Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Five Guys Burgers

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 54
mek

• Total Posts: 123
Five Guys Burgers Tue, 10/4/05 2:23 PM (permalink)
Just an fyi-

Five Guys has opened at Harborplace in Baltimore.
I have now gone there 3 times and can honestly say they make the best "chain" burger I have ever had.
I hope the quality remains consistent.

MEK

jbbohland

• Total Posts: 9
    RE: Five Guys Burgers Sat, 11/12/05 11:28 AM (permalink)
    They just opened up a couple in Virginia Beach as well. Very good burger. Hands down the best "fast" burger I have had in the area. I love the fact that you can pick exactally what you want on it.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
      RE: Five Guys Burgers Sat, 11/12/05 1:06 PM (permalink)
      They've opened one in Scranton (PA) too, haven't been there yet, but it was named "Best Burger" in the free weekly paper's reader poll. Nearly all of the other winners weren't chains and are all pretty good, so I'll eventually give it a shot.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
        RE: Five Guys Burgers Sat, 11/12/05 1:45 PM (permalink)
        Isn't it amazing how this Five Guys stuff manages always to elude the fast food dungeon?

trudyn

• Total Posts: 117
          RE: Five Guys Burgers Sat, 11/12/05 9:44 PM (permalink)
          Five Guys isn't national.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Five Guys Burgers Sat, 11/12/05 10:11 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by jim hilton

Five Guys isn"t national.

Right. They're just in eight states and the District of Columbia: CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, DISTRICT of COLUMBIA, MARYLAND, NEW YORK, NORTH CAROLINA, PENNSYLVANIA, SOUTH CAROLINA AND VIRGINIA.

I have news for you, that's a fast food chain.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
              RE: Five Guys Burgers Sun, 11/13/05 6:15 PM (permalink)
              Well, the fast food dungeon hasn't been open for business all that long and no argument here- it's a fast food franchise. Moderator, relocate the thread to the appropriate forum with all due haste. The fact remains, as chains go they make a damn good burger and fries. Sure beats the hell out of any of the frozen hockey puck places.

johns72604

• Total Posts: 74
                RE: Five Guys Burgers Sun, 11/13/05 6:56 PM (permalink)
                at least they still cook your food to order.

trudyn

• Total Posts: 117
                  RE: Five Guys Burgers Tue, 11/15/05 2:46 AM (permalink)
                  Oops

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                    RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 1:29 AM (permalink)
                    How many Five Guys places are there?

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                      RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 10:21 AM (permalink)
                      A ton of 'em. It's really expanded fast lately. They have totally gone corporate.

According to the website: 62 currently open. 11 more coming soon. Throughout Deleware, Maryland, D.C., Virginia, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania and South Carolina. There are not currently any in Connecticut, but, judging from the website, it's in the plans. And my guess, is that since WV is now a commuter ride from DC, WV will get some Five Guys in the future too.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                        RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 11:03 AM (permalink)
                        Hello All,
                        Here in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley, there is one in Staunton, Va. and one will be opening soon in Harrisonburg. I have
                        a co-worker who went to the one in Staunton and it flipped him out. The burger (two patties, which he didn't expect) was great
                        and so many fries in a small order that he and a friend didn't finish them. He was impressed, actually, overwhelmed by the
                        toppings. One burger made two meals for him, and he is a big eater. His only semi-complaint, which also impressed him, was
                        that he had to wait ten minutes for his burger to be made because it was made to order. He thought it would be fast food, but
                        it wasn't prepared fast, but rather made to order. I await their opening in Harrisonburg, and will tell you my experience.
                        Take Care,
                        Fieldthistle

Michael Hoffman

RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 12:53 PM (permalink)
                          My goodness. I cannot tell you how surprised I am to find this thread about a fast-foot fanchised chain still on the home page and not listed under fast-food franchised chains.

dereksmith

• Total Posts: 8
                            RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 1:02 PM (permalink)
                            Does this mean that Dreamland BBQ thread should also be moved since they are a franchised/corporate entity now?

mek

RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 1:36 PM (permalink)
                              I guess Corky's barbecue has to go under fast-food chains, now, as well.
                              For God's sake- I first read about Five Guys on this website, when looking for places in Virginia.
                              When I opened this thread, I had no idea they had expanded up and down the East Coast.
                              What in God's name is the problem, Michael Hoffman?
                              Give it a break.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
                                RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 1:48 PM (permalink)
                                I've explained the problem (or at least a pat of it) in another thread - but to sum, there are three types of threads that have been moved to the FFF (fast food franchise)

1) threads about franchised fast food eateries like McDonalds.

2) threads about franchised eateries that are not of the 'fast food' type. Pioneer Chicken and Waffle House would be examples

3) threads about non-franchised eateries that serve fast food. In-n-Out would be an example.

I am uncertain whether "Five Guys" is a 1 or a 3 - and I won't debate that - but it does belong to one of them.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                  RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

My goodness. I cannot tell you how surprised I am to find this thread about a fast-foot fanchised chain still on the home page and not listed under fast-food franchised chains.

