Five Guys Burgers Joint

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Shalondara
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2008/10/14 08:41:33 (permalink)

Five Guys Burgers Joint

If anyone has NOT eaten here, its a must! everything is cooked perfectly and all ingredients are fresh daily.....it was soooo good I had to get a part time job there. They just came to my area and are apparently from out East. I live in Pewaukee and one just opened bout 10 days ago, also theres one in Delefield. This is Wisconsin if anyone cares to know:)

146 Replies Related Threads

mmarkovitz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 08:52:44 (permalink)
    I feel in love with them about 2 years ago on a visit to Harrisburg, PA. They have moved into Charlotte right after. And they are great , BUT. They just raised their prices in this market and it now cost almost $12 for a Bacon cheese burger with fries and a drink. They are not that good. And now there are about 3 other places that do the same thing. Fresh meat and hand cut fries. Give us a break.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 08:58:36 (permalink)
    I've loved Five Guys since my first bite at their first store, a walk-up on the NE corner of Glebe Rd. & Columbia Pike in Arlington, VA.

They finally opened their first store in Dallas and nothing has changed but the rent they pay - they have a prime location beside the ice rink in the Galleria.

Search the Forums and you'll find plenty on them, including:
    http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7551&SearchTerms=five+guys
    Shalondara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 09:01:43 (permalink)
    Its pricey....but. Here its under 10 for a lg fry, burger and a drink. Also, if you think about it you get what you pay for. If you are looking for quality then ya pay it, if you want no quality soy frozen patties then go to mcds or BK...those places pretty much rely on microwaves now. Anytime you want to eat a fresh meal or one that is healthier it is costly.
    djmsalem
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 09:12:25 (permalink)
    I ate at one in D.C. and was disappointed. The beef might have been fresh but it was tasteless and overcooked, and it occurred to me that this is why they have all those toppings for free.

Believe me, I'm no fan of the other chain burger places, but for my money one could just as easily go to Wendy's for a burger cooked with fresh meat (is it still fresh?), and spend a lot less.

Or it could be that I'm just getting crotchety in my old age.
    Shalondara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 09:22:51 (permalink)
    Thats such a shame, such a poor dining experience. Its like perfect here. You can never get a parking spot. You do realize its a franchise....that owner should be made aware of his product not cutting the fat.

Old age has many plusses....we are wise, not crotchety lol! its a treat to be old I say!
    Shalondara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 09:27:49 (permalink)
    OH I forgot to add...at this one, they are never overcooked and the rule of thumb is to flip once and squish only once....you can eat it plain here and its buttery tasting and the meat is very tender. Some places will cook burgers ahead of time in a lunch rush...not at ours. Some places also once they start getting busy they lose focus and tend to rush things which is sad as well as they start to lose the quality that was the main focus in the beginning and thats the chance you take going to any restaurant that is not a sit down. Kind of like a hit or miss...sometimes you will miss and miss then you just dont go back. Maybe its since we are a small community that they have to keep up with the quality knowing that in this town they would just have to close shop if they dont keep up with that quality, Im not sure, just saying as ive had alot of experience in the food industry working anywhere from mcds to fine dining.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18277
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 10:39:27 (permalink)
    I've never been to a Five Guys, and from what I've read and heard I wouldnlt want to go to one. It's my understandnig that they cook all their burgers to well-done, and will not deviate from that. And now I learn that they "squish only once." Squishing even once results in a dry, tasteless burger.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 11:25:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I've never been to a Five Guys, and from what I've read and heard I wouldnlt want to go to one. It's my understandnig that they cook all their burgers to well-done, and will not deviate from that. And now I learn that they "squish only once." Squishing even once results in a dry, tasteless burger.

they do cook all the way through, but they are never dry, and never tasteless. However, since they do cook them through, I'm sure the fact they are not dry will not change your mind. I just wanted to point out that your assumption is not correct, in this case.

