Five Guys Burgers Joint

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18625
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 14:03:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

I like my burger rare with a cool pink inside, never any lettuce, tomato or onion but sometimes blue cheese. There are several independent restaurants around here that will cook my burger to order, I will stick to them over a chain any day.

I don't know where you are, but if you have any Waffle House places around you might want to check them out. It is, of course, a chain, but I can get burgers cooked as I like them at my nearby Waffle House.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 16:04:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

...every bit the equal of the West Coast legend "In-N-Out"

Five Guys fries are better than what I had at In-N-Out the other month, although the ones that I had were second-rate.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 16:11:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I don't know where you are, but if you have any Waffle House places around you might want to check them out. It is, of course, a chain, but I can get burgers cooked as I like them at my nearby Waffle House.

Wow. That's all I have to say. Wow.
if you "like them" at Waffle House...nevermind.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 16:23:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Shalondara

I had not realized this would start such a ruckus...

Shondalara, this is not a ruckus. In the ruckus threads, posts get deleted by mgmt., threads get locked, and nasty posters get suspended.

As I indicated by posting the link to the whole bunch of existing threads on Five Guys Burgers and Fries, the chain had been yacked about for years on Roadfood.com. You just created a resumption of the ongoing discussion.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 17:32:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

Look, you don't like Waffle House. Fine! What's your bitch about the fact that they fix a hamburger the way I order one?
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 17:53:53 (permalink)
quote:

I've never been to a Five Guys, and from what I've read and heard I wouldnlt want to go to one. It's my understandnig that they cook all their burgers to well-done, and will not deviate from that. And now I learn that they "squish only once." Squishing even once results in a dry, tasteless burger.

Michael,

I have been to a Five Guys, once in Fairfax, VA. No matter what you think you ought to try them first. I'll put it this way. It is fast food, but I would pick them 10 times out of 10 if my choices were Five Guys, McDonalds, Burger King or Wendys. Their burgers were juicy and had some taste. For a fast food burger they are pretty good.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 18:06:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

quote:

I've never been to a Five Guys, and from what I've read and heard I wouldnlt want to go to one. It's my understandnig that they cook all their burgers to well-done, and will not deviate from that. And now I learn that they "squish only once." Squishing even once results in a dry, tasteless burger.

Michael,

I have been to a Five Guys, once in Fairfax, VA. No matter what you think you ought to try them first. I'll put it this way. It is fast food, but I would pick them 10 times out of 10 if my choices were Five Guys, McDonalds, Burger King or Wendys. Their burgers were juicy and had some taste. For a fast food burger they are pretty good.

While I have had a couple of double cheeseburgers from McDonald's in the past few years, I had my one and only Wendy's hamburger in 1972 and my last Burger King one was at least 15 years ago.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4190
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 18:56:04 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

quote:

Well done is none.

I'm curious: I assume you like it cooked, so how do you like your burger? Warm pink middle? Cool pink middle? Oozing warm red juices? Oozing cool red juices?

I prefer mine raw, but when cooked I like them warm in the middle and a bit more red than pink.

O.K., then. Five Guys is not for you. I like my burgers to be fresh, moist, with clear juices - just like Five Guys serves 'em. As the French say: "Chacun a son gout!"

Peace.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15302
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 19:03:42 (permalink)
Tanks, Youse guys for calmin' down before I hadda sit on ya!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 09:49:33 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Look, you don't like Waffle House. Fine! What's your bitch about the fact that they fix a hamburger the way I order one?

First, you're comparing Waffle House burgers to a place that specializes in burgers. Waffle House. It's not burger house. You like them, that's fine, but you certainly don't know they're any better than Five Guys. So, how 'bout the fact that you consistently write negative things about a place you've never been about a burger you've never tried. Not just in this Five Guys threads, but others as well. The difference between my opinions on Waffle House and your opinion on Five Guys is that I've actually been to several different Waffle Houses on a dozen occassions. So, I speak from experience, and can draw on that experience when making a comparison. But, you seem comfortable to write negatively about a place you not only haven't been, but won't go to. That's my "bitch." At least go, and try them, then say they suck.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 11:22:19 (permalink)
In fact, Waffle House specializes in a number of things, and bugers happen to be among those things. Now the fact is, most folks who don't know never think of Waffle House for some of the things in which it specializes, and that's fine. As to my willingness to say negative things about a hamburger place that refuses to cook a hamburger the only way I'll eat it, you bet I'll be negative.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 12:09:42 (permalink)
quote:

. As to my willingness to say negative things about a hamburger place that refuses to cook a hamburger the only way I'll eat it, you bet I'll be negative.

sure, but since you've never been, it's all a bunch of hot air.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 12:30:28 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

. As to my willingness to say negative things about a hamburger place that refuses to cook a hamburger the only way I'll eat it, you bet I'll be negative.

