Five Guys Burgers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Kodachrome
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 09:58:30 (permalink)
I'm not sure who "they" is, but "they" (and you?) have a pretty messed up version of what makes fast-food.

Chain =/= Fast-Food

Just because something is a chain does not mean it is fast-food. TGI Fridays, Outback, Red Lobster, Cracker Barrel, all chains but none fast food.

Additionally, a "lower class" chain (McDonalds, Wendys, Quiznos, Five Guys, Waffle House, Subway) does not always equal fast food either.

Why would Waffle House be considered fast food when a local diner having a similar menu would not be considered fast food?

I have no problem calling it "Chain food" or having a "Chain / Fast-Food Forum" but lumping all chains into a fast-food category is just silly.

Five Guys may be a chain, but it is certainly not a "fast-food" chain.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 10:23:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kodachrome

I'm not sure who "they" is, but "they" (and you?) have a pretty messed up version of what makes fast-food.

Chain =/= Fast-Food

Just because something is a chain does not mean it is fast-food. TGI Fridays, Outback, Red Lobster, Cracker Barrel, all chains but none fast food.

Additionally, a "lower class" chain (McDonalds, Wendys, Quiznos, Five Guys, Waffle House, Subway) does not always equal fast food either.

Why would Waffle House be considered fast food when a local diner having a similar menu would not be considered fast food?

I have no problem calling it "Chain food" or having a "Chain / Fast-Food Forum" but lumping all chains into a fast-food category is just silly.

The admins here have already created a "Chain / Fast-Food Forum" and your opinion (any other than their own, actually) of what should be in there is sorta irrelevant. I don't mean that offensively, it simply is the truth - they alone make that decision. If you examine the contents of the Fast Food Franchise forum (FFF)(http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=27), you'll discover that what you are saying is "just silly" is in fact what has occurred there.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18445
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 10:39:04 (permalink)
quote:

Chain =/= Fast-Food

You're preaching to the choir here.
Kodachrome
Junior Burger
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 11:01:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

The admins here have already created a "Chain / Fast-Food Forum" and your opinion (any other than their own, actually) of what should be in there is sorta irrelevant. I don't mean that offensively, it simply is the truth - they alone make that decision. If you examine the contents of the Fast Food Franchise forum (FFF)(http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=27), you'll discover that what you are saying is "just silly" is in fact what has occurred there.

I'm aware that it occurred, but it is called the "Fast-Food Franchises forum" - not the Franchises forum.

All franchise discussion shouldn't be there, Five Guys being an example of that.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 11:05:40 (permalink)
shouldn't - yes.

Is - also yes.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 11:11:16 (permalink)
Consider a comma to be located between Fast Food and Franchises and you'll get the picture. It's supposed to include fast food, chains and franchises. And if you are unhappy with that perhaps you ought to take it up with the forum administration.
Kodachrome
Junior Burger
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 11:19:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by jim hilton

Five Guys isn"t national.

Right. They're just in eight states and the District of Columbia: CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, DISTRICT of COLUMBIA, MARYLAND, NEW YORK, NORTH CAROLINA, PENNSYLVANIA, SOUTH CAROLINA AND VIRGINIA.

I have news for you, that's a fast food chain.

I've got no problemw with the Administrator or the forum, I had a problem with a statement like that that you made.

quote:

But then with a comment like this i'm not sure exactly what side you are on, either you see every "chain" as being the "evil fast food demons that plague true elitist road-fooders" or you recognize that some chains deliver a good product through the use of strict management, fresh ingrediants, and quality control.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 12:02:56 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jim hilton

Five Guys isn"t national.

Right. They're just in eight states and the District of Columbia: CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, DISTRICT of COLUMBIA, MARYLAND, NEW YORK, NORTH CAROLINA, PENNSYLVANIA, SOUTH CAROLINA AND VIRGINIA.

I have news for you, that's a fast food chain.

I've got no problemw with the Administrator or the forum, I had a problem with a statement like that that you made.

quote:

But then with a comment like this i'm not sure exactly what side you are on, either you see every "chain" as being the "evil fast food demons that plague true elitist road-fooders" or you recognize that some chains deliver a good product through the use of strict management, fresh ingrediants, and quality control.

OK. Here's the deal. Five Guys is a fast food, chain place. That's No. 1. No. 2: I have absolutely nothing against chains. I may not eat in some, but that's because I choose not to. For instance, I don't eat at McDonalds, but I do get a cup of coffee to go from there several mornings each week. I won't go to Olive Garden or Red Lobster, but I will go to Morton's and Ruth's Chris. I am a big fan of Waffle House and White Castle, but I don't do Taco Bell or Krystal.
Kodachrome
Junior Burger
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 17:03:32 (permalink)
Just because you say "OK. Here's the deal. Five Guys is a fast food, chain place. " does not make it so. You have failed to tell me how it at all qualifies as a fast food restaurant.