IMO, Five Guys is a bit over priced, but they still do a great job. However, I have only been to the original locations, and not to any franchised place. So, I have no idea what they're doing in NJ or NC or MO or UT.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 11:43:12 (permalink)
    For anyone who wants to read more about Five Guys Burgers and Fries:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11046

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18476

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9829

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7250

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4695

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19910

One by billyboy, with pix:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25383

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24322

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24030

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22668

This one's by ellen4641:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20783

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7551

One started by Michael Hoffman:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13661

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18354

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16089

Another by Ellen4641:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14479

And, the[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1092']Offical Roadfood.com Review[/url].

Photo from the review:

Last, but not least, the October 14, 2008 [url='http://www.roadfooddigest.com/post/2008/10/Roadfood2c-Not3b-But.aspx']Roadfood Digest Article [/url]by Michael Stern.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 12:05:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

they do cook all the way through, but they are never dry, and never tasteless. However, since they do cook them through, I'm sure the fact they are not dry will not change your mind. I just wanted to point out that your assumption is not correct, in this case.

IMO, Five Guys is a bit over priced, but they still do a great job. However, I have only been to the original locations, and not to any franchised place. So, I have no idea what they're doing in NJ or NC or MO or UT.

All I can say is that I don't eat well-done burgers, and I don't eat burgers that have been pressed with a spatula.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 16:05:52 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

All I can say is that I don't eat well-done burgers, and I don't eat burgers that have been pressed with a spatula.

I know that. You've made the point before, which is why I said the fact that they aren't dry, probably won't change your mind. I wasn't trying to change your mind, just letting you know that your assumption wasn't correct; the burgers at Five Guys are not dry. I'm not expecting you to try them. Just like I won't be back at Waffle House anytime soon, thanks to a bunch of rotten apples in the WH chain that I had the displeasure of going to. But, that's not to say your experiences at Waffle House have been anything less than stellar. You seem to like it. And, as I said, I have yet to go to a franchised Five Guys - I've only been to the original locations, which are still company owned and operated. I don't think I could stomach the disappointment of going to Five Guys in Ohio if it wasn't just as good as the original.
    Grillnut
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 16:43:51 (permalink)
    I'd love Five Guys if they didn't insist on cooking the burgers well done. But they're definitely better than the average fast-food burger.
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 17:05:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

For anyone who wants to read more about Five Guys Burgers and Fries:

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/14 17:17:08 (permalink)
    One thing about Five Guys is they sure give you ample amount of good fries. Their burgers are above average but not super.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/15 08:28:33 (permalink)
    I dont know anyone who can eat that many fries so its a waste IMO.I went last week and got the worst burger so far,The bun was stale and it was a sloppy mess to eat.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/15 19:53:25 (permalink)
    quote:

Plain and simple, they don't want to be sued. The founders live in the land of lawyers (Metro DC) and remember well all the successful NOVA Jack-in-the-Box franchises closing suddenly after an e-coli scare that happened in Seattle.

As I wrote on another Five Guys thread:

"BTW: if you're a restaurant frying "fresh" ground beef and don't cook the product until the juice starts to run clear, you're a fool. It does you no good to point to SYSCO which has a legion of lawyers to point back at you and/or to their anonymous processors: it's your hard-earned retail name on the line.

Cook it well. There is no other sane choice at this level of the restaurant biz".

Even though they fry until the juice runs clear, their product is many "cuts" above any "mega-chain" and every bit the equal of the West Coast legend "In-N-Out"
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/15 19:57:26 (permalink)
    Well done is none.
    ppezalla
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/15 21:25:05 (permalink)
    I pulled into a motel in Alexandria VA at about 9 in the evening, checked in and asked at the desk where I might find some food. She told me to drive north and I would find Chilis, TGI Fridays, etc, etc. A depressing list but it was late, I was tired and had just driven 750 miles so I drove north.

The first place I saw was an empty Five Guys with an empty parking lot. I had never heard of the place and the lack of customers was not promising but I went in. First thing I saw was a big pile of 50lb sacks of potatoes with a sign proclaiming "today's potatoes are from Sugar City, Idaho." That sold me on the place.

Got a giant buger with cheese and bacon and a huge sack of fries. Absolutely worth the 750 mile drive - a great meal.

