The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Five Guys.

BakersBoy

• Total Posts: 302
Five Guys. Fri, 09/3/04 12:12 PM (permalink)
To all:
I don't know whether this is good news or bad news. My favorite burger shack is expanding and I worry that this will dilute the product. The place I am talking abot is Five Guys. They had a little store at Beauregard and King in Alexandria, Va. We're talking walk-up, take home or eat in your car. For the folks who were waiting to order, they had a barrel of peanuts and local newspapers. They cooked their french fries fresh and would always tell you where the potatoes came from and what type they were. This was a graet neighborhood place.

Well in the past few years they have expanded through the Washington, D.C. area and now according to their website they are expanding again from Delaware to North Carolina. Also they are coming to Annapolis, Md. where I live. I'll let you know how it turns out. These are really truly good burgers. I haven't been there for about a year and I hope that they maintain their quality.

If anyone is interested here is the website: http://www.fiveguys.com.

BB

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
    RE: Five Guys. Fri, 09/3/04 1:32 PM (permalink)
    *deleted* *thanks BB :-)*

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
      RE: Five Guys. Wed, 09/8/04 4:01 PM (permalink)

I can't recommend Five Guys. Wildly inconsistent food. One day it is great, the next putrid. Burgers can be overcooked or juicy. Fries can be cold from sitting there, or amazing examples of peanut fried goodness. The wide swings in quality make me steer away from the Alexandria, VA store.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
        RE: Five Guys. Thu, 09/9/04 9:45 AM (permalink)
        I have only been to one in downtonw DC. I got a couple of hot dogs which were excellent. The peanuts were good, fried were simply okay.

I'd go back if I was in the area, but not make a special trip.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
          RE: Five Guys. Thu, 09/9/04 10:24 AM (permalink)
          So what you are saying renfrew is that the unfried peanuts were better than the fried ones. How about a little proofreading.

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
            RE: Five Guys. Thu, 09/9/04 10:45 AM (permalink)
            For "Five Guys" fans, a bad sign. When reviewing hamburgers available in the Washington D.C. area, the Washingtonian magazine said that Five Guys' burgers "were so lacking in appeal when sampled that they did not warrant review." Ouch! www.washingtonian.com/dining/greathamburgers.html

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
              RE: Five Guys. Thu, 09/9/04 10:46 AM (permalink)
              Id rather annoy you.

Proofreading is overrated I'd say. More of an adventure to figure out what people are saying.

And yes, the peanut oil fried potatoes were not as good as the unfried peanuts.

The hot dogs were fine. Nothing special. The burgers looked good, but I did not have one.

Funny though that usually a place has too much on the menu so the quality overall suffers. These guys have it right conceptually, but there is no excuse for not executing properly on such a simplified menu.

hamman

• Total Posts: 1
                RE: Five Guys. Wed, 10/27/04 3:20 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by BakersBoy

To all:
                I don't know whether this is good news or bad news. My favorite burger shack is expanding and I worry that this will dilute the product. The place I am talking abot is Five Guys. They had a little store at Beauregard and King in Alexandria, Va. We're talking walk-up, take home or eat in your car. For the folks who were waiting to order, they had a barrel of peanuts and local newspapers. They cooked their french fries fresh and would always tell you where the potatoes came from and what type they were. This was a graet neighborhood place.

Well in the past few years they have expanded through the Washington, D.C. area and now according to their website they are expanding again from Delaware to North Carolina. Also they are coming to Annapolis, Md. where I live. I'll let you know how it turns out. These are really truly good burgers. I haven't been there for about a year and I hope that they maintain their quality.

BB

I recently bought into the franchise. I can tell you that it appears that all the franchisee's are VERY concerned about keeping the quality consistent.
                In addition, the owner of the annapolis store was the manager of the corporate Woodbridge store for EIGHT years, so you probably will be happy with the consistency

johnb

• Total Posts: 7
                  RE: Five Guys. Thu, 10/28/04 5:11 PM (permalink)

BB

I recently bought into the franchise. I can tell you that it appears that all the franchisee's are VERY concerned about keeping the quality consistent.
                  In addition, the owner of the annapolis store was the manager of the corporate Woodbridge store for EIGHT years, so you probably will be happy with the consistency

Hammon

I have tried to look into their franchise program but have not gotten any reply. How does one get then to respond?

crabbymatt

• Total Posts: 10
                    RE: Five Guys. Fri, 11/12/04 12:13 PM (permalink)
                    Okay Folks, so I've been to both the Alexandria, VA (one of the originals) and BB, Delaware (Bethany Beach for you non-locals, one of the new places) and have found that the burger is consistent at both. So they're not the best in the world (everyone has their own opinion about that), but they are worth a stop and taste!! They have kept their great quality and still serve them hot with a bit of "hole in the wall" grilled right in front of you deliciousness.

Give me some fried onions and mushrooms with bacon and cheese and I'm good to go!!!

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                      RE: Five Guys. Mon, 04/4/05 8:00 PM (permalink)
                      I drove by the one in Woodbridge today but chose not to stop. The place was much bigger than I anticipated. I thought they had a sign saying they were voted "best hamburger".....and that was all I could read as I drove by. Did I miss anything by not stopping?

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                        RE: Five Guys. Tue, 04/5/05 12:00 AM (permalink)
                        All I can tell you Carlton is that when I drove by the one in Woodbidge in November, I stopped. And now there's no mystery about the place.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Five Guys. Tue, 04/5/05 2:08 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by BakersBoy

To all:

BB

Never been there... Send them an annonymous postcard with your thoughts.. Cant hurt, and may make them think before screwing something up...

wilewil

• Total Posts: 99
                            RE: Five Guys. Tue, 04/5/05 1:08 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by carlton pierre

I drove by the one in Woodbridge today but chose not to stop. The place was much bigger than I anticipated. I thought they had a sign saying they were voted "best hamburger".....and that was all I could read as I drove by. Did I miss anything by not stopping?

The WB location is not an original, but may be a company store not a franchise. It has one advantage over most all of the others, it is a large place and doesn't usually get crowded. It used to be a Boston Market. The burgers are, in my opinion as good there as at the "original" locations. I like the fact that they are hot off the grill, free formed, and with a variety of toppings available. The cooking can vary some, and they won't cook less than well done (like nearly every place who can afford a lawyer). The fries are twice fried and tend to be a mite greasy. Most people think they are great. I agree, unless you are unlucky and they have been sitting. Be aware that most of their DC area stores tend to have lines at meal times. Some, like the "original" on King Street at Beaureguard in west Alexandria don't really have seating.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                              RE: Five Guys. Tue, 04/5/05 8:43 PM (permalink)
                              Drove by again today,,,and did not stop.

Myrtle Beach

• Total Posts: 2
                                RE: Five Guys. Thu, 04/14/05 1:02 AM (permalink)
                                The expansion of Five Guys is a great thing. They are making sure that every store will always be just like the originals. They are even making there own bread at there bakery and having it shipped to every store every other day for freshness. They stand by there word and they are sticking to what they know best. "Burgers". They will even be in Myrtle Beach, SC soon. The franchise is growing so fast it is hard for every person interested to get a call back right away. Five Guys is the best.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com