Number 2 I agree with, I guess we'll agree to disagree.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 17:29:23 (permalink)
Kodachrome: is Waffle House, in your opinion, a fast food place?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 18:26:22 (permalink)
quote:

Just because you say "OK. Here's the deal. Five Guys is a fast food, chain place. " does not make it so. You have failed to tell me how it at all qualifies as a fast food restaurant.

Well, let's see. You walk in. You place your order. Someone cooks it. You get it. Just like Burger King, where you walk in. You place your order. Someone cooks it. You get it. Just like Wendy's, where you walk in. You place your order. Someone cooks it. You get it. Just like White Castle, where you walk in. You place your order. Someone cooks it. You get it.

I don't know. It seems to me that it qualifies as fast food just as much as Burger King, Wendy's and White Castle.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3726
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 18:33:21 (permalink)
I go to Five Guys quite often. I consider it fast food. When I want lunch in a hurry, it is the place that I will go. It is better than Burger King and Mickey D's and Wendy's but it is fast food.........hey sometimes, we gotta go for it.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 21:12:19 (permalink)
One "Five Guys" thread is in Fast Food Franchises, the other thread is in Hamburgers. To quote Mr. Emerson" A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
acer2x
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 446
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/05 22:15:49 (permalink)
How do the burgers compare to the "Double-Double" at In-N-Out ?
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/06 10:46:04 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Well, let's see. You walk in. You place your order. Someone cooks it. You get it. Just like Burger King, where you walk in. You place your order. Someone cooks it. You get it. Just like Wendy's, where you walk in. You place your order. Someone cooks it. You get it. Just like White Castle, where you walk in. You place your order. Someone cooks it. You get it.

I don't know. It seems to me that it qualifies as fast food just as much as Burger King, Wendy's and White Castle.

I see your point. But I wouldn't put Five Guys in the same lot with BK, Wendy's, White Castle, etc.

And, at Wendy's, BK and the like, your burger may already be made BEFORE you order it, which is not the cast at Five Guys.
As is not the case at WH.

They're good burgers. But they are a franchise.

njkim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/06 12:14:37 (permalink)
I just heard of Five Guys Burgers for the first time, they are opening one in the Philly/NJ area. Any suggestions on what to order? Is the place normally packed? Thanks. I love a good burger, looking forward to this.
Kim
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/06 13:08:09 (permalink)
If you get the fries .... be sure you have someone with you to share them !!! Egads ... I've never seen so much fries !
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/06 20:49:22 (permalink)
Kim, you'll know what to order. They make a good burger, and the fries are way better than most. The only thing that will surprise you is that you just spent about eight bucks for a burger, fries, and soda.
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2005/12/08 16:33:29 (permalink)
I saw the Five Guys review posted today and thought I'd check them out.
Since I'm about 1000 miles from the closest location I sent my little brother 9who lives in Richmond, VA) to take a look. below find his after-action report.

"Never one to turn down the chance to stuff my face with a good burger, I went to 5 Guys today for the first time. Was it the best burger I've ever had? No. But it was up there and a lot better than most burgers you get out. First of all, a regular burger is really a double burger so you get a lot to eat. The beef is very good and hand made. The rolls are good too. I had a Bacon Cheeseburger with sautéed mushrooms (that they left off). I liked it a lot and will definitely go back.

The fries are outstanding! If memory serves, this chain was started by some guys from Maryland and you can taste the Ocean City influence in their fries. Cut in long, thick, equal sides, they're cooked in peanut oil just like on the boardwalk. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, I could almost hear the Ferris wheel and the breaking waves in the background as I ate them (:>))"

Thanks for the heads-up!
577NitroExpress
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2006/01/19 10:28:43 (permalink)
Does anyone know what type of meat Five Guys uses? I say sirloin, but my brother say chuck.

What say you?
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2006/04/03 03:23:30 (permalink)
A good read about Five Guys from today's Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/02/AR2006040200723.html?nav=hcmodule
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 446
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2006/04/03 08:04:16 (permalink)
Thanks. Interesting article. I think it shows what it takes (and that it can be done) to maintain high quality in a ff franchise. Self described control freaks, family business. They put their vision of the business and their families before the pressure of stockholder profits. They grow the business at their own pace. I can't picture Ray Kroc leaping over a counter to prevent the cook from mushing the burger twice instead of once.
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 642
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2006/04/03 12:50:42 (permalink)
Mrs QFan and I lived in the D.C. area for 23 yrs before we moved south 10 yrs ago. Used to pay $7/$8 (at that time) for a Clydes hamburger which was deemed by most to be numero uno in Washington. Boy, I wish we'd had Five Guys back then! I haven't tried one yet, but I sure intend to next time we're up that way to visit family.

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Five Guys Burgers 2006/04/03 18:43:28 (permalink)
Clyde's is mighty fine burger. Better than Five Guys IMO.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1