And today I learned that Five Guys is opening in Oak Park, IL. A 2 mile drive for me.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/15 23:32:57 (permalink)
    The first 'Five Guys' I have seen in Southern Indiana/Louisville is under construction in New Albany Indiana right now. It will share a location parking lot with a new (large) 'Chic-Fil-A'. Two buildings- one common parking area.

Side note- These two stores are being built in what was the parking lot for an old "SuperPetz" store...Where we have been buying our Scotties the goldfish they play with in their pool. Now we'll have to go a few miles furter east to Pet's Mart to do the same purchase!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/15 23:49:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

The first 'Five Guys' I have seen in Southern Indiana/Louisville is under construction in New Albany Indiana right now. It will share a location parking lot with a new (large) 'Chic-Fil-A'. Two buildings- one common parking area.

Side note- These two stores are being built in what was the parking lot for an old "SuperPetz" store...Where we have been buying our Scotties the goldfish they play with in their pool. Now we'll have to go a few miles furter east to Pet's Mart to do the same purchase!!

See. Another good reason not to patronize Five Guys.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 08:18:47 (permalink)
    quote:

Well done is none.

I'm curious: I assume you like it cooked, so how do you like your burger? Warm pink middle? Cool pink middle? Oozing warm red juices? Oozing cool red juices?
    Shalondara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 08:52:02 (permalink)
    I had not realized this would start such a ruckus...I was simply stating my experience and thought it would lead to other happy diner outers....in my opinion, which you can take as a grain of salt....everyone will enjoy food in their own ways. Everyone has different pallets....nobody can be exactly alike in their tastes which is good for me as that would lead to a world of boring people.

And one thing, it doesnt matter where a restaurant is...so whoever made a comment bout it being next to a pet store thats kind of closed mind style...hidden gems are all over the place. FOR example, in Milwaukee we have quite a few ethnic food places that are simply to die for and have been written up in the paper by Dennis Getto (could be wrong on his spelling) he will rate food places up to 5 stars on taste and satisfaction...anyways he goes allllll over even in the worst parts of town even to hole in the wall restaurants...if we all sat there and said, we wont go there cuz of this that and the other, thats highway robbery to our pallets. Part of dining isnt simply going just to well known, or whatever, the whole thing bout not cooking for yourself is to dine out and to enjoy the food..thats what its all about. So I started this thread with OMG I love five guys...its not next to anything spectacular, but I still went. Its actually in a mini mall. I say WHO CARES...the food is what I go for! this is Roadfood correct? roadfood is ANYWHERE.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 09:12:58 (permalink)
    I do not believe that you understood the "pet store" posts. I think that the poster was stating that a nice "mom and pop" pet store was closed to make room for two "chain" restaurants and now the poster has no choice but to go to a "chain" pet store to buy supplies. It had nothing to do with location; it was all about "chains" taking over.
    Shalondara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 09:16:53 (permalink)
    well said .....was taken the wrong way. Doesnt matter though. I was simply giving my suggestion. When I went on the tour, it was wonderful to hear so many ideas and suggestions and I was driven to try to find something I could share and enjoy.Just seems to me some people are going in this too deep. I didnt want to cause drama.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 09:50:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

quote:

Well done is none.

I'm curious: I assume you like it cooked, so how do you like your burger? Warm pink middle? Cool pink middle? Oozing warm red juices? Oozing cool red juices?

I prefer mine raw, but when cooked I like them warm in the middle and a bit more red than pink.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 11:41:22 (permalink)
    Medium raw and I don't need no stinking salad!

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 11:49:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Shalondara

I had not realized this would start such a ruckus...

If we didn't banter, then this place wouldn't be nearly as fun. Nothing is safe.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 12:09:41 (permalink)
    Never any salad! My food eats salad.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Joint 2008/10/16 13:42:22 (permalink)
    I like my burger rare with a cool pink inside, never any lettuce, tomato or onion but sometimes blue cheese. There are several independent restaurants around here that will cook my burger to order, I will stick to them over a chain any day.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1