It's hot air to be critical of a place that refuses to serve me what I'll eat? Odd.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 12:35:48 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's hot air to be critical of a place that refuses to serve me what I'll eat? Odd.

hot air to continually slam a place that you've never been to. Yup.
Please go, try it, then slam it. Otherwise, you're only making assumptions about their food. You don't really know. Try it, then say it sucks, at least then, you'll have some sort of credibility.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 12:57:51 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

hot air to continually slam a place that you've never been to. Yup.
Please go, try it, then slam it. Otherwise, you're only making assumptions about their food. You don't really know. Try it, then say it sucks, at least then, you'll have some sort of credibility.

But you see Five Guys says it will not cook burgers any way other than well dode. I won't eat a well done burger. Why, then, should I bother trying one?

But, here's the deal: I'll stay away from Five Guys and you can stay away from Waffle House. OK?
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 13:14:24 (permalink)
quote:

But, here's the deal: I'll stay away from Five Guys and you can stay away from Waffle House. OK?

Well, you got no arguements on me and Waffle House. A dozen or so in NC along NASCAR alley (I-85) and Southern VA turned me off. I wouldn't have gone so much, but my friends were big fans. I'm not one to say no, when they all want to go. I won't wreck a friendship over food. In fact, if I was in columbus, I'd gladly meet you at a Waffle House.

And, before I say so much as to give ringing endorsement to Five Guys, for the record, I dont LOVE Five Guys. I've only been to the original two locations, which are still company owned. I didn't think I'd care for them because I like my burgers medium-rare. A red line in the middle, pink all around it. Five Guys, did not get high marks on the aspect of doneness from me. However, the burger was juicy and very tasty, despite that and I enjoyed the enviromnet and the experience. However, while I enjoyed their burgers, there are better hamburgers in DC. Clyde's, for one, blows them out of the water. So, I never understood why Five Guys got #1 hamburger in this area for so many years. I guess in those newpaper popularity contests, quantity won out over quality. So, I'm not going to offer up Five Guys as the top burger in the land or anything. But, it's better than Sonic, Checkers, In-N-Out, Johnny Rockets and the like. It's also more expensive. I also may be swayed a little because I tend tolike any place that has barrels of in the shell roasted peanuts.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 13:24:46 (permalink)
I've had just one burger at Sonic, a jalapeno burger -- and it was OK. At least they cooked it so that it was pink inside. I did have something called a Big Buford once at Rally's (which is Checkers in Ohio) and I thought it was just plain awful -- dry as a bone. Then again, I can't stand Steak & Shake burgers, either. They cook those things so dry it's like biting into a flat briquette. I've never been to In-N-Out. The closest I've ever come to eating at Johnny Rockets was opening the door. It was so loud I just turned around and left.

I just learned that there are several Five Guys places in Ohio, but they're at least 150 miles from me.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 13:41:11 (permalink)
quote:

I did have something called a Big Buford once at Rally's (which is Checkers in Ohio) and I thought it was just plain awful -- dry as a bone.

checkers IS bad. I won't even give it another try it's so bad. Double Cheeseburger, I think. How does one make a dry burger and still have grease all over the place? wow. And their chili dogs! good god, bad bad chili. It ruined a perfectly ordinary hot dog. (this was Checkers, 1401 Maryland Avenue NE, Washington DC 20002)

oh, and IMO, no franchise is worth 150 miles, Five Guys included. So, you're off the hook with FG's. If you're ever in DC, though...no skip Five Guys, and go to Clyde's.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 14:55:21 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I did have something called a Big Buford once at Rally's (which is Checkers in Ohio) and I thought it was just plain awful -- dry as a bone.

checkers IS bad. I won't even give it another try it's so bad. Double Cheeseburger, I think. How does one make a dry burger and still have grease all over the place? wow. And their chili dogs! good god, bad bad chili. It ruined a perfectly ordinary hot dog. (this was Checkers, 1401 Maryland Avenue NE, Washington DC 20002)

oh, and IMO, no franchise is worth 150 miles, Five Guys included. So, you're off the hook with FG's. If you're ever in DC, though...no skip Five Guys, and go to Clyde's.

I forgot that I once had a chili dog at Rally's (Checker's). I think, perhaps, my mind has just been trying to block out the memory of it.

