Fish on the Grill

Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2004/12/03 14:38:56 (permalink)

Fish on the Grill

What fish do you like best on the grill, and do you have a special way of fixing it?

6 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Fish on the Grill 2004/12/03 14:42:33 (permalink)

Swordfish is Number One in my book. Marinate in a little lemon/pepper seasoning and grill in a fish-basket holder so that turning won't leave fish on the grill.
    I get the steaks about 1.25 inch thick. Jungle Jim's has great swordfish at $5 to $6 a pound most of the time.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Fish on the Grill 2004/12/03 15:06:36 (permalink)
    I like swordfish or salmon best on a grill. I put my fish on a piece of aluminum foil with cut up pieces of onion, seasonings, sometimes I use a horseradish sauce as well, etc, and wrap it up completely and poke holes in the bottom of it. Then I make a bed of wood chips, like the ones you can put on a grill, mesquite, etc. I make a bag of them in foil, and I fix the chips underneath the fish, and foil them up together. The chips will help to flavor the fish.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Fish on the Grill 2004/12/04 12:34:45 (permalink)
    Take just about any small whole fish ( black sea bass, red snapper, trout, bass, etc), sprinkle it with salt pepper, chervil and tarragon, lay on a few lemon slices, wrap in sorrel leaves, put it all in a grilling basket - the kind that expands and contracts according to the thickness of the item, and grill. It's usually done if you use the Canadian method: ten minutes per inch of thickness. If you do not have access to sorrel, leaf lettuce will work almost as well.

I gave up eating swordfish and tuna a long time ago - they are being overfished to the point of extinction. Well, I must admit to still eating the occasional can of tuna - love a tuna salad sandwich.

Cheers, John
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Fish on the Grill 2004/12/04 12:46:15 (permalink)
    I forgot: put a generous pat of butter or some olive oil in there with the fish.

Cheers, John
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Fish on the Grill 2004/12/12 22:36:32 (permalink)
    I love fresh tuna steak on the grill- I marinate it in soy, mirin, grated ginger, sesame oil and chopped scallions and then grill it just till its seared nicely on each side. Then i slice it across teh grain and serve it with soba noodles and steamed broccoli. Very yummy.
    (unfortuantely I just eat it once in awhile- don't want to get Mercury poisoning- it's fatal and it don't get better!)
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Fish on the Grill 2004/12/12 23:04:25 (permalink)
    I normally do the "put it in a heavy duty aluminium foil boat and dump in sliced onion, peppers and russian dressing" bit. But last night I had some fresh Dorado to get rid of, so I applied a liberal slathering of olive oil to both sides, lemon peppered them and put them directly on the grill over a medium hot smoky oak bark fire, no flame ups. Just when the strata were starting to flake off, I removed them and fisished them off in the microwave. The taste was redolent of the tangy oak smoke, there was the right amount of char, yet removing them at the flake point allowed no meat to be wasted.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1