But it won't be surprising if you manage to run your post count to 4000 with these worthless rantings. Filet Mignon, indeed! pb

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                                    RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 2:16 PM (permalink)
                                    Hello All,
                                    TJ Jackson is right about Five Guys being in fast food.
                                    It is a new Fast Food operation, but not vastly known, and so is not labeled as "Evil" fast food.
                                    It is also regional, thus far, so some don't like to put it in fast food.
                                    It is not a family run place, but a franchise.
                                    When the Fast Food Forum was created, I believe, it was hoped that a compromise could be achieved between
                                    local eateries and cruisines and quality vs. franchise foods, which are by many, considered to be of a lesser quality
                                    and a more uniformed product. I could be wrong about this.
                                    Five Guys is definitely slow fast food, but the debate could be if their quality and product can be worthy of Roadfood or
                                    merely another McDonald's, which again, ticks people off to say that McDonald's doesn't produce good food and isn't roadfood.
                                    I don't care where it is put because I check all of the threads at Roadfood.
                                    I just care about what people say about the food.
                                    Take Care,
                                    Fieldthistle

TJ Jackson

RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 2:38 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by porkbeaks

But it won't be surprising if you manage to run your post count to 4000 with these worthless rantings. Filet Mignon, indeed! pb
                                      *laff*

You honestly think MH cares about his post count?

Some others - such as yourself - may care about this, but I think you're considerably off the mark here.

mek

RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 3:40 PM (permalink)

That's what happens when you don't spend hours on sites like this- my fault for offering information to the community about a burger joint opening in Baltimore. An honest mistake.

I had no idea about the different classifications for offering information on this forum.

Believe me- I will never do it again.

I have read different forums on this site over the years and must say that I have been amazed at some of the bickering I have seen.

Other than the usual childhood maladies, I never had any major health problems in my life.
                                        Unfortunately, I have recently been diagnosed with an incurable, but, hopefully, treatable and manageable disease.

To all of you, whose writings I have enjoyed on this forum over the years, who have not engaged in the petty infighting I have observed, I wish you all the best.

mek

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                                          RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 3:43 PM (permalink)
                                          At approximately 14:23 on October 4, 2005, a thread was formed on a "5 guys" hamburger joint by a suspect going only by the name Mek. The thread went unanswered for 8 days-

DUN-DA-DUN-DUN (It's supposed to be "Dragnet" music)

On October 12 and the days following, Thread Officers Hoffman and Jackson staked out the scene. While others remained ignorant, they knew that the crime of the century was being perpetrated- This was bigger than the larceny of the Mona Lisa, the Watergate break-in, and the Lindbergh kidnapping wrapped into one. A crime that would make Sacco and Vanzetti look like Penn and Teller, OJ look like Walter Payton, and John Gacy like Art Linkletter.

DUN-DA-DUN-DUN-DUNNNNN

Yes...indeed the poster had placed the "5 Guys Burgers" on the hamburger thread rather than the Fast Food Franchise thread. Ohhh the horror...

(Insert screams here)

DUN-DA-DA, DUN-DA-DUN-DA-DA, DUN-DA-DAAAAAA.....

Life would never be the same. Riots and fires started in cities all over the world. The moon broke free from the earth's orbit. Oprah's show was canceled, and Crisco became America's Number 1 health food.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                            RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 3:44 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
                                            Originally posted by porkbeaks

*laff*

You honestly think MH cares about his post count?

Some others - such as yourself - may care about this, but I think you're considerably off the mark here.

I don't think MH cares about the quantity or quality of his posts. pb

dereksmith

• Total Posts: 8
                                              RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 3:54 PM (permalink)
                                              Other than being franchised, how does Five Guys qualify as fast food? The burgers are made from fresh ingredients and made to order. How is it any different than a "roadfood" hamburger joint in your town? How is it any different than somewhere like Dreamland and its franchised locations. I understand and totally agree with the venom used on a McDonald's or other corporate beheemoth. Please explain.

TJ Jackson

RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                                Wendy's is made from fresh ingredients and made to order as well.

johns72604

• Total Posts: 74
                                                  RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  Not the Wendy's that I have been to, because it never takes more than a coupls seconds for my food to be in front of me.

TJ Jackson

RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 4:55 PM (permalink)
                                                    And the fresh ingredients?

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                                                      • Location: Wilmington, DE
                                                      RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/16/05 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      Last time I was at a Wendy's, and it's been many years now, they didn't start with a ball of fresh, not frozen, ground beef, form it into a patty and cook it right there and then. Putting a piece of lettuce on a burger that's already been on the grill for a while doesn't make it "made to order" to me.

Generally, fast food is what most of us think of- walk up to a counter, order, pick it up, usually pre- or partially made, usually wrapped to go, sit down, eat and if a civilized person, bus your table.

Five guys is fast food and franchised. Frankly, in the big scheme of things of importance I don't care if an errant misplaced thread sneaks through once in a while but apparently some do and very much so. So for god's sake, before there is a riot move the damn thread. Hoffman has his panties in a bunch because his cherished Waffle House has been branded fast food franchise. It's at least the latter term and personally all those pad site chains can and should be relegated to the dungeon of misfit eateries.

Stagger

• Total Posts: 10
                                                        • Location: Southington, CT
                                                        RE: Five Guys Burgers Wed, 11/30/05 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                                        Well they are opening a location about a 5 min walk from where I work in Avon, CT so fast food or not, I'm happy.

Kodachrome

• Total Posts: 37
                                                          RE: Five Guys Burgers Sun, 12/4/05 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          Fresh cut fries, burgers that have never touched a freezer, fresh buns everyday, 10 minute wait, peanuts on the floor, guy at counter screams out your order number when it is ready, vinegar on the table for the fries.

Other than it being franchised, how does it qualify as a fast food joint?

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            RE: Five Guys Burgers Sun, 12/4/05 3:07 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Kodachrome

Fresh cut fries, burgers that have never touched a freezer, fresh buns everyday, 10 minute wait, peanuts on the floor, guy at counter screams out your order number when it is ready, vinegar on the table for the fries.

Other than it being franchised, how does it qualify as a fast food joint?

Gee, they've classified Waffle House that way, and there's nothing fast food about Waffle House -- Wait in line for a place to sit, give your order to the waitress or waiter, then wait till it's been cooked to order.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 54

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com