I'm not a fan of French fries, but I did think Rally's fries were pretty good.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6311
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 16:47:45 (permalink)
Let me interject on the Scorereader-Michael Hoffman posts...Coincidentaly, I ate at 5 Guys today...juicy tasty very large double patty fresh made burgers...no frozen pattys...fries were also fresh and a regular order is too much for one person..our place had a barrel of peanuts to pick from while you wait! I also love Waffle House,although I've only ordered breakfasts there....I would guess 5 Guys make better burgers..!!!!
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 19:02:49 (permalink)
Shayna and I ate there last night, at the most local one to us. I like their hamburgers, but I don't swoon over them. Also, the fries in this particular location are always too well done! The fries at the one in Moorestown, NJ are just right. But you know that everything is fresh there, so that's good.

I actually took pictures the first time I went to one, and was so proud of my cellphone hamburger closeups.
bonitamandita
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/17 22:03:09 (permalink)

Here's my vote:
I love love Five Guys! Although I have noticed that some locations are more delicious than others. The one in Harrisonburg, VA near my alma mater James Madison University, is always delicious. The one in VA Beach was good but not as amazing as the Hburg location.

mncorn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 151
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/18 00:15:25 (permalink)
it your like it raw then....http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1926,159168-251196,00.html

I like it raw.

burgers can be "done" and still be juicy and tasty!!

i mix some chopped onions, egg, salt, peper, worcestershire in the ground beef and make burgers. Cook to med well. great.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/18 07:49:03 (permalink)
Again we loved OUR 5 Guys,but like some chain food...your impression may be only as good as your particular chain...5 guys isn't selling frozen or pre-packaged food...and how it is cooked may not be identical in every location....taste and quality of places like Olive Garden and Carrabbas varies too!!!!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3737
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/20 17:10:45 (permalink)
A few years ago, we tried to stop at a couple of Five Guys to eat. The places looked very nice but they were packed so did not bother waiting.

I have been reading about Five Guys here and decided that I had to go to eat at one so drove to nearest one which is about 10 miles from my son's home. I arrived about ! PM and there were plenty of seats available. I ordered my meal which was a small cheeseburger with grilled onions and Jalapeno peppers, an order of fries and a drink.

First for the positive:

The place was nice and clean and bright.
There were no peanut shells on the floor; the patrons kept their shells on their tables.
The staff was very nice and friendly and well groomed.
The French fries were good.

Now for the negative:

I sat at a high small table and stool where I had a good view of how they did the hamburgers.
The cooks would put the burger on the grill and then turn it. When they turned it over, they took a bacon press and squished down on it will all their might. (I thought "wow"..........this is going to be one dried out burger.)

When my number was called, I walked up and got my very greasy bag and decided that I needed a few more napkins. I took one bite of my hamburger and could not believe it. Some people have called them juicy and flavorful; I call it greasy and nasty. I bravely tried to eat it but after three bites, it was wrapped up and put back in the bag.

The French fries were enough for a family of three..............what a waste! I do not like French fries that much but these were really nice and hot and good. There were a lot of them that had burnt edges but that did not really matter as there were way too many for anyone to eat. I ate about one third of them.

For nearly $8.50, I learned a good lesson. Five Guys is the last place that I would ever go for a hamburger. If forced to go there, I would order a diet Coke and watch everyone else get indigestion.

We have a wonderful neighborhood restaurant and pub where I can get an 8 oz. hamburger with lettuce, tomato, and a choice of up to three additional toppings (such as bacon, grilled onions, blue cheese, ete) along with a heaping platter of fries (again............way too big a serving) for $7.59 and I can get it medium rare and it tastes of good meat and not grease!

I have tried it and can say that for me this place does not offer me what I look for in a good hamburger.
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/20 18:16:44 (permalink)
I have only once closely watched someone preparing my burger at a Five Guys franchise. I did not see the cook use a bacon press. The burger was only turned once, if I remember correctly. It would be interesting to know if anyone else saw what Greymo saw. The problem with a chain is that the franchisee may hire a cook with nails in his/her head who will cook the burger "their way."
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/20 19:51:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

I have only once closely watched someone preparing my burger at a Five Guys franchise. I did not see the cook use a bacon press. The burger was only turned once, if I remember correctly. It would be interesting to know if anyone else saw what Greymo saw. The problem with a chain is that the franchisee may hire a cook with nails in his/her head who will cook the burger "their way."

From a post by the original poster: "OH I forgot to add...at this one, they are never overcooked and the rule of thumb is to flip once and squish only once...."

If you squish them they will be dry, but greasy.
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/20 22:00:45 (permalink)
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/07/five-guys-park-slope-brooklyn-nyc-opens-bay-ridge-location-too.html

Look about halfway down, there is a description of the hamburger press.
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/20 22:02:45 (permalink)
In George Motz's book, Hamburger America, I think in about 80% of the places he visited he describes the burger as being pressed flat on the grill.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/21 02:39:34 (permalink)
Did not notice a press being used in our 5 Guys,but I will sacrifice,and in the interests of science go this week and force myself to order another one and watch!!!
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1