Southern tradition?

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Southern-Cooking/BakedCheese-Fish.htm

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1